HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Hidden gems - Who are the best of the bunch from round 3 on?

Old
06-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Caged Great

vCash: 500
Hidden gems - Who are the best of the bunch from round 3 on?

There are always guys that fly under the radar like Palat, Nyquist and Gaudreau, who are this year's versions of completely unheralded guys that might become the next big thing?

Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 08:57 AM
Ovechkin962

Dominic Turgeon, Ryan Hitchcock, Chase Phelps, Jaden Lindo

Ovechkin962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:17 AM
ottawah

Eric Cornel looks to slip to the third round, I think its a solid pickup.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:18 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Danny Moynihan

DOB: 12/8/95
Height: 6’0
Weight: 180 lbs.
Team: Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL)
Position: Center/Left Wing
Shoots: Left

Quote:
Mooseheads head coach Dominique Ducharme has welcomed the boys with open arms. “(Danny) has a lot of speed, and brings good offence with that speed,” he said. “He has a complete game. (Connor) is big and physical and he’s got great potential.”
Quote:
Dedicated Boston Bruins fans growing up, Connor says he fashions his physical style of play to power forward Milan Lucic because he “likes to hit, scores and makes good plays”, while Daniel, who plays centre, emulates that of Patrice Bergeron.

And after nearly two weeks of training camp, they are beginning to see subtle improvements in their overall game.

“Just playing with better players alone, you start to realize what plays to make, where to put the puck, where to be when you don’t have the puck, coaches are also telling us what to do,” Daniel said. “And we’ve learnt a lot so far.”

06-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Kasimir Kaskisuo - 20yo goalie from Finland who spent years with Jokerit's different teams. Played the 13/14 season for the Minnesota Wilderness (NAHL) and is committed to University of Minnesota-Duluth for 14/15.

Has great size (6'3/195lbs) and posted amazing numbers in the NAHL, especially for his first year on NA ice. Finished with a record of 21-6-5 with 9 shutouts, a GAA of 1.48 (1st in the league) and a SV% of 0.944 (1st in the league).

Idolizes Kari Lehtonen (Finland/Jokerit connection), but relates to Carey Price on the ice as they both play a calm style in the net.

I could see a team taking him with a 7th rounder, but it probably won't happen because of his age and all that.

Kurdt Kobain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:53 AM
bsmith14

Brandon Hickey

Jayce Hawryluk

Justin Kirkland

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Lots of threads on this already if you poke around.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:54 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Brandon Hickey

Jayce Hawryluk

Justin Kirkland
Hawryluk 3rd round or later? Won't happen.

I think he goes top 45 or 50.

Old
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt Kobain View Post
Danny Moynihan

I can't see him being anything more than a bottom 6 AHLer to be honest. Caught a lot of his games and he just didn't stand out.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

Ondrej Kase, although I think some have him going in the second round.

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:32 AM
ConorFC

Alex Lintuniemi

ConorFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:33 AM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

North American Skaters

Julien Nantel
*Vladimir Tkachev (might slide into the 4th round due to size)
*Miles Gendron
Dysin Mayo
Maxim Letunov
Alexis Pepin (total coin toss , either he wants to play or doesn't put effort)
*Edgars Kulda
*Scott Savage
Radel Fazleev
Alexis Vanier
Darby Llewellyn
Gavin Bayreuther
*Jonathan McLeod

North American Goaltenders

Joel Daccord
*Zach Nagelvoort

* Very good chance , imo

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:34 AM
bsmith14

Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post

I know he had a great playoffs. Do you feel like his style of game will translate to the NHL?

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:48 AM
nki

couple of candidates, a couple are decently thought of but nevertheless:

Vladimir Tkachyov - extremely small, great skill level, great head for the game, if you want a "Gaudreau pick", this is the closest guy in the draft (not saying he will be Gaudreau just stylistically)

Nick Magyar - size, speed, skill level all check-out as average or better. good "pro" toolset - capable of cycling, protecting the puck or taking it to the net.

Blake Siebenaler - beautiful skater, late switch from forward to defense, raw but good head for the game, great skating ability, skill-level and vision are both there, all you want in puck moving D

Louis Belpedio - puck moving type, great decision-making and great poise, seems to find a solution for every situation and a very calming influence on the back-end.

Vaclav Karabacek - competitive forward, won't blow you away with skill or any one skillset in particular, but competes very hard and makes good decisions all over the ice

Christian Dvorak - ability to involve himself in play all over the ice, he's always around the puck supporting the play and presenting an available option. very smart player and very good compete level as well. am a huge fan, a straight up solid player, might not be the best player at any level but you just come away thinking what a gamer. think Justin Williams

Kyle Jenkins - a bit similar to Belpedio's description. Still raw, but there's the makings of a smart puck-moving defenseman. Has good decision making and poise with the puck. I like defensemen that don't panic but make solid decisions with poise whether its skating it out or making a pass, and Jenkins fits that bill, great intelligence in his game.

