HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordin Tootoo

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2005, 10:38 AM
vopatsrash

vCash: 500
Jordin Tootoo

Does anyone think that dreamy cat would marry me????

actually, I think i asked this about a year ago, so here it goes....where does everyone think he will/should be this season?

The last I remember was Claude Noel saying that he had improved but still wasn't there yet in terms of his skills. I also seem to remember him criticizing toots earlier in the season over getting sucked into too many fights that caused his ice time to diminish while he was in the box. He scored 10 goals and had 266 pims

Will he play in Milwaukee for another year where he can work on developing his skills with more ice time?
Will he be in Nashville because he should be in Nashville based on what he brings, even in a raw form?
Will he be in Nashville purely for marketing purposes?

My prediction is he'll be in nashville for the energy he brings and the marketing. As much as i like watching him play It wouldn't disappoint me if they determine he should be in milwaukee, either. If he needs to work on anything, I'm willing to wait for a more complete tootoo. If he's in nashville, i'll certainly enjoy the entertainment value.

Old
06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

does Martinek still not have the # of that moving vehicle that hit him?

Old
06-23-2005, 11:45 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Personally, I think trying to develop him into an offensive player is trying to squeeze a small hat onto a big head. It doesn't fit him, so why bother? I know he scored a bunch of goals in junior...but so did Scott Parker. Tootoo serves an important role as a pest\agitator for us..and I think it would be a foolish waste of time to leave him in Milwaukee next year to try to "round out his game." We have plenty of guys who can score, several guys who excel on the power play...and Tootoo services us by giving us those power plays. Don't tamper with that.

Old
06-23-2005, 12:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Personally, I think trying to develop him into an offensive player is trying to squeeze a small hat onto a big head. It doesn't fit him, so why bother? I know he scored a bunch of goals in junior...but so did Scott Parker. Tootoo serves an important role as a pest\agitator for us..and I think it would be a foolish waste of time to leave him in Milwaukee next year to try to "round out his game." We have plenty of guys who can score, several guys who excel on the power play...and Tootoo services us by giving us those power plays. Don't tamper with that.

No truer words......

Old
06-23-2005, 04:00 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
I have no idea exactly how many power plays were caused by Tootoo performing his "pest" duties, but they were fairly frequent.

He might eventually gain a very good offensive game, but his "pest" abilities are a huge, huge asset.

David

Old
06-23-2005, 04:24 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingle
I have no idea exactly how many power plays were caused by Tootoo performing his "pest" duties, but they were fairly frequent.

He might eventually gain a very good offensive game, but his "pest" abilities are a huge, huge asset.

David
bingo. A little known fact is that Tootoo drew more penalties than any one single player, in 2003-04.

Old
06-23-2005, 04:34 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to confuse Tootoo with an offensive player. That being said, rounding out his game could make him a legit 3rd line NHLer. It may never happen. It may be, as you say, trying to force a small hat onto a big head. I think Tootoo is much more valuable to us as a 3rd line winger, and if we think we can 'round his game' out into that of a serviceable third line winger, then we will be better off for it.

He doesn't need to be an offensive dynamo. But I don't see why he can't be a 10-15 goal/20-30 point a year player. If he can round some semblance of offense into his game, he'll be a deadly weapon. But I think the real reason he needs to be in Milwaukee is to mature as a player. Right now it's not his offense that holds him back; it's his defense. If he can learn to play within himself and within the system, he can play more than 5-8 minutes a night. Tootoo on the third line logging 12-15 minutes is going to scare the hell out of so many players.

Old
06-23-2005, 04:35 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
bingo. A little known fact is that Tootoo drew more penalties than any one single player, in 2003-04.
This is his best aspect and it's why my post above (the attempt to grow him into a 10+ minute per game player) is so relevant. Imagine how many more penalties he would draw if he actually played a regular 3rd line shift.

Old
06-23-2005, 04:53 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Very true.

Old
06-23-2005, 06:46 PM
skellart

Quote:
I agree. I think he could even be more intimadating. The more the better. Ultimatly, what you're doing is making the other team angry and/or nervous every time you jump on the ice.

Old
06-23-2005, 11:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I think you can learn defense as well on the fourth line as you can in Milwaukee.

Old
06-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Tough question. I think it will ultimately pend on his camp performance, who we bring in/release in the offseason, and how others perform. He isn't going to get a free pass this year, especially if we make a push to become a contendor. Personally, Smokie nailed my opinion. Heck, what is one more year of development for this kid? He has speed, he has a shot, lets get him to work on the d and ice awareness, and we may have ourselves an unending motor fixtured on our 3rd line for years to come.

06-24-2005, 01:05 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

If we were developing a top line player that needed top line minutes to develop I'd agree but he's not that type of player. The 3rd line get's the same type minutes the 4th line does, only less. In Milwaukee he played on the 3rd line didn't he?

Losing him mean we lose all those powerplay minutes and one of our most physical players.

