HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Visiting Philly, in Feb/March2014 and want to meet flyers fans!

Old
08-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Scudmakt

vCash: 500
Visiting Philly, in Feb/March2014 and want to meet flyers fans!

First of all Im not sure this is the correct section to post in so please redirect me if needed.

Me and my girlfriend is traveling across the world and I plan to end the trip with watching some NHL games. I am a big Flyers fan (since Peter Forsberg~) and Id really love to follow some some of the regulars to a game! The 1 March of the 2014 the Flyers are hosting the Rags and it seems like that game would fit my schedule the best. We have booked the flight home to Sweden from New York(7Mar) but we do not know when we will be in East of USA yet.

I dont know what you do before and after(more importantly =)) a game but I think it would be a really cool experience.

If someone even would like to give us a tour of Philly or anything else Id really appreciate it! As is all possible tips.

/ Patrik

Scudmakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Ilya Bryzastor

Definitely grab a cheese steak from either Geno's or Pat's before the game, they are right next to each other, I prefer Pat's , also food and drinks are expensive as hell at the games, There are a ton of small friendly bars around Philly that you can enjoy a nice time , 99% of them will show the Flyers games as well. There is a good cookie place called Insomnia cookies in Center city. Also if this is you're first time at a Flyers game , be aware that there most likely will be a loud mouth, heavy drinker near you're section that might ruin you're experience , but other than that the fans are great except towards fans of the other team of course. Good luck and hope you enjoy Philadelphia , but one last tip , don't go walking around the ghetto areas of Philly at night , Philly is a great city but some areas are just crime ridden. Hope you enjoy you're experience.

Ilya Bryzastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 01:23 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilya Bryzastor View Post
Definitely grab a cheese steak from either Geno's or Pat's before the game, they are right next to each other, I prefer Pat's , also food and drinks are expensive as hell at the games, There are a ton of small friendly bars around Philly that you can enjoy a nice time , 99% of them will show the Flyers games as well. There is a good cookie place called Insomnia cookies in Center city. Also if this is you're first time at a Flyers game , be aware that there most likely will be a loud mouth, heavy drinker near you're section that might ruin you're experience , but other than that the fans are great except towards fans of the other team of course. Good luck and hope you enjoy Philadelphia , but one last tip , don't go walking around the ghetto areas of Philly at night , Philly is a great city but some areas are just crime ridden. Hope you enjoy you're experience.
Not a true Philadelphian.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Ilya Bryzastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Not a true Philadelphian.
Hahaha , Idk man I just don't like anything from Geno's , I actually prefer Talk of the Town cheese steaks over both but I just mentioned the most popular places.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:08 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Quote:
Quote:
Hahaha , Idk man I just don't like anything from Geno's , I actually prefer Talk of the Town cheese steaks over both but I just mentioned the most popular places.
Popular, in terms of tourists who don't know any better.

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I was talking about the fact that you brought up both Pat's & Geno's in the first place. There's way better places than those two. I would prefer Tony Luke's over those two in that area for a cheesesteak.

Personally the best places to get some cheesesteaks is Chink's & Steve's up in the northeast but that's not close to the WFC.

Old
08-04-2013, 02:21 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I was talking about the fact that you brought up both Pat's & Geno's in the first place. There's way better places than those two. I would prefer Tony Luke's over those two in that area for a cheesesteak.

Personally the best places to get some cheesesteaks is Chink's & Steve's up in the northeast but that's not close to the WFC.
Word

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Jray42

vCash: 91
Chinks' cheesesteaks are awesome. Weren't they forced to change their name though?

Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jray42 View Post
Chinks' cheesesteaks are awesome. Weren't they forced to change their name though?
It's called Joe's now. The owner changed it because he said it was the right thing to do but he still sells Chink's shirts in there so I'm thinking it was more of a marketing ploy than anything.

I also say Chink's because I feel like if I said Joe's nobody would really know what I was talking about.

Old
08-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Wiqkid*

This quickly turned into a "best cheesesteak" thread. Must be a philly board.

Wiqkid* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Chinks changed their name because he's been trying to expand his business but he couldn't get any loans because the name sounds racist

And another good place to go to is Tony Lukes

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:54 PM
AaronTrieu

Cheese steaks are gross anyway. They sit in the pit of your stomach and make you feel heavy. I haven't had one in years. Friends from australia came and they asked about cheese steaks. I told them if we had time might go. After they had it, they were not impressed at all.

