HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are your Top 10 Predictions for the Islanders this Season?...........

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 06:29 PM
monkey_00*

vCash: 500
What are your Top 10 Predictions for the Islanders this Season?...........

I like to visit this Forum from time-to-time just to check up on what the Isles' fans think and have to say about their favorite NHL team...............What are your Top 10 Predictions for the Islanders this Season?...........

Old
09-25-2003, 04:37 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

I'll give you five:

1) Dipietro will win 20+ games.
2) Godard will be considered among the NHL's top 5 enforcers by season's end.
3) The team will make the playoffs.
4) One of Papineau, Hunter, Weinhandl or Mapletoft will outscore Bates.
5) Ideal wingers for Yashin will not be found among the players currently in camp.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:11 AM
4CUPZ

vCash:
************4cupz Top Ten List***********

10- Jonsson Gets His Bell Rung Out 4-6 Weeks
9- Get To 2 Round Of Playoffs
8- Big Increase In Fighting Penalties-(new Attitude)
7- Yashin Scores 40+ Goals
6- Papineau Will Be High In Rookie Of Year Ballot
5- Parrish Scores 30+ Goals
4- 15 Shorthanded Goals
3- 3rd Place In Division
2- Aucions Ice Time Finally Drops B4 He Does
1- Powerplay Returns To The Island- 5 On 4 +30 5 On 3 +20
****bonus****
*** On 10/20 Darcy Tucker Will Get Rocked By Both Godard And Cairns. We Didnt Forget ***

Old
09-25-2003, 05:53 PM

10) Milbury will look and say something foolish even while trying to be low-key

9) Yashin will begin every sentence in 200 interviews saying "I
mean.." followed by "it's most important that the team does
well"

8) Godard will be in 24 fights. Godard will win 24 fights easily.

7) Weinhandl will come back, get hurt, come back get hurt, come back
and get hurt again

6) Czerkawski will score 17 goals. 12 of them will be when the game
is out of reach or already decided or an empty netter

5) Kenny Jonsson will miss 8 games due to "flu like symptoms" - brain
flu that is (the kind that comes from undisclosed head traumas)

4) Cairns will be in 11 fights. Cairns will win 10 of them with 1 draw.

3) Sather will whine about Garth Snow's skate blade size

2) Milbury & Wang will look foolish for not getting Yashin a legit sniper

1) The Islanders will rock the Coliseum on a few cold nights and 1
warm spring night and add new exciting memories and the good
games will make Isles fans forget about the bad ones.........until
they lose the last game in the playoffs.

LET'S GO ISLANDERS!!!!!! START THE SEASON ALREADY!!!!!!!

Old
09-26-2003, 10:28 AM
NYIsles1*

Ok..

1. Either the Islanders make significant progress under a new coach or Charles Wang fires Mike Milbury. Either way the players play hard for Stirling and it's a better atmosphere around the team. Peca comes out and sides with Stirling if Milbury comes in the room.

2. Yashin's production is about the same because the system the team will play usually produces less overall goals. Media and fans will be very critical and talk about his 90 mil even more, even if he is solid in the system with a better plus/minus.

3. Peca will have a dominating season and knock opposing players all over the ice. Blake will not last as a second line left wing and roll back to third line right wing with Scatchard. Kids will roll in and out and one will stick, forcing a trade.

4. The big four will have injuries but will play well, Martinek will become a top four defender and Cairns a seventh defender.

5. The powerplay improves while the shorthanded teams are solid.

6. DiPietro has good stretches and struggles. Snow's play will force the Isles to upgrade the goaltending because he is not as consistent over six months as it was for two and a half months. Kochan does a quick Marcel Cousineau cameo here.

7. Kvasha finally has career high number but not a first liners production.

8. Czerkawski does better but Weinhandl or Asham just are a better fit with Yashin.

9. Less giveaways, lower attendance unless team is showing signs it can win a cup.

10. Godard wins his fights, does little else.

11. Hamrlik and the Isles cannot agree on a deal, will be lot's of deadline rumors. If he goes Isles fans will not be happy with the return because it will not get Yashin a scorer.

Old
09-26-2003, 12:06 PM
islerob

Nyisles

one thing to note of the "system" the islanders wil lbe playing...if it is played correctly, it is a very effective tool for scoring...it is mostly thought of as a defensive system, which of course it is...but it is also a very productive offensive system if it is played correctly...and yashin is so gifted that it should produc better numbers for him...i hope!!

Old
09-26-2003, 05:30 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
I like to visit this Forum from time-to-time just to check up on what the Isles' fans think and have to say about their favorite NHL team...............What are your Top 10 Predictions for the Islanders this Season?...........

1.DiPietro finishes 1-2 games over .500.
2.Isles go down to the wire fighting for the 8th spot.
3.Yashin and Peca have strong bounce back seasons.
4.Hamrlik signs an extention.
5.Chow scores 19 goals and gets a lot of pp time.
6.Kvasha scores 14 goals despite getting a ton of 1st line icetime.
7.Weinhandl gets 50 pts after being recalled from the ahl.
8.Papineau starts the yr on LI,but is demoted for soft play.
9.The Weimer-Scatchard-Asham line is the nyi most consistent line.
10.Isles lose Timmander off the waiver wire,then after injuries on the defense,are left scrambling for a solid,affordable 3rd pairing defenseman.

Old
09-27-2003, 11:13 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by islerob
Nyisles

one thing to note of the "system" the islanders wil lbe playing...if it is played correctly, it is a very effective tool for scoring...it is mostly thought of as a defensive system, which of course it is...but it is also a very productive offensive system if it is played correctly...and yashin is so gifted that it should produc better numbers for him...i hope!!
Rob
I agree teams can score goals with this system, the Devils have led the league in scoring or have been among the top teams in scoring in past years.

Just the recent trend in Philadelphia was the latest team to have changed systems in the division and scored less goals. The Isles outscored the Devils last season also.

Hopefully Yashin's skills thrive in this system numbers-wise as it did in Ottawa but it could also produce less numbers and I'm kind of looking at Paul Kariya last season in Anaheim where his numbers dropped a little.

No matter what I do not see Yashin under 70 points if healthy. As badly positioned as he seemed on powerplays last season his powerplay point totals have been virtually the same for his last three seasons.

Old
09-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Here we go. I feel like Karnac...or Letterman, for that manner.
1. DiPietro will have a medicre season this year, meddling around the 500 mark.
2. Yash will be back strong this year with a good 30-35 goal contribution.
3. Peca will be healthier and better. I've seen him throw a few big hits in the preseason and I like what I see. Seems like "Captain Crunch" willbe back in full force.
4. Czerkawski will score a good 15-20 goals this season, serving as a nice compliment for Yash; whereas Kvasha will have a "good year", by his standards and tally around the 45 point mark.
5. Matty Timander will be left in the waiver draft and picked up by another team.
6. Due to a stellar training camp and preseason, Justin Papineau will make the team.
7. We will see a lot of Trent Hunter and Justin Mapletoft this year due to injuries and callups.
8. Eric godard will be a strong staple on the 4th line and become on of the most feared enforcers this year.
9. "The Stirling System" will shut down some of the better teams in the NHL, as we have already seen in the preseason with New Jersey
10. The Islanders will finally make it past the first round of the playoffs.

-TL

Closed Thread