HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garon no1 --- if you think so, come here!

View Poll Results: Was Garon the Futur in nets for the Habs before he was traded?
Garon would have over taken the No1 Job. (He would have forced a trade) 31 30.69%
Garon would have waited till Theo was retired to take on the No1 Job. 39 38.61%
Garon is not a No1 Goalie 24 23.76%
Otherspecify) 7 6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2005, 02:53 AM
SoundsGood

vCash: 500
Garon no1 --- if you think so, come here!

Someone needs to explain something to me because I don't get it.
(My bad if this has been done and I missed it)

When Garon was in montreal, I kept seeing people say that Garon was the futur no1 goalie here.
---------------------------------
GAMES PLAYED
Theodore has somewhere around 315 NHL Games under his belt and
was Born Sep 13 1976.

Garon has somewhere around 45 NHL Games under his belt and
was Born Jan 9 1978.
Theo and Garon have 1 year 4 months in age difference but Theo has 7 times more experience... Not just 2 or 3 times... 7! On top of that he has a Hart and a Vezina. And who knows how much better he would have played if his family didn't get into trouble, how better he will play when(if) the NHL starts again.

How can someone who is only 1 year 4 months younger and has 7 times less experience, be the Habs goalie futur? (Keeping in mind that Theo still has what? at least 6 good years left in him)

Last edited by SoundsGood: 06-25-2005 at 02:58 AM.
Old
06-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I'm not convinced yet that Garon is or ever will be a #1 goalie in the NHL. He might be. He might not be. There are dozens of Garons all around the league. Any goalie can steal a game and look fabulous on any given night in today's game. His game aganist LA got a lot of attention, but I guarantee you that the best night of any NHL goalie, and most AHL goalies, would have been the same. Instead, one has to base it on his overall skills and his overall ability and consistency. And so far, there's nothing there to suggest that Garon is better than the upper pack of AHL goalies or NHL backups.

People make light of the fact that he was waived with no takers a couple of years ago, but it just emphasises the goaltending situation in the NHL these days. EVERY team has at least one Garon already. Some teams have two or more. Which ones will be the next Kiprusoff? It's impossible (at least for me) to predict. With such a relatively level playing field in the goaltending position, so much hinges on chance... opportunity, the team you play behind, etc. Adam Hauser played just as well as Garon this year in Manchester. On the Oilers board, most would take Ty Conklin over Garon. That's pretty much the league situation in a nutshell. Jim Carey, Byron Dafoe, Arturs Irbe, maybe Giguere?, Turek, Lalime, etc... fame can be fleeting even at the upper end of the goaltending scale. It gets even dicier down where Garon is.

Old
06-25-2005, 08:43 AM
eddy

What happened is exactly what I expected he is capable of being a #1 but not good enough to take over Theodore's spot so it's only fair to him to be traded to a team where he can be the #1 rather than not developing and being Theo's back-up for the rest of his carear. The big issue was always if he could be better then Theodore and tak ehis spot and I strongly believe that would never happen Garon I see being a good #1 goalie but Thedore is top 5 in the league, I don't see Garon ever being at that level.

Old
06-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I think Garon is a good goalie and has potential to be as good as the post 01-02 Theodore. Which is above average. But he's yet to prove it, and it won't be easy in LA, with the mediocre team they have.

Old
06-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Garon as potential star.. because of his size, great atlethism, skills and work ethic but he would have needed to wait for Theo to do bad for a long time before the Habs give up on him. or at least doing better than theo for 2 straight season as a ''backup'' playing around 30 games a year.

Old
06-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
I still believe Garon will be something special. Had their been a season this year, Garon imo would have come out flying or should i say making saves really, really fast!!!

Late bloomer, perhaps, but hes defenately got the potential to be a very good number one, and i still believe he will be better then Theo!

Just my opinion ofcourse........

As for taking over Theo, i don't think it would have happened. Not because hes not talented enough to, but because Theo has an incredible reputation with this team, and the fans absolutely love him.

Old
06-25-2005, 09:49 AM
goalchenyuk

the only think i don't like about the game ( or the man ) of Garon is that he look too gentle ,to shy; no fire in the eyes.I am sure that he's a good goaler,but not a good fighter and that's the difference betwen him and Théo

Old
06-25-2005, 09:53 AM
habsfansam

The fact that he was traded screams that he had no chance at being #1, though he deserved one. Personally, I think habs management did a very nice thing for Garon... they gave him a chance at his dream. I hope he turns out really well because he was one of the most patient prospects ever... I never heard him complain about being number two.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:05 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
the only think i don't like about the game ( or the man ) of Garon is that he look too gentle ,to shy; no fire in the eyes.I am sure that he's a good goaler,but not a good fighter and that's the difference betwen him and Théo

Bingo. He's a flake. He was as a junior. And will be as a pro. He'll be splendid against puny teams in no-meaning games. But will suck during big games.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:11 AM
habsfan92

Oh my god.
When he was one of our prospects, everyone was gaga over the thought of him pushing Theo out and taking over. Now that he is gone, no one thinks he was that good.
The fact is that Habs management was expecting him to be better than Theo. Size, ability, glove, and head for being a number 1. Sorry, not just a number 1, but supplanting Theo.
Garon has dominated the minors, and is ready for the big time. He has done far better than..let say for this example Vokoun, who has not had the same success in the AHL, but has still gone on to be a number one. As far as being passed over in the waivers a couple of years ago(if this actuallyhappened), I am sure that Mtl had warned teams that there would be repurcussions if they stole him.It is common that teams respect certain players and do not select them away.
I personally would rather the Habs traded away Theo and his problems, but I am upset that they only got Bonk for one of the top two goaltending prospects in the top league in the world.
Lastly, he never complained maybe because he had no basis to. Your playing behind a Hart and Vezina trophy winner, how do you complain about ice time? Perhaps he has some CLASS?
Anyways, my 200 cents.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:13 AM
RLC

The habs had Garon on the bench for what, 3 years.
He is 3 years younger then Theo that's all.
He never complained.
He deserved a shot but it would not happen with the habs. He was great insurance. Then along came Danis.
The Habs saw an oppertunity to have a win-win.
Give Garon his shot and get something in return with the assurance that Danis is comming along just fine.
I do not see any downside for anyone in this trade at all.
If Bonk produces and helps the Habs ( I think he will) then we will see the very good trade the Habs made.
Lets see what Garon and Bonk do next year and then judge the trade.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:20 AM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92
Oh my god.
When he was one of our prospects, everyone was gaga over the thought of him pushing Theo out and taking over. Now that he is gone, no one thinks he was that good.
The fact is that Habs management was expecting him to be better than Theo. Size, ability, glove, and head for being a number 1. Sorry, not just a number 1, but supplanting Theo.
Garon has dominated the minors, and is ready for the big time. He has done far better than..let say for this example Vokoun, who has not had the same success in the AHL, but has still gone on to be a number one. As far as being passed over in the waivers a couple of years ago(if this actuallyhappened), I am sure that Mtl had warned teams that there would be repurcussions if they stole him.It is common that teams respect certain players and do not select them away.
I personally would rather the Habs traded away Theo and his problems, but I am upset that they only got Bonk for one of the top two goaltending prospects in the top league in the world.
Lastly, he never complained maybe because he had no basis to. Your playing behind a Hart and Vezina trophy winner, how do you complain about ice time? Perhaps he has some CLASS?
Anyways, my 200 cents.

Talk about overhyping.

I followed his career as a junior. He was a flake. Still is. Sorry to bring you back to reality.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:50 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I still think he can become a very good starting goalie and I hope he does.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:53 AM
Habsaku

Hes a very good and talented goalie. I think he'll shine elsewhere and become a solid number 1. Wether hes better then THeodore or not we dont know and we wont know until they both start playing. All this is just speculation right now but I wouldnt bet against Garon just yet. Just think about it, Thibault was god awefull but still managed an all-star appearance after we traded him and I doubt people have more faith in Thibault then Garon.

Old
06-25-2005, 10:53 AM
habsfan92

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Talk about overhyping.

I followed his career as a junior. He was a flake. Still is. Sorry to bring you back to reality.
His career as a junior? Number one goalie on a crappy WJ team, tied career shutouts in the Q? That flaky junior career? 1997-98 CHL goaltender of the year?
Who's reality are you in?

Old
06-25-2005, 10:57 AM
tinyzombies

And they brought Theodore along slowly as well. He's come a long way from that game against the Devils in 98.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Page
Someone needs to explain something to me because I don't get it.
(My bad if this has been done and I missed it)

When Garon was in montreal, I kept seeing people say that Garon was the futur no1 goalie here.
GAMES PLAYED
Theodore has somewhere around 315 NHL Games under his belt and
was Born Sep 13 1976.

Garon has somewhere around 45 NHL Games under his belt and
was Born Jan 9 1978.
Theo and Garon have 1 year 4 months in age difference but Theo has 7 times more experience... Not just 2 or 3 times... 7! On top of that he has a Hart and a Vezina. And who knows how much better he would have played if his family didn't get into trouble, how better he will play when(if) the NHL starts again.

How can someone who is only 1 year 4 months younger and has 7 times less experience, be the Habs goalie futur? (Keeping in mind that Theo still has what? at least 6 good years left in him)

Old
06-25-2005, 02:47 PM
jcpenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
The habs had Garon on the bench for what, 3 years.
He is 3 years younger then Theo that's all.
He never complained.
He deserved a shot but it would not happen with the habs. He was great insurance. Then along came Danis.
The Habs saw an oppertunity to have a win-win.
Give Garon his shot and get something in return with the assurance that Danis is comming along just fine.
I do not see any downside for anyone in this trade at all.
If Bonk produces and helps the Habs ( I think he will) then we will see the very good trade the Habs made.
Lets see what Garon and Bonk do next year and then judge the trade.
By the way Garon is just one year younger than Theo.

