HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What does JT work on this summer?

Old
08-06-2013, 11:53 AM
doublechili

vCash: 600
What does JT work on this summer?

JT seems to pick one thing each summer to really focus on. In the past I think he's focused on overall strength/conditioning, skating, shooting. Since it's August and it's slow, anyone care to throw out some guesses/suggestions as to what JT may be working on (or should work on) this summer?

Faceoffs maybe?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:18 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
JT seems to pick one thing each summer to really focus on. In the past I think he's focused on overall strength/conditioning, skating, shooting. Since it's August and it's slow, anyone care to throw out some guesses/suggestions as to what JT may be working on (or should work on) this summer?

Faceoffs maybe?
JT has always been over 50% on his faceoffs every season except the last one and he was around 49.4%. He can definitely improve, but he's not a train wreck like a lot of the other young centers in the game.

I expect him to just continue to work on the overall package, he has no glaring weaknesses anymore.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:26 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

The only knock on his game right now is that he doesn't have use hard shots during games. Obviously that will have to wait until actual game time.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:28 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
The only knock on his game right now is that he doesn't have use hard shots during games. Obviously that will have to wait until actual game time.
I don't know what this means.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Vandalay Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
I'm also lining up in this queue. I have no idea what that meant.

Vandalay Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:37 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandalay Industries View Post
I'm also lining up in this queue. I have no idea what that meant.
Wow I worded that completely wrong.

What I meant to say was he doesn't use his shot enough during games. What I mean is hard shots like slap shots and wrist shots. He can practice power on them during the off-season but he can't practice using it during games until he actually, you know plays games.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Rehabguy

Quote:

What I meant to say was he doesn't use his shot enough during games. What I mean is hard shots like slap shots and wrist shots. He can practice power on them during the off-season but he can't practice using it during games until he actually, you know plays games.
Come again?

Rehabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 12:44 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

His wrist shot looked pretty damn deadly last year, more so than we've ever seen. Also, JT is one of the highest shot volume guys in the league so I think he gets plenty of reps.

I get your point about the 'hahd' shots like the slapshot and 1-timers though. We rarely see it because it's not his game. Still, his 1-timer ability has never been very good and improving that would expand his offensive arsenal even more.

Good point, poorly executed. I do that a lot too.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:48 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabguy View Post
Come again?
Read it again, I'm not explaining it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
His wrist shot looked pretty damn deadly last year, more so than we've ever seen. Also, JT is one of the highest shot volume guys in the league so I think he gets plenty of reps.

I get your point about the 'hahd' shots like the slapshot and 1-timers though. We rarely see it because it's not his game. Still, his 1-timer ability has never been very good and improving that would expand his offensive arsenal even more.

That's not true. He's got a very good slap shot.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2010020634

Watch his goal in this game. I would love to see him play RW more during the power play and take shots like that.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:51 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:

We rarely see it because he didn't have any playmakers on his line....

Old
08-06-2013, 12:52 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Read it again, I'm not explaining it.

Watch his goal in this game. I would love to see him play RW more during the power play and take shots like that.
He plays center and then shifts to the right side ALL THE TIME lol.

Old
08-06-2013, 12:56 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:

Have to disagree with you, his slapper is probably his weakest weapon because of lack of use and due to his style of play. While it was a nice goal in that clip, he doesn't do that consistently and has not been great at 1-timers. I remember the Toronto OT goal, but other than that... I don't recall too many Stamkos-style 1-timer rips so far in his career.

