HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All things considered, will Price improve this year?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2013, 10:22 PM
  #1
mark24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
All things considered, will Price improve this year?

Just wondering with a few changes in the team in front of Carey Price, and the change of goalie coaches, will we start to see Price take a big step forward in his game this year? What does everyone think? I think we still need more crease clearers for the guy.

mark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:25 PM
  #2
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark24 View Post
Just wondering with a few changes in the team in front of Carey Price, and the change of goalie coaches, will we start to see Price take a big step forward in his game this year? What does everyone think? I think we still need more crease clearers for the guy.
What do you mean by improve?
Stats-wise, he can HARDLY do worse than last season. He probably wouldn't have to be great to do so -- actually, just adequate, like in 2011-12, would do the job.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:28 PM
  #3
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,799
vCash: 500
I can't really predict the future of a player but I hope he's gonna take a big step forward. He's earning $6.5M, ffs. I've been defending him for the last few years but he still needs to show us he's really one of the best in the business. He's not elite, actually.

Price My Man Crush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:32 PM
  #4
mark24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
What do you mean by improve?
Stats-wise, he can HARDLY do worse than last season. He probably wouldn't have to be great to do so -- actually, just adequate, like in 2011-12, would do the job.
You make it sound like it's all on Price. Not the case at all. Yes he was flat out bad at times, but the team wasn't exactly strong and supportive of the guy in goal either. He was just average last year if you ask me, but if you ask me that's not good enough. What I'm talking about is if he's gonna improve his game to the next level of development this year and be the guy we all want him to be with the changes this team has made this offseason.

mark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:33 PM
  #5
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
he definitely needs to be better but the D corps around him needs some heavy revamping too.

i'm still confident in him though.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:36 PM
  #6
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,662
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark24 View Post
You make it sound like it's all on Price. Not the case at all. Yes he was flat out bad at times, but the team wasn't exactly strong and supportive of the guy in goal either. He was just average last year if you ask me, but if you ask me that's not good enough. What I'm talking about is if he's gonna improve his game to the next level of development this year and be the guy we all want him to be with the changes this team has made this offseason.
If your mind is already set, why do you even bother starting a thread in which you ask a question?

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:36 PM
  #7
vokiel
I hate blind shots
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,770
vCash: 500
Less games in less amount of time will certainly cause some changes yes. Aside from that I don't think the system or the roster changes will change much.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:39 PM
  #8
mark24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
If your mind is already set, why do you even bother starting a thread in which you ask a question?
If you can understand how the English language works, I'm asking what other people's opinions are. I obviously already have my own. lol

mark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:41 PM
  #9
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
The discussion on Price is irrelevant. All things considered, focus on giving him a playoff caliber defense before we start critiquing him. He ain't playing midget AAA. These are the best players in the world.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
  #10
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 25,413
vCash: 500
Price has been great for the better part of three seasons. His late season collapse is of concern but I'm not worried. What I am worried about though is the fact that we have a AAA quality D in front of him and some people have gotten on him. He needs to get off to a good start to quiet the critics. I really expected MB to have gotten him some help on the backend and I'm disappointed to see that this isn't likely to happen.

I see Price as an elite level goalie and we should be at least getting him a quality shut-down guy to help out. I'm not worried about us playing an offensive system with him back there but we need some guys who can kill penalties and get some rebounds.

Despite this, I think he'll have a good year. I also think he'll be in nets for Canada.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 10:45 PM
  #11
jayball75
Registered User
 
jayball75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
He had a good year up until the last ten games and the playoffs. Maybe he was injured I don't know but what i do know is watching them protect the lead for the third was very frustrating. A better effort clearing the net would help and his new goalie coach not trying to change his style will help. Not to mention keeping DD on the bench when he plays like crap will help

jayball75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:00 PM
  #12
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price has been great for the better part of three seasons. His late season collapse is of concern but I'm not worried. What I am worried about though is the fact that we have a AAA quality D in front of him and some people have gotten on him. He needs to get off to a good start to quiet the critics. I really expected MB to have gotten him some help on the backend and I'm disappointed to see that this isn't likely to happen.

I see Price as an elite level goalie and we should be at least getting him a quality shut-down guy to help out. I'm not worried about us playing an offensive system with him back there but we need some guys who can kill penalties and get some rebounds.

Despite this, I think he'll have a good year. I also think he'll be in nets for Canada.
CP31 Likes this post

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:02 PM
  #13
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,790
vCash: 500
I suspect he was never truly healthy this season. There were rumors that he got hurt during that scrimmage at the Bell Centre before the season started. If I remember correctly, they were worried that he had a lower body injury (groin I think). Now I'm sure based on the fact that Price (and the rest of the team) felt that they had something to prove with the season they had the year before, played through that injury during the whole season and aggravated it during the playoffs to the point he couldn't play anymore. One thing is sure though, Bergevin will have to surround him with a better (and bigger) defensive core because we lack physicality and somebody who can clear the crease but I'm not reporting anything ground breaking since it's been my #1 concern after the series against Ottawa.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:03 PM
  #14
mark24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Price has been great for the better part of three seasons. His late season collapse is of concern but I'm not worried. What I am worried about though is the fact that we have a AAA quality D in front of him and some people have gotten on him. He needs to get off to a good start to quiet the critics. I really expected MB to have gotten him some help on the backend and I'm disappointed to see that this isn't likely to happen.

I see Price as an elite level goalie and we should be at least getting him a quality shut-down guy to help out. I'm not worried about us playing an offensive system with him back there but we need some guys who can kill penalties and get some rebounds.

