HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Franson's Rights

Old
08-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Caesium

vCash: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
to be fair the title does specify "Franson's Rights"

A 2nd would be a signed 3.3M offersheet which either TO has to match or the other team gets a signed Franson. Expecting any more than a 3rd for just his rights is pathetic
If Franson would have accepted $3.3 million he would be signed by now. I suspect he's asking for between 4 and 4.5 per year. In terms of point per game average, that's around what other D around the league are making.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:26 AM
SyndicateProject
Why so serious?

vCash: 500
How many years do you guys think Fransons asking for? The only way I'd pay him 4m+ a year is if we sign him 5+ years.

I doubt he wants another bridge contract considering the time it took to sign him last year, I think he wants Leafs management to commit to him. This cap drop really screwed us

SyndicateProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:33 AM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
How many years do you guys think Fransons asking for? The only way I'd pay him 4m+ a year is if we sign him 5+ years.

I doubt he wants another bridge contract considering the time it took to sign him last year, I think he wants Leafs management to commit to him. This cap drop really screwed us
Another "bridge contract" takes him to unrestricted free agency. People love throwing around that term nowadays.

Old
08-10-2013, 12:36 AM
htpwn

Quote:
to be fair the title does specify "Franson's Rights"

A 2nd would be a signed 3.3M offersheet which either TO has to match or the other team gets a signed Franson. Expecting any more than a 3rd for just his rights is pathetic
Please explain why Toronto would trade Franson for a 3rd when they could get a 2nd, or potentially a 1st, if a team offer sheets him.

If a team wants him, then they're welcome to sign him. If not, and his demands stay as high as they reportedly are, then he can sit. Either way, the starting point for any deal is a 2nd round pick. Anything less simply does not make sense.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:39 AM
SyndicateProject
Why so serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
Another "bridge contract" takes him to unrestricted free agency. People love throwing around that term nowadays.
Didn't realize that, well dammit Nonis get to work you can't let our only RHD go. Don't be cheap.

SyndicateProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:50 AM
Vesa Awesaka
WePutTheDInOttawa

vCash: 64
I'm surprised no one has offersheeted him just to put Nonis in a must trade a player place.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:55 AM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
I'm surprised no one has offersheeted him just to put Nonis in a must trade a player place.
The problem is that no team has the money and cap space to dish out a big contract. A lot of players are heading to the KHL for this reason, there isn't enough of the pie left for everyone. The team that have the cap space don't have the dollars, and the teams that have the dollars don't have the cap space.

I think the Franson situation is interesting, Toronto might want to trade him but might not be able to find someone willing to give him the money, even if he has earned it.

Old
08-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Vatican Roulette
Detroit Fan

I'm surprised this has gone on as long as it has, I really thought he'd be signed or traded by now.

In all honesty, the leafs should trade Franson for whatever(let another team pay him that contract) and sign a UFA like Gilbert.

At this point you give the UFA a 1/2 year deal for a couple million and see what happens. Let another team take on the contract of Franson.

What about a Franson for Faska?

Toronto gets deeper at center, Dallas gets a PM d man. Just a base, I guess.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 01:25 AM
Caesium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
I'm surprised this has gone on as long as it has, I really thought he'd be signed or traded by now.

In all honesty, the leafs should trade Franson for whatever(let another team pay him that contract) and sign a UFA like Gilbert.

At this point you give the UFA a 1/2 year deal for a couple million and see what happens. Let another team take on the contract of Franson.

Toronto has no cap space, only enough to sign Kadri. They can't afford another UFA at "a couple of million".

Old
08-10-2013, 05:04 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
can the Leafs allow other teams to talk to Cody's agent without giving something first?
He's an RFA, anybody can talk to him right now... Thats how offersheets come about.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:36 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyFish View Post
he was (tied for) 6th in the league in points for defense...
Great, how many years has he done this? Him and Kadri seem to believe they should be paid for 48 good games and that's ridiculous.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:58 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post

I would do that.

Saves on capspace. Adds at a position of need. Takes away from a position of strength.

Not sure if Dallas would though, even if value is ok. They just added Gonchar, Oleksiak is probably NHL ready or close to it, and they have Goligoski. At centre on the otherhand, theyre a little thin.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 07:07 AM
oconnor9sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I would do that.

Saves on capspace. Adds at a position of need. Takes away from a position of strength.

Not sure if Dallas would though, even if value is ok. They just added Gonchar, Oleksiak is probably NHL ready or close to it, and they have Goligoski. At centre on the otherhand, theyre a little thin.
I would not do this, as a Dallas fan. PMD is probably our least biggest need, other than young PWF. Would do it for Robidas +, but not at the expense of Faksa.

oconnor9sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 08:20 AM
AslanRH
Eternal Optimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post
Please explain why Toronto would trade Franson for a 3rd when they could get a 2nd, or potentially a 1st, if a team offer sheets him.

If a team wants him, then they're welcome to sign him. If not, and his demands stay as high as they reportedly are, then he can sit. Either way, the starting point for any deal is a 2nd round pick. Anything less simply does not make sense.
Because a player asking for too much money, who won't sign and is just sitting out holds less value than that same player if he were under contract.

Have the leafs fans forgotten all the lowball offers they made and the reasoning they gave for those offers during the ROR hold out? you can't expect any different treatment for Franson just because he is a leaf player.

Eventually a team may come with a better offer due to injury or other situation, but for now, considering cap space and other available players not many teams are going to try and obtain a #5 defenseman who is demanding to get paid like a #3 unless he can be obtained at a discount.

A low 2nd - high 3rd should be the expectation right now until teams become more desperate or Franson's demands come down.

