HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next Islander number retired?

Old
08-09-2013, 07:57 AM
crasherino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
If we can retire a bowtie how about a microphone for Jiggs McDonald or Stan Fischler
Can't have Jiggs without Ed Westfall

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 08:21 PM
bigtim1988
veteran user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
If we can retire a bowtie how about a microphone for Jiggs McDonald or Stan Fischler
Haha, I got a kick outta that one.

As of right now, there shouldn't be any numbers retired. Goring and Tonelli prob deserved to have their numbers retired, but that ship has sailed. It would just be weird if they did it now.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I can def see this team retiring 39 as like a nice gesture type of thing. It sounds whacky, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If the isles win the cup, or have some very good years, tavares, and maybe a few more in the future

bigtim1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 09:25 PM
BTrotts19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim1988 View Post

As of right now, there shouldn't be any numbers retired. Goring and Tonelli prob deserved to have their numbers retired, but that ship has sailed. It would just be weird if they did it now.

I hope I'm wrong about this, but I can def see this team retiring 39 as like a nice gesture type of thing. It sounds whacky, but it wouldn't surprise me.

If the isles win the cup, or have some very good years, tavares, and maybe a few more in the future
Good lord, if that ever happened without the dozen or so more deserving, the amount of shyte we be nearly unbearable. I am not sure how I could even defend that, as a lifelong Islander fan. Honestly I don't see that happening--but I guess anything is possible.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 11:23 PM
JTforPres2012

The hot dog vendor from the Cup years.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 11:09 AM
Giuseppe Franco

Quote:

Would have to think even Wang is not crazy/ballsy enough to do that, but also would not be shocked to see Rick made the team Hall of Fame. Personally, my standards are pretty high for getting your # retired. The more exclusive you make it, the more important the honor becomes. I'm betting Tavares will be next.

Giuseppe Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Aucoin3

Tavares. If not for Maloney we could possibly be talking Turgeon right now.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:02 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

No one, unfortunately. Tavares is the best bet as far as guys who are currently on the team. Just needs to spend at least another 5 or 6 years here(that will be 9 or 10 years as an Islander.. his contract guarantees at least 9 years), and he'll most likely have to win a Cup.

IMO we'll be at a Cup Contender level in about 2 years...maybe less. He's got another 5 full seasons left on his contract. At worst, even if he walks at the end of it(doubtful, though I suppose anything is possible), he should be a part of a Cup caliber team for at least 3 years or so. Most likely more, when he re-signs.

Tavares is IMO the safest bet we have at this point.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:

I would be the first person ejected from the Coliseum/Barclays for ripping my seat out of the floor and tossing it onto the ice. Followed by the remaining fans throwing bottles and other crap.

Nice jesture my ass.. If we get a new owner, we will never see him step foot at an Islander game again.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 04:03 PM
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
Can't have Jiggs without Ed Westfall
Ed was also instrumental in providing leadership to our early squads while the young players who would go on to lead us to the Stanley Cup gained experience so I have no problem retiring Ed with Jiggs

MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:43 PM
19 Straight

None. No other retired Islander deserves a retired jersey.

19 Straight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 07:06 PM
leaponover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparksrus3 View Post
Brent Sutter would be my choice
I second that!

<-----------

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:16 PM
IslandersFan

Won't happen because he wasn't a stats machine but my choice is still with the organization - #6

Kenny Morrow will likely be the only amatuer to win an Olympic Gold and Lord Stanley's Cup in the same season - the 1st of his 4 with the Isles...

Steady defense, timely goals, often played injured... one of my favorite Isles all-time...

IslandersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Isles72

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan View Post
Won't happen because he wasn't a stats machine but my choice is still with the organization - #6

Kenny Morrow will likely be the only amatuer to win an Olympic Gold and Lord Stanley's Cup in the same season - the 1st of his 4 with the Isles...

Steady defense, timely goals, often played injured... one of my favorite Isles all-time...
yeah I was going to say the same thing about Morrow

Morrow , Tonelli , Goring , Persson ....all worthy of having number retired.

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 12:44 PM
lost35*

Quote:

Travis Green has a better chance of getting his #39 retired then the last guy to wear it

lost35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 01:09 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles72 View Post
yeah I was going to say the same thing about Morrow

Morrow , Tonelli , Goring , Persson ....all worthy of having number retired.
That's definitely the next group (but not Goring).

Goring played what? 4 and a half years for the Islanders? I realize they were the RIGHT years, but sorry he doesn't belong.

I would include Brent Sutter and Billy Harris in the group as well.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 02:39 PM
OlTimeHockey

I would like 39 retired....or, to phrase it better, never allowed to be worn again, ever, on the bench or in the lockerroom. I don't believe this will happen, so make it the designated goon number.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 03:17 PM
Jester9881

I think they got it right with the guys already up there. No one else really stands out as deserving of that kind of honor..... that's what we have the Islanders HOF for. Adding anyone else would come across to me as trying to drum up excitement to sell tickets for an event, and that cheapens the meaning of how special the other retired players were.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 03:50 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
I think they got it right with the guys already up there. No one else really stands out as deserving of that kind of honor..... that's what we have the Islanders HOF for. Adding anyone else would come across to me as trying to drum up excitement to sell tickets for an event, and that cheapens the meaning of how special the other retired players were.
I agree with this. The Sutter, Tonelli, Persson, Morrow, Harris group is a fairly big drop-off from those already there.

Tavares is the next one. In 5 years time at 28 years old, he'll have about 9 years of service, around 700 games and 700 points. Or somewhere in that neighborhood. Even if he walks away in 5 years at the prime of his career, numbers and service like that are banner worthy alone.

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:11 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Retired numbers should be saved for only the cream of the crop. Lafontaine (maybe Tonelli) are the closet players to earning their #'s retired-but no I don't think they should be. I don't think Nystrom's # should up there either though.

Only Tavares has the potential right now.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2013, 04:20 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Just Tavares.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Bossyfan71

How Goring is not in the Isles HOF is beyond me. He was the missing piece of the puzzle that lead the Isles to 4 titles. His #91 should be retired. I'm sure JT will understand and pick a lower number.

Mike

Bossyfan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:01 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossyfan71 View Post
How Goring is not in the Isles HOF is beyond me. He was the missing piece of the puzzle that lead the Isles to 4 titles. His #91 should be retired. I'm sure JT will understand and pick a lower number.

Mike
too late now.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:14 AM
crasherino

Quote:

That's not a nice gesture. A nice gesture would be retiring Kevin Colley's 62 because the dude broke his neck playing the game. Retiring 39 would be a taunt, a sarcastic **** you from a frustrated team who would be lamenting what could have been.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:56 PM
GrabnerIsGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
i think you meant 3 at once - lafontaine, palffy and reasoner. No?
add john sim duh

GrabnerIsGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:56 PM
iLandHer

Kenny Jonsson was my favorite Islander as a kid, but I just don't think it'd be right to retire anyone's number who didn't win a cup.

Those numbers in the rafters are there for a reason, and it's not just because they were good players. You start to diminish the honor if you let others in without at least a similar resume (because lets face it, dynasties may never be seen again).

If the Isles can win a cup with JT as the captain, I could see his number being retired. But even then, I'd really want him to win at least two to be put up there. Although if he wins one, he would have brought the Isles back to relevancy which nobody has been able to do for quite some time.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote