HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

How about Scott Jackson?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2005, 11:09 AM
  #1
Habsfan 32
Registered User
 
Habsfan 32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Way up north...
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,319
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
How about Scott Jackson?

I was looking at the WHL Top 40 eligible players for this years draft and I found out he was rated very high 5th. He's also ranked 33rd overall by ISS. I think this guy would be a really good 2nd round pick for us. He's big, physical and he had a good plus minus this season.

Habsfan 32 is offline  
Old
06-25-2005, 08:38 PM
  #2
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
He's a below average skater and isn't very physical, he has good size but needs to use it a lot more.

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 08:25 AM
  #3
HABFAN28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vald'Or, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Latendresse

I think Latendresse would be a very good late second round early 3rd round choice... he's big, fast has good hands and played for Canada at the U18... he was drafted just after Crosby in the LHJMQ... but he's ranked has a late second round choice...


In the first round there's a few interesting players out there. We all know Crosby but Ryan O'Marra, Devin Setoguchin are both very good prospects. Marc Staal has roomed to grow but may be a little overrated has being the brother of Eric... I like Luc Bourdon as a defenseman (i've seen him play and he's very consistent..)... In goal this may not be the best year has Carey Price is the best goalie out there...

Benoit Pouliot looks interesting also, but i've never seen him play and i've heard he's too soft...

With all the eyes on Crosby everyone has forgotten another very interesting prospect in Anze Kopitar... who played at the world championship against NHL players... he has everything from soft hands and size to skating... he his NHL ready!!!

I'm sure ther's other players out there... looks like it's a very good draft year where every top 10 teams should get what they want!!!

Let's not forget that the things we need more right know are a few good defenseman in the farm club... and within a few years a good goalie...

In the first round my choice are in the order :

Sydney Crosby
Anze Kopitar
Benoit Pouliot
Bobby Ryan
Ryan Parent
Luc Bourdon
Jack Johnson
Devin Setoguchi
Ryan O'Marra
Marc Staal

There may be a few European prospect in between but i'd love to see a few more North american with the habs...

HABFAN28 is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 08:48 AM
  #4
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN28
I think Latendresse would be a very good late second round early 3rd round choice... he's big, fast has good hands and played for Canada at the U18... he was drafted just after Crosby in the LHJMQ... but he's ranked has a late second round choice...


In the first round there's a few interesting players out there. We all know Crosby but Ryan O'Marra, Devin Setoguchin are both very good prospects. Marc Staal has roomed to grow but may be a little overrated has being the brother of Eric... I like Luc Bourdon as a defenseman (i've seen him play and he's very consistent..)... In goal this may not be the best year has Carey Price is the best goalie out there...

Benoit Pouliot looks interesting also, but i've never seen him play and i've heard he's too soft...

With all the eyes on Crosby everyone has forgotten another very interesting prospect in Anze Kopitar... who played at the world championship against NHL players... he has everything from soft hands and size to skating... he his NHL ready!!!

I'm sure ther's other players out there... looks like it's a very good draft year where every top 10 teams should get what they want!!!

Let's not forget that the things we need more right know are a few good defenseman in the farm club... and within a few years a good goalie...

In the first round my choice are in the order :

Sydney Crosby
Anze Kopitar
Benoit Pouliot
Bobby Ryan
Ryan Parent
Luc Bourdon
Jack Johnson
Devin Setoguchi
Ryan O'Marra
Marc Staal

There may be a few European prospect in between but i'd love to see a few more North american with the habs...
Johnson at 7??? No Brule??? Latendresse a good late 2nd round pick? He'll be taken in the first round.

wedge is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 08:59 AM
  #5
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Latendresse is expected to be picked in the top 15 by most. The only place he was rated as low as 2nd round was in the CSB mid-season ranking. Everyone else (ISS, Redline, McKeen,,etc.) have him top-15.

Fozz is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 03:29 PM
  #6
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN28
I think Latendresse would be a very good late second round early 3rd round choice... he's big, fast has good hands and played for Canada at the U18... he was drafted just after Crosby in the LHJMQ... but he's ranked has a late second round choice...
LOL




BTW, welcome to the board newbie

Freaky Habs Fan is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
  #7
HABFAN28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vald'Or, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Latendresse and the draft

Brule is undersized and an individualist... We have too much players that are like that... The rankings i did are based on what players Montreal should try to get... if they draft lets say 10th they should look to draft a player that fits their need...

