HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Franson's Rights

Old
08-10-2013, 04:31 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Hossa was a little different. Heatley needed out and if it weren't for that I don't think Hossa gets traded.

And Kessel:

On September 18, 2009, the Boston Bruins traded him to the Toronto Maple Leafs, in exchange for a 2010 first-round pick, a 2010 second-round pick, and a 2011 first-round pick.[10] Immediately afterward, the Leafs signed him to a five-year, $27 million contract.

Not a sign and trade.
Thats right, which is what I was implying by saying teams will communicate with each other through this process. You dont think Burke had a pretty good idea what Kessel was wanting? He wouldn't have made the trade unless he had the deal with Kessel ready to be signed immediately. I expect a similar scenario with Franson

And you cant disregard the Hossa trade. How do you know theres not a player who a team will move?

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 04:54 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
Franson already took his bridge contract.
Don't know that there was a limit on how many 'bridge deals' a player can be signed to

BudMaster17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 04:55 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Thats right, which is what I was implying by saying teams will communicate with each other through this process. You dont think Burke had a pretty good idea what Kessel was wanting? He wouldn't have made the trade unless he had the deal with Kessel ready to be signed immediately. I expect a similar scenario with Franson

And you cant disregard the Hossa trade. How do you know theres not a player who a team will move?
The Kessel deal still isn't a 'Sign and trade'. He could have asked for more money and sat out. Pure sign and trades simply don't happen.

And I think your missing what a sign and trade really implies.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Whizar
#KeepTheSenate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMaster17 View Post
Don't know that there was a limit on how many 'bridge deals' a player can be signed to
Well he cant be forced to sign a deal and i'd be pretty dissatisfied if an organization offered me a bridge deal twice. He played good on his current bridge deal and now wants what he feels his value is. I have a hard time thinking PK Subban would take another bridge deal. Your essentially taking career earnings right out of the players hands with no true guarantees or promises.

Whizar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:35 PM
varano

I am right in assuming the four options are:
1) He holds out
2) His rights are traded
3) Hes offer sheeted
4)He re-signs

varano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post

That's still not a sign and trade.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Steve Yzerman
A New Season Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
1) He holds out
2) His rights are traded
3) Hes offer sheeted
4)He re-signs
He has to choose to accept any offer sheet that a team offers. But if that is what you mean, then yes.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

vCash: 200
Quote:
I don't think you understand what a bridge deal is.

Sgt Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:50 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

"I want a long term deal"

"We'll sign you to a one year deal so you can prove you are worth a long term one"

"Okay"

"Time for a long term deal, I have proven myself"

"Prove it again."

"But..."

Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Im Old Gregggg

having a bridge contract on a shortened 48 game schedule sucks for the team, franson made the best of it but it would be nice to have another bridge contract (at a higher caphit) as its too small of a sample size to pay him at the type of production he had last year

Ive been a franson supporter since day 1 but anything north of 3.5m doesn't make sense for us longterm imo (better put to use to retain phaneuf and gardiner and will be able to replace his offense with rielly not to mention finn/percy etc working up the ranks)

Im Old Gregggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:04 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
Who told you that? What a terrible assumption.

You think Trevor Smith was signed to stay and play in the NHL? He was an AHL depth signing.
That's not the point and you're trying to save face.

Your original point is that they would create cap space by demoting these "AHL signings", but they would need to replace them with other players to have more than a bare-boned roster.

No cap space gain there.

Last edited by beauchamp: 08-10-2013 at 06:12 PM.
beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:06 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyg View Post
(1) ya, we could probably have 1 more low hit player there, brennan is on a 1 way, but capgeek is strange with those 1 way contracts that wont be in the nhl so IDK why its not there, but he certainly is on a 1 way at 600k I think, we would be able to afford it, so a 21 roster is fine, the fact that the marlies are right in toronto makes it easy. Its really not a big deal. If it gets to the point where we are literally 100% stuck... (2) we can trade liles and a ross caliber prospect for a pick and be ok as well, still not a big issue
(1) Glad that you're seeing the light.

(2) It takes two to tango.

Old
08-10-2013, 06:10 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by varano View Post
1) He holds out
2) His rights are traded
3) Hes offer sheeted
4)He re-signs
(5) He signs overseas...

