HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-21-2013, 11:04 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Exactly. You think Dustan Brown is going to be out there cheap shotting guys if Smac beats the living daylights out of him once or twice? If he does it a few times, guys will know he's not scared to take the instigator, and he'd actually serve a purpose. He doesn't need to be the one starting ****. He just needs to be the one ending it
That is assuming Smac can catch Dustin Brown.

Which we all know he can't.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:52 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 500
Dustin Brown doesn't give two fiddlers ****s about Steve MacIntyre, and neither does any other heavy or cheap hitter in the game. They don't have to fight MacIntyre, they scarcely have to be on the same ice at the same time. It doesn't upset their shifts or game at all.

I'd love to see someone accumulate a list of the cheapest hits for any given year, so we could see how useless the enforcers were in those specific games.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

What's he going to do? Spend the whole game not paying attention to the play, trying to outskate SMac? Stay on the bench? I'd say either of those means SMac would be pretty effective. This of course all hinges on him developing a who gives a **** mentality

Old
08-21-2013, 11:54 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
What's he going to do? Spend the whole game not paying attention to the play, trying to outskate SMac? Stay on the bench? I'd say either of those means SMac would be pretty effective. This of course all hinges on him developing a who gives a **** mentality
First of all, if MacIntyre is on the ice against Dustin Brown - the puck is in our end and we're chasing the puck. Second of all, MacIntyre plays 4 minutes tops anyway.

Old
08-21-2013, 11:55 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
Dustin Brown doesn't give two fiddlers ****s about Steve MacIntyre, and neither does any other heavy or cheap hitter in the game. They don't have to fight MacIntyre, they scarcely have to be on the same ice at the same time. It doesn't upset their shifts or game at all.

I'd love to see someone accumulate a list of the cheapest hits for any given year, so we could see how useless the enforcers were in those specific games.
Because of the instigator rule. That's what I'm saying. The only way SMac would be of use if he says **** the instigator rule, and just start swinging

Old
08-21-2013, 11:55 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_oil View Post
Is Big Mac coming back???? Stauffer just said that the Penguins AHL team just signed another enforcer. He then thought out loud "why would they need 2 enforcers" Then something along the lines of hmmmmmmm.

Now, we all know Stauff knows and loves to hint.

My thoughts, Mac would have to go through Waivers to be sent down and he doesn't spend all year on the big club for Pit. Could Pit be preparing to lose him to waivers? Could the Oilers grab him off waivers? Maybe a trade in the works?
I hope we also know that Stauff likes to make **** up sometimes too when not much else is going on.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:01 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
First of all, if MacIntyre is on the ice against Dustin Brown - the puck is in our end and we're chasing the puck. Second of all, MacIntyre plays 4 minutes tops anyway.
Couldn't agree more. Enforcing in hockey is more like it is in baseball than people think. The way you exact revenge in baseball is get your pitcher to throw at the other teams star player. This in hockey is equivalent to one of your good players hitting the other teams good players. By the time it gets to the goons, it is pretty much fake and like a bench clearing brawl in baseball, it is meaningless at that point. Brown is a way better enforcer than Macintyre will ever be, if you actually understand what being an enforcer truly means.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:02 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
This is how you deal with it. Notice how Brown makes a questionable hit, so Doan goes and finds out what happened, and off the faceoff with Brown out there, Doan simply doesn't give him a choice. That's what SMac has to do. Otherwise, there's no point in having him

Old
08-22-2013, 12:09 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
This is how you deal with it. Notice how Brown makes a questionable hit, so Doan goes and finds out what happened, and off the faceoff with Brown out there, Doan simply doesn't give him a choice. That's what SMac has to do. Otherwise, there's no point in having him

That was a 100% clean hit. Brown was fine after the fight, that was more Doan doing his job of showing support for his teammate than actually getting any revenge or sending a message. The stupid part is you can't just start punching some one, it is illegal, at that point the smallest guy on the team could get revenge, just take your stick and wack the guy in the face.... Just having some way to hurt some one that is against the rules does nothing. You have to have a guy who can do something within the rules, as in a heavy hitter.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:45 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
That was a 100% clean hit. Brown was fine after the fight, that was more Doan doing his job of showing support for his teammate than actually getting any revenge or sending a message. The stupid part is you can't just start punching some one, it is illegal, at that point the smallest guy on the team could get revenge, just take your stick and wack the guy in the face.... Just having some way to hurt some one that is against the rules does nothing. You have to have a guy who can do something within the rules, as in a heavy hitter.
You should reread what I've been saying. I don't think you understand. I'm saying SMac is useless as is... The ONLY way SMac would be of ANY use is if he started just pummeling people and taking suspensions

Old
08-22-2013, 12:48 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Eager will get a shot at camp, but otherwise, I don't think there will be any scrappers.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:22 AM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

I wouldn't hate seeing Macintyre back.

Using a spot on Big Mac has its disadvantages, but at the same time having the nuclear option does (imo) deters guys form taking some cheap shots. I'm assuming Mac has a reputation as one of the toughest guys to ever skate on NHL ice. This isn't to say that Doughty won't still crush Hall, or even that Hartnell won't knee on knee MPS, but you can bet that someone on Philly would have to answer for a blatant cheap shot (Doughty's wasn't ftr).

I think having Mac on a team gives the team a little more confidence, knowing that they have someone who will back them up. I get that he's not a very good hockey player, but he's a hell of a fighter. Guys who make a dirty hit know that they, or one of their teammates will have to answer the bell, I think that's a deterrent, and is something we haven;t had since Mac left.

Just my two cents.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:33 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Steve MacIntyre back... are you guys serious? Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Old
08-22-2013, 02:55 AM
hellacious

I liked what Mike Brown did for us last year. He is not the best player on the ice but he has way more dance partners then smac ever did and is smarter at getting any revenge. I would like to see him be more of a disturber with top six players when possible.

I would like a heavy but he has to play good and smart. A bad heavy can cost us games and its not worth it if thats the case.

Our top six has to play a chippier game as a committee because other teams pushed them around the last 20 games and it likely was the main reason we missed the playoffs. Hall, Yak, Perron, Gagner have all shown that ability in games but must bring it every game and then be able to step it up when the games matter more this coming season.

Old
08-22-2013, 03:26 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

This is the Steve MacIntyre that this team needs.

As long as a coach is fine with him sending this kind of a message then he could be a valuable player for us in his role. Not an everyday player mind you, but just some artillery for when the occasion calls for it. Brown and Eager can handle the non heavyweights and Mac can handle the big boys and at times others like Staubitz who get out of line.

08-22-2013, 03:49 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Jones, Smyth, Gordon, Joensuu, R. Hamilton, Acton, Lander, Hemsky, Eager

All of the above mentioned are better bottom-6 NHL'ers than SMac. The guy is a brutal tank, but would lose a footrace to Smytty and whiff more than Belanger.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:18 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

As long as a coach is fine with him sending this kind of a message then he could be a valuable player for us in his role. Not an everyday player mind you, but just some artillery for when the occasion calls for it. Brown and Eager can handle the non heavyweights and Mac can handle the big boys and at times others like Staubitz who get out of line.
That Steve MacIntyre existed for maybe three games out of his entire 70 game career with the Oilers.

And TBH, Hordichuk baiting Staubitz into taking penalties was far more useful and impactful. This team has no room for Hordichuk, it certainly has no room for a MacIntyre.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Oiler66666

No no and still more NO!! Was a fan of MacIntyre at one point but he couldn't get the job done in his prime so why bring him back now? I'd rather overpay a fighter who can actually do something else, rather then get a one dimensional player on the cheap. Prust, Parros, Konopka. Too tired to look it up but at one time wanted them all. At this point I'd even bring back Brown first (wasn't our winning percentage higher when he played?). If nothing else Belov seems scary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Eager will get a shot at camp, but otherwise, I don't think there will be any scrappers.
Thx...forgot about Eager. Not happy he's in the mix but if he was healthy he could play THAT role and actually contribute.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:41 AM
hellacious

Quote:

That was at the end of a season in which he was ineffective. where nobody in the league would even go near him out of fear of losing there livelihood. He did that out of pure frustration. Its reason number one why he is not a good fit.

