HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2013, 04:10 AM
Bergeron47

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Agreed.

To Anaheim
Ryan Smyth

To Edmonton
Ryan Getzlaf

Old
08-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
Yakupov and Eberle are RW. Hemsky is a RW and Perron is a LW. I think it's safe to say Hemsky will be the 3rd liner in a healthy lineup.
I love Yak. But he has half a season in the NHL so far. Lets allow his play to dictate where he plays. He was pretty raw defensively.
If he plays well and responsibly, he should be on whatever line works the best. 1st or 2nd.

But realistically, kids have sophomore slumps. And need sheltering 5v5, which might still be the case with Yak. If he has to start out on the third line 5v5, and get cherry PP time, I have no problem with that. Patience, people. If we've learned anything from this rebuild its that rushing kids into roles they're not ready for does not win you games. Yak hasn't gone through the rigors of a full NHL season yet, with 82 games and the east/west travel.

"It'll stunt his development!"
- Handing him ice-time without earning it is not proper development. I don't want him or anyone else on the team to think they're entitled to ice-time because of pedigree.

"He's WAY better than Hemsky!"
- He will be. And he is an electrifying player, but a healthy veteran Hemsky is still a better player 5v5 TODAY. If this team is about winning, you ice the lineup that gives you the best chance at that. Hemsky is on the last year of his deal and needs to impress. He's got some real motivation this year. One way or the other, this is his last year as an Oiler.

"So you'd rather hide Yak on the third line so you can showcase Hemsky for a trade?"
- I fully expect that by the end of the season, at least by the deadline, Yak will be in the 2RW spot. Like I said, if he shows that he can play top 6 responsibly, then that's where he should be. But he is going to have to learn to play with that target on his back. This is not about showcasing Hemsky. Its allowing Yak to find the range without being burdened by playing against the top pairings/shutdown lines.

Just my opinion

Old
08-29-2013, 10:32 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilio View Post
I love Yak. But he has half a season in the NHL so far. Lets allow his play to dictate where he plays. He was pretty raw defensively.
If he plays well and responsibly, he should be on whatever line works the best. 1st or 2nd.

But realistically, kids have sophomore slumps. And need sheltering 5v5, which might still be the case with Yak. If he has to start out on the third line 5v5, and get cherry PP time, I have no problem with that. Patience, people. If we've learned anything from this rebuild its that rushing kids into roles they're not ready for does not win you games. Yak hasn't gone through the rigors of a full NHL season yet, with 82 games and the east/west travel.

"It'll stunt his development!"
- Handing him ice-time without earning it is not proper development. I don't want him or anyone else on the team to think they're entitled to ice-time because of pedigree.

"He's WAY better than Hemsky!"
- He will be. And he is an electrifying player, but a healthy veteran Hemsky is still a better player 5v5 TODAY. If this team is about winning, you ice the lineup that gives you the best chance at that. Hemsky is on the last year of his deal and needs to impress. He's got some real motivation this year. One way or the other, this is his last year as an Oiler.

"So you'd rather hide Yak on the third line so you can showcase Hemsky for a trade?"
- I fully expect that by the end of the season, at least by the deadline, Yak will be in the 2RW spot. Like I said, if he shows that he can play top 6 responsibly, then that's where he should be. But he is going to have to learn to play with that target on his back. This is not about showcasing Hemsky. Its allowing Yak to find the range without being burdened by playing against the top pairings/shutdown lines.

Just my opinion
I think if we really do want to shelter Yakupov, he should be on the 2nd line. Our third line will get the bulk of defensive assignments and tougher zone starts. Let Yak play on the 2nd line, and thrive an offensive role.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:45 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeestaDeteta View Post
I think if we really do want to shelter Yakupov, he should be on the 2nd line. Our third line will get the bulk of defensive assignments and tougher zone starts. Let Yak play on the 2nd line, and thrive an offensive role.
Yak doesn't need to be sheltered, he played his best hockey last year when he wasn't sheltered.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Anybody who was watching last season (specifically the second half) knows that Yak is dynamite. He busts his ass and is dangerous every time he jumps over the boards. If he's not getting top6 ice time something is seriously wrong there.

If Nuge isn't ready to start the season (and it looks like he won't be) I want to see a line of Perron-Hall-Yak. Puck possession monsters.

Old
08-29-2013, 12:09 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Anybody who was watching last season (specifically the second half) knows that Yak is dynamite. He busts his ass and is dangerous every time he jumps over the boards. If he's not getting top6 ice time something is seriously wrong there.

If Nuge isn't ready to start the season (and it looks like he won't be) I want to see a line of Perron-Hall-Yak. Puck possession monsters.
That would a fun line to watch play.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:06 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post

Has there actually been anything "official" or even reputable hearsay/rumours from guys in the know like Stauffer etc about how RNH is coming along with his recovery?

I assumed everything was on schedule but then I also assumed that "on schedule" would mean he would still likely miss some of the October games as well.

Anyone have any confirmation about how he's actually doing?

Old
08-29-2013, 02:09 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Has there actually been anything "official" or even reputable hearsay/rumours from guys in the know like Stauffer etc about how RNH is coming along with his recovery?

I assumed everything was on schedule but then I also assumed that "on schedule" would mean he would still likely miss some of the October games as well.

No.

Anyone saying that he might not be ready is going off of their own assumptions right now.

Old
08-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
No.

