HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC Fight Night: Shogun vs Sonnen

Old
08-07-2013, 01:05 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Yeah but it's been 3 fights since Chael hasn't made a mistake in a 5 round fight.
eh making a mistake against shogun at this point aint certainly like making a mistake to jones or silva at this point. shoguns certainly dangerous but hasnt looked great lately.

yada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 07:54 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGDDYKWL View Post
It's not a phenomenal card, but it's certainly better than the last two. Shogun and Sonnen, while the fight itself doesn't mean much, they're both very relevant. Shogun wins convincingly he could be in a title eliminator. Sonnen wins and he could easily get a title eliminator at 185.
They are not relevant, they are just Dana's pets. Both get re-embarrassed in any title contention fight. Neither can beat a top 10 LHW, Chael would be 6/7, at best, in middleweight right now if he didn't move up and got handed a decision in a hypothetical MW fight (instead of Jones bout)

jw2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Captain_Cunney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
Not even that, just the main card is blah to me.
Sonnen-Rua, as you mentioned.
Faber getting Alcantara?? Is he even ranked?
Overeem-Browne should be interesting, but co-main event?
Pyle-Brown. Good fight, even though it was going to be Corassani - Brown rofl
Who is John Howard?
Lauzon getting Johnson? I'm a huge Johnson fan, but the guy has been getting dominated on the undercard.

I hate when cards are designed to give guys wins. At least the prelims should be really good, but even some of those matchups are questionable.
Don't know where to begin here.
- the Reem is co main level.
- alcantara is quite good & has a lot of experienced. Not sure his rank but he is legit.
- doomsday Howard is on his 2nd/3rd ufc run, has been involved in quite a few good scraps. You should know who he is. He's a Boston area fighter and this is most likely why he was pegged as a fill in.
- Akira doesn't even fight in the same class as brown, it was alves I think. Mike brown and Matt brown are different fighters FYI.

Not to be an ass but maybe do some research before you go on a rant about the topic. There are plenty of cards to complain about, this free one doesn't qualify.

Last edited by Captain_Cunney: 08-07-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 10:41 AM
jw2

Wasn't Brown (MIKE) - Akira supposed to be on the main card? (I didn't research this) I wasn't confusing the fighters (and yes, it does look like that, sorry.) I thought the Alves- MATT Brown was originally scheduled to be on the 'under card' with MIKE Brown and Akira, one from neighboring state and one trains close to Mass being on the main card (I didn't research this either, bud). And no, I didn't research this before posting, just going off memory of past articles.

Browne (TRAVIS) is NOT co-main event level. (I didn't research this)

But I love how I get called out for my opinions and told to do research by a post that says "Not sure his rank ", " 2nd/3rd ufc run", and "it was alves I think".

Besides, from my post, you should have been able to figure out that I don't care about this card very much. (You should research this)

Old
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
m9

Alcantara's unranked, but the UFC is in a tough position with Faber as he has run over half of the top ten already. Alcantara is winning fights and is probably ranked in the 11-15th range.

Mike v Akira was slated for the undercard, Alves v Matt Brown on the main card.

Travis Browne main evented a free card v Bigfoot and is a top ten HW. Him in the co-main is fine with me.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovifan27 View Post
So Speed Channel is being axed and replaced with FS1. Speed Channel is in something like 90mil homes.

I don't have Fuel but I do have Speed so hopefully I get to see this.
Most providers are going down to the wire in negotiations for FS1. It is directly replacing Speed, but since its content is much broader, it requires new deals for carriage. Last I read, most major carriers (Time Warner and both dish companies) were still without deals for the new channel. FOX is asking for triple the price of speed and likely are trying to attach carriage of FS2 (replacing Fuel) to the deal for FS1.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
I have a feeling Overeem rolls through Browne. I like him a lot at -175. Can't believe Chael's -150. Five rounds actually helps Shogun IMO. Gives him more time to catch Sonnen, or more time for Sonnen to make a mistake. I'd give Chael a much better shot in a three rounder.
I feel the opposite way. I think Shogun will be dead after three rounds so he better finish Chael early. Chael should be able to easily take Shogun down in the last two rounds. No more "if Shogun is in shape and well conditioned" talk, he is what he is at this point in his career.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 01:22 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
They are not relevant, they are just Dana's pets. Both get re-embarrassed in any title contention fight. Neither can beat a top 10 LHW, Chael would be 6/7, at best, in middleweight right now if he didn't move up and got handed a decision in a hypothetical MW fight (instead of Jones bout)
Chael did take 5 of 7 rounds from Anderson, and he beat Bisping. He's very relevant at MW. I agree he's not terribly relevant at 205, but he's a big name that sells a fight and draws. And I don't know how Shogun's not relevant. His last 7 fights are Liddell, Machida (2), Jones, Forrest, Hendo, Vera, Gus. That is one hell of a list. He's got a lot of wear and tear for sure but a win over Chael could easily put him in a fight with Phil, and that winner might just be looking at a title shot. And if Chael wins this he could easily be put in a title eliminator at MW. That makes this fight relevant. It's not like Forrest-Bonnar (II) or Rich-Wand (III) or something like that.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 09:36 AM
Peter Griffin

Is Chael/Shogun even for sure a 5 round fight? I know Dana said once upon a time that all main events would be 5 rounds, but that hasn't been the case and in advertisements for the fight I haven't seen any mention of it being 5 rounds but the following FS1 fight, Condit/Kampmann clearly says it's a 5 round fight on the ads. Just curious.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
jw2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Is Chael/Shogun even for sure a 5 round fight? I know Dana said once upon a time that all main events would be 5 rounds, but that hasn't been the case and in advertisements for the fight I haven't seen any mention of it being 5 rounds but the following FS1 fight, Condit/Kampmann clearly says it's a 5 round fight on the ads. Just curious.
Should be 5.