Old
08-22-2013, 04:50 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
And what exactly did that accomplish? Staubitz got up absolutely fine and the Oilers ended up having to kill a penalty. Do you really think it even made Staubitz think twice about going for a big hit the next time he was out on the ice?

Bringing back MacIntyre would be cringe-worthy. The absolute last thing we need on our fourth line is another player who basically can't contribute at all. All MacIntyre would be good for is the occasional pre-determined heavyweight fight that has absolutely zero impact on the actual game (outside of the fact that we'd basically be playing with 11 forwards) and is essentially just a sideshow.

08-22-2013, 08:13 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
the enforcer in hockey has died, the premium needs to be on finding players that can play regular 3rd line shifts and when counted on toss knuckles. if mike brown could play hockey his mind set is the right one. brandon prust is ideal, hits fights and doesnt waste a roster spot as he plays PK and regular ice shifts. its 2013 there is no point of having a guy on your bench to play 3 minutes just in case.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

The Oilers don't need an enforcer, they do nothing to deter cheapshots and hurt the team when they are out on the ice.

The concept of players policing themselves is dead, and has been for a decade.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:25 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post

Not hard to catch a guy after the whistle.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
And what exactly did that accomplish? Staubitz got up absolutely fine and the Oilers ended up having to kill a penalty. Do you really think it even made Staubitz think twice about going for a big hit the next time he was out on the ice?

Bringing back MacIntyre would be cringe-worthy. The absolute last thing we need on our fourth line is another player who basically can't contribute at all. All MacIntyre would be good for is the occasional pre-determined heavyweight fight that has absolutely zero impact on the actual game (outside of the fact that we'd basically be playing with 11 forwards) and is essentially just a sideshow.
I'm sure when Macintyre rag dolls a non-super heavy and they are piled up like Ivanas was then guys will actually think twice about hitting our players with their heads down or in vulnerable positions.

Now whether or not Mac is willing to do this is another question.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:30 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I'm not saying be a cheap shot artist. What I'd like is if Tootoo runs one of the kids that Mac goes over and pounds the **** out of him. Take the instigator. Eventually this will lead to a suspension, but it's something that needs to be done. Should've been done during the rebuild years, that we don't accept guys taking borderline hits at our kids. Eventually guys should think twice.
You do know that SMac was here in Hall and Eberle's rookie season, beat down a few guys and that did nothing to prevent the young guys from being targeted.
Lets face it. The age of the goon is pretty much dead. I'd rather give the roster spot to a player who can actually play a regular shift.

I don't mind a player like Brown who can step in and give a beating if one of the kids get targeted but at the same time can actually play a little. Even Brown is borderline useless outside of fighting and skating fast but he is still light years better than a useless enforcer like SMac.

We now have Ference who can step in and protect the skilled guys and the good thing is that Ference can actually be on the ice with the top players so he can step in right away as opposed to an enforcer who will be on the bench watching while the kids are being cheapshotted.
Also, there's no way that a Clutterbuck, Tootoo or Cooke type will fight an enforcer so what's the point?

Quote:
Exactly. You think Dustan Brown is going to be out there cheap shotting guys if Smac beats the living daylights out of him once or twice? If he does it a few times, guys will know he's not scared to take the instigator, and he'd actually serve a purpose. He doesn't need to be the one starting ****. He just needs to be the one ending it
Yep, do you think that Brown is concerned about a goon who won't even be on the ice when he's running around smashing the skilled guys into the boards?
Do you think that Brown would actually engage SMac in a fight? He's not stupid, he'll just hide behind the refs like all the agitators do when goons are chasing them.

Last edited by CupofOil: 08-22-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Closed Thread