Old
06-24-2005, 08:24 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I think you can learn defense as well on the fourth line as you can in Milwaukee.
He can learn defense on the fourth line. But at his age, being out there in game situations is going to be even more important. In Milwaukee, he could get 20 minutes a night next year. I think, if developing his defensive and overall awareness is the ultimate goal (not saying it is), then Milwaukee is a great choice.

But I agree. Losing all those powerplays is something I'm not sure we can afford to do. It might not be best in the long run for Tootoo, but who knows? He's an injury or two away from being our 3rd line winger right as it is.

Old
06-24-2005, 08:50 AM
handtrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause

But I agree. Losing all those powerplays is something I'm not sure we can afford to do. It might not be best in the long run for Tootoo, but who knows? He's an injury or two away from being our 3rd line winger right as it is.
With his style of play, he may be an injury or two away from obscurity. How long one can keep up that punishing style is anybody's guess.
But overall, I agree with most that his game would benfit from another year in Milwaukee, but the chance of that happening is almost zero, IMO.

Old
06-24-2005, 08:56 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
With his style of play, he may be an injury or two away from obscurity. How long one can keep up that punishing style is anybody's guess.
True, though he managed to go his entire rookie season without any major problems. Still, he's going to be a hunted man. Despite the NHL saying that none of his hits have been "suspension worthy", every fan and player of every opponent thinks he's a dirty player. I could see, especially with the elimination of the instigator, some goon like Reed Low just grabbing Tootoo as he was skating by and pummel him into submission.

Old
06-24-2005, 09:10 AM
handtrick

Quote:
True, though he managed to go his entire rookie season without any major problems. Still, he's going to be a hunted man. Despite the NHL saying that none of his hits have been "suspension worthy", every fan and player of every opponent thinks he's a dirty player. I could see, especially with the elimination of the instigator, some goon like Reed Low just grabbing Tootoo as he was skating by and pummel him into submission.

don't you remember, he had ligament surgery in the thumb/wrist at the end of 2004 after the playoffs and he missed some games in Milwaukee this year with a hip injury [and something else, I believe]. Depending on the specific ligament that was repaired / reconstructed in his wrist / thumb... it may never be 'as good as new.'
I am just glad no concussions...knock on wood...

Old
06-24-2005, 09:37 AM
quartermaster29

Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
NMK... some people from the "other" board did some research on it and Tootoo not only drew more penalties than any one person, but he drew nearly half the total penalties when they started the survey sometime around the middle of the season. It was close to 50% IIRC.

If I get some time today I'll research it and see if I can't find the results.

Old
06-24-2005, 10:10 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
don't you remember, he had ligament surgery in the thumb/wrist at the end of 2004 after the playoffs and he missed some games in Milwaukee this year with a hip injury [and something else, I believe]. Depending on the specific ligament that was repaired / reconstructed in his wrist / thumb... it may never be 'as good as new.'
I am just glad no concussions...knock on wood...
The ligament problem wasn't, in my opinion, major. Despite that injury affecting him in the latter half of the season, he showed few ill effects on ice. The most notable effect of the injury was the ejection for taping his hands while facing/embarrassing Verot and the Caps.

Old
06-24-2005, 10:53 AM
handtrick

Quote:
The ligament problem wasn't, in my opinion, major. Despite that injury affecting him in the latter half of the season, he showed few ill effects on ice. The most notable effect of the injury was the ejection for taping his hands while facing/embarrassing Verot and the Caps.
I don't know whether it was right or left, but it certainly affects the grip on the stick, each in a different way. Both would affect puck handling and stick work, his shot to a varying degree, and less so fighting, and nothing with his checks.
I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons we always saw him dump or shoot from the blueline instead of any attempt at stickhandling.

On the other hand, I may be full of it, and he just has hands of stone....

Old
06-24-2005, 10:57 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
I don't know whether it was right or left, but it certainly affects the grip on the stick, each in a different way. Both would affect puck handling and stick work, his shot to a varying degree, and less so fighting, and nothing with his checks.
I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons we always saw him dump or shoot from the blueline instead of any attempt at stickhandling.

On the other hand, I may be full of it, and he just has hands of stone....
Well, considering that stickhandling/shooting was never his forte at the beginning of the season, you may be full of it Or he may just have not been comfortable early on and the wrist injury kept him from developing that part of his game.

Old
06-24-2005, 11:17 AM
ktownhockey

Tie Domi

Old
06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktownhockey
Tie Domi
Bob Probert...what's your point

Old
06-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

One forgets that even though Tootoo is a punishing player for other teams on the ice, he also drew a lot of retribution to our team. Do not forget AJ going down from a cross-check in the head via Rob Blake, in retaliation for Tootoo nailing Joe Sakic 2-3 times in 1 shift. Tootoo has his postives and negatives. We would be unable to replace the penalties he draws, but if we continue to improve offensively, we may draw more anyways. I think our offseason moves ultimately will determine where he plays.

Final thought: It was Tootoo in the lineup that lead to our playoff wins, and Trotz seemed to gain a lot more confidence in him going down the stretch.

Closed Thread