HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)

Closed Thread

Old
08-20-2013, 11:31 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Watched pitch black for the first time the other night. Was pretty meh, IMO. Would rather go play escape from butcher bay again.

Old
08-20-2013, 11:41 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Watched pitch black for the first time the other night. Was pretty meh, IMO. Would rather go play escape from butcher bay again.

was pretty sweet when it came out 13 years ago. i'll say that it hasn't really stood the test of time so well. still good considering it was a low budget production

Old
08-20-2013, 11:59 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

I'm ashamed of myself that I came to John Carpenter's movies so late in life. I'd only seen Halloween and that bad one with Ice Cube.

But man what a resume! The Thing probably has the best makeup/special effects put to screen.

His original Assault on Precinct 13 is fantastic. Of course Escape from New York. Big Trouble in Little China is hilarious and so much fun. Starman's a good one too.

Then you got the big whopper, "They Live". I can't believe I never even heard of that one till about a year ago. Freaking Roddy Piper in a John Carpenter movie sounds too good to be true and it's even better than that. Piper should've made more movies. At first you think he's a bit wooden but it's like he did it on purpose because he just nails it in the second half.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

was pretty sweet when it came out 13 years ago. i'll say that it hasn't really stood the test of time so well. still good considering it was a low budget production
Speaking of low budget productions, 12 Angry Men is a really good one.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:25 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

one of my favorites. sidney lumet is a genius: serpico, dog day afternoon, 12 angry men, murder on the orient express just off the top of my head, and the not very well known Find Me Guilty with Vin Diesel nailing his role in this comedy.

gonna dig through my crates of dvds tonight

Old
08-21-2013, 12:26 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
I'm ashamed of myself that I came to John Carpenter's movies so late in life. I'd only seen Halloween and that bad one with Ice Cube.

But man what a resume! The Thing probably has the best makeup/special effects put to screen.

His original Assault on Precinct 13 is fantastic. Of course Escape from New York. Big Trouble in Little China is hilarious and so much fun. Starman's a good one too.

Then you got the big whopper, "They Live". I can't believe I never even heard of that one till about a year ago. Freaking Roddy Piper in a John Carpenter movie sounds too good to be true and it's even better than that. Piper should've made more movies. At first you think he's a bit wooden but it's like he did it on purpose because he just nails it in the second half.
Great thing about Carpenter's movies is the soundtrack. He's a great soundtrack guy too.

"I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all out of bubblegum."

Old
08-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Andy

Just watched The Boondock Saints. Pretty damn good.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:45 AM
deandebean

Close encounters, to me, was my youth's best movie. Still love watching it.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:20 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Great thing about Carpenter's movies is the soundtrack. He's a great soundtrack guy too.

"I have come to kick ass and chew bubblegum.

And I'm all out of bubblegum."
'PUT. THE. GLASSES. ON!'

The soundtrack to Escape From New York is really awesome. I think he did the one for Assault on Precinct 13 too which was really good.

Still want to see Dark Star which I heard is pretty sweet.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Just watched The Boondock Saints. Pretty damn good.
It's never too late... or so they say. Pretty damn good movie indeed.

Old
08-21-2013, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post

one of my favorites. sidney lumet is a genius: serpico, dog day afternoon, 12 angry men, murder on the orient express just off the top of my head, and the not very well known Find Me Guilty with Vin Diesel nailing his role in this comedy.

gonna dig through my crates of dvds tonight
Haven't watched that one but the story seems interesting. Will watch. Thanks!

Old
08-21-2013, 02:56 AM
Brainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
If you're dissing 24 we have a major problem. I absofrikkinlutely loved the first two seasons! It's a sped-up, coked-up, stress-fuelled version of reality that is relative to normal life like light-speed is relative to taking a nap. In that context, everything makes perfect sense and it makes the show a brilliantly scripted TV archetype. Oh - and Jack Bauer is the baddest dude on the planet.
Well, to me, it doesn't make sense at all. Just one example.

When the bad guys want to replace a photographer with one of their killers in order to fail yet another attempt at killing the dude running for prez. What do they do? They blow up an entire plane, in which said photographer was, and rely on a sloppy lady to parachute out with the guy's ID. HEY, if a plane crashes on the west coast, you can bet the wannabe prez will cancel evertything he had in LA for the next day. So forget about that event in which you wanted to shoot the guy. And your cover is dead, btw. So if security is sharp, you're screwed!

Wouldn't it be much simpler to drug the photographer in his hotel room, steal his ID and put on the 'do not disturb' sign?? And the best part is you could script it so that it's freaking intense.

I'm just trying to help here.

And the worst part is that by fragmenting this incoherent show in small, seemingly coherent parts, 24 becomes an obscene attempt at justifying torture and pre-emptive killing. Each time Jack Bauer kills/torture a bad guy, it seems to make a whole lot of sense when, in reality, it just doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
Absolutely agree on this one. 24 was an epic show! I don't care if it doesn't always make sense, it's just a blast to watch.
Well, sorry but I have higher standards. A show can be a blast to watch and make sense. Omerta was a great example in that regard.

Old
08-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Yeah too bad it wasn't action packed and full of gore.
Seriously that was a great movie (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind starring Jim Carey) and Jim Carey isn't known for drama but he nailed it.
Thank-you!

It was a great movie indeed...or kind of movie that can grow on you! (very original and yeah...Carrey nailed the part...not sure he will ever get another part like that, but I hope so...I still miss him in comedies). Funny enough...the first time I saw Eternal Sunshine...I didn't fall in love with it (felt it was original but too strange/weird, but...the second time I was really moved).

Many people (not everyone!) need to see throats slashed off, heads chopped or blown off (in slow motion) to stylish ''cool'' music to enjoy a movie! Blood and gore, blood and gore, and then more blood and gore. Need more movies like Eternal Sunshine, imo.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 08-21-2013 at 04:41 AM.
Old
08-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Mr. Hab

Depressing/anti-feel good movies! (but classic or mini-classics):

Deer Hunter (DeNiro, Meryl Streep, Walken... btw Streep was really pretty in this film.... classic film but don't watch it if you're depressed! being very serious!).

Midnight Express (drug smuggling/prison story ; classic film, but again...don't watch this if you're depressed! seriously).

The above are not my kind of movies (too grim, too sad, too depressing) but can't deny that they are classics (great acting in Deer Hunter).

----------------------------- ------------------------------------------

Feel good movies:
<Swingers (starring Vince ''you're money'' Vaughn! classic low-budget comedy...Vince Vaughn is perfect in it!).
<Wedding Crashers (Vince Vaughn and a cameo with Will Ferrell...feel good comedy...silly good fun!)

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 08-21-2013 at 04:49 AM.
Old
08-21-2013, 04:12 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Close encounters of the Third Kind starring Richard Dreyfuss...classic. Didn't see it since a long while but classic.
(classic Spielberg extra-terrestrial sci-fi movie).

I wonder if it still looks good today...I'm sure it does!

Old
08-21-2013, 04:40 AM
Mr. Hab

Anyone here a Jim Jarmusch fan?
<Stranger than Paradise
<Down By Law
<Night on Earth (with Winona Ryder and Gena Rowlands)
<Dead Man (with Johnny Depp...music/sounds by Neil Young)

---------------------------- --------------------------------

Any Mikey Rourke fans out there?!:
<Barfly (plays Bukowski...classic film...****ing amazing!).
<Rumble Fish (Rourke, Dillon, super cute Diane Lane, Nicholas Cage,etc)
<The Pope of Greenwich Village (Rourke and Eric Roberts...brother of Julia!)
<9 1/2 (with beautiful/sexy Kim Basinger...underrated or overrated erotic drama about a dysfunctional relationship).

Old
08-21-2013, 04:54 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Ewan McGregor will be showing up as Obi Wan Kenobi in Star Wars 7, to be released in 2015.

Apparently, Disney's plan is one Star Wars movie per year every beginning in 2015. They'l have a continuous story arc going on every second year, and one-off movies during the other years.
Not to be a killjoy!, but the magic doesn't seem to be there anymore without...Harrison Ford!!
(he's so good in everything! Star Wars, Empire strikes Back, Return of the Jedi...even though he's frozen for most of the movie!, and...Indiana Jones!! Tom Selleck was supposed to get the role...glad it was Ford! Harrison delivers everytime! he was also good in Witness).

p.s.: still excited with the hype of a new Star Wars movie...2015 is also when our Habs should be really good, no?!

Old
08-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
It's good... But when you're forced to see it 494939439439439 times in CEGEP, it's bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Not to be a killjoy!, but the magic doesn't seem to be there anymore without...Harrison Ford!!
(he's so good in everything! Star Wars, Empire strikes Back, Return of the Jedi...even though he's frozen for most of the movie!, and...Indiana Jones!! Tom Selleck was supposed to get the role...glad it was Ford! Harrison delivers everytime! he was also good in Witness).

p.s.: still excited with the hype of a new Star Wars movie...2015 is also when our Habs should be really good, no?!
Can you stop, doing that? PLEASE

Old
08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Well, to me, it doesn't make sense at all. Just one example.

