HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Pokémon Thread #2

Closed Thread

Old
08-11-2013, 12:24 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

vCash: 500
Pokémon Thread #2

Carry on

and to this last post of the other thread (other than mine to close it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post
I would take the chronological route.

First one of the original Gold/Silver/Crystal
Then one of Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald
Then one of Diamond/Pearl/Platinum
Then one of Black/White
Then one of Black 2 / White 2
Then one of X/Y

You won't be overwhelmed by the sheer amount of changes each game and the story will always be a different one. The difference between RBY and B2W2 may be huge, but if you take it on step-by-step, the difference won't be huge.

Too much of a culture shock, I think. Don't forget: He doesn't know about double battles, the physical/special split, the fact, that your mons can hold items now, that spcl. atk and spcl. defense are two different values, etc.
I don't think it's that bad of a step if you do a little supplemental reading. I never played Gens II or III the first time around. I played RBY when it came out and then didn't play another game until I got a copy of Pearl. Especially considering most people who played RBY probably weren't concerned with all the background mathematics and metagame-shaping stuff, you can pick up the Gen II remake and grow through that game before moving on to DPP. I also don't think that Gen III is strictly necessary. I know a lot of people liked that generation the best, but I thought there was too much grinding for each gym, particularly the step between your last badge/victory road and the elite 4. Far more than the other games.

It's easy enough to learn the mechanics of things like double battles and figure out stat changes like sp atk/def split or the diversifying of moves beyond a one-kind(atk/sp.atk)-per-type setup from the first couple generations.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 8 GP, 1-5-2 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
Old
08-11-2013, 05:55 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

vCash: 973
MegaEvolutions and Fairy type be damned man...I haven't been this excited for a version game since Crystal. Not even for HeartGold which ended up being one of my favorite games ever.

Definitely downloading it on day one for that free Torchic. Will probably pick Chespin as my starter. And from there I've got my eye on Pangoro, Honedge, Talonflame (though Torchic might make another fire type redundant), Noivern, and Yveltal.

I seriously don't hate this gen as much as much as I hated gen 5 right off the bat. There's still a lot of them that I really dislike but there were some really cool ones (Snivy and it's evo line, Blitzle, Gigalith, Zorua/Zororark, Reuniclus, Escavalier, Haxorus, Druddigon, Bisharp, Braviary, Hydreigon, Kyurem)

To me, all the legendaries other than Kyurem were massive disappointments.

Old
08-11-2013, 07:56 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
MegaEvolutions and Fairy type be damned man...I haven't been this excited for a version game since Crystal. Not even for HeartGold which ended up being one of my favorite games ever.

Definitely downloading it on day one for that free Torchic. Will probably pick Chespin as my starter. And from there I've got my eye on Pangoro, Honedge, Talonflame (though Torchic might make another fire type redundant), Noivern, and Yveltal.

I seriously don't hate this gen as much as much as I hated gen 5 right off the bat. There's still a lot of them that I really dislike but there were some really cool ones (Snivy and it's evo line, Blitzle, Gigalith, Zorua/Zororark, Reuniclus, Escavalier, Haxorus, Druddigon, Bisharp, Braviary, Hydreigon, Kyurem)

To me, all the legendaries other than Kyurem were massive disappointments.

MegaEvoltions pretty much ruined it all for me

Old
08-11-2013, 08:01 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

What's this about a free Torchic? Is there something special about it? And is it only for downloading the game?

Old
08-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
What's this about a free Torchic? Is there something special about it? And is it only for downloading the game?
Starting release day, you can download a Torchic (wifi, not gamestop).
It holds blaziken's mega stone and I believe a unique ability

08-11-2013, 09:21 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

It's the first Dream World Starter to have ever been made available on WiFi and outside of Japan. Also, Speed Boost Blaziken is broken.

Old
08-11-2013, 11:33 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

vCash: 50
I will definitely be getting that Torchic. But I also wanted to choose Fennekin... hmm, maybe I'll take Chespin instead. But then I also want a Gogoat. OMG WHAT DO I DO

This game is gonna be awesome.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:11 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
I will definitely be getting that Torchic. But I also wanted to choose Fennekin... hmm, maybe I'll take Chespin instead. But then I also want a Gogoat. OMG WHAT DO I DO

This game is gonna be awesome.
Froakie
Gogoat
Torchic

Dat simple yet still effective.

Old
08-12-2013, 04:24 AM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNeutrality View Post

MegaEvoltions pretty much ruined it all for me
In fairness we don't know everything about this mechanic yet. And the concept to me is interesting enough so I'm not upset. Was never a big metagame player anyway.

