HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Red Wings SWOT Analysis

Old
08-04-2013, 09:41 PM
RedWingsNow*

vCash: 500
Red Wings SWOT Analysis

A SWOT analysis is often an effective way to take stock of your organization.
Basically, you just look at your team's strengths, opportunities, weaknesses and threats.

I'll Start

Strengths
Centers - Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, Andersson, Abdelkader,Emmerton -- pretty good list.
Skill - Enough skill to role three puck possession lines.
Mobility - Young defense and youth at forward - team should be fairly quick.
Coaching - Babcock can be one of the best coaches in the game
Depth - Even before dipping into the farm system, the Wings have a deep roster of NHL level talent
Howie -- Many feel Howard is among the league's best goalies (I'm not convinced of this, myself)
Tradition -- Winning culture is something that gives the team something to believe in when times are tough
Strong Farm System -- Wings have the richest farm system in organizational history.

Weaknesses
Scoring Wingers - Franzen is inconsistent and we replaced Brunner with a 41-year-old guy who scored 4 fewer goals.
Size/Toughness - Not a lot of physically imposing forwards, or forwards with size and willingness to use it
Lack of heart-and-soul, defensive dman - We don't have that willing competitor on D and on the PK anymore.
Dumbass Babcock - Abdelkader on line one. Quincey+Smith. Lashoff on the first pairing. The idiocy is unreal at times.
Righthanded centers -- We have none.
Weak top pairing D - Kronwall might be a top pairing guy. But not when your #2 guy is a guy like Ericsson.
Depth - Like coaching is both a strength and weakness, so is depth. Depth means there's a good chance that Tatar starts in the press box or a role that makes it tough to succeed.

Opportunities
Youth - chance to interject youth, speed and desire
Datsyuk-Zetterberg - if they're still near the top of their game, you've got a good chance of being a good team.
Infusion of talent - Weiss, Alfredsson, Tatar and a full year of Nyquist should give us a chance to revitalize the PP, especiallyu.
Young defense - Should only improve
New Division - They don't know us. Easier travel. Fairly weak division.

Threats
Aging stars - Our best players are sliding and our youth aren't of the same caliber
New Division - We don't know them.
Age/Injury - Datsyuk, Alfredsson, Bertuzzi, Sammy are over 35. Helm and Eaves have been pretty injury prone.
Lashoff as 7D -- It's a pretty bad sign when Lashoff is your 7th D. You know he's going to get some time out there.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2013, 11:57 PM
silkyjohnson50

I think your analysis is pretty much spot on. Nothing significant enough for me to add or subtract anything. Dammit I just want the season to start now. I'm really excited about this team's potential. Helm (please be healthy), Tatar, and Nyquist should give this team a boost of energy. For some reason I think Smith is going to have a surprisingly good season (although I think DD will struggle a bit). And I just really want to see 13 and 40 play together consistently against a bunch of new teams.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:26 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
Yeah another strength and weakness one would be Datsyuk and Zetterberg back together. It was dynamite before the split and hasn't quite functioned that way when they have been put back together since. I think they will get more time to run with it and get their chemistry all the way back up, but we could find problems again. We have needed them apart to be at our best the last couple years. Will be interesting to see how it goes and a lot of that depends on Weiss, Alfie, and Franzen playing well together too.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:44 AM
silkyjohnson50

They did play together to carry us (along with Jimmy) into the playoffs at the end of the regular season. They were also together during round 1. And it was probably the most productive stretch they've had together since the original split with the addition of Hossa (still despise Babcock's decision there.)

If Weiss even does just a decent job at centering the 2nd line, it should allow Babs to really give them some time together like you said though. Could be fun to watch again.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:50 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
They did play together to carry us (along with Jimmy) into the playoffs at the end of the regular season. They were also together during round 1. And it was probably the most productive stretch they've had together since the original split with the addition of Hossa (still despise Babcock's decision there.)

If Weiss even does just a decent job at centering the 2nd line, it should allow Babs to really give them some time together like you said though. Could be fun to watch again.
That is certainly the hope and I would give it good odds. While making that push for the playoffs a part of what was allowing that was Franzen had a very good stretch as the second line center, so it helped keep them together. I think it will work great and likewise hated the break up the first time around, but it is worth mentioning how often we have seen it experimented with only to be split back up. It hasn't been quite the same as it was, hopefully it will be again and the second line can do their part so they can get really rolling again together.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:27 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Pretty straightforward analysis.

There are a few wildcards on D. Did they overachieve last season? It seemed like when Kronwall really focused on defending, the offense dipped. Scoring from the back end might become an issue for us. Smith and Kindl need to keep improving in that aspect.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:18 AM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

I don't get the Ericsson criticisms. He seems to be a pretty solid defensive guy, and I thought he was more useful than Kronwall for most of the year.

France Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:25 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I don't get the Ericsson criticisms. He seems to be a pretty solid defensive guy, and I thought he was more useful than Kronwall for most of the year.
I don't either. He's becoming a solid number 2.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:43 AM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Excellent analysis RWN.

