HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Most dysfunctional team to win a cup?

Old
07-08-2016, 10:10 AM
delled

vCash: 500
Most dysfunctional team to win a cup?

As the title says...

delled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 10:24 AM
luthar

Future or past winner?

luthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 10:27 AM
backburner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthar View Post
Future or past winner?
if you can tell the future let me know

backburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 10:39 AM
GIN ANTONIC

Dysfunctional like how? Unbalanced roster? Strong personalities? Came out of nowhere? Won a lot of crazy games/lots of OT?

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 10:44 AM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
I can't answer for the SC but will give you a perfect example of what I think he is referring to....

The 1986 New York Mets. Complete **** show.

Please read the article for how crazy it really was.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-new-york-mets

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 11:10 AM
SanAndreas

Quote:
Originally Posted by backburner View Post
if you can tell the future let me know

I'm thinking off the top of my head the 07 ducks.
Carlyle is well known to be a statistically terrible coach and there are large groups of people that say pronger niedermayer selanne etc dragged him kicking and screaming to a title.

SanAndreas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 11:15 AM
ForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIN ANTONIC View Post
Dysfunctional like how? Unbalanced roster? Strong personalities? Came out of nowhere? Won a lot of crazy games/lots of OT?
Ya, I'm wondering the same thing.

Unbalanced roster - I dunno... In recent years the '09 Penguins? More than any other recent winner the team seemed to have a lot of spare misfit parts. That team probably doesn't do much of anything if their two very elite centres don't both happen to have all time great playoff production that year.

Strong Personalities - I suspect that this is closest to what the OP means... I bunch of strong personalities that create a divided/tension filled team. Off the top of my head I can't think of one.

Came out of nowhere - Carolina in '06 perhaps? They made the final in '02, but didn't even make the playoffs in '03 and '04 and I think they have only made the playoffs once since then in '09(?).

Won a lot of crazy games/lots of OT - Didn't the '93 Canadiens go something like 10-0 in OT that year?

ForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 11:30 AM
HenriquesStache
KPalms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumNamePending View Post
Ya, I'm wondering the same thing.

Unbalanced roster - I dunno... In recent years the '09 Penguins? More than any other recent winner the team seemed to have a lot of spare misfit parts. That team probably doesn't do much of anything if their two very elite centres don't both happen to have all time great playoff production that year.

Strong Personalities - I suspect that this is closest to what the OP means... I bunch of strong personalities that create a divided/tension filled team. Off the top of my head I can't think of one.

Came out of nowhere - Carolina in '06 perhaps? They made the final in '02, but didn't even make the playoffs in '03 and '04 and I think they have only made the playoffs once since then in '09(?).

Won a lot of crazy games/lots of OT - Didn't the '93 Canadiens go something like 10-0 in OT that year?
Those Canes teams weren't to be taken lightly even in 2009 I'll never forget the meltdown the Devils had against the Canes in game 7 of the quarterfinals. Brodeur let's in two soft goals in the last minute and a half and just like that Carolina advanced

HenriquesStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 11:34 AM
fst6
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
I mean, Pens this year kinda. Started out really bad, won the cup with 3 guys who not many thought would play in the NHL this year having big impacts on forward, bad defense on paper (but clearly not on the ice) and a rookie goalie who barely played in the NHL before the playoffs.

But still, it will be remembered as Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang so it wont seem that way

07-08-2016, 11:36 AM
ForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenriquesStache View Post
Those Canes teams weren't to be taken lightly even in 2009 I'll never forget the meltdown the Devils had against the Canes in game 7 of the quarterfinals. Brodeur let's in two soft goals in the last minute and a half and just like that Carolina advanced
Ya, the Hurricanes of the aughts seemed to be a bit feast or famine. Three deep playoffs runs interspersed between seasons of no playoffs at all.

ForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 11:37 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Closest to a completely dysfunctional team I can remember to nearly winning the whole thing were the Flyers under Lavi with the whole "Dry Island" era going strong.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 12:10 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Closest to a completely dysfunctional team I can remember to nearly winning the whole thing were the Flyers under Lavi with the whole "Dry Island" era going strong.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Maybe that sort of translates to 2011/2012 Kings?

- Coaching change midway through the season (3 different coaches that year)
- Squeaked into playoffs as an 8th seed (1st 8th seed to win SC)
- Traded for Mike Richards + Jeff Carter who were part of the dysfunction in Philly

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 12:13 PM
Uncle Rotter

Montreal 1971. The coach was fired right after they won.

Uncle Rotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 12:16 PM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

'94 Rangers. Read "Losing the Edge".