When the bad guys want to replace a photographer with one of their killers in order to fail yet another attempt at killing the dude running for prez. What do they do? They blow up an entire plane, in which said photographer was, and rely on a sloppy lady to parachute out with the guy's ID. HEY, if a plane crashes on the west coast, you can bet the wannabe prez will cancel evertything he had in LA for the next day. So forget about that event in which you wanted to shoot the guy. And your cover is dead, btw. So if security is sharp, you're screwed!

Wouldn't it be much simpler to drug the photographer in his hotel room, steal his ID and put on the 'do not disturb' sign?? And the best part is you could script it so that it's freaking intense.

I'm just trying to help here.

And the worst part is that by fragmenting this incoherent show in small, seemingly coherent parts, 24 becomes an obscene attempt at justifying torture and pre-emptive killing. Each time Jack Bauer kills/torture a bad guy, it seems to make a whole lot of sense when, in reality, it just doesn't.
And once Rick Blaine shot the Nazi, why didn't he get on the plane with Ilsa and Victor? Nobody was there to stop him. Doesn't really make sense if you think about it. Yet despite that contradiction, Casablanca remains one of the greatest movies of all time.

You can deconstruct almost anything to the point where it crumbles under the scrutiny, but the bottom line is whether it works within the narrative, or doesn't. 24 bent logic to the breaking point, but it did it in the service of tight pacing and pitch-perfect suspense.

As to the philosophical argument about the show's positive spin on torture, I agree with you in principle but not in specifics. Again, in the context of finding out where the ticking bomb is, when the assassination if going down or where the hostage is being kept, the ends do occasionally justify the means. 24 is all about things happening now NOW NOW, and IMO on that level it was awesome.

Now if we're talking terrorism as the TV theme, nothing but nothing beats Homeland. That might be the best show I've ever seen. Like ever...

Old
08-21-2013, 09:00 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
And once Rick Blaine shot the Nazi, why didn't he get on the plane with Ilsa and Victor? Nobody was there to stop him. Doesn't really make sense if you think about it. Yet despite that contradiction, Casablanca remains one of the greatest movies of all time.
'cause he's bogart. he don't give a ****

Old
08-21-2013, 10:39 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Super 8 reminded me of this film.

Old
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
danyhabsfan

I really like Start trek and Man of Steel. (9/10)

I went to see Elysium yesterday and it was good. (7.5/10)

Old
08-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Star Trek at its best was fanboy excitement with some serious cerebral balls. Put philosophy grads, politicians, science geeks and vikings together in a room and you have the basic tone of its best episodes.

Yes, I also loved both movies, but I'm still waiting for the cerebral elements to turn up. The film reboots have been very good fun, but I want to see those characters tackle something more complex than an angry bad guy.
I gave 24 the same treatment as Lost, it didn't grab me enough to overcome the failings that bothered me and I bailed. I recognize the formula was popular I just didn't like the constant state of intensity (which I label "over dramatization") .

Jack Bauer could be at a Starbucks and we would be led to believe that the fate of the world rested on him getting a perfect double-double in 10 seconds. Too many "fate of the world rests on..." scenarios for my liking in that show made it unbelievable for me.

Old
08-21-2013, 12:25 PM
poetryinmotion

Hope this is not off topic but here are some shows I like (in no order):

Dexter... show went kind of downhill but still entertaining
Breaking Bad... the mood and intensity of most the scenes is surreal
Sons of Anarchy... an acquired taste, nice drama about a MC if you are in to that stuff
American Horror Story... possibly the best up and comer show, different each season
Game of Thrones... need I say more?
Homeland... the new 24, Claire Danes is amazing
Suits... greedy lawyers at their best
Orange is the New Black... from the creator of Weeds
The Walking Dead... I had read the comic before this came out and it doesn't disappoint (much) I highly recommend the comic though as it depicts the tension of 'suriving' a zombie apocalypse much much better than the show ever did and you get to know what REALLY happens with The Governor arc that the show couldn't possibly reporoduce (not for the feint of heart)
Arrow... FINALLY a great superhero series, based on The Green Arrow, with Manu Bennet (Crixus) one of my favorite actors in a supporting role
The Americans... If you love 24 and Homeland this show is just as good
Rescue Me... Possibly the best show I have ever seen... yeah, take that BB and GOT... Denis Leary just confirmed himself as a legend with this show for me
Oz... this isn't a show for *******, very gritty prison stuff
Californication... Duchovny still got it
Falling Skies... I do not watch many sci-fi stuff but this one's not bad if you can survive the first season
Person of Interest... started watching out of boredom but it grows on you
Southland... it's like Cops but not in a reality TV setting, super gritty and the character development is amazing
Rectify... this miniseries passed under the radar and I don't think many heard of it, very compelling stuff

And that's just for the one hour shows

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 08-21-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old
08-21-2013, 02:00 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
And that's just for the one hour shows
How do you find enough hours in the day?

Closed Thread