I wouldn't put Howie as a strength, either. He's around top 10 to me, good or very good goalie but not great one.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 08:53 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

We haven't had that "heart and soul" defensive D-man for a couple of years now. Stuart checked out long before his playing days here were over.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:17 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
I think you're way out of touch on Jonny E.
He MIGHT be able to handle the 2 slot of the guy next to him is Lidstrom at 26 to 36.
But Kronwall isn't good enough to carry him.
In the playoffs, Kronwall basically had to forget the offensive zone existed to keep his pairing above water. And Ericsson made more mistakes than anyone not named Smith.
Though he's a decent passer, he provides next to nothing offensively.
His lack of shot blocking is pretty shocking considering he's the team's #1 PK guy.
In the playoffs, Kronwall blocked 30 shots, Ericsson blocked 13.
I'll give E credit for his 31 hits. But it always seems Ericsson isn't playing his own game when he's playing physical.

The idea of Jonny E as a legit #2 defenseman is off the charts ridiculous. He's simply not a guy of that caliber.

My opinion on Stuart is that, kind of like Cleary, he got worn down from injury and playing tough hockey (tougher than Cleary). When Stuart got here, he was fast.When he left here, he'd lost a lot of that speed. I wasn't happy to see Stuart go, but I'm not sure this team would have been well served by a 4-year deal or whatever. In the end, when Stuart left, we needed someone to replace him.
Quincey? Not even close. Ericsson? Doesn't play with Stuart's passion and sacrifice.

If you look at stuart's stats -- he blocked 89 shots this year and had 87 hits. Kronwall was 82-40 and E was 40-67.

Does E not know where the puck is? Does he not want to get hit? I understand that E is probably with the guy in front of the net while Kronwall challenges the shooter, but still.
Go back to the year before... Kronwall 177 BS, Stuart 115 BS, Ericsson 43 BS.

Last edited by Bear of Bad News: 08-05-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Flaming
Old
08-05-2013, 10:19 AM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Coaching - Babcock can be one of the best coaches in the game

Dumbass Babcock - Abdelkader on line one. Quincey+Smith. Lashoff on the first pairing. The idiocy is unreal at times.
This is the only piece I have any beef with. I don't think that you can say that he's a strength and then that he's a dumbass who's idiocy is outside the scope of understanding.

opivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
We haven't had that "heart and soul" defensive D-man for a couple of years now. Stuart checked out long before his playing days here were over.
The Wings also haven't won a Cup since losing their last heart-and-soul d-man. Not saying that's the only reason, but it's likely a contributing factor.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:24 AM
opivy
Sauce King

Send a message via AIM to opivy Send a message via MSN to opivy Send a message via Yahoo to opivy
Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Excellent analysis RWN.

I wouldn't put Howie as a strength, either. He's around top 10 to me, good or very good goalie but not great one.
Top 10 puts him in the top third of the league. I'd call that a strength.

Old
08-05-2013, 10:30 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
This is the only piece I have any beef with. I don't think that you can say that he's a strength and then that he's a dumbass who's idiocy is outside the scope of understanding.
I don't think you've done a SWOT analysis before. The paradox is unavoidable.

If you did a SWOT analysis of the state of Michigan, the automobile industry would be listed as a strength and weakness.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:05 AM
opivy
Sauce King

I have done a SWOT before, but the problem would be:
"Babcocks line selections" not "Dumbass Babcock who can't tie his shoes because of his idiocy."

He's not an idiot and we all know it, the lines are not something we want to see and his weakness imo is his liking to tinker with a top line and never finding a solid fit.

I just think the calling of him an idiot is not in the thought of a SWOT and more an emotional outcry.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh

I'm a huge Ericsson fan, but I'm also willing to admit he's not an ideal top pairing guy. He can handle big shutdown minutes, but your offense will suffer. There are players out there who can do both, like Suter, and that's exactly what the Wings needed last year.

What we need to overcome this issue is the 2nd and 3rd pairing guys chipping in more offense. That means Kindl, Smith, Quincey, and Dekeyser will need to contribute offensively with more regularity. It's possible they could, especially the first two listed. If those guys step up this year, the defense will be a very strong committee, and having Ericsson and Kronwall on the top pairing won't be so much of a liability.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 11:28 AM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
I'm a huge Ericsson fan, but I'm also willing to admit he's not an ideal top pairing guy. He can handle big shutdown minutes, but your offense will suffer. There are players out there who can do both, like Suter, and that's exactly what the Wings needed last year.

What we need to overcome this issue is the 2nd and 3rd pairing guys chipping in more offense. That means Kindl, Smith, Quincey, and Dekeyser will need to contribute offensively with more regularity. It's possible they could, especially the first two listed. If those guys step up this year, the defense will be a very strong committee, and having Ericsson and Kronwall on the top pairing won't be so much of a liability.
We do need our bottom guys to get better. I expect Smith's offense to get better. Kindl's five on five offense was actually fairly decent. Quincey's offense, predictably, completely dried up without significant PP time. Dekeyser is still a bit of a mystery.