Despite this, I think he'll have a good year. I also think he'll be in nets for Canada.
Mark24 also likes this post, seems a lot of us are on the same Page on this one.

mark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:56 PM
  #15
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy
 
SouthernHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
he definitely needs to be better but the D corps around him needs some heavy revamping too.

i'm still confident in him though.

This post pretty much nails it.

Every goalie in the NHL would have had similar results with our D, especially after Emelin went down.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:01 AM
  #16
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This post pretty much nails it.

Every goalie in the NHL would have had similar results with our D, especially after Emelin went down.
he still allowed his fair share of saveable goals but WAY too many came from some absolutely atrocious D coverage.

I can't believe some thought he was the sole reason we lost to the Sens. Just kooky talk.

Hope that he was playing injured because that would make me all the more confident. He's got all the skills. He's only really been bad one year and even then he was hardly awful. You put a contender in front of him then he'll deliver. We haven't done that yet.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:07 AM
  #17
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
This post pretty much nails it.

Every goalie in the NHL would have had similar results with our D, especially after Emelin went down.
Yup, issue on the back end is just as bring upfront, maybe ppl see it because there mainly 6' 6'1, but if you compare it to other teams around the league it's one of the smallest.

Last year we had 1 dmen over 6'1 in the top 6, Emelin, and then Tinordi.

With Tinordi most likely a lock to make the team, if we can add another big dmen instead of Daiz, we would be much better off, specially when Emelin comes back.


As for Price, he has hd his up and downs but that's what happens when you put a guy in nets at such a young age, most top goalies in the league where just starting out to be number 1 goalies at Carey's age, 25, but with that said, this is the time for Price to take off, because he won't have that "he is still young excuse".

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:20 AM
  #18
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR
 
WhiskeySeven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 16,214
vCash: 500
Our system exposes our goalie to an unreasonable, and I say unsustainable, degree. Price has to do a really good job in order to put up any sort of "good" numbers. That said, so far in his career he's proven to be dependable and consistent over a long-term but not elite or game-breaking. On one hand he's done a very serviceable job but on the other hand he's paid, and treated, like a super-star when he's not, yet.

Will he improve? I haven't seen much change in his technique in years, he's always been "good" technically even when he's bad - he always makes good saves and has a very steady presence. Aside from a really awful stretch of 3-5 games this season, he was fine but fine won't cut it with our defense/system's gong show.

We're entering Fleury/Pittsburgh territory now with a run-and-gun game and fast-and-loose defense - Price's gotta step up.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:24 AM
  #19
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 50,953
vCash: 500
He was a world class goaltender for 2 and 3/4 seasons, then he got hurt and his performance dropped off as he tried to play through it. He'll be fine.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:37 AM
  #20
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Price is already excellent.. he has no control on deflections and screened shots.. will need better support in front of him thats it..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:57 AM
  #21
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen
 
HabsProspectsExpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
It all comes down to his mental state. How high is his confidence? How heavy is the pressure on his shoulders? How badly does he want to win? How badly does he want to be the best? If his mind his clear and we can see that passion in his eyes, he will be in what we call a "flow" state and he will perform at his highest level.


Last edited by HabsProspectsExpert: 08-05-2013 at 02:07 AM.
HabsProspectsExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:13 AM
  #22
HABS win CUPS*
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 3,906
vCash: 500
I thought his only real problem last year was playoffs he was great regular season.

HABS win CUPS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 02:39 AM
  #23
The Newfoundlander
#TradeKessel
 
The Newfoundlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,278
vCash: 150
Outsider weighing in, and a Leafs fan coming in peace.

Price is not the superstar goalie he was proclaimed or projected to be, People like to deflect criticism when one of the favourite players falters, as in many peoples case here, the defense. I'll admit, I'm not a expert when it comes to the Habs, But in my opinion, The defense was solid around Price from what I've seen of them, And imo, Price was a contributing factor as to why the Habs lost in 5 to the Sens in the playoffs.

With that being said, I expect Price to improve this year(Although he pretty much has to). I expect he'll be around his usual mark of about .910-920sv%

The Newfoundlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 03:17 AM
  #24
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by weak5holeguy View Post
Outsider weighing in, and a Leafs fan coming in peace.

Price is not the superstar goalie he was proclaimed or projected to be, People like to deflect criticism when one of the favourite players falters, as in many peoples case here, the defense. I'll admit, I'm not a expert when it comes to the Habs, But in my opinion, The defense was solid around Price from what I've seen of them, And imo, Price was a contributing factor as to why the Habs lost in 5 to the Sens in the playoffs.

With that being said, I expect Price to improve this year(Although he pretty much has to). I expect he'll be around his usual mark of about .910-920sv%
Just because Gainey made him a starter earlier on specially for a goalie, doesn't mean Price was suppose to be at that projected superstar goalie right away, even in a press conference after the 08 playoffs, Gainey said that the reason he made Price a starter early on, that when he would go into his prime he would have already gained a lot of experience. Just look at Bernier experience and what he he has done in the NHL so far in his career, Bernier was also highly touted goalie who had drafted just 1 year after Price, and even tho he has don't anything in the NHL, many still project him to be a solid number 1 goalie.

Price will be 26 years old, and this is now the time well see if by Gainey making him a starter, specially in Mtl was a good thing or bad.


Last edited by habs03: 08-05-2013 at 03:34 AM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 04:46 AM
  #25
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
I don't see how anyone thinks he was a reason we lost vs OTT. He was great in 2 games and average in the other 2.

CP31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.