He should buy a washing machine and batter it all summer with his slapper. Strome can get it on the action too.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:00 PM
iLandHer

Faceoffs is the next thing he needs to practice and dominate.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:07 PM
SaintTavares

vCash: 578
Playoff beard

SaintTavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:11 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
He plays center and then shifts to the right side ALL THE TIME lol.
I am way off today. I miss hockey

I'm just going to stop posting in this thread

Old
08-06-2013, 01:12 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Speed training from grabs : )

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:14 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

needs to work on his goal celebrations. fist pumps are gettting booooriiiing

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:18 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
needs to work on his goal celebrations. fist pumps are gettting booooriiiing
Yea he needs to do something with the cowlick.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:20 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCycleDriveBy View Post
Faceoffs is the next thing he needs to practice and dominate.
Faceoffs is what came to mind for me too, and I like the way you put it "practice and dominate", because that's what I had in mind - JT making it a weapon in his arsenal.

The 2nd thing that I thought of was what PW mentioned, the slapshot. In Juniors and very early in his career JT was deadly around the net. Then especially last year he expanded his "danger zone" by making his wrist shot a weapon. If he makes his slapshot a weapon he'd further expand his danger zone and make defending players play him tight further away from the goal (like high on the right boards during the PP). That would give him more options and enable him to fake shot and then pass or go around a guy.

The more things defenders have to worry about, the harder it is to defend JT.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 01:59 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

clearly, he's at his best when this happens:
so maybe he can find a wickedass harstylist and find out how he can get the 'lick-look more consistently. He needs someone with skillz....like this woman found:

----
besides that, I think Tavares doesn't need to work on any specific skill besides continual improvement on skating and quickness/footspeed/footwork. If he did anything poorly last year it was forcing pucks through defenders, trying to do too much shift after shift. With harder working and better skating wingers maybe he can get some time and space and take advantage of his hockey brain to make more plays - last year, he really struggled to make plays a lot (wouldn't show that much in his statistics or Hart nomination, but fans who watch him closely would have noticed)

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:05 PM
13th Floor

Maturity.

JT is a very polished individual and certainly already very mature for his age. But once he is named official captain and continues to lead this team, I'd like to not see his emotions get the best of him.

I love that you can see the passion in him, but it will benefit the team if he doesn't have defeatist outbursts when others are looking up to him. I'm looking specifically at that face palm moment after I think the Carolina game last year -- and other incidents like this. Or when he pretty much looks like he is going to break his stick against the boards after every shift he doesn't score. Slamming the bench door in the playoffs, etc.

Love the fire, but a mature leader ON the ice as well as off (which he already has), will go a long way for this team.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:10 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Maturity.

JT is a very polished individual and certainly already very mature for his age. But once he is named official captain and continues to lead this team, I'd like to not see his emotions get the best of him.

I love that you can see the passion in him, but it will benefit the team if he doesn't have defeatist outbursts when others are looking up to him. I'm looking specifically at that face palm moment after I think the Carolina game last year -- and other incidents like this. Or when he pretty much looks like he is going to break his stick against the boards after every shift he doesn't score. Slamming the bench door in the playoffs, etc.

Love the fire, but a mature leader ON the ice as well as off (which he already has), will go a long way for this team.
I personally like the fire he displays because he is normally so well mannered in every other situation, but you make a strong point. The kid is still just 22 years old and will be 23 when his tenure as Captain starts. I'm sure he'll continue to mature on and off the ice.

Old
08-06-2013, 02:17 PM
NYI78

Quote:

we rarely see it because nobody he plays with has any creativity to get him the puck in stride...st Louis puts the puck on a tee for stamkos....

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Maturity.

Not sure how any of those examples show a lack of on-ice maturity. He wants success every single game and every time he's on the ice. The rest of the team should want the same.

There's nothing wrong with showing frustration. I would rather my captain show a little fire after something not going his way instead of just getting off the ice quietly. Its not like he's throwing tantrums in the locker room or anything like that.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2013, 02:27 PM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Not sure how any of those examples show a lack of on-ice maturity. He wants success every single game and every time he's on the ice. The rest of the team should want the same.

There's nothing wrong with showing frustration. I would rather my captain show a little fire after something not going his way instead of just getting off the ice quietly. Its not like he's throwing tantrums in the locker room or anything like that.
Agreed

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote