HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobby Ryan's Potential

Old
09-20-2013, 07:16 PM
MAK19

vCash: 500
I would undo the trade if I could.

Bye Silf

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:29 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

Bye Silf
While I wouldn't say Ryan has impressed that much in the pre-season, he's a better player than Silf. I personally think Spezza has played very poorly and it's dragged Ryan down a bit thus far. He's more suited to Turris or Zib.

Silf may very well peak as a first liner at some point in his career, but I (and I suspect, management) saw all I needed to see last season. Some players just "have it"...that competitive, balls to the wall spirit where they'll do anything to win and can sustain prolonged physical play. Silf, unfortunately, suffers from the "soft, perimeter Euro" syndrome. Compare him with Zibanejad. It's not a huge surprise as to why Zib won the favour of management...he's a physical beast and has a willingness to get dirty. Silf will never be that player and I don't ever expect him to be an impact player because of it.

Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:39 PM
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post

Bye Silf
Really? Ryan playing bad in pre season games looks alot better then Silfs best last season.

Noesen is a maybe 3rd liner.

Benny FTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:41 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

People are saying Ryan has played poorly?

Really?!

He hasn't been all-star, fine. But he hasn't been BAD

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:45 PM
MAK19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
While I wouldn't say Ryan has impressed that much in the pre-season, he's a better player than Silf. I personally think Spezza has played very poorly and it's dragged Ryan down a bit thus far. He's more suited to Turris or Zib.

Silf may very well peak as a first liner at some point in his career, but I (and I suspect, management) saw all I needed to see last season. Some players just "have it"...that competitive, balls to the wall spirit where they'll do anything to win and can sustain prolonged physical play. Silf, unfortunately, suffers from the "soft, perimeter Euro" syndrome. Compare him with Zibanejad. It's not a huge surprise as to why Zib won the favour of management...he's a physical beast and has a willingness to get dirty. Silf will never be that player and I don't ever expect him to be an impact player because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Really? Ryan playing bad in pre season games looks alot better then Silfs best last season.

Noesen is a maybe 3rd liner.
1-Silf has scoring potential, no doubt. He has 30-30 potential if everything goes right.

2-Silf is a very solid two-way player

3-I'm a huge fan of having a 1st round pick, it's not just Noesen.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 07:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
When they asked Hiller of his potential he said he can be anything he wants to be. People on this board never really gave Silfverberg the credit he deserved. Yes his play dropped towards end of season and into playoffs but he was still 2nd in team goals and one of the best defensively as a rookie.

All the best to Silfv but here's hoping Ryan can be the best he can be here in Ottawa.
That phrase was more apt when used in the same sentence with Karlsson. Silfverberg appeared to have limitations. You usually don't deal a star player unless you atleast get a player in the deal that could provide something equal (potentially).

There's a pretty clear difference in skill level between the two players. That doesn't account for everything, but when in doubt, go with skill.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote