HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators Cup talk

Old
08-05-2013, 12:53 AM
predshabs

vCash: 500
Predators Cup talk

Looking at the past ten stanley cup winners.
2003-New Jersey Devils-Elias,Friesen,Langenbrunner
2004-Tampa Bay Lightning-St.Louis,Lecavalier,Modin,Richards
2005-No Cup winner due to Lockout
2006-Carolina Hurricanes-Staal,Williams,Brind'Amor,Cole
2007-Anaheim Ducks-Getzlaf,Perry,Kunitz,Selanne,McDonald
2008-Detroit Red Wings- Zetterberg,Datsyuk,Franzen
2009-Pittsburgh Penguins-Malkin,Crosby,Staal
2010-Chicago Blackhawks-Kane,Toews,Sharp,Hossa
2011-Boston Bruins-Lucic,Horton,Bergeron,Marchand
2012-Los Angeles Kings-Kopitar,Brown,Williams,Richards
2013-Chicago Blackhawks-Kane,Toews,Hossa,Sharp

There is only one team on this list out of a 11 year period that won the cup without having a really great top line.2003 Devils. They had a very similar Defense and Goaltending we do now.

I love our Defense and goaltending but we need more offense. Teams that win cups have at least one solid scoring line. We do not and I am tired of Preds fans not wanting to face the fact that we do not have a true #1Line as of right now. If we want a cup we will have to add offense. Defense wins championships is true but losing one to nothing or two to one will not cut it in the stanley cup playoffs. We need offense period. Enough said. So no matter what you think of our team. We will need to spend some money someday on at least one offensive weapon.
We do not have anyone on our offensive roster that compares to the teams above. We are close. I believe Wilson and Hornqvist could be two of those players but they need a third member. Who Knows Stalberg could play with them and magic happens but I believe we need a true #1 guy to go with them. Look at Kunitz in Pittsburgh with Crosby. Crosby makes him look like a million bucks. Thank about Wilson and Hornqvist if they had a similar type player. What would they look like.

Preds are great on D and Goal but we need just one or two more pieces and we are right there. Go get them Poile if not this year than next. Me and my friends always say this team is full of middle to bottom six players but I believe that we may have some options coming in Forsberg,Watson,Beck. Looking to the future we have no UFA's that need to be addressed for at least Five years(Talking about ones that will cost us bunches). Yes,Wilson is up in two more years but he is a RFA. So go spend some money if you can get players worth while to come here. If not work through trades. I know teams are built through the draft such as Chicago this year but they had some additions they did not draft.
Go get us one or two and we could be right there.

Go Preds.

Last edited by predshabs: 08-05-2013 at 09:38 AM.
predshabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Iron Duke

I don't think there's a single person on this board that denies us lacking a solid top line. The thing that almost all those teams share is that their top lines were primarily built through drafted players, then supplemented by outside acquisitions. It would be extremely difficult to attempt to buy ourselves a top line, in the course of an off-season or two, without losing the type of assets that may eventually grow into the types of players we are seeking (i.e. Forsberg, Wilson). We also lack the organizational assets to acquire more than one of these types of players, and even that may open a bigger hole than the one it would fill.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:37 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
I don't think there's a single person on this board that denies us lacking a solid top line. The thing that almost all those teams share is that their top lines were primarily built through drafted players, then supplemented by outside acquisitions. It would be extremely difficult to attempt to buy ourselves a top line, in the course of an off-season or two, without losing the type of assets that may eventually grow into the types of players we are seeking (i.e. Forsberg, Wilson). We also lack the organizational assets to acquire more than one of these types of players, and even that may open a bigger hole than the one it would fill.
Here is our draft history of players that are on the Admirals or Predators today.
1998-1st round pick 2 David Legwand
1999-
2000-5th round pick 131 Matt Hendricks
2001-
2002-
2003-2nd round pick 37 Kevin Klein, 2nd round pick 49 Shea Weber
2004-8th round pick 258 Pekka Rinne
2005-7th round pick 230 Patric Hornqvist
2006-
2007-2nd round pick 58 Nick Spaling
2008-1st round pick 7 Colin Wilson,2nd round pick 38 Roman Josi
2009-1st round pick 11 Ryan Ellis, 2nd 41 Zach Budish,2nd 42 COR, 3rd 70 Taylor Beck, 4th 98 Craig Smith,4th 102 Mattias Ekholm,5th 132 Gabriel Bourque
2010-1st 18 Austin Watson, 3rd 78 Taylor Aronson,5th 126 Patrick Cehlin,7th 198 Joonas Rask
2011-2nd 38 Magnus Hellberg, 2nd 52 Miikka Salomaki
2012-2nd 50 Colton Sissons, 3rd 89 Brendan Leipsic, 4th 118 Mikko Vainonen, 6th 179 Marek Mazanec
2013-1st 4 Seth Jones
I may have missed someone?