Patrik, Shoot me a message when the time is closer and you know the exact dates you are here. Philly is a hard place to enjoy if you don't know anyone.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:59 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
Cheese steaks are gross anyway. They sit in the pit of your stomach and make you feel heavy. I haven't had one in years. Friends from australia came and they asked about cheese steaks. I told them if we had time might go. After they had it, they were not impressed at all.
That's crazy talk but that's why I would suggest Tony Luke's because their pork & chicken cutlet sandwhiches are very good in fact I usually go with one of them over a cheesesteak from there when I go to Tony Luke's but there cheesesteaks are still pretty good.

Old
08-04-2013, 04:16 PM
AaronTrieu

I do prefer tony lukes Italian pork over almost cheese steak. You have to appreciate sharp provolone.

Anyway, best thing about Philly is the food and beer. If you want to venture out into the burbs a little bit, my parents helped start a great byob.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Scudmakt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post

Patrik, Shoot me a message when the time is closer and you know the exact dates you are here. Philly is a hard place to enjoy if you don't know anyone.
I sure will Aaron.
I have to say that I am really glad that the Flyers are more fun to watch than their city!
So you dont throw any Flyers "partys" before and after the game, or does everyone just end up at the pubs?

Scudmakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Ilya Bryzastor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scudmakt View Post
I sure will Aaron.
I have to say that I am really glad that the Flyers are more fun to watch than their city!
So you dont throw any Flyers "partys" before and after the game, or does everyone just end up at the pubs?
Theres a place right across the street of the Arena called Xfinity Live , everybody goes there before and after games.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16

vCash: 400
Since we're all mentioning best Cheesesteaks in Philly, I gotta throw Mama's name out there on Belmont Ave. Not just the best steak I've ever had, but the best food I've ever had.

Also, as someone else mentioned, try to check out Xfinity Live before and after the game if you want to party with Flyers fans.

And I'd suggest you go to the Philadelphia Art Museum while you're there. Be sure to run up the steps like Rocky to get the true experience

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:57 AM
AaronTrieu

It's easy to get conned at the touristy places. If you look desperate for water, a guy will charge you $3 for a water. Or you walk 10 ft another guy will sell you a water for $1. And no, you don't need to pay to take a pic with the rocky statue.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:59 AM
AaronTrieu

Besides the overpriced drinks, I like xfinity live. A view of a TV everywhere and they play the pregame stuff before the games.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:24 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Yeah, just go to Xfinity live, i think they even have a cheesesteak place inside of it might be Tony Lukes or Campo's can't remember.

Its just a ton of bars with a really great outdoor area with a lot of cool stuff to do and merch places inside. Victory Beer Garden and PBR bar are fun whenever i go that way. TV's everywhere, you can walk from there into the rink and your good to go.

They make a killing though cause the drinks are overpriced.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

Been a few years, but Abner's over in West Philly is worth a go. As far as Pat's and Geno's go, they're fine to do once, while drunk, for the experience. Heck, I'd sooner deal with the mayhem of South Street and get a decent steak at Jim's (though, that's still not the best the city has to offer as others have noted).

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Broad Street Elite

I will add this. If you want to be a gem of a bf, take your girl to McCormick and Schmick's at City Hall, then hop on the Orange Line down to the game.

Before people go buck wild though, I could recommend 25 other hole in the wall restaurants I like better than M&S, but because of the location and relative safety of that area, its a great date local.

Spend a Satuday or Sunday afternoon at Reading Terminal as well. Touristy, but great snacks.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:49 PM
AaronTrieu

Davio's is my joint for steaks

Old
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Been a few years, but Abner's over in West Philly is worth a go. As far as Pat's and Geno's go, they're fine to do once, while drunk, for the experience. Heck, I'd sooner deal with the mayhem of South Street and get a decent steak at Jim's (though, that's still not the best the city has to offer as others have noted).
I was going to mention Jim's but for that same reason I didn't. I said Tony Luke's because of the location from the stadium & the other sandwich's on the menu in case someone didn't want a cheesesteak.

I haven't been to Pat's or Geno's in the longest time but the last time I did I was indeed intoxicated.

I also enjoy Delasandro's in Roxborough but I live like 30 minutes away from there so I don't get them as much as I do Chink's & Steve's which are like 10-15 minutes away from house.

Old
08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
You can wander into any random cheesesteak shop or cart and get something equivalent or better.