HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Section337
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
All we get out of Mac attacking a regular hockey player is a 7 minute penalty when the guy turtles. If it's someone like Brown, he then gets up and laughs at the Oilers' bench and probably is part of at least one PP goal scored (when he laughs again). Sure Oilers' fans will get to call him a coward in that moment of passion, but a guy like Brown (and 98% of the rest of the league) should never go toe to toe against a heavyweight. He will only fight a real hockey player.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:40 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Hockey season REALLY needs to get back if people are here are seriously considering getting Smac back in town.

Old
08-22-2013, 08:53 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You do know that SMac was here in Hall and Eberle's rookie season, beat down a few guys and that did nothing to prevent the young guys from being targeted.
Lets face it. The age of the goon is pretty much dead. I'd rather give the roster spot to a player who can actually play a regular shift.

I don't mind a player like Brown who can step in and give a beating if one of the kids get targeted but at the same time can actually play a little. Even Brown is borderline useless outside of fighting and skating fast but he is still light years better than a useless enforcer like SMac.

We now have Ference who can step in and protect the skilled guys and the good thing is that Ference can actually be on the ice with the top players so he can step in right away as opposed to an enforcer who will be on the bench watching while the kids are being cheapshotted.
Also, there's no way that a Clutterbuck, Tootoo or Cooke type will fight an enforcer so what's the point?
Smac never went after non-fighters though that's the point that is trying to be made.

And it's not about other guys fighting Mac, he needs to grab them and give them no choice.

Like Colin Fraser

Or the goalie

Old
08-22-2013, 08:58 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Smac never went after non-fighters though that's the point that is trying to be made.

And it's not about other guys fighting Mac, he needs to grab them and give them no choice.

Like Colin Fraser

Or the goalie

I'm telling you, it's not going to make a lick of difference.
If he's not going after non-fighters then what's the point? Isn't the idea to lay a beating on the agitator?

Seriously, when was the last time Glencross, Clutterbuck, Tootoo, Cooke etc. got destroyed by a goon? He'll try to grab them and give them no choice then they'll choose to either turtle or hide behind the ref and proceed to agitate again while SMac is tossed due to the instigator.
What it boils down to is that Hall, Eberle, RNH etc. will have to police themselves. Hall is learning to do that now as evidenced by the Clutterbuck hit and the others will need to as well. Not every team is lucky enough to have a Lucic in the top 6 who can be on the ice with the skilled guys and intimidate the opposition.
It might be fun to watch SMac lay a couple of beatdowns to a fellow goon but it will do very little if anything to prevent the youngsters from getting targeted.

Last edited by CupofOil: 08-22-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old
08-22-2013, 09:06 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
I'm telling you, it's not going to make a lick of difference.
If he's not going after non-fighters then what's the point? Isn't the idea to lay a beating on the agitator?

Seriously, when was the last time Glencross, Clutterbuck, Tootoo, Cooke etc. got destroyed by a goon? He'll try to grab them and give them no choice then they'll choose to either turtle or hide behind the ref and proceed to agitate again while SMac is tossed due to the instigator.
What it boils down to is that Hall, Eberle, RNH etc. will have to police themselves. Hall is learning to do that now as evidenced by the Clutterbuck hit and the others will need to as well. Not every team is lucky enough to have a Lucic in the top 6 who can be on the ice with the skilled guys and intimidate the opposition.
It might be fun to watch SMac lay a couple of beatdowns to a fellow goon but it will do very little if anything to prevent the youngsters from getting targeted.
You obviously didn't watch the videos, if you do it right you can get your licks in before a guy has a chance to hide.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:14 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
You obviously didn't watch the videos, if you do it right you can get your licks in before a guy has a chance to hide.
Can't view the vids at work.
Once in a very blue moon does a goon ever get a hold of an agitator and deliver a message sending beatdown.
A guy like Brown can get that done because he can play a regular shift against those guys and go right after them.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

The real answer to guys not taking cheap shots at our guys anymore is our guys being able to stand up for themselves & each other.

Hall took a few strides toward that after his rookie season, what he did to Clutterbuck is a perfect example. This is also why we signed a guy like Ference.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:21 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The real answer to guys not taking cheap shots at our guys anymore is our guys being able to stand up for themselves & each other.