Old
08-10-2013, 06:15 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Old Gregggg View Post
having a bridge contract on a shortened 48 game schedule sucks for the team, franson made the best of it but it would be nice to have another bridge contract (at a higher caphit) as its too small of a sample size to pay him at the type of production he had last year

Ive been a franson supporter since day 1 but anything north of 3.5m doesn't make sense for us longterm imo (better put to use to retain phaneuf and gardiner and will be able to replace his offense with rielly not to mention finn/percy etc working up the ranks)
having a bridge contract sucks for the player. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Toronto lost this time.

Old
08-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

On the Liles subject, He's a hard guy to place... He's on the wrong side of 30 and some players just wear down. He's only played ONE full 82 game season so durability is an issue, also whoever trades for him is committing to 3 years. Lastly he's got a modified no trade clause, so who knows what exactly the mod is.

On the other hand, his point totals are nice and a number of teams could use a veteran PMD.

I certainly don't envy the spot the Leafs are in. Lots of questions and tough decisions to make (Gardner, Kessel, Phaneuf, Bolland, Kulemin, Fraser next year).

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Quote:

why comment when you have nothing to say? produce some arguments

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 06:48 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
"It takes two to tango" is not an argument when you're talking about a possible trade?

I'll be damned...

Old
08-10-2013, 07:03 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesa Awesaka View Post
Well he cant be forced to sign a deal and i'd be pretty dissatisfied if an organization offered me a bridge deal twice. He played good on his current bridge deal and now wants what he feels his value is. I have a hard time thinking PK Subban would take another bridge deal. Your essentially taking career earnings right out of the players hands with no true guarantees or promises.
It's a business, no he can't be forced to sign, he can sit out as long as he wants. Again the Leafs want to offer him a bridge then that's well within their right, Franson wants to get paid like a top 4 dman after 1/2 a sold year playing sheltered mins... That's well within his right. We will see what happens, my money is on Franson getting a 1-2 year deal 3-3.5 mill max.

Old
08-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

Quote:
not everything needs to be a fight mikey g, even dion knows that. maybe he'll decide to fight in next years playoffs.....

Old
08-10-2013, 07:06 PM
Sgt Osiris
I know who I am!

Quote:
It's a business, no he can't be forced to sign, he can sit out as long as he wants. Again the Leafs want to offer him a bridge then that's well within their right, Franson wants to get paid like a top 4 dman after 1/2 a sold year playing sheltered mins... That's well within his right. We will see what happens, my money is on Franson getting a 1-2 year deal 3-3.5 mill max.
2 year deal would take him to UFA. you truly don't understand what a bridge contract is.

Old
08-10-2013, 07:16 PM
BudMaster17
Gap Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
2 year deal would take him to UFA. you truly don't understand what a bridge contract is.
A 1 year deal wouldn't be considered a bridge deal in this case?
All I was saying is that the leafs would more likely want to sign Franson short term then to commit to him long term after a career year. That is all.... You are stuck on if I know the meaning of a bridge deal, move on man

Old
08-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Chet Donnelly

We'll give you Tanev's rights for Franson's rights.

Chet Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 07:20 PM
Warden of the North
Global Moderator
The Matthews Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
The Kessel deal still isn't a 'Sign and trade'. He could have asked for more money and sat out. Pure sign and trades simply don't happen.

And I think your missing what a sign and trade really implies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman View Post
That's still not a sign and trade.
Im aware the Kessel deal is not a sign and trade. I was explaining how it is a situation where a team was "given permission" to discuss a deal with a player, even though they really didnt need it. The Leafs and Bruins worked co-cooperatively with Kessel to get the deal done, and everyone came out happy. I expect this is how the Franson situation will resolve itself.

NHL teams dont always have to be spiteful and confrontational with each other. They can be upfront and honest and work out a deal.

Besides that, the Hossa deal was a sign and trade. The reason doesnt matter, it happened. It can happen again.

Warden of the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Quote:
"It takes two to tango" is not an argument when you're talking about a possible trade?

I'll be damned...
isnt that an obvious implication? if you dont think liles and ross could get a 3rd/4th then you're joking..... again, just talking for the purpose of talking again.

Old
08-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
not everything needs to be a fight mikey g, even dion knows that. maybe he'll decide to fight in next years playoffs.....
??????? this is not a fight? how is it unreasonable to ask for actual arguments? I hate when people just say statements on here without any reinforcement/support, it is not logically correct for people to be mad/rebuke when other people present actual arguments, why is that dion comment necessary? If you think some1 is wrong, produce arguments against it, anything else is just noise if you are continuing the conversation.....