HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

5 worst teams/franchises since 30 teams

Old
08-04-2013, 02:44 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
5 worst teams/franchises since 30 teams

Which 5 teams have had the worst record since the league expanded to 30 teams?

Count Winnipeg/Atlanta Thrashers as one franchise.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:47 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Columbus BlueJackets among them for sure.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 02:51 PM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Columbus BlueJackets among them for sure.
That's my initial thought too. But it would be interesting to see what the others are.

Old
08-04-2013, 03:12 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Unfortunately I would say the Panthers.

While a very successful 90s. The 00s was atrocious for us. Next the Blue Jackets. Though only in existence since 2000. They have only managed one playoff series, losing. I would count the Atlanta Thrashers as a poor team. Though making the playoffs once, they lost 4-0 in a sweep. I would consider the Leafs the next worst. Finally making the playoffs after about seven years, only to lose in game 7. Lastly, the Coyotes. Though making the semi finals one year ago, previously hasn't won a playoff series since they were the Jets.

Possible other teams: Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, and Minnesota Wild.

1. Florida Panthers
2. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Atlanta Thrashers
4. Toronto Maple Leafs
5. Phoenix Coyotes

hockeydude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:31 PM
erzon

I made a spreadsheet with the point percentage of each of the 30 teams since the last expansion.
I couldn't figure out how to paste it though, so i attached it instead.

Edit: the 5 worst teams btw are Columbus, Florida, Winnipeg, NY Islanders and Edmonton (from worst to best).
Attached Files
File Type: xls PT%.xls‎ (50.0 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by erzon: 08-06-2013 at 03:19 AM.
erzon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
candyman82

Columbus
Winnipeg/Atlanta
Florida
New York Islanders
Toronto?

candyman82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:04 PM
JB52

Quote:
Originally Posted by erzon View Post
I made a spreadsheet with the point percentage of each of the 30 teams since the last expansion.
It's a pretty interesting spreadsheet, but unfortunately it doesn't take count of the playoff or the amount of money the team had to spend. You would need to add bonus points for each playoffs round a team made.

From position 17 to 22 you have the Canadiens, the Blackhawks the Maple Leafs, the Rangers and the Kings.

With two Stanley cup for the Blackhawks and one for the Kings, it would be absurd to consider those teams in the bottom five, but with all the money that the three other club had, it's dramatic to find them so low.

17 Montreal Canadiens 54,7
18 Chicago Blackhawks 54,6
19 Toronto Maple Leafs 54,5
20 New York Rangers 54,4
21 Calgary Flames 53,8
22 Los Angeles Kings 53,3

JB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:10 PM
canuckster19
Former CDC Mod

Quote:

Edit: the 5 worst teams btw are Columbus, Florida, Winnipeg, NY Islanders and Edmonton (from worst to best).
Nice work, interesting in that time frame only 3 of the top 10 have won a Stanley Cup.

Also interesting San Jose at number two and no finals appearances.

canuckster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Blue n Gold Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydude1 View Post

Possible other teams: Buffalo Sabres
It's pretty clear that the Sabres are getting absolutely no respect for a decade of consistent mediocrity. Can I humbly suggest you spend more time looking at the middle of the standings for years on end. Clearly, the Sabres have not stooped to bottoming out so that they could garner 2-3 years of number one picks. That speaks volumes about the quality and guidance of ownership and the abilities of the GM. Steady as she goes!

Blue n Gold Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 05:18 PM
erzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB52 View Post
It's a pretty interesting spreadsheet, but unfortunately it doesn't take count of the playoff or the amount of money the team had to spend. You would need to add bonus points for each playoffs round a team made.

From position 17 to 22 you have the Canadiens, the Blackhawks the Maple Leafs, the Rangers and the Kings.

With two Stanley cup for the Blackhawks and one for the Kings, it would be absurd to consider those teams in the bottom five, but with all the money that the three other club had, it's dramatic to find them so low.

17 Montreal Canadiens 54,7
18 Chicago Blackhawks 54,6
19 Toronto Maple Leafs 54,5
20 New York Rangers 54,4
21 Calgary Flames 53,8
22 Los Angeles Kings 53,3
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckster19 View Post
Nice work, interesting in that time frame only 3 of the top 10 have won a Stanley Cup.

Also interesting San Jose at number two and no finals appearances.
I added two columns to each season, i guess it's not perfect, but atleast i think you can see sorta how the teams has fared in the regular season AND playoffs now.
Attached Files
File Type: xls PT%.xls‎ (50.0 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by erzon: 08-06-2013 at 03:20 AM.
Old
08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue n Gold Forever View Post
It's pretty clear that the Sabres are getting absolutely no respect for a decade of consistent mediocrity. Can I humbly suggest you spend more time looking at the middle of the standings for years on end. Clearly, the Sabres have not stooped to bottoming out so that they could garner 2-3 years of number one picks. That speaks volumes about the quality and guidance of ownership and the abilities of the GM. Steady as she goes!
Clearly the Sabres weren't my first five choices. Sure they have been mediocre; however, they haven't really done much either. As far as I'm concerned they would be in this list if it was 10 worst instead of 5.