Hall took a few strides toward that after his rookie season, what he did to Clutterbuck is a perfect example. This is also why we signed a guy like Ference.
Yep, well said

Quote:
What it boils down to is that Hall, Eberle, RNH etc. will have to police themselves. Hall is learning to do that now as evidenced by the Clutterbuck hit and the others will need to as well.

Old
08-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Joe Hallenback

I don't think Cooke has ever been the same since Kane knocked him out

Old
08-22-2013, 10:30 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Why is MacIntyre even being mentioned? The guy can't even play 5 minutes of hockey. I'd much rather just rotate Ben Eager and Mike Brown. Ideally we would want a guy like Martin/Prust/Neil who don't hesitate to drop the gloves but can actually play an effective bottom 6 role without fighting. Eric Nystrom is this type of player, and we could've had him for free. Instead this idiot team opts not to dump Ales Hemsky and Ryan Smyth, so we can't afford a guy like him.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:57 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
You should reread what I've been saying. I don't think you understand. I'm saying SMac is useless as is... The ONLY way SMac would be of ANY use is if he started just pummeling people and taking suspensions
ahh, sure then I agree. sorry for not reading the whole thread, just do not want Smac back.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
joestevens29

Douglas Murray 1 year 1.5mil to MTL.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:07 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

No a bad deal for the Habs, adding some depth.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:45 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Douglas Murray 1 year 1.5mil to MTL.
Murray>> Grebs...

Still don't get the Grebs signing to be honest.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:47 AM
shogun99

Bertuzzi did it right. You don't see Moore agitating anyone anymore....

Old
08-22-2013, 11:49 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Murray>> Grebs...

Still don't get the Grebs signing to be honest.
MacT wants guys that are mobile and can move the puck. That's why Grebs is here and Murray isn't.

Hate it, love it, it doesn't matter. MacT has a vision for his defense and until it fails he is going to stick with his vision.

Old
08-22-2013, 11:58 AM
joestevens29

Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 1m
Belarus TV-channel ONT reports Mikhail Grabovski will sign contract with #Caps today

Old
08-22-2013, 11:59 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
MacT wants guys that are mobile and can move the puck. That's why Grebs is here and Murray isn't.

Hate it, love it, it doesn't matter. MacT has a vision for his defense and until it fails he is going to stick with his vision.
Ya, wait and see. I like Mac T's vision. Just don't get grebs, he must see something in grebs the rest of the NHL doesn't though.

Also, even if I get grebs I dont' get him for 1.5 mill. wouldn't a mill be enough?

Old
08-22-2013, 12:02 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Ya, wait and see. I like Mac T's vision. Just don't get grebs, he must see something in grebs the rest of the NHL doesn't though.

Also, even if I get grebs I dont' get him for 1.5 mill. wouldn't a mill be enough?
Same with Murray, why would anyone pay him 1.5mil this late in the summer?

Old
08-22-2013, 12:10 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Maybe Bergevin has been reading all the threads on HF about how small the Habs are ?

Old
08-22-2013, 12:15 PM
belair

Quote:
Igor Eronko ‏@IgorEronko 1m
Belarus TV-channel ONT reports Mikhail Grabovski will sign contract with #Caps today

Good signing for them, if true.

I wonder what that means for Marcus Johansson. Perhaps MacT should be poking his head in there and seeing what's up.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
Good signing for them, if true.

I wonder what that means for Marcus Johansson. Perhaps MacT should be poking his head in there and seeing what's up.
Johansson was converted to winger after Riberio came in. I suspect it will me the same again this year.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:19 PM
belair

Quote:

I'd assume he needed a reason to come back overseas. He's still eligible to play in Russia, so I'd assume we were playing ball with some of the offers from other KHL teams. Belov's likely in the same boat.

THAT and it's likely that the extra salary would shoe away potential waiver claims in the event of one of those players not making the big team out of camp.

Old
08-22-2013, 12:20 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Hmm looks like the GM's are returning from their summer breaks. Maybe we'll see some more signings and trades in the next two weeks.

Old
08-22-2013, 01:03 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

good move by the Caps

Closed Thread