I wonder sometimes if we would have sucked a little more in our earlier years would we have at least one offensive player?
I like the idea of Forsberg and Watson making this team this year if so we will need to make them a spot somehow.

Last edited by predshabs: 08-06-2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old
08-06-2013, 01:38 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

We didn't have the resources to keep a guy like, say, Lecavalier in our early years, and we would have traded such a talent once he reached a certain point where it was no longer financially viable to retain his services. That changed dramatically once the salary cap came into play.

But you're right. People want to compare us to Boston and Los Angeles and talk about how those teams are built on balance and depth, but the problem is their three or four or even five best forwards are better than any forward on our team. They simply have more firepower to put to work. It'll take a combination of extremely good coaching, near-perfect defense, and a little dumb luck to make it past those teams with what we have at present. If Forsberg and Wilson both develop on what they've shown thus far, we're two-thirds of the way to having a quality top line that we can retain and manage for the next 10 years.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:53 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
We didn't have the resources to keep a guy like, say, Lecavalier in our early years, and we would have traded such a talent once he reached a certain point where it was no longer financially viable to retain his services. That changed dramatically once the salary cap came into play.

But you're right. People want to compare us to Boston and Los Angeles and talk about how those teams are built on balance and depth, but the problem is their three or four or even five best forwards are better than any forward on our team. They simply have more firepower to put to work. It'll take a combination of extremely good coaching, near-perfect defense, and a little dumb luck to make it past those teams with what we have at present. If Forsberg and Wilson both develop on what they've shown thus far, we're two-thirds of the way to having a quality top line that we can retain and manage for the next 10 years.
Prime example 2000 1st round pick Scott Hartnell. I really liked him then and really really like him now. But we could not afford to keep him.

Old
08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
SeventyOneTN

Quote:
Originally Posted by predshabs View Post
I wonder sometimes if we would have sucked a little more in our earlier years would we have at least one offensive player?
I like the idea of Forsberg and Watson making this team this year if so we will need to make them a spot somehow.
I think if we had sucked a little more than Hamilton would have had an offensive player

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 10:50 AM
codeyh
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
Anything the Predators had before Summer 2007 is a wash.

Team was practically an expansion club starting over at that point.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:01 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post

I looked at numbers and it's not that we don't have the top end talent it's we don't have enough support talent behind OUR top talent. If we truly could run three second lines, like I think Poile is trying to do, it could work but we've never had the depth to field a top 9 per se. The reason Boston and LA do well is their top end talent coupled with a good third line that chips in as well. While we don't have the top end talent, it could work if we have a top 9 that all produce. It's hard to shut down 3 lines on a nightly basis.

I'd love to add some top end talent and maybe Wilson and Forsberg in time will become two of those pieces. If they do and one or two of the other young kids develop, we should be fine. I really like what's coming through the pipeline offensively. Lots of diversity in our forwards which is good.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeyh View Post
Anything the Predators had before Summer 2007 is a wash.

Team was practically an expansion club starting over at that point.
An expansion team starting in 2007 wouldn't have had the same kinds of assets. Certainly not so many from the 2003 draft.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2013, 12:10 AM
predshabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
I looked at numbers and it's not that we don't have the top end talent it's we don't have enough support talent behind OUR top talent. If we truly could run three second lines, like I think Poile is trying to do, it could work but we've never had the depth to field a top 9 per se. The reason Boston and LA do well is their top end talent coupled with a good third line that chips in as well. While we don't have the top end talent, it could work if we have a top 9 that all produce. It's hard to shut down 3 lines on a nightly basis.

I'd love to add some top end talent and maybe Wilson and Forsberg in time will become two of those pieces. If they do and one or two of the other young kids develop, we should be fine. I really like what's coming through the pipeline offensively. Lots of diversity in our forwards which is good.
Very well thought out response. Thanks for that.

Old
08-07-2013, 12:24 PM
thecloser

We have Pontus Aberg from the draft two years ago too. He and Forsberg led that Swedish league I'm scoring and Aberg has been labeled a pure sniper. Our assets are good, we just are all impatient, as am I.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote