HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers protected list

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 11:33 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Flyers protected list

Philadelphia Flyers

Protected

Tony Amonte, F; Donald Brashear, F; Eric Chouinard, F; Eric Desjardins, D;
Todd Fedoruk, F; Simon Gagne, F; Michal Handzus, F; Kim Johnsson, D; Sami
Kapanen, F; Claude Lapointe, F; John LeClair, F; Keith Primeau, F; Marcus
Ragnarsson, D; Mark Recchi, F; Jeremy Roenick, F; John Slaney, D; Eric
Weinrich, D; Justin Williams, F; Robert Esche, G; Jeff Hackett, G.

Available

Boyd Kane, F; Kirby Law, F; Ian MacNeil, F; Mark Murphy, F; Mike Peluso, F;
Andre Savage, F; Mike Siklenka, F; Chris Therien, D; Pete Vandermeer, F;
Peter White, F; Neil Little, G.

Surprising to me that they left Therien exposed and yet protected LeClair. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:49 AM
Dr Love

I expect Bundy to be picked up, considering he's on the last year of his contract. Call me dumb or old fashioned or whatever you want, but my feeling is that for a guy who has spent his entire career here, letting him go via the waiver draft is pretty crappy. His salary isn't going to make or break the bank, and his play does not warrant him being gone for absolutely nothing. If they want to move him, fine, but at least get something back for him. It's better than nothing.

Old
10-01-2003, 11:54 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
I expect Bundy to be picked up, considering he's on the last year of his contract. Call me dumb or old fashioned or whatever you want, but my feeling is that for a guy who has spent his entire career here, letting him go via the waiver draft is pretty crappy. His salary isn't going to make or break the bank, and his play does not warrant him being gone for absolutely nothing. If they want to move him, fine, but at least get something back for him. It's better than nothing.

I think Clarke has tried to move him, and didn't get much in the way of response. I'm sure that Clarke has tried to get a pick for him, but not much market for a 5/6 defenseman make over $2 million.

Old
10-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Rand

Anyone care to offer any thought on Therien?
A few people on other boards have been disucssing him, so I was curious to see Philly fans opinion on another team potentially picking him up.

10-01-2003, 12:27 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I think Clarke has tried to move him, and didn't get much in the way of response. I'm sure that Clarke has tried to get a pick for him, but not much market for a 5/6 defenseman make over $2 million.
Would you rather take a 7th round pick, or nothing?

Old
10-01-2003, 12:31 PM
54fightin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
A few people on other boards have been disucssing him, so I was curious to see Philly fans opinion on another team potentially picking him up.
what surprises me most is that the Flyers could have protected him and did not. The chose to protect John Slaney instead of Therien? If he does not get pick the Flyers may have one demoralized player on their hands. I wonder if Therien never had a chance this camp. It seemed like he did not get a lot of playing time. I know there are alot of people on this board who don't like him but we could do worse for a 6th or 7th defenseman and he always paired well with Desjardins. I have to agree with a previous poster who said the Flyers could have treated him better than this.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:49 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand
Therien is nothing more than a 5/6 defenseman on just about every team in the league, and isn't capable of more than that. He's on the last year of his contract and is making about $2.5 million to my knowledge.

It appears as if the Flyers are ready to go with two rookie defenseman on defense this year, and with Pitkanen pretty much being a lock for one of those spots that leaves Woywitka, Vandermeer, and Seidenberg fighting for the last spot - providing Therien gets picked up or moved later on.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:57 PM
IronMarshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Philadelphia Flyers

Protected

Tony Amonte, F; Donald Brashear, F; Eric Chouinard, F; Eric Desjardins, D;
Todd Fedoruk, F; Simon Gagne, F; Michal Handzus, F; Kim Johnsson, D; Sami
Kapanen, F; Claude Lapointe, F; John LeClair, F; Keith Primeau, F; Marcus
Ragnarsson, D; Mark Recchi, F; Jeremy Roenick, F; John Slaney, D; Eric
Weinrich, D; Justin Williams, F; Robert Esche, G; Jeff Hackett, G.

Available

Boyd Kane, F; Kirby Law, F; Ian MacNeil, F; Mark Murphy, F; Mike Peluso, F;
Andre Savage, F; Mike Siklenka, F; Chris Therien, D; Pete Vandermeer, F;
Peter White, F; Neil Little, G.

Surprising to me that they left Therien exposed and yet protected LeClair. I would have thought it would have been the other way around.
This is weird, I read after this post that the Flyers protected all the vets, also that the final list was not due till Friday (suggesting the ability to change). What was your source (I'm not questioning your veracity, rather what I read).

Old
10-01-2003, 04:02 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMarshal
This is weird, I read after this post that the Flyers protected all the vets, also that the final list was not due till Friday (suggesting the ability to change). What was your source (I'm not questioning your veracity, rather what I read).
Yeah I read an article on Philly.com and it said that Clarke said he had protected all of the veterans, but that the list wasnt due until Friday - suggesting that there could be a change.

What is your source? i'm very curious...

BTW i'm not doubting you or being vicious, i'm just reitterating (sp?) what was said on philly.com by Tim Panaccio.

Old
10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Odd they kept Therien off the list. In a period of time before the CBA, this was a money move more than personell. With the kids coming up, and Slaney making less (and in the minors), the Flyers may be saying that a 7th round pick is just as good as dumping 2 million bucks.

Old
10-01-2003, 05:21 PM
Dekhockey55

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Odd they kept Therien off the list. In a period of time before the CBA, this was a money move more than personell. With the kids coming up, and Slaney making less (and in the minors), the Flyers may be saying that a 7th round pick is just as good as dumping 2 million bucks.

