HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

How much money do the Rangers have under a cap?

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2005, 09:48 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
How much money do the Rangers have under a cap?

Who is under contract? I know Sather let a lot of contracts run up and dished others for middling prospects.

I saw an article saying they only have 5 players under contract. There is also the possible buyout scenario.

Just trying to get a handle on it.

Jagr
Holik
?

Last edited by tinyzombies: 06-24-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old
06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
Who is under contract? I know Sather let a lot of contracts run up and dished others for middling prospects.

I saw an article saying they only have 5 players under contract. There is also the possible buyout scenario.

Just trying to get a handle on it.

Jagr
Holik
?
How much is the cap?Six players under contract:Jaromir Jagr,Bobby Holik,Michael Nylander,Darius Kasparaitis,Dale Purinton and Jason Strudwick.Purinton and Strudwick are under two way deals

Old
06-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Count of DannyKristo

If you buy out Holik and Kasparaitis you are in great shape, by my estimation around $19 million for 19 players.

Old
06-25-2005, 12:55 AM
tinyzombies

That's pretty bad shape if you ask me.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:09 AM
NYR469

if only 1/2 of jagr's contract counts like rumored then the rangers are fine as far as the cap goes and will be in even better shape if they buyout some guys.

keep in mind that we are rebuilding so we really don't need/want tons of cap room where they can go out and sign a ton of free agents. we want to be able to go out and sign a couple guys to fill out the roster and then let the kids play.

the need for cap room won't be an issue for a few years, in a few years when the foundation is established and the team starts to move forward then you'll want the cap room to try to find missing peices but right now its such a mess that whether we can or can't afford to sign 1 more guy doesn't really matter.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:40 AM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
if only 1/2 of jagr's contract counts like rumored then the rangers are fine as far as the cap goes and will be in even better shape if they buyout some guys.

keep in mind that we are rebuilding so we really don't need/want tons of cap room where they can go out and sign a ton of free agents. we want to be able to go out and sign a couple guys to fill out the roster and then let the kids play.

the need for cap room won't be an issue for a few years, in a few years when the foundation is established and the team starts to move forward then you'll want the cap room to try to find missing peices but right now its such a mess that whether we can or can't afford to sign 1 more guy doesn't really matter.
You really think Sather is going to let the kids play? It's too bad about Blackburn, I really liked him. He was a stud in the making.

Old
06-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Post-Rollback Salaries
Holik: $6.726m
Kasparaitis: $3.116m
Nylander: $2.28m
Jagr: $4.117m (Caps also owe 4.117)
Purinton: $0.494m (2-way contract)
Strudwick: $0.475m (2-way contract)

Total: $17.208m

Old
06-25-2005, 02:37 PM
NYR469

Quote:
You really think Sather is going to let the kids play? It's too bad about Blackburn, I really liked him. He was a stud in the making.
thanks to the cap he doesn't have a choice. there is no way you could fit a team full of free agents under the cap even if you wanted.

Old
06-25-2005, 04:27 PM
tinyzombies

They could buyout Holik, then resign him for a cheap longterm contract, maybe $1 mil/year for 2-3 years. He'd be getting the same money and there'd be cap room. If he wanted to make it work that is. You'd have to get him to agree to it beforehand or course, or he'd bolt.

I'm sure they would regulate this type of behavior in the new CBA, tho there are rumors you will be allowed two buyouts.

Otherwise, what's to stop the rich teams from doing this with all the star players and stacking teams again?

Old
06-25-2005, 04:35 PM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Quote:
They could buyout Holik, then resign him for a cheap longterm contract, maybe $1 mil/year for 2-3 years. He'd be getting the same money and there'd be cap room. If he wanted to make it work that is. You'd have to get him to agree to it beforehand or course, or he'd bolt.

I'm sure they would regulate this type of behavior in the new CBA, tho there are rumors you will be allowed two buyouts.

Otherwise, what's to stop the rich teams from doing this with all the star players and stacking teams again?
Can't

Old
06-25-2005, 07:05 PM
NYR469

Quote:

rumor is that you won't be allowed to do that...if you buyout a player you can't resign that player.

Closed Thread