HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I don't remember a single movie where I could say that I liked Affleck. I just can't see him in this role, it doesn't make sense in my head...
but Affleck was da bomb in phantoms yo..

god i love that scene

Old
08-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
but Affleck was da bomb in phantoms yo..

god i love that scene
Fixed your link.

He was good in Good Will Hunting if I remember correctly. Maybe I liked him in this one.

Old
08-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Year 101

I don't know why all the hate on Affleck, he's really turned into an incredible Actor/Director. The Town, Argo, Gone Baby Gone. I think he'll make a good Bruce Wayne, especially because I predict they'll make him more of his OG style of being more of a detective then a jump in an alley and find 5 guys.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:00 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Gawd...... I HATE Woody Allen.....he is a reprehensible human being. I refuse to watch or support anything this predator produces.

Not judging anyone who is a fan of his, just have strong opinions about individuals such as himself.
yeah but it's been 20 years now and they're still together. If you see their dynamic in the Woody doc 'Wild Man Blues' it's pretty hard to think of Woody as creepy in his relationship with her.

Old
08-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Booo to Affleck as Batman.

Old
08-24-2013, 12:49 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Booo to Affleck as Batman.
Who would your preference be if Bale refuses to do it again?

Old
08-24-2013, 01:03 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
idris elba

Old
08-24-2013, 01:27 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
idris elba
been racking my brain for a good replacement and this is the one. Good call. Really good call.

Old
08-24-2013, 01:31 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
idris elba
Bruce Wayne is supposed to look like Clark Kent, like this:

or like this:

Elba would make a better John Stewart:

This is somebody's made up movie poster:

Old
08-24-2013, 05:19 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

i don't care what he's supposed to look like, i want stringer bell in a batman suit. get with the times dude

Old
08-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Connor McJesus
Praise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Only Affleck movie I like is The Town, and I absolutely hate him for ****ing up Argo.
The Town was a movie with good heist scenes and way too much romance ********.

Old
08-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Pacino could play an old beat down Batman, bring a little Scarface into the character........He will be known as Batmang and will drive the Bat Ma-cheen

Old
08-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Year 101 View Post
I don't know why all the hate on Affleck, he's really turned into an incredible Actor/Director. The Town, Argo, Gone Baby Gone. I think he'll make a good Bruce Wayne, especially because I predict they'll make him more of his OG style of being more of a detective then a jump in an alley and find 5 guys.
Agreed. Affleck's shed that pretty-boy, tabloid image years ago and has earned his industry cred. Argo and GBG were both terrific. Time for folks to jettison the old stereotypes and let the guy grow up.

Old
08-24-2013, 06:27 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
yeah but it's been 20 years now and they're still together. If you see their dynamic in the Woody doc 'Wild Man Blues' it's pretty hard to think of Woody as creepy in his relationship with her.
It's ironic, isn't it? The Woody/Soon-Yi relationship was considered creepy, and now over 20 years later it's become one of the most solid relationships in Hollywood.

Old
08-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Agreed. Affleck's shed that pretty-boy, tabloid image years ago and has earned his industry cred. Argo and GBG were both terrific. Time for folks to jettison the old stereotypes and let the guy grow up.
The guy grew up and totally mangled a piece of Canadian history. Movie wasn't even good, and I know it wasn't a documentary, but FFS he should have get SOME of it right.

I am glad he was snubbed at the Oscars but that film was not even fit to stand nominated with Life of Pi, Django Unchained, and Lincoln. Politics wins again.

Old
08-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Somebody else.

I just don't think much of him as an actor. The Boiler Room was an esp. bad performance.

Not saying he can't pull it off but I'd prefer somebody else.

Old
08-24-2013, 02:57 PM
Andy

I just don't think Affleck's acting style is very Batman-like, if that makes sense. Also when you pick a guy like Affleck its hard getting away from the notion "it's just Affleck playing Batman" (actually this is what I thought the whole time I watched Daredevil, which isn't the greatest for other reasons, but it drew away from the movie), then actually getting lost in the universe on screen and believing the character. Bale had that effect. Affleck's voice, facial expressions, smile are just not very Batman like imo.

Karl Urban or Josh Brolin would have been fantastic. Watching Dredd, all I can think was that Karl Urban is Batman. Brolin's got the jaw, voice, mannerism and darkness to be an older Batman. Look at his character in Gangster squad.

I can't help but feel that Affleck was chosen to build up hype and intrigue in the movie. Superman/Batman together already will get people's attention for sure, but saying Ben Affleck is batman will reach a wider audience in terms of curiosity much more than Brolin or Urban for example.

Affleck has extremely high expectations to meet, I hope he's ready for it.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The guy grew up and totally mangled a piece of Canadian history. Movie wasn't even good, and I know it wasn't a documentary, but FFS he should have get SOME of it right.

I am glad he was snubbed at the Oscars but that film was not even fit to stand nominated with Life of Pi, Django Unchained, and Lincoln. Politics wins again.
I think you're being too literal. First of all, the hostage crisis wasn't exclusive Canadian history. The film was about the American hostages, the American-conceived idea of 'Argo', the Americans who implemented the rescue. Canadians have had 30 years to make their own version of the story; this was told from the US side. Yeah, some details were tweaked/exaggerated, but so what? Argo is no more or less accurate a depiction of history than any other historical film. Most important, judged purely as a piece of entertainment I thought it worked really well.

That said, my favourite film of the year was Life of Pi. Gorgeous, surprisingly strong screenplay and great story. Loved it.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
i don't care what he's supposed to look like, i want stringer bell in a batman suit. get with the times dude
Stringer Bell is dead yo...You need to face reality.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:54 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I think you're being too literal. First of all, the hostage crisis wasn't exclusive Canadian history. The film was about the American hostages, the American-conceived idea of 'Argo', the Americans who implemented the rescue. Canadians have had 30 years to make their own version of the story; this was told from the US side. Yeah, some details were tweaked/exaggerated, but so what? Argo is no more or less accurate a depiction of history than any other historical film. Most important, judged purely as a piece of entertainment I thought it worked really well.

That said, my favourite film of the year was Life of Pi. Gorgeous, surprisingly strong screenplay and great story. Loved it.
A good example of who controls the movie industry controls information controls history. Did you see the 5th Estate documentary and the Ken Taylor interviews? Just wondering because it wasn't tweaked/exaggerated most of the movie is total fiction by his account.

your response is welcomed though, and appreciated, Canadians have had their opportunities and well let's face it if you tell the story where an American isn't the hero amongst idiots your movie rarely rewards you financially or gets venture dollars to be made in the first place.

I agree with you Life of Pi was brilliant. My pick for best film. Django was entertaining, Lincoln had a great individual acting performance (Daniel Day Lewis), same with Silver Playbook Lining. Argo angered me as a Canadian.

Old
08-24-2013, 03:57 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:

Why do you always make so much sense

I've put off watching Life of Pi until I buy the 3d glasses for my Panasonic 60'' which will be sometime this Christmas, but that looks like a great movie.

Old
08-24-2013, 05:19 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Stringer Bell is dead yo...You need to face reality.

yo

Old
08-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

As I go on about American history distortions in movies and I flipped through my movie collection I took to noticing that the 2 films I have watched the most (at least 4 times for each movie) is JFK and Apollo 13.

Wife is out tonight might just throw a little Oliver Stone night together starting with JFK.

Old
08-24-2013, 08:04 PM
DAChampion

Was Oliver Stone's Alexander as bad as people say?

Old
08-24-2013, 08:09 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:

yo
I just miss wallace...

Closed Thread