I think all the main events have been 5 since the change, except the Henderson-Evans fight, which was moved to main event after Rua-Nog II fell apart due to injury.

I think 5 benefits Rua. As previously mentioned, it gives him 2 more rounds to land something and stop the fight. Chael only has 1 decisions loss (Disclaimer: off of memory, did not research, and I believe it was split, like 5 years ago). Chael could continue to wrestle humping and pushing the pace in the 4th and 5th, but it still gives Rua that chance for a KO.

Old
08-08-2013, 12:32 PM
m9

I am always of the mindset that extra rounds benefit the guy who can finish the fight.

However, how can people possibly think Shogun is the one who will finish the fight in those rounds? Sonnen has great cardio and isn't going to be gassing, especially at 205 lbs. Shofun's cardio is embarrassing for a UFC-calibre fighter.

I think Sonnen takes this.

Old
08-09-2013, 12:06 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Looks like Chael finally got his license to fight. Apparently there was some shady backroom grievance filed by the Culinary Union. I know Dana has spoken out against them in the past for their less then reputable handling of matters and political ****-blocking in getting MMA sanctioned in NY. They filed the greivance to prevent Sonnen from fighting “because Mr. Sonnen has been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude.” Also, the feminist nazi group National Organization for Women filed a complaint at the same time to block Chael from having a license in Massachusetts over Sonnen's alleged sexist, homophobic and derogatory language.

Stupid *****es.

VeddarRants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 06:28 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Looking forward to the Overeem/Browne fight. I still think Overeem can be a threat in the division and wouldn't mind seeing him fight Werdum to determine the #1 contender if he can get by Browne.

Old
08-09-2013, 08:02 PM
CBJ All The Way
HFBoards Sponsor

great to see another fight on National TV, much better lying on the coach than cramped up at Buffalo Wild Wings for 3 hours

08-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Looking forward to the Overeem/Browne fight. I still think Overeem can be a threat in the division and wouldn't mind seeing him fight Werdum to determine the #1 contender if he can get by Browne.
I'd like for him to get a title shot right away for my entertainment.

Cormier is #3 rankings but he hasn't defeated anyone impressive in the UFC yet, and he's fighting Nelson next. I'd like to see him fight Werdum for the contender fight after Cain vs Reem (assuming he wins).

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:05 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
I'd like for him to get a title shot right away for my entertainment.

Cormier is #3 rankings but he hasn't defeated anyone impressive in the UFC yet, and he's fighting Nelson next. I'd like to see him fight Werdum for the contender fight after Cain vs Reem (assuming he wins).
DC has already said he's moving down to 205 after the Nelson fight. 'Reem doesn't deserve a title shot if he beats Browne, next shot should go to Werdum.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
DC has already said he's moving down to 205 after the Nelson fight. 'Reem doesn't deserve a title shot if he beats Browne, next shot should go to Werdum.
I thought he was waiting to see the how the Cain-Cigano fight turns out.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
In his interview with Ariel last week he said he's moving to 205 after his next fight. He was asked what if Cain loses but he said that's not going to happen and he has already made the decision to move down.

Old
08-12-2013, 06:53 PM
northstarsforever

Sorry for the off topic but some may be having the same question. Will it automatically be replacing SPEED or could they shift it to a more expensive tier? I really hope not since I get SPEED but can't upgrade due to my apartment contract. Is there a list of how cable companies are handling FS1?

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:58 PM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
It's true that he has said he's moving to 205 after the Roy fight, but I'll believe it when I see it. He beats Roy, JDS beats Cain, and they offer him a title shot, he ain't going anywhere. Completely screws Cain though, which is why I've always felt he should've moved down to 205 as soon as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstarsforever View Post
Sorry for the off topic but some may be having the same question. Will it automatically be replacing SPEED or could they shift it to a more expensive tier? I really hope not since I get SPEED but can't upgrade due to my apartment contract. Is there a list of how cable companies are handling FS1?
They have done a TERRIBLE job of explaining the details of this move. I see ads all the time on Fox that "Fox Sports 1 is coming" but they never say where. My understanding is it is replacing SPEED, but they are asking cable providers to pay much more for the new channel, and I believe have yet to come to terms with a few major ones. I don't see what would stop these carriers from moving the channel to a different tier to offset the increased costs.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:47 PM
ck26
Alcoholab User