Old
08-12-2013, 12:12 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Froakie
Gogoat
Torchic

Dat simple yet still effective.
I really don't like how Froakie looks lol.

Old
08-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

I haven't been entirely up to date with what's going on, but what the heck is a MegaEvolution?

Last edited by Vankiller Whale: 08-12-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old
08-12-2013, 01:58 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I haven't been entirely up to date with what's going on, but what the heck is a MegEvolution?
If you level up a Jynx, it'll evolve into Meg from Family Guy.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Got in a nostalgic mood and started playing Crystal. Odd egg hatched into a shiny Pichu which is now to this point a shiny Raichu.

Will probably finish Black after I complete Crystal.

Quote:
I really don't like how Froakie looks lol.
Me neither. Could've been a regular pokemon and I'd never have aims of making it a starter.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
If you level up a Jynx, it'll evolve into Meg from Family Guy.

Or Nikki Minaj

Seriously with blonde hair she looks just like Jynx.

Old
08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
DuckJet
Mr. Sexy on Skates

Old
08-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Eytinge

How come Magmar and Electabuzz got third evolutions, but Jinx didn't? I always thought those three were kinda of a trio.

Old
08-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Look familiar?

Old
08-12-2013, 03:04 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
I haven't been entirely up to date with what's going on, but what the heck is a MegaEvolution?
Certain pokemon will be able to hold an item called a Mega Stone (with different ones unique to each species that can Mega Evolve) that when they faint in battle will revive them in a temporary super-form that grants new abilities/increased stats and maybe even different typing:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mega_Evolution

For example Ampharos becomes Dragon/Electric when it Mega Evolves. Kangaskhan gains an ability that causes its Joey to hop out and mimic the mother's attack.

Mega Evolutions only last for the battle they occur in. They're not permanent changes like regular evolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
How come Magmar and Electabuzz got third evolutions, but Jinx didn't? I always thought those three were kinda of a trio.

Ehhh, Jynx was always different because it was dual type. If it had been straight Ice it would've fit better in a trio with the other two, but being Ice/Psychic made it a little bit different.

Old
08-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Vankiller Whale
And so it begins

Quote:
Certain pokemon will be able to hold an item called a Mega Stone (with different ones unique to each species that can Mega Evolve) that when they faint in battle will revive them in a temporary super-form that grants new abilities/increased stats and maybe even different typing:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mega_Evolution

For example Ampharos becomes Dragon/Electric when it Mega Evolves. Kangaskhan gains an ability that causes its Joey to hop out and mimic the mother's attack.

Mega Evolutions only last for the battle they occur in. They're not permanent changes like regular evolution.
Thanks. I don't really like the sound of it though. Seems like it could be mighty overpowered. Hopefully it will be possible to just ignore it when playing through the game.

Old
08-12-2013, 03:29 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:

Look familiar?
Pikachu really let himself go.

Old
08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Carry on

and to this last post of the other thread (other than mine to close it.)

I don't think it's that bad of a step if you do a little supplemental reading. I never played Gens II or III the first time around. I played RBY when it came out and then didn't play another game until I got a copy of Pearl. Especially considering most people who played RBY probably weren't concerned with all the background mathematics and metagame-shaping stuff, you can pick up the Gen II remake and grow through that game before moving on to DPP. I also don't think that Gen III is strictly necessary. I know a lot of people liked that generation the best, but I thought there was too much grinding for each gym, particularly the step between your last badge/victory road and the elite 4. Far more than the other games.

It's easy enough to learn the mechanics of things like double battles and figure out stat changes like sp atk/def split or the diversifying of moves beyond a one-kind(atk/sp.atk)-per-type setup from the first couple generations.

It's not so much the aesthetic aspects of the games (ie, Map/World, Battle type, even the pokemon) that throw me in a loop when thinking about getting back into things. It's all the items, berries, etc that confuse me. Is it possible to just avoid that aspect of the game and pick it up after I realize what it's like to finish the game without them? I take the train to and from work everyday so I'm thinking about picking up Crystal to kill some time. Who knows maybe I'll get hooked again.

Old
08-12-2013, 04:36 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
It's not so much the aesthetic aspects of the games (ie, Map/World, Battle type, even the pokemon) that throw me in a loop when thinking about getting back into things. It's all the items, berries, etc that confuse me. Is it possible to just avoid that aspect of the game and pick it up after I realize what it's like to finish the game without them? I take the train to and from work everyday so I'm thinking about picking up Crystal to kill some time. Who knows maybe I'll get hooked again.
yeah. The game also tends to give you the opportunity to have those things explained to you each time as well. If you were to pick up HeartGold or SoulSilver it can ease you into those things at your own pace.

And even if it threw things at you, it's not nearly as daunting as it might seem. The big stuff that will throw people for a loop are the more advanced mechanics like EVs/IVs, EV training, chain or moveset breeding, all the teambuilding/combat aspects of the metagame, etc. And those are pretty much completely unnecessary to enjoy the single player game or even casual multiplayer.

Plus starting with those games let you get a head start on the more intuitive changes since Gens 1/2 like how Special Attack/Special Defence are separate stats like Attack/Defence are, or how moves are individually classed as based on attack or special attack rather than having that be based on the type of attack (ie all fighting moves are based on attack, all fire moves are special attack). These also aren't a big deal since, like I said, they're fairly intuitive.

Plus you can legitimately play those on a DS without having to scrounge up an old GBA/GBC and Crystal cart or deal with emulators (which, friendly reminder to all, cannot be discussed here because of the legality of ROMs.)

And if you do get a Gen IV game (HG/SS or Diamond/Pearl/Platinum) I may be able to trade you some fun mons to help bolster your team without relying on the same early-game trash mons that you usually see. This depends on getting my wifi stick to work again, since my router security isn't compatible with the Gen IV wifi setup.

Old
08-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
yeah. The game also tends to give you the opportunity to have those things explained to you each time as well. If you were to pick up HeartGold or SoulSilver it can ease you into those things at your own pace.

And even if it threw things at you, it's not nearly as daunting as it might seem. The big stuff that will throw people for a loop are the more advanced mechanics like EVs/IVs, EV training, chain or moveset breeding, all the teambuilding/combat aspects of the metagame, etc. And those are pretty much completely unnecessary to enjoy the single player game or even casual multiplayer.

Plus starting with those games let you get a head start on the more intuitive changes since Gens 1/2 like how Special Attack/Special Defence are separate stats like Attack/Defence are, or how moves are individually classed as based on attack or special attack rather than having that be based on the type of attack (ie all fighting moves are based on attack, all fire moves are special attack). These also aren't a big deal since, like I said, they're fairly intuitive.

Plus you can legitimately play those on a DS without having to scrounge up an old GBA/GBC and Crystal cart or deal with emulators (which, friendly reminder to all, cannot be discussed here because of the legality of ROMs.)

And if you do get a Gen IV game (HG/SS or Diamond/Pearl/Platinum) I may be able to trade you some fun mons to help bolster your team without relying on the same early-game trash mons that you usually see. This depends on getting my wifi stick to work again, since my router security isn't compatible with the Gen IV wifi setup.
Appreciate the info Nem. Well thought out and detailed. I've had a DS for years so going to the store and picking a game up would be fairly easy to do. I'm looking for a smoother transition though and I think the difference in pokemon types from Yellow to HG/SS/Plat would be too much of a shock. Any thoughts between Crystal and Emerald in terms of which would be the best to start off with?

Old
08-12-2013, 05:35 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Appreciate the info Nem. Well thought out and detailed. I've had a DS for years so going to the store and picking a game up would be fairly easy to do. I'm looking for a smoother transition though and I think the difference in pokemon types from Yellow to HG/SS/Plat would be too much of a shock. Any thoughts between Crystal and Emerald in terms of which would be the best to start off with?
HG/SS is just gold and silver from the Game Boy/Game Boy Color days (the games right after Red/Blue/Yellow) remade for the DS with a few newer tweaks. You won't see a whole lot of new pokemon until the post-elite-4 period where things open up. It's the perfect point to jump back in with because you get the old school game from right after where you started with some of the newer mechanics to make it quicker to get you acclimated to where the series is now. It's a nice balance of old and new. And it's just a damn good game.

and again, I'm not sure about starting with Crystal. It's a GBC game, so you'd need an old school original Game Boy Advance or an original Game Boy color to make it work. Plus there's the matter of finding a cart. And if you're starting there, you might as well go with HG/SS since it's basically the same game. Emerald would need at least an original fat DS or DS Lite since it's a GBA game. But I actually don't have a huge nostalgia trip for the RSE era games. There was too much grinding for my tastes.

Old
08-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Everlong
-

Awesome thanks for the tips. Gonna pick up a copy of HG and see how it goes.

Quote:
You won't see a whole lot of new pokemon until the post-elite-4 period where things open up.
Are you referring to HG/SS where there's actually gameplay past the elite4? Or does that take part in another game. Sounds cool. Sorry for the lack of knowledge post-Yellow.

Closed Thread