We have lots of talent in the farm club but most players are undersized... it's not a draft order for all the teams... it's a "draft order" for the habs... a list of player they should look to get...

As for Latendresse he's ranked 67th in north american skaters by the ISS... he's had an up and down season. Will he go in the first round? Maybe, in the top 15 maybe... but i'd prefer to see the habs take him in the second round... in the first round i still think it's too early... we all think he's got another level of play in him... but he hasn't shown it yet.

Don't forget, that some of the nhl teams are using ISS scouting reports to draft (not the order, the reports)... as a some teams have their own scouting service (like the habs)... will he go early it depends on which list he's on and where those team draft...

It's not that i don't like the guy... but an injured shoulder for a physical guy does not look good. I like his crash and bang style... but he's always searching for trouble in front of the net after the plays... He's got all the assets to be a strong player at the next level... so we'll see if teams are willing to take a chance on him. He's a high risk, high reward type of prospect...

HABFAN28 is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 08:47 PM
  #8
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN28
Brule is undersized and an individualist... We have too much players that are like that... The rankings i did are based on what players Montreal should try to get... if they draft lets say 10th they should look to draft a player that fits their need...

We have lots of talent in the farm club but most players are undersized... it's not a draft order for all the teams... it's a "draft order" for the habs... a list of player they should look to get...

As for Latendresse he's ranked 67th in north american skaters by the ISS... he's had an up and down season. Will he go in the first round? Maybe, in the top 15 maybe... but i'd prefer to see the habs take him in the second round... in the first round i still think it's too early... we all think he's got another level of play in him... but he hasn't shown it yet.

Don't forget, that some of the nhl teams are using ISS scouting reports to draft (not the order, the reports)... as a some teams have their own scouting service (like the habs)... will he go early it depends on which list he's on and where those team draft...

It's not that i don't like the guy... but an injured shoulder for a physical guy does not look good. I like his crash and bang style... but he's always searching for trouble in front of the net after the plays... He's got all the assets to be a strong player at the next level... so we'll see if teams are willing to take a chance on him. He's a high risk, high reward type of prospect...

Actually, it's Central Scouting that had Latendresse ranked 67th in north american skaters (in their mid-season ranking), not ISS (International Scouting Services). They are not the same agencies at all. ISS have had him in their top-20 all season long and he even cracked the top 10 a few months back. Central scouting's ranking of Latendresse was a mistake and will be rectified in the final ranking i'm sure.

Also, sure NHL teams read all scouting reports and prospect ratings but that is only to get as much information since they all have their own scouting teams. This is a professional league not a bush-wack operation.

Fozz is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 09:09 PM
  #9
Kirk Muller
Registered User
 
Kirk Muller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Brrr -18, Gomez Cold
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN28
Brule is undersized and an individualist... We have too much players that are like that... The rankings i did are based on what players Montreal should try to get... if they draft lets say 10th they should look to draft a player that fits their need...
First you don't draft based on needs. Needs are of today, not of tomorrow.

Now as for Brule. He has the best mix of skill and grit in this draft. Undersized, maybe. He is 5-10 currently and could conceivable be 5-11 or 6-0 come NHL time. He is strong, tough and will fight if needed. Now will the NHL change rules so smaller skill guys have a bigger place. It is also conceivable they will as they try to market a more exciting faster game.

Kirk Muller is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 09:36 PM
  #10
HABFAN28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vald'Or, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
NHL Scouting

You're right about CSS... i'm sorry for my mistake. But for the scouting departement of each team you would be right normally, but i've heard a few teams have cut some of they're scouting staff this year and will use ISS reports filling the void... They talked about it in a special report on this Lockout on RDS...

They said that this is not the case for the habs because they kept the departement intact... we all know they made the cut elsewhere...

Guillaume Latendresse could be a top 15 prospect on every scouting list has you said but i'd still be hapy to see the habs take him in the second round and get another top player with him (everyone can dream!!!)