07-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Star Kunitz

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by fst6 View Post
I mean, Pens this year kinda. Started out really bad, won the cup with 3 guys who not many thought would play in the NHL this year having big impacts on forward, bad defense on paper (but clearly not on the ice) and a rookie goalie who barely played in the NHL before the playoffs.

But still, it will be remembered as Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang so it wont seem that way
Eh...the Pens were playing like a well-oiled machine by the time the playoffs rolled around and there was a real sense of the team enjoying playing with each other. They're hardly the first team to turn things around after starting the season so poorly.

Generally speaking it's going to be next to impossible for a truly dysfunctional team to win a championship in a 30 team league with a salary cap. Seems like something that would happen more in the 70s/80s, but I'm too young to speak of specific instances.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 12:31 PM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
'94 Rangers. Read "Losing the Edge".
Will check that one out. I love weird and interesting reads about the sport, one of the reasons "The Rebel League" is always highly recommended by me.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2016, 12:47 PM
Weakside Lock
Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
They were the first team to come to my mind as well.

Weakside Lock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2016, 10:45 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
Montreal 1971. The coach was fired right after they won.
Came here for this one.
Captain Henri Richard said Al MacNeil was the worst coach he'd ever played for.

Imagine Crosby coming out and saying that about Sullivan or Bylsma.

Johnny Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 12:16 AM
crobro

86 Habs

crobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Voight
GB 66-67-96-10-?

vCash: 423
1994 NYR went from toast of the league to losing their coach right after they won & missing the playoffs the season after.

2016 Pens are another good example.

Voight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 10:31 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawked View Post
1994 NYR went from toast of the league to losing their coach right after they won & missing the playoffs the season after.
The Rangers made the playoffs in 1995, 1996, and 1997.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 11:36 AM
K Fleur
Intangibles Per Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawked View Post

2016 Pens are another good example.
They were playing a terrible system, with poor coaching and player usage at the beginning of the season, but I don't think that qualifies them as "dysfunctional". They were the best team in the league from January onward. The early season hot takes are humorous to look back at now.

K Fleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 01:48 PM
Big Phil

I would say the 1984 Canada Cup - Team Canada. Yes, they came together after a heated discussion from the Islanders players to the Oilers players. That was literally half of the team between those two Cup finalists. But they decided to put their differences aside and go out and beat the Russians because that was important to them. Must have been hard to team up with the young punks that stole your "5 in a row" run.

I'll also say, the Dallas Cowboys of 1995. The third Super Bowl in 4 years. Had a loose cannon of a coach in Barry Switzer who made some boneheaded calls. Had the whole image of drugs and such swirling around them in which Michael Irvin would eventually get charged with. They were erratic, but they won.

I'm also going to name the 1972 Team Canada team on this list. Poor team selections, players walking out and going home, Esposito calling out the country (still a classic though). This was not a team that looked like they were going to string out a comeback for the ages.

1967 Maple Leafs. They lost 10 games in a row at one point (has a Cup winner done that?) Punch Imlach was hospitalized during the season, they used 5 different goalies throughout the year thanks to injuries, they were old, they allowed more goals in the regular season than they scored (never happens to a Cup winner). Yet they all put it together for the playoffs by beating a great Hawks team and a dynasty Habs team.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 07:40 PM
Sutter pours bourbon
katabat.bandcamp*****

The '71 Canadiens might have banded together and become a closer, more tight-knit group against Al Smith. It's possible they rallied behind their hatred of their coach.

Sutter pours bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2016, 11:50 PM
Bart9349

Better than any Stanley Cup team, the most dysfunctional hockey team ever was the Soviet Red Army team.

The founder of Soviet hockey was Anatoli Tarasov. He was a beloved and respected teacher and father figure.

The hated but successful coach of the Soviet national team, however, was Vicktor Tikhonov. His record as coach, nevertheless, is impressive:

World Championship gold in 1978–1979, 1981–1983, 1986, 1989, 1990.
Olympics gold in 1984, 1988, 1992; silver in 1980.
1979 Challenge Cup and 1981 Canada Cup.
(Source: Wikipedia)

Tikhonov was a cold dictatorial control freak, giving the players little freedom since they were technically, at least, still part of the Red Army. Many of his players hated him and several defected to play in the NHL.

Many of the players despised their coach and his system of training. They endured harsh discipline. They faced harsh military justice for disobeying and were always under the surveillance by the KGB. They were often too distrustful of other players to share their plans to defect.

There is a good (but flawed) ESPN documentary on the Red Army hockey team.

Despite this insanity, these teams were among the best to ever skate on ice.

Last edited by Bart9349: 07-11-2016 at 12:06 AM.
Bart9349 is offline   Reply With Quote