Rourke Chartier - smart, smart, smart forward with a high compete level. can play any situation and excel, very good head for the game and there are flashes of the occasional skill level. might not have the potential of top 6 forward, but is a guy you want to play with and have on your team.

Keegan Iverson - forward, LA or Boston type pick. Competes all over the ice, hits, gets his nose dirty without even thinking twice. If there's a prototypical LA/Boston draft pick in this draft it's Iverson. Heavy pro-frame too.

Noah Rod* - forward, only viewing at U18, seemed like a guy who's compete level is off the charts and has a good understanding of the game. Plays in dirty areas, hits, blocks shots, the whole thing. 4 points in 12 playoff games playing in 1st Swiss league.

Emil Johansson* - only viewings at Hlinka, despite being "only" 6'0 seemed to consistently win board battles against bigger players, being listed at 194 lbs might have something to do with that. Good mobility, at this stage not really developed as a offensive defenseman but has good skills with the puck and hockey IQ. Can skate with the puck or make a play, his numbers don't blow you away but I was very impressed with his all-around ability at Hlinka, consistently tilted the ice in his team's favor.

Ryan Hitchcock - undersized forward, but battles hard and has a good hockey IQ. Reads the play very well, pounces on opportunities and has a high work rate. Puck hound type. Really impressed with his work-rate above all, seems to be the guy with the highest intensity on the ice.

Matt Revel - Another undersized forward, but I find his combination of vision and work rate alluring. only saw him twice but both times he was making great plays, finding teammates open and playing with a lot of intensity. It's not like his skill level or numbers are exactly lacking either.

Joe Wegwerth - huge forward with OK mobility for his size. Really good at cycling and protecting the puck. Displays some flashes of offensive ability. Would take as a project in late rounds.

Albin Carlson - teammate of Nylander and Kempe at MODO. 20 years old, zero points in 25 games. Not a big guy either 5'10 183lbs. I find him to be exceptionally smart, doesn't exactly get flustered by boardwork or being physically dominated either, but that's European big ice hockey so who knows on smaller ice. I like his decision making, makes smart little passes and has very good positioning which combined with his mobility he uses to defend. Relies mostly on smarts to play his game, he's a bit of a tweener between not being shutdown or offensive Dman, am a fan though. If he developed another thing to add to his game he'd probably already been drafted, but smarts alone probably won't cut it.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Danny Audette is very underrated.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
Huffman

Sebastian Aho
Axel Holmström
Gustav Forsling

They could all be selected earlier though, especially Aho.

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:02 PM
nki

Nantel is a good choice too.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Crosbylsmalkin

some euro goalie.

Crosbylsmalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdt Kobain View Post
Danny Moynihan

Yeah, I really don't see it. I think maybe someday Connor could make the NHL, but I really can't see Danny making it. Still a longshot for either of them to make it.

06-02-2014, 12:40 PM
BoDacious Horvat

Tyson Baillie if he falls past the 2nd, Blake Clarke will be that player that a team will pick late and really work with him on getting his game back together and walk away with a very good player

BoDacious Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:08 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
I know he had a great playoffs. Do you feel like his style of game will translate to the NHL?
Yes, I think so. He's got the grit and smarts to be a grinder even if he has trouble scoring at the next level.

Old
06-02-2014, 03:06 PM
tmlfan98
Disappointed

Quote:
Brandon Hickey

Jayce Hawryluk

Justin Kirkland
Ya Kirkland is really good IMO. Would love if the Leafs could pick him up in rounds 3-7

tmlfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:27 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Dmitrii Sergeev is a DraftBuzz 91-120 who has a lot of headroom to progress. The only plus player on a bad Kitchener team with 5 at -20 or worse. He transitioned very slowly, and only started gaining confidence to consistently flex his skill in the last few games. Has a full toolbox and is a guy to look at if you want high reward.

Some others listed here are definite 2nd rounders.

It's interesting, as the late 2nd rounders in rankings aren't really hidden. 61-90 has a ton of likeable players this year.

Old
06-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
I wrote a piece about some WHL gems a few months back some of them may go higher or lower than what I said a few months back but I feel some of these guys have good potential

Adding to my list:
Justin Gutierez
Alex Schoenborn
Radel Fazleev

Quote:
Carter Folk - LW - Lethbridge Hurricanes - 6'1 200
-Built like a tree stump, Folk is a steamroll on the ice throwing huge hits with regularity. He gives his all every shift, is an ideal team first guy, and not afraid to drop the gloves. Folk is quite raw offensively (only 9pts on the year) and will need any team that drafts him to show patience in his development. Folk had the misfortune of being traded to the Hurricanes this season. In order to grow his game further Folk needs to work on developing his offensive skill set and two way acumen as much as he can, and if at all possible get away from the train wreck that is the Hurricanes organization.
-Playing style: Chris Neil
-NHL potential: Bottom six, physical winger
-Round: 6/7

