HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Chelios?

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2005, 11:35 AM
tinyzombies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
Maybe I'm biased, but I'm not sure that being "old" or "past his prime" is necessarily the kiss of death to his value as a hockey player. Yes, he's "old" (by NHL standards), and it's true he won't be making any all-star teams or contending for any Norris trophies anymore. But... he looked fine to me last year. Still pretty snarly and tough in the slot and the corners, not as mobile, not carrying the puck as much, but probably better at making the smart plays to clear his zone than most of our guys. He logged 21 mins a game in Detroit last year, which is no mean feat with Lidstrom devouring half a game and Schneider at 24 mins.

My reservations on signing him are purely financial-relative-to-his-stature-in-the-game, really. Like raketheleaves above, I think he can contribute just fine. We carried Quintal last year back there. I'm pretty sure Chelios could play better in every zone than Quintal. And yeah, maybe he could help tutor Hainsey... teach him to channel his party energies in only the right establishments, show him where it's safe to take a leak and where it's not, and he might be able to introduce him to some classier ladies than he's used to... you know, really help straighten the kid out.
I ran into Chelios and Svoboda at Annie's (used to also be on on Parc) and they were just surrounded by every chick in the house....about 50 chicks or more and they handpicked a few and split. So Chelios was a wildchild like Hainsey.

He'd also help Komisarek with his positioning and ability to move the puck, get off a quick shot. Heck, all of our D need help, except maybe Markov.

Then we could even hire him as a coach after if that's the route he wants to take.

Old
06-27-2005, 11:36 AM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

We could bring back Spino-Savard too and have the best of both world.

Old
06-27-2005, 11:37 AM
Fozz

Well, there's old and then there's ancient. Chelios is 43 freaking years old! After an entire year off (sure he played 20-some games in the UHL, big fat deal!) and eating his own made chili everyday, there's no way in heck this guy will be able to keep up with the pace of the new NHL.

Old
06-27-2005, 11:58 AM
RaTcine

I'd like to have Chelios back on the 3rd pairing.

Old
06-27-2005, 02:40 PM
Hab at it

No thanks, way too old, and with the FA market that's probably going to be out there this year we can get someone still in their prime and able to contribute more than Chris.

Closed Thread