Old
08-10-2013, 10:38 AM
hambl

Dallas
Franson

Toronto
John Klingberg + 7th draft round pick

or

4th round draft pick

Low offer because Franson is an RFA, Dallas could use a RH OFD on the blue-line, and Franson is 6'5". Would love to see a Dillon-Franson pair on the Stars blueline for years to come!

hambl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 10:55 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambl View Post
Dallas
Franson

Toronto

or

4th round draft pick

Low offer because Franson is an RFA, Dallas could use a RH OFD on the blue-line, and Franson is 6'5". Would love to see a Dillon-Franson pair on the Stars blueline for years to come!
Player you would love to see for years to come for a 4th.. Right. You understand that the Leafs can just let Franson rot at home if all they are going to get is basically nothing in return. Does anyone here understand that? What motivation do the Leafs have to do that for nothing? Alternatively, teams could offer something tangible and make it worth the Leafs while. The Leafs will play Liles and do their best.

shakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 11:00 AM
The Saurus

Quote:
Because a player asking for too much money, who won't sign and is just sitting out holds less value than that same player if he were under contract.

Have the leafs fans forgotten all the lowball offers they made and the reasoning they gave for those offers during the ROR hold out? you can't expect any different treatment for Franson just because he is a leaf player.

Eventually a team may come with a better offer due to injury or other situation, but for now, considering cap space and other available players not many teams are going to try and obtain a #5 defenseman who is demanding to get paid like a #3 unless he can be obtained at a discount.

A low 2nd - high 3rd should be the expectation right now until teams become more desperate or Franson's demands come down.
Right. Would the Avalanche have traded ROR for a low 2nd - high 3rd?

I already know your answer so don't bother replying. And the Leafs won't trade Cody Franson for that price either. If anyone wants to pay a 1st + 3rd for Franson, by all means, go ahead and we'll take the picks: but if he signs an offer sheet for $3.3 m/yr or below, the Leafs match.

The Saurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 11:33 AM
htpwn

Quote:

Ah, so its bitter grapes. That makes sense, if even your argument doesn't.

There is no "expectation." Either he signs for Toronto, signs an offer sheet, gets traded for equivalent value, or sits. The Leafs do not need to trade him and at the same time, he can be replaced from within. The low-end price is a 2nd rounder, but at that, the Leafs may match. Likely, he's worth either a 2nd + prospect or 1st straight across.

htpwn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:07 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
Milana <3

vCash: 157
Quote:
Dallas
Franson

Toronto

or

4th round draft pick

Highly, highly doubt we could acquire him that cheap, but I'd be okay with it. We'd need to move cap space somewhere, though.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Dallas
Franson

Toronto

or

4th round draft pick

is this a joke? he will be easily matched for anything under 4.5 in an offer sheet which is worth a 1st and a 3rd, why on earth would we EVER trade him for a 4th? my god, easily the worst thing ive read all week

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:38 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
is this a joke? he will be easily matched for anything under 4.5 in an offer sheet which is worth a 1st and a 3rd, why on earth would we EVER trade him for a 4th? my god, easily the worst thing ive read all week
You have 4.8 left in capspace. if you matched him for 4.5, I guess thats it for Kadri then.

Toronto has next to no leverage in its current situation. That clarke contract was beyond foolish. Arguably the worst defensive hockey team to make the playoffs doesn't leave capspace to re-sign arguably their best and most consistent defense man.

The only joke is the atrocious job your GM is doing.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:39 PM
Vesa Awesaka
WePutTheDInOttawa

vCash: 64
Quote:
If hes easily matched for anything under 4.5 you'd have to find a slick way for a team to pick up liles or kadri would have to accept a discount. Kadri should be a 4 mil player on a long term contract. You're asking him to be a 2nd/1st line center and be a significant point producer on the team.

Vesa Awesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
You have 4.8 left in capspace. if you matched him for 4.5, I guess thats it for Kadri then.

Toronto has next to no leverage in its current situation. That clarke contract was beyond foolish. Arguably the worst defensive hockey team to make the playoffs doesn't leave capspace to re-sign arguably their best and most consistent defense man.

LOL LOL LOL. waive liles smith brennan holzer and colborne theres 3.5 m in space, wow that was hard right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
If hes easily matched for anything under 4.5 you'd have to find a slick way for a team to pick up liles or kadri would have to accept a discount. Kadri should be a 4 mil player on a long term contract. You're asking him to be a 2nd/1st line center and be a significant point producer on the team.
um no, waiving liles holzer brennan and smith totals around 3.5 m in space back, or trade liles for whatever we can get, its not as bad as it looks considering 4 players are on the cap right now that are going to be waived, liles 925k and the rest are all around 800-900 so it adds up, colborne is a possibility too

Last edited by LatvianTwist: 08-10-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Same thing said in both.
Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
DocBrown

Quote:
LOL LOL LOL. waive liles smith brennan holzer and colborne theres 3.5 m in space, wow that was hard right?

um no, waiving liles holzer brennan and smith totals around 3.5 m in space back, or trade liles for whatever we can get, its not as bad as it looks considering 4 players are on the cap right now that are going to be waived, liles 925k and the rest are all around 800-900 so it adds up, colborne is a possibility too
if its that easy what are the leafs waiting for? There's really no point in even offer sheeting kadri or franson at the moment. wait until one is signed, then force a trade for next to nothing.....toronto is up the creek at the moment. Waive 4 out of 5 players with low cap hits as a viable solution, lol. You go to the Nonis school of GMing?

brennan isnt currently counting against the cap if he's in the AHL.

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 12:59 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

Franson is our best defenceman?

I think the joke is your evaluation of talent here.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote