HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Islanders Prospect Poll #15

View Poll Results: Who is the Islanders #15 Prospect?
Kyle Burroughs (D) - 196th Overall 2013 Draft 1 1.18%
Taylor Cammarata (F) - 76th Overall 2013 Draft 3 3.53%
Victor Crus Rydberg (F) - 136th Overall 2013 Draft 3 3.53%
Kirill Kabanov (F) – 65th Overall, 2010 Draft 24 28.24%
Eamon McAdam (G) - 70th Overall, 2013 Draft 0 0%
John Persson (F) - 125th Overall, 2011 Draft 3 3.53%
Kirill Petrov (F) - 73rd Overall, 2008 Draft 4 4.71%
Kevin Poulin (G) – 126th Overall, 2008 Draft 30 35.29%
Robbie Russo (D) - 95th Overall, 2011 Draft 1 1.18%
David Ullstrom (F) - 102nd Overall, 2008 Draft 16 18.82%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2013, 10:06 PM
  #1
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
2013 Islanders Prospect Poll #15

Prospect Criteria for the purposes of this poll mimics the ‘Hockey’s Future’ Prospect Criteria: If a prospect is a skater (forward, defenseman) and has played in 65 NHL games or more before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday; or, if a goaltender has played in 45 NHL games before the completion of the season of his 24th birthday, that player will be considered graduated to the NHL. Conversely, if a player completes the season of his 24th birthday without passing those milestones, then that player will no longer be considered a prospect by Hockey’s Future, regardless of the player’s status with his NHL club.

My goal is to have these polls run for 48 hours each and to extend through the top 25 prospects as per hfboards.




Islanders Prospect List

1. Ryan Strome (F) - Played for the Niagara Ice Dogs (OHL) Selected 5th Overall, 2011 NHL Entry Draft
2. Brock Nelson (F) - Played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) Selected 30th Overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft
3. Griffin Reinhart (D) - Played for the Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL) Selected 4th Overall 2012 NHL Entry Draft
4. Ryan Pulock (D) - Played for the Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL) Selected 15th Overall 2013 NHL Entry Draft
5. Matt Donovan (D) - Played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) Selected 96th Overall 2008 NHL Entry Draft
6. Calvin de Haan (D) - Played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) Selected 12th Overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft
7. Scott Mayfield (D) - Played for Denver University (NCAA) Selected 34th Overall 2011 NHL Entry Draft
8. Anders Lee (F) - Played for the University of Notre Dame (NCAA) Selected 152nd Overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft
9. Anders Nilsson (G) - Played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) Selected 62nd Overall 2009 NHL Entry Draft
10. Ville Pokka (D) - Played for Karpat (SM-Liga) Selected 34th Overall in 2012 NHL Entry Draft
11. Johan Sundstrom (F) - Played for the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (AHL) Selected 50th Overall, 2011 NHL Entry Draft
12. Adam Pelech (D) - Played for the Erie Otters (OHL) Selected 65th Overall, 2012 NHL Entry Draft
13. Thomas Hickey (D) - Played for the Manchester Monarchs (AHL) Selected 4th Overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft
14. Andrey Pedan (D) - Played for the Guelph Strom (OHL) Selected 63rd Overall in 2011 NHL Entry Draft
15.



2011-2012 Graduates: Casey Cizikas (F), Brian Strait (D), Mikko Koskinen (G)
2010-2011 Graduates: Nino Niederreiter (F)
2010-2011 Graduates: Travis Hamonic (D), Matt Martin (F), Jesse Joensuu (F)
2009-2010 Graduates: John Tavares (F), Jack Hillen (D), Andrew MacDonald (D)
2008-2009 Graduates: Kyle Okposo (F), Josh Bailey (F), Frans Nielsen (F)
2007-2008 Graduates: Sean Bergenheim (F), Jeff Tambellini (F), Blake Comeau (F)
2006-2007 Graduates: Bruno Gervais (D)
2005-2006 Graduates: Chris Campoli (D), Robert Nilsson (F)


Added: Kyle Burroughs (9)
Also receiving vote: Aaron Ness (7), Alan Quine (5), Loic Leduc (2), Joey Diamond (2), Doyle Somerby (1), Jesse Graham (1)


List of Remaining Prospects

Jake Bischoff
Marc Cantin
Jason Clark
Joey Diamond
Jesse Graham
Mike Halmo
Mark Katic
Loic Leduc
Aaron Ness
Alan Quine
Doyle Somerby
Stephon Williams



Previous Prospect Polls

2005 Prospect Rankings - Prospects are ranked 1-19 (run by former moderator NYIsles1)
2006 Prospect Rankings - Prospects are ranked 1-20 (run by sketchykg)
2007 Prospect Rankings - Prospects are ranked 1-25 (run by Isles4ever11)
2008 Prospect Rankings - Prospects are ranked 1-25 (run by Isles4ever11)
2009 Prospect Rankings - Prospects are ranked 1-25 (run by Isles4ever11)
2010 Prospect Rankings - Prospects are ranked 1-25 (run by Isles4ever11)
2011 Prospect Rankings – Prospects are ranked 1-25 (run by Isles4ever11)
2012 Prospect Rankings – Prospects are ranked 1-15


When you vote, PLEASE ADD SOMEONE FOR THE NEXT POLL. All the Islanders prospects are listed above!