Old
06-25-2005, 03:11 PM
SoundsGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcpenny
By the way Garon is just one year younger than Theo.
Yes, a lot of people seem to forget that.

That is why I put in the Poll the option of Garon taken over when Theo retires. I wanted to see how many didn't take into account that Theo is about the same age as Garon.

Old
06-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Traitor8

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan92
Oh my god.
Anyways, my 200 cents.
He's 27...Hardly a prospect anymore...

and oh ya! i'm sure the teams were scared of the Habs had they picked Garon on waivers..BOO HOO!! so scared of the mighty Andre Savard?!

AND THE FUNNIEST PART:

Oh ya! The habs were really expecting Garon to be better then Theo..that's why they traded him away!

If I knew Garon was going to be better, I would of traded Theodore since he makes more and has better value then Garon. You have absolutely no idea what you are saying!

Theo and his problems? His dad has problems..not him and he responded very well!

Old
06-25-2005, 05:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

I'm a huge Garon fan and was very pissed to see him traded but that's the way it goes. I do think he'll be a starter and imo he'll be a very good one. I have no idea if he would be able to take over Theo's job, but the way I saw it, Theodore runs the risk of becoming too expensive for us. (pre lockout days) As I can't really see him taking a pay cut and going up from 6M is a huge contract. But now we'll in a new NHL so who knows what will happen with contracts over the next few years.

I'm not the biggest Theodore fan, I happen to think he's a tad overrated but there's no doubt he's a very good goalie. Tough to say if Garon will ever be on that level but imo I feel he might be able to reach that level someday.

Old
06-25-2005, 05:09 PM
not quite yoda

Garon has inferior skill to Theodore. But not by that much.

Garon could have been a very good no1 for us as soon as this season. With his inferior noteriety around the League, his contract woulda cost us a quarter of Theo's contract (important in the cap world). Also with Theo's past success, he will be chased after by teams (like TOR!) when he becomes a UFA (in a year or two?). He will be very expensive to keep.

Theo's contract is 4 times more than Garon's.
Theo's skill is not 4 times more than Garon's. Not even 2 times more.
Garon woulda been a fine no1 and Theodore would have netted us (one year ago) a great return via trade. And we mighta even been able to bid for him back again as a UFA now if we wanted too!!!

Theodore for Grebeshkov+11th in 2004. That's the deal I wanted.

Old
06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

I think we should all move on. No reason to think about hypothetical situations ...no what ifs. Bob Gainey made that move for a reason and we should all trust him. He's a real hockey guy. He won stanley cups as a player and a Gm. We should all drop this nonesense abotu Garon being better than theo and vice versa because you know, it doesnt' matter.

I wish Garon all the luck in L.A.

Old
06-25-2005, 07:40 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komisarek8
He's 27...Hardly a prospect anymore...

and oh ya! i'm sure the teams were scared of the Habs had they picked Garon on waivers..BOO HOO!! so scared of the mighty Andre Savard?!

AND THE FUNNIEST PART:

Oh ya! The habs were really expecting Garon to be better then Theo..that's why they traded him away!

If I knew Garon was going to be better, I would of traded Theodore since he makes more and has better value then Garon. You have absolutely no idea what you are saying!

Theo and his problems? His dad has problems..not him and he responded very well!
It's interesting that you should mock how good the habs thought Garon would be... especially since two guys that know little something about goaltending (namely Rollie Melanson and Jeff Hackett) both have said that Garon has the best legs in the business and that he is incredibly sound technically.

Also, more goes into decisionmaking on trades than you have accounted for... namely that Theo has become a quebecois icon. He's flambouyant and good looking and if you traded him to a contender (namely a team that could afford to pay a goalie 6mil/season) and he won a cup, you'd have essentially tied your own noose in the press, which would lose you a job.

To be really honest with you, I don't think it really matters who is between the pipes for Montreal so long as Rollie Melanson continues to be the goaltending coach. He is the best goaltending coach in the business, period. Considering that he alone survived the firing of the entire coaching staff when Therrien bowed out, that should tell you something.

Old
06-25-2005, 08:51 PM
Traitor8

there is more to goaltending then just his "quick legs"...

and there is no chance in Hell Gainey would of lost his job..IT'S GAINEY!

Old
06-25-2005, 09:17 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man

Theodore for Grebeshkov+11th in 2004. That's the deal I wanted.
I think, it'd have been a bad trade in the circumstances.We'd have got a really good offensive minded d plus a pick in a NOT DEEP DRAFT.The 2004 draft was so weak, I'd have asked way more.I alsol wanted us to do a trade during the draft day, we traded for Bonk though.I'd have offered Plekanec, Theodore, our first round pick for Cam Barker and Mark Bell.Well, we'd still have had Garon and plus we'd got the off d we need and an underrated center...who would have been a great fit in our third line.I'd have traded Theo...for something interesting (cause I don't think the Hawks would have did this trade)...I think, Garon would done a great job as our n#1 but that's just me.

Last edited by CH Wizard: 06-25-2005 at 09:54 PM.
Closed Thread