HABFAN28 is offline  
Old
06-26-2005, 09:41 PM
  #11
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN28
Guillaume Latendresse could be a top 15 prospect on every scouting list has you said but i'd still be hapy to see the habs take him in the second round and get another top player with him (everyone can dream!!!)
yes, and we would also be happy if Crosby is still available at our pick, say 15th overall.

And if you talk about drafting according to our needs, why are you picking Bourdon ahead of Johnson?

wedge is offline  
Old
06-27-2005, 06:43 AM
  #12
HABFAN28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vald'Or, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 33
vCash: 500
Bourdon vs Johnson

I prefer to draft a Quebec player from an American at almost the same talent (Johnson being ranked 4th overall and Bourdon 10th). I know Johnson could be better, but Bourdon is one inch taller. And i've seen Bourdon play a lot of times being in Val d'Or.

He's a very consistent defenseman... unfortunately he had an off game at the CHL top prospect game (which is like an All-Star game, offensively oriented)... But he was good at the U18 this year for team Canada and should play at the U20 this year.

He's also very good at offense... when you look at his stats don't forget that he played for the foreur which struggled at the offense. He was one of their best weapon at defense with Bisaillon.

We need that type of player since Hainsey struggled to adapt to the pro game.

This local guy could become a star player for the habs at defense... when you take a guy born in Quebec you know he grow up dreaming of playing for the habs and would do everything for the team... that's not the case of an american player...

HABFAN28 is offline  
Old
06-27-2005, 07:39 AM
  #13
wedge
Registered User
 
wedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: victoriaville
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABFAN28
I prefer to draft a Quebec player from an American at almost the same talent (Johnson being ranked 4th overall and Bourdon 10th). I know Johnson could be better, but Bourdon is one inch taller. And i've seen Bourdon play a lot of times being in Val d'Or.

He's a very consistent defenseman... unfortunately he had an off game at the CHL top prospect game (which is like an All-Star game, offensively oriented)... But he was good at the U18 this year for team Canada and should play at the U20 this year.

He's also very good at offense... when you look at his stats don't forget that he played for the foreur which struggled at the offense. He was one of their best weapon at defense with Bisaillon.

We need that type of player since Hainsey struggled to adapt to the pro game.

This local guy could become a star player for the habs at defense... when you take a guy born in Quebec you know he grow up dreaming of playing for the habs and would do everything for the team... that's not the case of an american player...
maybe, but Jack Johnson is considered by many to be picked 2nd overall.

Johnson is considered a Norris-caliber defenseman- not Bourdon.

I would never pass on a guy like Johnson just to draft a Quebecer. That's a mistake that's been made too often by the Habs.

If you're talking about Bourdon and Staal, then I would take Bourdon, as I think these two are quite similar in talent. But Johnson? no way

wedge is offline  
Old
06-27-2005, 09:29 AM
  #14
Fozz
Registered User
 
Fozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 6,359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderama
maybe, but Jack Johnson is considered by many to be picked 2nd overall.

Johnson is considered a Norris-caliber defenseman- not Bourdon.

I would never pass on a guy like Johnson just to draft a Quebecer. That's a mistake that's been made too often by the Habs.

If you're talking about Bourdon and Staal, then I would take Bourdon, as I think these two are quite similar in talent. But Johnson? no way
Good point. At the same talent level, I have no problem if the team takes the french player (Bourdon is not a Quebecois, he's from N.B.). However, if the team passes up on a more talented player in order to draft a frenchman, then I'd be pissed!! And I'm French!

Fozz is offline  
Old
06-29-2005, 02:00 AM
  #15
Lalonde
Registered User
 
Lalonde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 113
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Lalonde
I think if Timmins and Co will take Bourdon, they won't be disappointed. We lack of defence' depth,so such good physical all-round defender is a necessary for us. IMHO,he is one of the most improved players in the QMJHL. He was the best D in WC U-18 in Czech Republic... I'd like to see Bourdon our first pick.
He's acadien,right...Can't remember who was the last acadien in Habs'roster? Roland Melanson?

Lalonde is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.