I agree with GKJ......I do believe that Clarke's feeling is that dumping 2 million in salary is better than a 7th round pick.....

Old
10-01-2003, 05:53 PM
Rex8

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
When I read through these things I try not to just say just yes/no or repeat but this is exactly my sentiment as well. Also - if more than one injury occurs to the D and Therien is gone, we will look pretty bad on D.
Washington may take him just to teach Jagr a lesson in practice.

Old
10-01-2003, 06:06 PM
blah

Just look at the 6ers deal for Robinson as to how valueable a player in the last year of his contract is worth. Apples and oranges I know, but still Therien for 1 season really isn't that bad.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:45 PM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
This has NOTHING to do with money.

The Flyers have plenty of it and never worried about it before.

This has to do with two things:

1. Pitkanen and Vandermeer are better than Therien.

2. They tried to trade Therien all summer with no takers. Taking on his 2.6 million is a bit hard to swallow when giving up a mid round pick. For free someone very well could bite.

Absolutely no monitary reasons for this. They need a spot open for the two kids, and Clarke is just hoping someone will take Therien (the odd man out) off his hands.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:10 PM
blah

I disagree. Money plays a decent sized role in hockey more-so than the other 3 major sports.

Vandermeer is at least as good as Therien. Joni better than any NHLer? Let's see him play 40 games before that statement is dropped on him.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:08 AM
Steve L*

It is to do with money, why is Slaney protected? Does anyone believe he is better than Therien?

Old
10-02-2003, 03:41 AM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
I disagree. Money plays a decent sized role in hockey more-so than the other 3 major sports.

Vandermeer is at least as good as Therien. Joni better than any NHLer? Let's see him play 40 games before that statement is dropped on him.
While I agree that money does play a large role, and may even play a role with this decision, I don't think this is about the number 2.5 million. I think this is about that number of 2.5 million not playing every night and sitting there getting paid for nothing. While the money has never been that much of an issue with the Flyers (hence why we picked up Amonte next year, despite the fact that Clarke said we couldn't afford him) it does play a role in personnel decisions. I look at it this way, it is 2.5 million dollars that Clarke can use at the trade deadline.

When it comes to your statements about Pitkanen and Vandermeer. Yes, Vandermeer is at least as good as Therien. I think Hitch thinks that as well and it probably contributes to him almost swapping the 2 in the playoffs last year before Desjardins got hurt. Joni better than any NHLer? Where exactly was that thrown around in this thread? I don't see it. I do see it said that he is a lock to make the team, and that is probably true, but I don't see anyone claim he is better than any NHLer. I will say if Hitch is willing to sit Therien and play Pitkanen instead, Hitch believes that he is definately better than 1 NHLer, Therien!

Old
10-02-2003, 03:58 AM
Cuiff

Theiren is out of here....

I'd first like to thank, well…………… God of course and then my Parents who I love very much. I'd also like to thank the Flyers organization, because without them non of this would be possible. I have a special thanks for my fiancιe who supported me through these time…………………………………….I think you all know how I feel!

Old
10-02-2003, 05:22 AM
davehfdub

vCash:
Who sits if Therien is waived? I keep reading that young defensemen need to play. Is Weinrich going to sit while three of the four young guys play? I don't care I'm just surprised and playing four veterans and rotating three young guys in and out of the lineup seems like a bad idea to me.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehfdub
Who sits if Therien is waived? I keep reading that young defensemen need to play. Is Weinrich going to sit while three of the four young guys play? I don't care I'm just surprised and playing four veterans and rotating three young guys in and out of the lineup seems like a bad idea to me.
If Therien is picked up, or even if he isn't the Flyers top 6 will be

Desjardins
Johnsson
Weinrich
Ragnarsson
Pitkanen
Vandermeer

Woywitka & Seidenberg will start with the Phantoms so they can play alot, and not be sitting out as a 7th defenseman.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:10 AM
fan mao rong

Therien

Maybe, if it is one method of logic, the supposed fact that at one time Clarke had protected Theien but then made him available would perhaps indicate that Clarke had learned of the intent of another team to select Therien in the waiver draft if he were indeed made available?

Old
10-02-2003, 06:47 AM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
Maybe, if it is one method of logic, the supposed fact that at one time Clarke had protected Theien but then made him available would perhaps indicate that Clarke had learned of the intent of another team to select Therien in the waiver draft if he were indeed made available?
I think a more likely scenario is that Hitch wants both Pitkanen and Vandy in the lineup and doesn't really have any use for Therien. I think Hitch knows he has 4 young guys, all of which are just as capable as Therien is right now. Save the money and use it at the trade deadline to get what you need then.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:33 AM
Rex8

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFlyer
I think a more likely scenario is that Hitch wants both Pitkanen and Vandy in the lineup and doesn't really have any use for Therien. I think Hitch knows he has 4 young guys, all of which are just as capable as Therien is right now. Save the money and use it at the trade deadline to get what you need then.

Man, I can just see us dealing for a vet Dman at the deadline again. Do not go too far Yuskevich.

Old
10-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
This has to do with money in the fact that they don't want a 7th D making 2.5 million. Other than that, money doesn't play a factor.

The bottom line here is that Vandermeer is better, and so is Pitkanen. Therien is an average guy, who doesn't play physical or up to his size. Vandermeer isn't ever afraid to throw his body around or even drop the gloves. We need a physicaly defensmen, Therien isn't, Vandermeer is, and he is our only one.

Pitkanen has 100X the skill Therrien has, enough said. I am also sure Hitch and Clarke saw enough of him in camp and in preseason to determine if he is ready this year.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:25 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
if Therien goes, I say it will be Ragnurson who becomes the 7th D-man. he's still expensive for a 7th defensemen but I think that Weinrich is better.

Closed Thread