Old
08-04-2013, 05:49 PM
hockeydude1
More Cowbell!

Quote:

Nicely done! It can't get any more spot on than this. As good as Chicago has been lately, they are still only 18th on this list. That means despite winning 2 cups, they have overall been worse than half the league. Detroit was expected at number one but San Jose was a shocker at two. They have been very consistent.

Old
08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Elever
Hth

I would not say that it's Toronto because at least they were doing something in the playoffs before the previous lockout and they had another appearance just now.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:04 AM
mattihp

Quote:

Great work. WOW have the bluejackets been awful or what :O

Old
08-05-2013, 12:51 AM
Money Baer
COYS

Edmonton , Columbus , NYI , Florida , Winnipeg/Atlanta

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Clearly the Sabres weren't my first five choices. Sure they have been mediocre; however, they haven't really done much either. As far as I'm concerned they would be in this list if it was 10 worst instead of 5.
Buffalo reached back to back semi-finals in 2006 and 2007, and has made the playoffs 5 times out of 12 seasons in question. They've pretty much always been competitive even when they missed the playoffs. I don't think they deserve to be mentioned in here.

Columbus, Winnipeg/Atlanta, Florida are no brainers. The Islanders' failure to win a single playoff series probably gets them fourth worst. Fifth is up in the air, but I'm leaning towards the Oilers, despite them getting within one game of the Stanley Cup. One of the worst three-year stretches in NHL history pretty much wipes that out.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:02 AM
jkrx

Thrashers
Panthers
Oilers
Islanders
Blue Jackets

Then we have teams theat has an arguments to be on that list like Coyotes, Flames, Leafs and Wild.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Florida
Columbus
New York Islanders
Atlanta

For the 5th spot, I'd say Toronto, Edmonton or Phoenix. TO simply because they couldn't make playoffs, and Phoenix simply because of the issues with ownership/finances. Edmonton made the finals, but then fell off the face of the earth after that. Not to mention the issues with Pronger and Heatley.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:12 PM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skobel24 View Post
Florida
Columbus
New York Islanders
Atlanta

For the 5th spot, I'd say Toronto, Edmonton or Phoenix. TO simply because they couldn't make playoffs, and Phoenix simply because of the issues with ownership/finances. Edmonton made the finals, but then fell off the face of the earth after that. Not to mention the issues with Pronger and Heatley.
Can hardly blame the franchise of being bad because one player decides not to honor his contract with the team and a prima donna refuses to play for them.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:41 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Unfortunately I would say the Panthers.

While a very successful 90s. The 00s was atrocious for us. Next the Blue Jackets. Though only in existence since 2000. They have only managed one playoff series, losing. I would count the Atlanta Thrashers as a poor team. Though making the playoffs once, they lost 4-0 in a sweep. I would consider the Leafs the next worst. Finally making the playoffs after about seven years, only to lose in game 7. Lastly, the Coyotes. Though making the semi finals one year ago, previously hasn't won a playoff series since they were the Jets.

Possible other teams: Buffalo Sabres, New York Islanders, and Minnesota Wild.

1. Florida Panthers
2. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Atlanta Thrashers
4. Toronto Maple Leafs
5. Phoenix Coyotes
I don't know about Phoenix at 5 (not sure who to put there though...) but otherwise this is probably the top 4 easily. The amount of crap rebuilds and GM/coaching carousels that have gone in Floridaon since 2000 is mind-blowing. Not to mention the sheer amount of talent that has come through there (Luongo, Horton, Weiss, Bouwmeester, Booth, etc...) Then add in all the front office insanity with Dudley, and Keenan, then Keenan and Martin. Glad to see they finally may be turning things around and drafting well and holding on to talent, but man it was laughable for a few years.

Columbus was while worse was an expansion team and

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Terry Yake

1. Florida
2. Columbus
3. ATL/Winnipeg
4. Toronto
5. NYI

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 09:01 PM
overg

Quote:
I added two columns to each season, i guess it's not perfect, but atleast i think you can see sorta how the teams has fared in the regular season AND playoffs now.
It's not surprising to see the Wings on top, but what did catch me a little off guard is how far out in front of the pack they still are. The difference between them and second place is roughly the same as the difference between 2nd place and 11th.

overg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 03:23 AM
erzon

Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
It's not surprising to see the Wings on top, but what did catch me a little off guard is how far out in front of the pack they still are. The difference between them and second place is roughly the same as the difference between 2nd place and 11th.
Definitely, it really shows how consistently good they've been the past 13 years.

Btw, i've updated the spreadsheet again, now it shows cup wins, finals appearances and so on for each team!
Attached Files
File Type: xls PT%.xls‎ (50.0 KB, 2 views)