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:09 PM
  #2
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,167
vCash: 500
Ullstrom add Joey Diamond.

Renbarg is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:16 PM
  #3
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Votes and adds were low last poll. Below 90 and 30.

Not sure if anyone is clicking on the names in the poll results above to watch the videos but I really like the Andrey Pedan Video so I'm posting seperate here:


InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:52 PM
  #4
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Poulin
add Quine

MichaelK is online now  
Old
08-09-2013, 10:56 PM
  #5
Zanny
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 116
vCash: 500
KK add Quine

Zanny is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:00 PM
  #6
KyleBailey12
Registered User
 
KyleBailey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,796
vCash: 500
add Quine

KyleBailey12 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:11 PM
  #7
BTrotts19
Registered User
 
BTrotts19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 4,113
vCash: 500
Ullstrom , add Leduc

BTrotts19 is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:29 PM
  #8
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky
 
Backhand of Justice's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,243
vCash: 500
Ullstrom
Add Quine

Backhand of Justice is offline  
Old
08-09-2013, 11:38 PM
  #9
PWJunior
That's what we do.
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 19,266
vCash: 500
Poulin, add Quine

PWJunior is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 01:24 AM
  #10
rikker
fan since '75.
 
rikker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,886
vCash: 500
kabanov add quine

rikker is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 01:56 AM
  #11
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
ksquared

add Quine

RMimagery is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 02:00 AM
  #12
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
ITM, great post to close out the last poll. Said many things I was thinking...


Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo
Edit: from the previous thread :



Of course he does. And why shouldn't he? For me, the uncertainty whether a player will be an Islander in the future or not is a valid factor when deciding who to vote for. Same with Ullstrom.
Well I agree to a point but with a slight variation. I think it's important, VERY important actually, to factor in how likely a player is to reach his potential and likelihood of making the NHL but based on their game and how far away they may be and or weakness/hurdles they may have to overcome, injuries included. Them signing a contract is not something that can accurately be predicted with any form of educated guessing, thus making it pointless to try and factor it in to prospect polls. Just my opinion though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19
@ITM what do you mean by the following

Originally Posted by duster19
Hickey was also benched in the playoffs when he couldn't hack it....

Another popular myth with dismissive qualities.

Hickey didn't look any worse than anyone else in the games he played. YES he was benched, but that's because he was a rookie and the odd man out once it was decided that Carkner HAD to be entered into the line-up for physical purposes. At that point Hickey was really the only option to scratch. AMAC who is physically weaker than Hickey was their top pairing defenceman, and more experienced. Streit and Viz are the PP weapons, and Hamonic and Strait had much more size. It wasn't because 'he couldn't hack it'.

I questioned the move at the time as Hickey is a much better defenceman than Carkner, and as I said DURING the series it would be the Islanders counter-punch quick strike break out game against an over aggressive, risk taking Penguin team that did not respect the Islanders that would give them a chance to when the series. Not a slow goon, needed to boost the confidence of a young scared team.

Turns out, both were probably true, They needed Carkners presence to get the kids more confident, and as much quick strike counter play as possible. But they chose not to dress BOTH and have 7 defenceman. Looking back this may have been the strategy I tried.... Hindsight is 20/20

RMimagery is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 03:30 AM
  #13
luki here
Registered User
 
luki here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vienna
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,514
vCash: 500
ullstrom, add graham.

luki here is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 08:50 AM
  #14
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 500
David Ullstrom has scored in the AHL at a .7 PPG clip over his career. It's either criminal that he's still on here, or the Islanders have one of the best prospect pools in the history of the NHL.

Jester9881 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 09:03 AM
  #15
islesrule27
Registered User
 
islesrule27's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: newyork
Country: United States
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Ullstrom add Graham

islesrule27 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 09:26 AM
  #16
MichaelK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
David Ullstrom has scored in the AHL at a .7 PPG clip over his career. It's either criminal that he's still on here, or the Islanders have one of the best prospect pools in the history of the NHL.
Unless I added wrong the almighty Justin Papineau scored at a .842 PPG clip and look how he turned out in the NHL (and Ullstrom in his career is at .664 so nearly .2 less than Papineau). Ullstrom is not ranked higher because he does not deserve to be ranked higher. He flashes for a game or two then becomes the shoddy puck handler who doesn't play defense that we know and love

MichaelK is online now  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:01 PM
  #17
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards
 
Homeland Security's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY/FL
Country: United States
Posts: 18,595
vCash: 50
Poulin add Quine

__________________
Homeland Security is online now  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:22 PM
  #18
redbull
springtime hockey!
 
redbull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
David Ullstrom has scored in the AHL at a .7 PPG clip over his career. It's either criminal that he's still on here, or the Islanders have one of the best prospect pools in the history of the NHL.
So why is Anders Lee so high? Because of his PPG in the NHL? Or was it the NCAA stats? Where Gregoire and Rakhshani were outstanding and Nathan Gerbe was Gretzky?

