HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zhitnik 4 yrs/$16 million

Closed Thread

Old
07-26-2005, 07:14 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 500
Zhitnik 4 yrs/$16 million

According to the bflo news, Mark Gandler thinks Zhitnik can get $4 million a year. Does anyone else think that's high, or that Gandler is high?

Are these guys going to try and push the salaries back to where they were?

Zhitnik had a chance to sign with the Sabres last summer but opted to wait until a new CBA was reached. According to the News, Zhitnik's former agent, Serge Levin, claimed the Sabres had offered a four-year, $16 million deal.

"I have no doubt we will get at least as much, counting the rollback," Gandler said. "So there's no regret yet. A lot of clubs would dearly like to have Alex, but teams need to see what the CBA is like and make a decision."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf050721.html

Old
07-26-2005, 07:22 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
According to the bflo news, Mark Gandler thinks Zhitnik can get $4 million a year. Does anyone else think that's high, or that Gandler is high?

Are these guys going to try and push the salaries back to where they were?

Zhitnik had a chance to sign with the Sabres last summer but opted to wait until a new CBA was reached. According to the News, Zhitnik's former agent, Serge Levin, claimed the Sabres had offered a four-year, $16 million deal.

"I have no doubt we will get at least as much, counting the rollback," Gandler said. "So there's no regret yet. A lot of clubs would dearly like to have Alex, but teams need to see what the CBA is like and make a decision."

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf050721.html
No way, Jose. I just don't think that Zhitnik's the type of player that will garner $4M in the new CBA environment. Earlier, I was thinking 3.25-3.5 or so, bot now I'm thinking that 2.5-3.0 ought to get him signed.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:24 AM
Rowley Birkin

I wouldn't have paid him that before the new CBA, let alone after it.

I would only pay that amount for an elite guy, like Gonchar. I'm with KB, $2.5m is a reasonable amount to pay Z.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Please note that it says
Quote:
"...counting the rollback"
which brings it down to $12.16 million total or $3.04 million per year over the life of the deal. I think he's close, but I also don't think a lot of teams are going to be trying to top it, nor even coming close.

07-26-2005, 07:46 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Please note that it says "counting the rollback" which brings it down to $12.16 million total or $3.04 million per year over the life of the deal. I think he's close, but I also don't think a lot of teams are going to be trying to top it, nor even coming close.
I think that Gandler means 4M per even after rollback. That's how I interpreted it.

Old
07-26-2005, 07:57 AM
N.Y. Orangeman

I love Z, I'd rather lose him and take the hit this year than pay him $4m. With what seems to be a bumper crops of UFAs coming next year and thereafter, there is no reason to take on a bad contract for a player who is going to be 33 years old when the season starts.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:21 AM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
I think he'll make 3.2 somewhere, hopefully here

Old
07-26-2005, 10:46 AM
Kruschiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I think that Gandler means 4M per even after rollback. That's how I interpreted it.
I read it the same way. But now I can see how it could go either way.

Old
07-26-2005, 10:59 AM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY

Old
07-26-2005, 11:20 AM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj@jj.com
I read it the same way. But now I can see how it could go either way.
I read it the same way. When an agent speaks in a way that can be interpreted 2 ways, it's usually correct to assume he means the more expensive way.

OTOH, I don't think that even an agent could think that their client is worth more after the 24% rollback and being out of the game for a full year.

Old
07-26-2005, 11:37 AM
MojoJojo

I think Zhitnik will see at least 3 mil a year. At that price there are easily four or five teams that would be in the market for him. Almost every team in the league needs a defenenseman, and he is among the top ten available.

As far as the 4 mil dollar offer, I remember it way back from the beginning of the lockout, before any talk about rollbacks were on the table.

Closed Thread