vCash: 133
Quote:
Chael did take 5 of 7 rounds from Anderson, and he beat Bisping. He's very relevant at MW. I agree he's not terribly relevant at 205, but he's a big name that sells a fight and draws. And I don't know how Shogun's not relevant. His last 7 fights are Liddell, Machida (2), Jones, Forrest, Hendo, Vera, Gus. That is one hell of a list. He's got a lot of wear and tear for sure but a win over Chael could easily put him in a fight with Phil, and that winner might just be looking at a title shot. And if Chael wins this he could easily be put in a title eliminator at MW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
eh making a mistake against shogun at this point aint certainly like making a mistake to jones or silva at this point. shoguns certainly dangerous but hasnt looked great lately.
Shogun hasn't looked that good in the UFC. He looked good against Machida, and those were always going to be pure standup fights. Shogun, Gustafsson, Coleman, Griffin ... he's had great competition but he's looked very, very old.
Quote:
Cigano is one scary dude, but he is going to get destroyed again. Cain was in trouble for about 2 seconds against Kongo and got caught by one punch by Cigano. He's chainsawed the rest of the heavyweight division. He hasn't lost a round and he hasn't moved backwards and he hasn't ever even kinda been threatened. Cain Velasquez is the best fighter the UFC has ever seen. The quote from Spider is "if Jose Aldo was 185, I'd retire" ... actions speak louder than words, and Cormier is leaving the division because he knows there's an easier road through Bones Jones than through Cain Velasquez.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:59 PM
m9

Shogun has looked bad in the UFC and they've fed him some easy matchups. How many guys he's fought are retired now? Chuck, Forrest x2, Coleman? His fights with Machida look like the anomalies at this point. I wonder if they would do a third fight if Shogun looks good here?

Old
08-13-2013, 01:22 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 488
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
Quote:

They have done a TERRIBLE job of explaining the details of this move. I see ads all the time on Fox that "Fox Sports 1 is coming" but they never say where. My understanding is it is replacing SPEED, but they are asking cable providers to pay much more for the new channel, and I believe have yet to come to terms with a few major ones. I don't see what would stop these carriers from moving the channel to a different tier to offset the increased costs.
im agreed, this whole fox sports 1 has flopped compared to how it could do. if fox is launching a new network it should be plastered all over the place. you shouldnt go online without seeing some pop ups for the channel. they should be advertising it all over the fox affiliates on prime time tv. i dont get why this fox sports 1 stuff im only seeing a week before launch.

once again i agree that the move is pis poor, i had heard the channel directly replaces speed now theres no deal in place at the moment. wtf :facepalm this definatly doesnt just replace speed. i guess the only possible good is that now fuel will be in hd :

yada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:38 PM
northstarsforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
im agreed, this whole fox sports 1 has flopped compared to how it could do. if fox is launching a new network it should be plastered all over the place. you shouldnt go online without seeing some pop ups for the channel. they should be advertising it all over the fox affiliates on prime time tv. i dont get why this fox sports 1 stuff im only seeing a week before launch.

once again i agree that the move is pis poor, i had heard the channel directly replaces speed now theres no deal in place at the moment. wtf :facepalm this definatly doesnt just replace speed. i guess the only possible good is that now fuel will be in hd :
Completely agree. It's gonna be hard enough to get people used to watching FS1 (assuming they get it). Well, if they don't get for awhile, it's gonna be even harder. I don't get the logic of holding out for higher rates and having people miss you launch.

For the record, this is what I found on their website:
In most markets, FOX Sports 1 will be located in the same channel position now occupied by SPEED. As we get closer to launch, updated FOX Sports 1 channel information will be available via the Channel Finder (Click here). If you click there, it sends you back to the main page of the website.

northstarsforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9 View Post
Shogun has looked bad in the UFC and they've fed him some easy matchups. How many guys he's fought are retired now? Chuck, Forrest x2, Coleman? His fights with Machida look like the anomalies at this point. I wonder if they would do a third fight if Shogun looks good here?
I wonder if the training with Freddie Roach will have an impact on his performance:

Freddie Roach says Shogun Rua 'went from an okay puncher to a great puncher in less than a week'

By Shaun Al-Shatti @shaunalshatti on Aug 12 2013, 4:01p
mmafighting.com

Article: http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/8/12...c-fox-sports-1

Quotes from Roach on training Shogun Rua:

Quote:
"It's funny, when we first started working together [Rua] wasn't punching really hard because he didn't have his balance and his feet under him, and I told him he punched like a girl. The last day he said, ‘Freddie, can I ask you a question? Do I punch like a boy now?' I said, ‘Yes, you do.' He's really fun guy to be around and a really hard worker. We had a really good time."

Roach and Rua worked together in Los Angeles for two weeks preparing for Chael Sonnen, during which time Roach says Rua grew leaps and bounds ahead of where he started.

"He didn't have his feet under him. He wasn't pivoting off the right foot at the right time," Roach explained. "The thing about striking is having weight on the right foot at the right time, and driving off that foot. He was more or less just using his upper body, which is okay. But if you get your whole body behind your shot, it's just much, much better."
GSP trained with Roach as well to refine his striking. I wonder what Roach said to him in terms of his punching ability when he first started training there and after.

Betamax* is offline   Reply With Quote