Mads Eller - LW - Edmonton Oil Kings - 6'1 200
-Surprisingly, Eller was passed over in last years draft. That won't happen this time around. Although it took him time to get used to the North American game, he is now flourishing in Edmonton posting 13 points in his last 15 games, playing primarily in a bottom six role on very deep Oil Kings team. Lars' younger brother is very intriguing prospect, he has moulded his game perfectly to North American game, forchecking hard, and throwing thunderous checks, he is pure energy. One of the fastest skaters I've seen at the junior level, Mads never takes a shift off and is the kind of player you notice every shift. His offensive instincts are very nice and are coming along very well in Edmonton. He is in the perfect situation going forward and will see a much expanded role next year.
-Playing style: More physical, Michael Grabner
-NHL potential: Bottom six, energy winger with game breaking speed
-Round: 6/7

Colin Shirley - LW - Kamloops Blazers - 6'2
-Playing a top six role on a rebuilding team in Kamloops, Shirley has been given great opportunities with the Blazers and when the team gets a year older next year he could be a star. Although he is prospect with a very raw skill set, that skill set is very attractive. Shirley is a power forward with good hands and good wheels for his size. He can dominate on the cycle has excellent board play and is deadly in close. Shirley is a good example of a player with all the tools and maybe not the best toolbox, he can disappear at times and dominate others. If he can work on becoming a consistent contributor he could be a steal in the later rounds. The Blazers will be a powerhouse in the Dub for the next few years and Shirley will be front and centre.
-Playing style: Rick Nash
-NHL potential: Second line, power forward
-Round: 5/6

Tyson Baillie - C - Kelowna Rockets - 5'10 190
-Baillie is one of my favourite prospects available in this draft. He combines a feisty hard working gritty style of play with high skill level (PPG this year). Baillie has a mean streak to his game and drives to the net hard with regularity. He is a committed defensive player who is developing his game with one of the the best developmental programs in the CHL in Kelowna. Baillie is a proven playoff performer who steps up when it matters most, he's the type of player championship teams need. Some will say the knocks on Baillie are his size and skating, but I have no problem with either. While not tall Baillie is very stocky and plays the game like someone much bigger. As for his skating Baillie may not have game breaking speed but his skating never keeps him out of a play. Great all around prospect.
-Playing style: Somewhere between Mike Richards and Joe Pavelski
-NHL potential: 3rd line two-way centre with 2nd line potential
-Round: 2/3

Travis Sanheim -RD - Calgary Hitmen - 6'3 190
-Sanheim is in first year in junior and has taken time to adjust his game, but what he has done lately will have many scouts taking notice (13 points in 13 games in the month of February). Sanheim has an excellent frame, that will support more muscle and weight going foreword. Sanheim has good mobility and has an good first pass. He is a 2-way D-man, with an excellent shot and good vision from the backend. He regularly runs PP and is reliable breaking out of his own zone. The flaws in his game would be in his own zone as he can be flustered by hard forcheck and the fact that he is not overly physical. Despite all this Sanheim is still very raw and whomever drafts him will have a project on there hands. Sanheim has all the tools that would lead me to believe the payoff may be huge.
-Playing style: Cody Franson
-NHL potential: 2nd pairing, 2-way D-man
-Round: 2

Arvin Atwal - RD - Vancouver Giants - 6'1 195
-Atwal caught my eye last year, playing for the league worst Giants. Despite losing the majority of there games this kid always stood out when I watched them, and that has carried over to this year. He plays a very tough, 2-way game, and doesn't have many weaknesses IMO. Atwal never shy's away from a battle, sticks up for teammates and throws big hits often. His offensive game is quite sound, he has a bomb from the point and possesses nice instincts when in the opponents end. He has a very nice transition game getting out of his zone with a crisp pass or skating it out himself, for sure one of his best attributes. Defensively he does it all, blocks shots, clears the net, and in general plays hard. I have found myself surprised at his low rankings. The only reason I see, is that there is really nothing special about his game he is good at the junior level but will that transition to pro, I say yes, others will disagree.
Play style: Drew Doughty
NHL potential: Bottom 4, do it all D-man
Round: 6/7

Ryan Rehill - RD - Kamloops Blazers - 6'3 215
-Rehill brings a very physical and defence first game to the table. The WHL PIMS leader blocks shots punishes with big hits and clears opposing players from the front of the net every night. Only -1 on the WHL's second worst team, playing top opposition every night speaks volumes to Rehills game. Rehill often fights the toughest customers in the dub and holds his own. While his offensive numbers have gone up this year I wouldn't expect much offence going forward. Rehills foot speed and mobility need work but shouldn't hold him back. He has a huge roll on the Blazers this year and will have huge roll going forward for the rebuilding Blazers.
-Playing style: Brooks Orpik
-NHL potential: Bottom pairing shutdown D-man
-Round: 3/4

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:45 PM
Mozesmadness
MEMORIAL CUP CHAMPS!

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by R S View Post

Agreed. Despite his size he plays a very feisty skilled game. Could be a gem.

Mozesmadness is offline   Reply With Quote