Anyone saying that he might not be ready is going off of their own assumptions right now.
Correct. I'm assuming that Taylor Hall being told he might be playing C for a little while is because Nuge may not be ready for the start of the season.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:50 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
No.

I think everyone is subconsciously going off a superstition that if they mention RNH in opening-day lineups, it'll be like saying shutout and we'll soon heard he's had an injury setback.

...That said, he DID mention that he hadn't started skating yet not TOO long ago. As his injury isn't skating-related I'm not too worried by that, but you'd think he'd take some shots on the ice if he was physically able to yet.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:58 PM
molsonoilers

He was skating by himself two weeks ago. Though hall was doing that in July after his surgery and he wasn't even close to 'right' until November.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsonoilers View Post
He was skating by himself two weeks ago. Though hall was doing that in July after his surgery and he wasn't even close to 'right' until November.
There were reports that Hall was ready long before November and was only delaying because of the lockout. He might have also been ready to go if the season started the first week of Oct.

Why rush just to get some AHL games in when you can heal up some more while getting NHL pay. Made sense physically and financially.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:29 PM
Toydarian

Regardless of when RNH plays, I think it'll probably take him 3-4 weeks before he's back to top form.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:33 PM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
There were reports that Hall was ready long before November and was only delaying because of the lockout. He might have also been ready to go if the season started the first week of Oct.

Why rush just to get some AHL games in when you can heal up some more while getting NHL pay. Made sense physically and financially.

The point is, Hall had some more healing to do. IT worked out for the best. Should he have played if the NHL was on in October? NO. Would he have? Maybe. Will RNH come back earlier than he could? Yes. Will that be a mistake? Yes.

We're talking about a guy who is the absolute lynchpin of our re-build. Without him we are in deep ****. Wait til he is 100% and then give it another month just in case. This is not to be ****ed with.

the EDMONTON OILERS have spent the last decade rushing guys back which led to ongoing nagging injuries and ultimately shortened careers/tenures here as Oilers. Virtually every veteran we had from the 06 run ran into issues like this.

We NEED RNH. And unless he heals 3+ months faster than Hall, he should not be at training camp.

Old
08-29-2013, 06:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Regardless of when RNH plays, I think it'll probably take him 3-4 weeks before he's back to top form.
Yeah, maybe even longer. Hall for example had only 28 shots in his first 12 games before exploding for 55 in his next 14 games in the AHL last year. He scored 9 of his 14 goals in the second stretch as well.

08-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post

August 3rd Mactavish interview
http://m.nbcsports.com/content/oiler...e-ready-opener
Quote:
"All things are very optimistic now … but the timeline before was that he’d be ready Nov. 1, in a very pessimistic timeline, and optimistically he’d be ready to start the year,” MacTavish told the Edmonton Journal. “We’re going to stay with that and let his progression dictate when he’s ready. We won’t be hurrying him, that’s for sure.”

MacTavish conceded that being without Nugent-Hopkins would create a big hole in their lineup, but it would also be an opportunity for some of the Oilers’ young forwards.
Quote:
No.

MacTavish said he might not be ready. Plus they've told Hall he might be playing C to start the season if RNH is out.

You're the one going off assumptions if you think he definitely will be ready to go.

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 08-29-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 07:28 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I don't think anybody from the team will go on record saying when RNH will be ready because its pretty unpredictable. It's just kind of dumb to even bother speculating. I just expect the worst and am happily surprised when it doesn't happen.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:47 PM
AJGass4

I'd much rather him be 100% and strong, he is just too valuable to play at anything less.

I'm willing to have him take as long as he needs. Kid must have been in a fair amount of pain last season and rarely, if ever, complained.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Usual_Suspect

@JoshRimerHockey
Been told not to NOT be surprised if the Avalanche deal Paul Stastny to Buffalo for Ryan Miller. Stastny is headed to UFA in summer........

@JoshRimerHockey
But needs a new change of scenery to get back his scoring touch. Miller wants to be closer to West Coast. Win, Win.

@JoshRimerHockey
I find it funny that people in Colorado say that they need more then Miller for Stastny & people in Buffalo say they need more then Stastny

Last edited by Usual_Suspect: 08-29-2013 at 10:43 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@JoshRimerHockey
Been told not to NOT be surprised if the Avalanche deal Paul Stastny to Buffalo for Ryan Miller. Stastny is headed to UFA in summer........
Rimer is barely credible.

Has Gagner been dealt to Toronto or Vancouver yet?

Is Luongo a guaranteed Leaf yet?

Old
08-29-2013, 10:17 PM
gqmixmaster

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@JoshRimerHockey
that would be bad for Edmonton, lets hope this doesn't work out

Old
08-29-2013, 10:28 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gqmixmaster View Post
that would be bad for Edmonton, lets hope this doesn't work out
Colorado isn't in the division so not sure how it would be bad?

Cuz Mill would be in the West in general?

Old
08-29-2013, 10:37 PM
Usual_Suspect

Also Col doesn't really need Miller

Old
08-29-2013, 10:42 PM
jp7

I thought Varlamov was their guy? /shrug

Old
08-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7 View Post
I thought Varlamov was their guy? /shrug
@NHLbyMatty
Is Jhonas Enroth good enuff to start in Buff if Miller goes to Colo for Stastny or would they enlarge deal with Varly going to Sabres?

Closed Thread