HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III: "Hemsky Off The Market" - MacT Presser

Closed Thread

Old
09-04-2013, 12:09 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
What is wrong with some of you people. Hemsky was about the only thing that kept this team exciting to watch for years. All he has done wrong is get injured going to the tough areas. It's not like he has been a useless perimeter player who didn't give a damn. Give the guy some ****ing respect, he beat his body up for years with a piece of **** team and always stuck around. For those who don't think that he has any value are kidding yourselves.
I fully appreciate and respect what Hemsky has done for the Oilers over his career. However, this is a business and Hemsky doesn't fit this team going forward, and should be moved for a player that better fits what our needs are going forward. Same goes for Smyth.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:21 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 500
Quote:
What is wrong with some of you people. Hemsky was about the only thing that kept this team exciting to watch for years. All he has done wrong is get injured going to the tough areas. It's not like he has been a useless perimeter player who didn't give a damn. Give the guy some ****ing respect, he beat his body up for years with a piece of **** team and always stuck around. For those who don't think that he has any value are kidding yourselves.
No one who actually followed Hemsky through his career would spout off against him. I think there are a few green bananas on here.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:31 PM
Ser Woof
Too proud to beg

vCash: 86
Shiny toy syndrome.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
So we are just suppose to live in the past and not look forward?

It's a cap world there and we don't have a lot of it, there isn't much room for keeping stars of the past making 5mil happy.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:44 PM
joestevens29

I asked MacTavish if he's looking at bringing in a veteran or two on a PTO. He said he is, but admitted he doesn't expect many players to accept one due to the risk of an injury. He was clear that if he does bring in a veteran it will be a forward, because he feels the Oilers lack depth at the forward position.

Don't expect Brad Boyes to come to camp. He is more of the same of what they have. Skill with little grit or a strong defensive pedigree.

via gregor's latest blog

Old
09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Ignoring a player's near uselessness because of success multiple years earlier(or name brand, draft position, etc.) is one of the main reasons this organization has went downhill.

It isn't 2008 anymore.

Player value changes. Time to move on.

Old
09-04-2013, 12:53 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Ignoring a player's near uselessness because of success multiple years earlier(or name brand, draft position, etc.) is one of the main reasons this organization has went downhill.

It isn't 2008 anymore.

At the very least Hemsky is still a ~45 point player in a middle 6 role. That isn't useless at all

Old
09-04-2013, 01:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
At the very least Hemsky is still a ~45 point player in a middle 6 role. That isn't useless at all
At 5mil it isn't money well spent.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Should have bought him out and kept Horcoff. I'm still cheering for Hemmer, but this reeks of favoring Katz's pockets over the welfare of this team. Same old, same old from our so-called saviour.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:14 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
As far as I've know, we've never heard a thing about him coming to camp out of shape.

This whole bit about his work-ethic being bad is pretty unfair to him. He got killed for years trying to make things happen on a team less talented than him, I don't think it's fair to assume his off ice practices are lacking.
As coach MacTavish used to take shots at his conditioning level

Old
09-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Dangerdanger

Quote:
I agree, it's too much for what he brought last year. If he gets back up to 50 points next year, I could see a multi-year contract in the $3.5M range. He's definitely good to have around as a top-6 forward option that's still good defensively.

Regardless, that $5M is better spent on him than on the garbage that was available this year.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:25 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerdanger View Post
I agree, it's too much for what he brought last year. If he gets back up to 50 points next year, I could see a multi-year contract in the $3.5M range. He's definitely good to have around as a top-6 forward option that's still good defensively.

Regardless, that $5M is better spent on him than on the garbage that was available this year.
Hemsky should never be given a multi-year deal by the Oilers again. We have 2 RW's that will play above him in the lineup and he isn't suited for the third line long term.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:33 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Hemsky should never be given a multi-year deal by the Oilers again. We have 2 RW's that will play above him in the lineup and he isn't suited for the third line long term.
At this point of his career there is an equal size chance that Hemsky is playing in the Czech Republic in 3 years as he is playing in the NHL

No shot against Hemmer but if he sees any significant decline in his speed or health will there we much market for him? He's going to be a one year deal guy going forward, IMO

Old
09-04-2013, 01:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
At this point of his career there is an equal size chance that Hemsky is playing in the Czech Republic in 3 years as he is playing in the NHL

No shot against Hemmer but if he sees any significant decline in his speed or health will there we much market for him? He's going to be a one year deal guy going forward, IMO
Agreed.

I hope he plays here though, or at least in the NHL for the next few years. I think he still has the skill and the wheels.

Old
09-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I asked MacTavish if he's looking at bringing in a veteran or two on a PTO. He said he is, but admitted he doesn't expect many players to accept one due to the risk of an injury. He was clear that if he does bring in a veteran it will be a forward, because he feels the Oilers lack depth at the forward position.

Don't expect Brad Boyes to come to camp. He is more of the same of what they have. Skill with little grit or a strong defensive pedigree.

via gregor's latest blog
Hopefully he doesn't miss the boat on some of the better veterans.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
It's a sunk cost at this point though.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
jbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
Should have bought him out and kept Horcoff. I'm still cheering for Hemmer, but this reeks of favoring Katz's pockets over the welfare of this team. Same old, same old from our so-called saviour.
Keeping Horcoff costs more money and keeps around a bad cap hit longer. If they wanted to save money they would trade Hemsky for a 7th rounder. This post makes no sense whatsoever, I don't like Katz at all, but never have I suspected that he is trying to nickle and dime the organization.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:38 PM
shogun99

Hemsky has always been one of my favorite Oilers of all time. It's just the last few seasons it seems liked he's cashed it in and put forth minimal effort. If he's willing to put in effort this season and accept a 2nd-3rd line role and 2nd PP unit then I think he will be a great assest to the team.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

Quote:

It isn't 2008 anymore.

Handing over unearned ice time to young players without earning it had a big part in why this team went downhill. Not valuing experienced players who can outscore the opposition might be considered a reason too. Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of others, namely the worst management in the league and a ridiculous coaching situation. You think that might have more of a reason behind this team's failure than one effective, though often injured winger?

You're right though. It is time to move on. But Hemsky is not and has never been the problem with this team. There is no need to tar and feather him on the way out of town. 5 mil a year is too much for him right now. And teams want to see that he's healthy. But he still has value. He only JUST turned 30. A good team will turn an established player into some assets when the time comes to move on.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:50 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I respect MacT and Hemsky talking to the media this morning. They were open and candid, and it's good to have this addressed.

I still don't see how Hemsky fits in this team, and wish he had been traded in the offseason. MacT's comments that Hemsky is "off the market" concerns me. If an offer presents itself during the season, I would hope we take it.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

I have no problem with this.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:51 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

I was someone who was supporting dealing Hemsky away (or ideally using a compliance buyout when they were available) and then acquiring 1 or 2 players that would be better fits in the bottom 6.

Well he's staying and Hemsky says he's committed to the team and wants to also make improvements in his own game to be a better leader and play a more team game.

MacT has said he's off the market and wants him to be a part of the team going forward and hasn't ruled out another contract as a possibility.

As a fan... I'm willing to throw my support behind the move and I'm hoping he can indeed get a fresh outlook under Eakins and be a productive and valuable player going forward for the Oilers.

The talk sounds good... now the actions have to back it up. Hemsky always had the talent, it's just been a question of fit outside the top 6 and if he's willing and able to take on a somewhat reduced role on the roster as he's no longer THE premier talent in the lineup.

If he does bring a good attitude (which it looks like he will) to camp... I think he can be a solid part of the roster and as an injury fill-in for the top 6 and on the PP (when injuries inevitably hit) it's hard to think of many that would be a better fit.

I agree the cap hit of $5 million is high for his spot in the lineup... but it is what it is and it's just for 1 more year.

It's certainly a "show me" year for Hemsky. I could still see him being dealt at the deadline but now I can also see him being signed to another contract as well if he manages to stay healthy and has a solid season.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:

It isn't 2008 anymore.

Hemsky isn't a useless player.

Travis Yosts blog post about Hits VS Turnovers should be mandatory reading.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Keeping Horcoff costs more money and keeps around a bad cap hit longer. If they wanted to save money they would trade Hemsky for a 7th rounder. This post makes no sense whatsoever, I don't like Katz at all, but never have I suspected that he is trying to nickle and dime the organization.
Keeping Horcoff gives us needed center depth. I'd bet they tried to give Hemsky away like they did with Horcoff but nobody bit.

As for Katz, look how much money he has pocketed by keeping our payroll far, far below the salary cap in the past few years. Buyouts on cheap plugs instead of guys like Hemsky. He is nickel and diming the paying fan, not the org.

Or you can just believe that he's doing the best he can. Honestly I don't really care what a happy season ticket holder thinks anymore. Ignorance may be bliss, but I can spend more of my time on more deserving hobbies and relationships.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:24 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
yeah "useless" is a massive stretch. Before breaking his foot last season pretty much everyone was happy with his play. Hemsky isn't the problem and he ain't "useless". I literally had to defend him from being compared to Zherdev the other day, that's craziness.

Closed Thread