I'm not a huge Ullstrom fan but to look solely at his PPG in the AHL misses the entire point. By that logic Cizikas has no business in the NHL at all.

Or he just a stop gap until Kabanov scores a career best THREE three goals in the AHL?

redbull is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 12:46 PM
  #19
Bunk Moreland
Registered User
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,852
vCash: 50
Kabby add Ness

Bunk Moreland is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 01:57 PM
  #20
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
Unless I added wrong the almighty Justin Papineau scored at a .842 PPG clip and look how he turned out in the NHL (and Ullstrom in his career is at .664 so nearly .2 less than Papineau). Ullstrom is not ranked higher because he does not deserve to be ranked higher. He flashes for a game or two then becomes the shoddy puck handler who doesn't play defense that we know and love
People just got spooked that he went overseas. He's absolutely in our top 10.

He wasn't consistent but anyone who watched him play could see potential. We need him to have a good year. We don't have other wingers like him with his size and skill.

RMimagery is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 02:40 PM
  #21
InformTheMasses
Registered User
 
InformTheMasses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
People just got spooked that he went overseas. He's absolutely in our top 10.

He wasn't consistent but anyone who watched him play could see potential. We need him to have a good year. We don't have other wingers like him with his size and skill.
Sure they do, just so happens that he is in the KHL too (Petrov). Unfortunately a KHL contract in HF world relegates you to slightly above dog excrement.

InformTheMasses is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 02:47 PM
  #22
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Sure they do, just so happens that he is in the KHL too (Petrov). Unfortunately a KHL contract in HF world relegates you to slightly above dog excrement.
True. I'll be very happy if one of them pans out.

But with the rumor (from Russia) that the Isles guaranteed Petrov a roster spot this season, much confusion looms. He has one year left with Ak Bars and is becoming a leader on the team. Apparently hardly speaks any english and the chances of him signing here seems less likely.

If he were on a path to come here, he'd probably be top 5...we'll find out his intentions as this season goes on. If the Isles continue their path of success, maybe things will change.


Last edited by RMimagery: 08-10-2013 at 02:56 PM.
RMimagery is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 03:50 PM
  #23
bomberslocks
Registered User
 
bomberslocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 169
vCash: 500
Poulin

add Bischoff

bomberslocks is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 07:10 PM
  #24
duster19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
ITM, great post to close out the last poll. Said many things I was thinking...


Quote:
Originally Posted by kuwo
Edit: from the previous thread :



Of course he does. And why shouldn't he? For me, the uncertainty whether a player will be an Islander in the future or not is a valid factor when deciding who to vote for. Same with Ullstrom.
Well I agree to a point but with a slight variation. I think it's important, VERY important actually, to factor in how likely a player is to reach his potential and likelihood of making the NHL but based on their game and how far away they may be and or weakness/hurdles they may have to overcome, injuries included. Them signing a contract is not something that can accurately be predicted with any form of educated guessing, thus making it pointless to try and factor it in to prospect polls. Just my opinion though.


Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19
@ITM what do you mean by the following

Originally Posted by duster19
Hickey was also benched in the playoffs when he couldn't hack it....

Another popular myth with dismissive qualities.

Hickey didn't look any worse than anyone else in the games he played. YES he was benched, but that's because he was a rookie and the odd man out once it was decided that Carkner HAD to be entered into the line-up for physical purposes. At that point Hickey was really the only option to scratch. AMAC who is physically weaker than Hickey was their top pairing defenceman, and more experienced. Streit and Viz are the PP weapons, and Hamonic and Strait had much more size. It wasn't because 'he couldn't hack it'.

I questioned the move at the time as Hickey is a much better defenceman than Carkner, and as I said DURING the series it would be the Islanders counter-punch quick strike break out game against an over aggressive, risk taking Penguin team that did not respect the Islanders that would give them a chance to when the series. Not a slow goon, needed to boost the confidence of a young scared team.

Turns out, both were probably true, They needed Carkners presence to get the kids more confident, and as much quick strike counter play as possible. But they chose not to dress BOTH and have 7 defenceman. Looking back this may have been the strategy I tried.... Hindsight is 20/20
Sorry, but I completely disagree. They couldn't afford to lt hickey get matched up against Crosby or Malkin. Both were to fast and to stong for a Vis and Hickey pairing. Crosby absolutely walked him in game 1. He was benched because he played poorly and was the most expendable dman. He couldn't get the job one and sat. He looked no better in the later game either...

He is a decent depth dman, but against a big, fast team like Pitts, he was exposed. You don't a bench a guy because he played well.

duster19 is offline  
Old
08-10-2013, 07:23 PM
  #25
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI
 
SCBdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Eisstadion Allmend
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 978
vCash: 500
Poulin, add Ness

SCBdude is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.