Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > QMJHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Lhjaaaq

Old
08-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Phil18

vCash: 500
Lhjaaaq

I know there is not alot said on this league but i am the trainer for one of them and I want to know what you guys think about it!?

Is it a good or bad league as some player call it the ''ligue cimetière'' or league cemetery

Phil18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2013, 10:46 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

From what I know it's awful and very high scoring.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 04:30 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
terrible hockey, not even close to the caliber of Junior A elsewhere in the country

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 12:56 PM
PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by x6 Pacioretty 7x View Post
terrible hockey, not even close to the caliber of Junior A elsewhere in the country
So then....what is the equivalent of JR A in Quebec? Where do players play who want to keep their eligibility or bubble Major Junior players?

PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 01:10 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
So then....what is the equivalent of JR A in Quebec? Where do players play who want to keep their eligibility or bubble Major Junior players?
There isn't. They go the USHL or to the CCHL..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2013, 06:12 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
The QJAAAHL is technically Jr. A, it just isn't as strong as it should be.
I believe there were a grand total of zero NCAA commitments from the league this season and the league has never won a national title, so that shows you the overall quality.

Prospects usually continue to play in the QMAAA (one of the strongest, if not the strongest Midget/Major Midget league in the country) until they age out, then move on to any number of places if they can't crack the QMJHL: QJAAAHL, QCHL (Collégial AAA, which seems to be an emerging option), US prep schools, or a Jr. A league in another province.

It'd be nice to see Hockey Québec attempt to fix the league, especially now that some of their other changes are seemingly bearing fruit and increasing the depth of the player pool.
The one major issue that I see that wouldn't be easy to resolve would be how to retain NCAA bound players that need to take English classes to meet eligibility requirements.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I believe there were a grand total of zero NCAA commitments from the league this season and the league has never won a national title, so that shows you the overall quality.

Prospects usually continue to play in the QMAAA (one of the strongest, if not the strongest Midget/Major Midget league in the country) until they age out, then move on to any number of places if they can't crack the QMJHL: QJAAAHL, QCHL (Collégial AAA, which seems to be an emerging option), US prep schools, or a Jr. A league in another province.

It'd be nice to see Hockey Québec attempt to fix the league, especially now that some of their other changes are seemingly bearing fruit and increasing the depth of the player pool.
The one major issue that I see that wouldn't be easy to resolve would be how to retain NCAA bound players that need to take English classes to meet eligibility requirements.
amen!
nailed it right on the nose!!

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:47 AM
jolly roger

Almost every team in the Q has players who played for a AAA team. As for college, look at the Canadian college commitments. Most players speak French, so you won't see much US college recruiting there. But a number of players have gone on or back and forth from AAA to the Q teams. If the guy who started this post is a trainer, why would he start this ?

jolly roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 07:55 AM
6yekcoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

Most players do not age out at midget aaa. 17 year olds do not want to play midget aaa and the maaa don't want them either as they prefer to take chances with younger players.So those that can't go outside the province because of schooling will play jaaa - look at the rosters they were pretty much all maaa players or older major juniors who no longer made the cut .Collegial are usually those kids that played maa or juvenile .

6yekcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Sidekick

Agreed with a lot of the stuff written on this thread about the pitfalls of this league. But I am surprised geography has not come up yet - it's too Montreal-centric.

I for one can't understand, despite everything that has already been brought up, how a viable 12-16 team Tier 2 Jr.A league cannot thrive in this province. The most successful Jr.A leagues in Canada succeed by utilizing markets that don't have a higher calibre team also playing within. Quebec has cities that would fit this model... I guess the will and/or the money are missing to make it happen.

Sidekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
FrenchTickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6yekcoh View Post
Most players do not age out at midget aaa. 17 year olds do not want to play midget aaa and the maaa don't want them either as they prefer to take chances with younger players.So those that can't go outside the province because of schooling will play jaaa - look at the rosters they were pretty much all maaa players or older major juniors who no longer made the cut .Collegial are usually those kids that played maa or juvenile.
Depends on which teams cause I know the St. Lawrence Lions are made up of about 90% of kids who played Midget AAA previously. I'm not sure about other teams in the league though but again the Lions are always a strong team in the league and could probably compete against some Junior AAA teams.

FrenchTickler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:17 PM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchTickler View Post
Depends on which teams cause I know the St. Lawrence Lions are made up of about 90% of kids who played Midget AAA previously. I'm not sure about other teams in the league though but again the Lions are always a strong team in the league and could probably compete against some Junior AAA teams.
Nonsense. The Lions couldn't beat the sisters' team at St. Therese.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
It is really bad hockey. I saw it last year and they are much slower than Junior Major, the passes are sloppy etc.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:38 AM
brec7

I don't think it makes a huge difference, but isn't there also a rule that disallows most 17 year olds from playing in the league? I know in the MHL in the Maritimes guys can play at 16, but in Quebec they have to back to midget. I was under the impression this was also the case for 17s born after September but I could be wrong. The league does seem to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the other Jr. A leagues in Canada.

brec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:52 AM
Canadiens1958

Quebec Midget AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by brec7 View Post
I don't think it makes a huge difference, but isn't there also a rule that disallows most 17 year olds from playing in the league? I know in the MHL in the Maritimes guys can play at 16, but in Quebec they have to back to midget. I was under the impression this was also the case for 17s born after September but I could be wrong. The league does seem to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the other Jr. A leagues in Canada.
Quebec Midget AAA allows up to five 17 year olds per team roster although teams may play without any.

Also in certain regions of Canada with Jr. A there is no Midget AAA.

Both factors impact the strength of Jr. A in Quebec.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 09-05-2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Clarification.
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2013, 08:41 AM
jolly roger

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
From what I know it's awful and very high scoring.
I have been watching the scores in this league and think you're correct. Last night most teams played no defense and 6 goals was a normal score. One team scored 12. That is not the sign of anything more than shinney hockey.

Old
09-28-2013, 05:58 PM
6yekcoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolly roger View Post
I have been watching the scores in this league and think you're correct. Last night most teams played no defense and 6 goals was a normal score. One team scored 12. That is not the sign of anything more than shinney hockey.
Unlike the 11 to 10 defensive struggle cats vs huskies last night.
Did a little math.
Look at the q stats -close to 7 goals a game in the reg season on a average of 62 shots per game (added all the shots of all the goalies)The lhjaaq just over 9 goals on 70 shots a game per average. So you are talking about 4 shots a game per team average more in the lhjaaaq.

6yekcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 06:44 PM
jolly roger

That's a very interesting study. Looks like defense missing a lot. The good news is that Sherbrooke is ranked #2 in Canada currently.

Last edited by jolly roger: 09-30-2013 at 07:55 AM. Reason: score correction
Old
12-07-2013, 04:49 PM
burtA

I was doing some research on this league too. I found this video/page interesting... http://juniorhockeybook.com/lhjaaaq-...hockey-league/

burtA is offline   Reply With Quote