HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2013, 09:25 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
What a horrible time to see a movie at the theaters. Hollywood is making total crap.
I don't know what you mean by "time" (bad month? year? decade?) but August is usually pretty bad...summer blockbuster season is done and awards season hasn't started. Things should ramp up pretty soon.

I saw Elysium on the weekend, I'm kind of surprised at the harsh reviews it's getting. I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Anybody here who saw it and didn't like it want to give their take?

Old
08-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Rome was good but pales in comparison to Spartacus.
Spartacus >>>>>>>>>>>> Rome even though I hated the new actor. I don't think any show can reach that level of epicness. Possibly GOT or BB.. but even then.
I enjoy Spartacus but it is not on the same level as Rome, Deadwood, BB, GOT The Sopranos, The Wire etc.

It is relatively low brow and with mediocre writing. It has gobs of gratuitous violence, nudity and sex which can certainly be fun to watch but is boldly transparent as it's main selling point. Rome was far more realistic with immensely superior writing and character development even though it was rushed through the final season.

Spartacus leaves me rolling my eyes at least once per episode but I am still drawn to it like a moth to the flame. The dialogue is funny at times due to it's contrived nature....almost the same way that I laugh at the announcers in soccer games with their pretentious descriptives........only much cruder in the show.

Old
08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't know what you mean by "time" (bad month? year? decade?) but August is usually pretty bad...summer blockbuster season is done and awards season hasn't started. Things should ramp up pretty soon.

I saw Elysium on the weekend, I'm kind of surprised at the harsh reviews it's getting. I thought it was pretty enjoyable. Anybody here who saw it and didn't like it want to give their take?
Haven't seen it yet but two friends who I trust saw it and said it was very original and well done. A lot of the negative press is coming from the political right wing......that should tell you all that you need to know.

Old
08-19-2013, 11:44 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

I saw the Louis Cyr movie yesterday, and it's was really good. Almost as good as the

Maurice Richard movie. I recommend it to everyone.

Old
08-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
I saw the Louis Cyr movie yesterday, and it's was really good. Almost as good as the

Maurice Richard movie. I recommend it to everyone.
Looks like an interesting movie......I recall doing my first ever book report as a youngster on a Cyr biography.

The only small issue I have is Antoine Bertrand as Cyr. Bertrand is a very good actor but he is very "slobbish" in build whereas Cyr was a very powerful looking man with broad shoulders and a barrel chest. I am sure I would get past it in the movie but it would take some work on my part to allow Bertrand to be believable in this role. I am glad that they found an actor who isn't chiseled and cut, as that would have been silly but Bertrand just looks like a very out of shape, physically weak man.

Anyways.....it does look like a good film and I definitely would love to see it.....that is of course contingent on it having English subtitles lol

Old
08-19-2013, 06:40 PM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Looks like an interesting movie......I recall doing my first ever book report as a youngster on a Cyr biography.

The only small issue I have is Antoine Bertrand as Cyr. Bertrand is a very good actor but he is very "slobbish" in build whereas Cyr was a very powerful looking man with broad shoulders and a barrel chest. I am sure I would get past it in the movie but it would take some work on my part to allow Bertrand to be believable in this role. I am glad that they found an actor who isn't chiseled and cut, as that would have been silly but Bertrand just looks like a very out of shape, physically weak man.

Anyways.....it does look like a good film and I definitely would love to see it.....that is of course contingent on it having English subtitles lol
Lol this is the reason I haven't watched the movie and never will. Antoine Bertrand isn't even close to look strong and he thinks he is. I've watched the videos of him training and I'm stronger than him and I'd say I'm half his freaking weight.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...208/story.html

Old
08-19-2013, 06:48 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
Lol this is the reason I haven't watched the movie and never will. Antoine Bertrand isn't even close to look strong and he thinks he is. I've watched the videos of him training and I'm stronger than him and I'd say I'm half his freaking weight.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/enter...208/story.html
There are some people who simply look strong and Bertrand is not one of them by any means.

Old
08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
EmelinHipCheck

vCash: 300
Started watching Eastside bound and Down yesterday, pretty entertaining, has a lot of potential

Old
08-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Elysium has great CGI, the correct accelerando pacing for a sci-fi flic, a solid cast of lesser-known actors, and Matt Damon. What it lacks is any originality. The whole class-system storyline pitting poor Earth against entitled Elysium was a caricature without a shred of depth. The folks on Earth are overworked victims; the people on Elysium have cocktail parties in mansions. Whatever. I'm a major Matt Damon fan, but I could barely muster sympathy for him, let alone his proletariat homies.

Great sci-fi is intellectual intrigue plus character empathy. I didn't experience either.

Old
08-19-2013, 10:26 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

The pool of actor is just so much smaller for french movies.

Old
08-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

So when is 'The Room' coming to Netflix?

Old
08-19-2013, 11:06 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
I enjoy Spartacus but it is not on the same level as Rome, Deadwood, BB, GOT The Sopranos, The Wire etc.

It is relatively low brow and with mediocre writing. It has gobs of gratuitous violence, nudity and sex which can certainly be fun to watch but is boldly transparent as it's main selling point. Rome was far more realistic with immensely superior writing and character development even though it was rushed through the final season.

Spartacus leaves me rolling my eyes at least once per episode but I am still drawn to it like a moth to the flame. The dialogue is funny at times due to it's contrived nature....almost the same way that I laugh at the announcers in soccer games with their pretentious descriptives........only much cruder in the show.
have you seen 'Treme" yet, EP? Same guys who did The Wire. I've heard good things but I haven't got around to it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So when is 'The Room' coming to Netflix?
I know I need to get on that one too. And 'Gymkata'!

Old
08-19-2013, 11:38 PM
Andy

Just took LG's advice to watch Moon and now I'm depressed. It's a great movie, but I hate movies like this. Just made me feel awful for the guy the whole movie and I didn't feel like there was much resolution. Now my mood will be off for week....THANKS LG!

Old
08-19-2013, 11:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Just took LG's advice to watch Moon and now I'm depressed. It's a great movie, but I hate movies like this. Just made me feel awful for the guy the whole movie and I didn't feel like there was much resolution. Now my mood will be off for week....THANKS LG!
Oh geez... sorry.

How about a healthy dose of:

Swingers?
Bubba HoTep?
Kung Fu Hustle?

That'll bring your spirits up.

Old
08-19-2013, 11:55 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:

you want depressing? watch The Road. keep away from sharp objects

Old
08-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

you want depressing? watch The Road. keep away from sharp objects
Great movie though!........I read the book first and the movie pretty much did it justice considering the challenges of portraying the mood of the book and the character depth with minimal dialogue.

Old
08-20-2013, 01:06 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Great movie though!........I read the book first and the movie pretty much did it justice considering the challenges of portraying the mood of the book and the character depth with minimal dialogue.
i also read the book first. better than the movie and if that's even possible, more depressing

Old
08-20-2013, 04:37 AM
25get

Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.
A remake seems to be in project.

Great story, great music, great cinematography.

To me, it was better than OldBoy.
Spike Lee seems to have done a remake (in October):

Old
08-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Doesn't Sam Bell get back to earth to "tell his story" at the end?

Old
08-20-2013, 06:51 AM
DAChampion

Ewan McGregor will be showing up as Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars 7, to be released in 2015.

Apparently, Disney's plan is one Star Wars movie per year every beginning in 2015. They'l have a continuous story arc going on every second year, and one-off movies during the other years.

Old
08-20-2013, 06:53 AM
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ewan McGregor will be showing up as Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars 7, to be released in 2015.

Apparently, Disney's plan is one Star Wars movie per year every beginning in 2015. They'l have a continuous story arc going on every second year, and one-off movies during the other years.
Is there a source for that?

Old
08-20-2013, 06:56 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Is there a source for that?
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ewan+mcgregor+star+wars+7

Old
08-20-2013, 07:04 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

euh? does that mean they plan on doing more than 3 movies???

Old
08-20-2013, 07:16 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
euh? does that mean they plan on doing more than 3 movies???
If they can they'll make more and more movies forever. They paid 4.05 billion to George Lucas for Lucas Arts, which gives Star Wars and Indiana Jones. The residual income from the movies that have been made, from the video game division, and from the expanded universe probably barely covers the interest rate on those 4.05 billion, if even that.

For this to be profitable, they need a minimum of a half-dozen movies, probably more. I think we'll get Episodes 7,8, and 9; and we will get "one-off" movies, as has been suggested. There was a rumour a while back that Zach Snyder wanted to adapt Seven Samurai to be a Yoda origin story, but that was shot down. However, that's the kind of one-off movie we'll see.

Old
08-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
Sympathy for Lady Vengeance.
A remake seems to be in project.

Great story, great music, great cinematography.

To me, it was better than OldBoy.
Spike Lee seems to have done a remake (in October):
I am really annoyed to see a tool like Spike Lee remaking Old Boy. Hopefully a an actually talented director gets Sympathy for Lady Vengeance because it deserves better than the Spike Lee's of the world.

Any word if Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance has been targeted for a remake? I love all 3 of the Vengeance trilogy films even though Lady Vengeance isn't technically related at all.

Closed Thread