But a top pairing is a top pairing. And ours just isn't up to snuff anymore.

I think the problem is that Kronwall is probably a #2 type guy. Ericsson is probably a #4 guy.
I think Smith and Kindl can be #3 types. I don't really see Dekeyser as ever being more than a #4.

Suter would have been ideal. Bouwmeester instead of Quincey would have been a major upgrade.
But for now it feels like we're sort of waiting for one of our kids to jump in and take over.

Old
08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
But for now it feels like we're sort of waiting for one of our kids to jump in and take over.
I believe Holland said he expects this to be Smith's year to get the green light to produce. Which lends some credibility to some posters, like Fugu, who suggested Babcock was keeping him on a short leash.

Old
08-05-2013, 12:16 PM
France Nielsen
sacre bleu

Ericsson isn't a #2. He's a #3. But I think the gap from using a #3 as a #2 is smaller than using a #2 as a #1 in Kronwall. Besides, let's not pretend that Kronwall has had any measure of success at keeping his pairings successful in their own end at any point in time.

If anything, one of the bigger problems the Wings had across the season and into the postseason was that Kronwall had to sacrifice his offense in order to play solid defense. That doesn't have much to do with Ericsson, IMO. It's weird how Kronwall's struggles have somehow been shifted onto Ericsson now.

France Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:21 PM
RedWingsNow*

Quote:
Ericsson isn't a #2. He's a #3. But I think the gap from using a #3 as a #2 is smaller than using a #2 as a #1 in Kronwall. Besides, let's not pretend that Kronwall has had any measure of success at keeping his pairings successful in their own end at any point in time.

If anything, one of the bigger problems the Wings had across the season and into the postseason was that Kronwall had to sacrifice his offense in order to play solid defense. That doesn't have much to do with Ericsson, IMO. It's weird how Kronwall's struggles have somehow been shifted onto Ericsson now.
Nobody's shifting Kronwall's struggles to Ericsson. Kronwall probably isn't a good #1 and Ericsson definitely isn't a good #2. You're talking about a guy who was a #5 for most of his career until recently. When the playoffs game, Ericsson seemed to revert to the mistake prone guy we saw back in 2010

Old
08-05-2013, 12:28 PM
Flowah

So most of our D is playing a slot above their paygrade. I think that's clear from the way our second pairing struggled last year and Kronwall/Ericsson. We've known we don't have a legit #1 guy or pairing for an entire year. We aren't going to find one though. Our only hope is that one of our prospects turns into that, or that all our younger defensemen take big steps forward this year and we can run a true defense by committee.

Flowah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Bench
Orange Safety Mesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
Our only hope is that one of our prospects turns into that, or that all our younger defensemen take big steps forward this year and we can run a true defense by committee.
Exactly. The Suter, Weber, Chara, Doughty, Karlsson types are a minority in the league. The Red Wings have finally joined that company of the majority.

And let me tell you, my non-Wings friends have been reminding me for at least 5 years that the team would be hurting without Lidstrom. He was a luxury of the highest grade.

Old
08-05-2013, 01:02 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Excellent analysis RWN.

I don't understand this, would you rather we not have him & roll with some like Pavelec or Mason? Howard is in the 2nd tier of goalies, almost everyone except Quick, Lundqvist & Rinne are, and on any given day he could find himself as high as #4 or as low as 12 or 13. If Howard can't be considered a strength then really only 3 teams can list goaltending as a strength.

He's been one of the more consistent goalies since he became our #1G and outside of his sophomore year he's statistically been a top 10 goalie, ahead of names like Price, Miller, Schneider & Rask. The years when we've needed him the most he has come up huge for us, the final stretch this year for us & in his rookie year when everyone was injured.

In our new division he's no lower then the 3rd best goalie, I can't see anyone making a good argument for Price over him right now, & it could be argued he's the top goalie in the division, he's started the most games of anyone besides Miller, and this year he showed everyone that it wasn't the "Lidstrom Effect" and he carried our team and our poor defence into the playoffs.

I'm not sure what else he has to do to get some respect from his own fanbase.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 01:19 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by opivy View Post
I have done a SWOT before, but the problem would be:
"Babcocks line selections" not "Dumbass Babcock who can't tie his shoes because of his idiocy."

He's not an idiot and we all know it, the lines are not something we want to see and his weakness imo is his liking to tinker with a top line and never finding a solid fit.

I just think the calling of him an idiot is not in the thought of a SWOT and more an emotional outcry.
It's not something they use a lot, but add to his curious line decisions that Babs is absolutely dreadful with his timeout. Curious if that challenge idea ever takes off if he is bottom barrel with it as well.

A lot of the hand-wringing on Babs is the greatness label, so when it takes weeks for him to come up with something or he continues to duck questions it's frustrating. The general point is there are holes in his coaching, you can see them on display. He has fewer than most coaches.

Holland and Babcock are both two of the best in the business, that doesn't mean they are beyond reproach. In fact I expect that Babcock is going to lose some of his luster when Canada fails at the Olympics, probably would have been better off reputation wise to have turned that down.