HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mark McNeil

Old
08-14-2013, 04:24 AM
Spectrefire

vCash: 500
He's ostensibly untradeable. Hasn't done anything at all to prove much value beyond a 2nd, but has upside worth far more than just a 2nd.

The only situation where he IS tradeable is if he's an add-on to a blockbuster.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
No. Because we invested like 10th overall for McI, and expect him here later this season. McN was never 10th overall value at best, certainly not now, and its one thing to get him late first early second value or alternate, another to give up value for him, and still another to give up value for area of need for NY.

Try again.
Hawks have no reason to trade him for a late 1st, early 2nd.

And McIlrath wasn't projected to be a 10th overall pick, he was projected around the same as McNeill was (mid to late 1st).

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:00 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Hawks have no reason to trade him for a late 1st, early 2nd.

And McIlrath wasn't projected to be a 10th overall pick, he was projected around the same as McNeill was (mid to late 1st).
bold = true, but still not = value, and McI way more important to NY at this point.

pls try again

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
I just assume hold him and see if he develops as opposed to trading him when he has minimal value.
Or the middle ground: Discount him, but not to rock bottom. Create an enticement to bid, but not one too onerous for you guys.

Old
08-14-2013, 11:08 AM
bernmeister

Rangers find Brian Boyle useful and productive.
However, we'd like to some cap movement including dumping Asham's #.

Boyle + Asham + X
for
McNeil + Y ?

Old
08-14-2013, 12:09 PM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Rangers find Brian Boyle useful and productive.
However, we'd like to some cap movement including dumping Asham's #.

Boyle + Asham + X
for
McNeil + Y ?
Sorry,Hawks dont have the cap space themselves nor do they need or want either of those two.You'd have a better chance of dealing Richards somewhere than getting the Hawks to take Boyle or Asham never mind both! And no to Richards either.Although I think he would be a great #2c behind Toews,he makes too much for the Hawks to even consider without dumping a big contract of their own.As someone said earlier,if McNeill is to be dealt it would probably be as part of a bigger deal which is highly unlikely at present.The Hawks only real perceived need right now is a #2c.Neither Boyle nor Asham fill that need and they have several in-house players who they will try to use there.If none of them workout then maybe the Hawks will try to trade for one using McNeill +,but even then I see noone on the Rangers(other than the overpriced Richards)who they would want.

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
bold = true, but still not = value, and McI way more important to NY at this point.

pls try again
There is no other trade to be made, really. it will involve a better player/prospect than McIlrath if there is.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:49 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
Sorry,Hawks dont have the cap space themselves nor do they need or want either of those two.You'd have a better chance of dealing Richards somewhere than getting the Hawks to take Boyle or Asham never mind both! And no to Richards either.Although I think he would be a great #2c behind Toews,he makes too much for the Hawks to even consider without dumping a big contract of their own.As someone said earlier,if McNeill is to be dealt it would probably be as part of a bigger deal which is highly unlikely at present.The Hawks only real perceived need right now is a #2c.Neither Boyle nor Asham fill that need and they have several in-house players who they will try to use there.If none of them workout then maybe the Hawks will try to trade for one using McNeill +,but even then I see noone on the Rangers(other than the overpriced Richards)who they would want.
Agreed. We are stuck w/Richards til next year, we can't trade now because we'd still get stuck w/his cap hit under any other circumstances besides amnesty next year.

Ok, something around McN + for cap dump + is non starter.

Old
08-14-2013, 05:50 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
There is no other trade to be made, really. it will involve a better player/prospect than McIlrath if there is.
bold = fair enough.

If and when there is a deal, we'll set what the market bears.

Old
08-14-2013, 06:51 PM
TurdFerguson

Somebody like Tinordi.

TurdFerguson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh_so_saad

I don't think Mcneil will ever be higher than 3c. He has great offensive upside and size but with toews down the middle, and if tuevo don't bust, and the slew of prospects in pirri, and others I see him on that dave bolland type of deal.

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:35 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh_so_saad View Post
I don't think Mcneil will ever be higher than 3c. He has great offensive upside and size but with toews down the middle, and if tuevo don't bust, and the slew of prospects in pirri, and others I see him on that dave bolland type of deal.
Really?
I considered him a value in being basically solid.
Did not recall anyone saying he was particularly, explosive, or strong with the puck, etc.

Old
08-15-2013, 03:44 PM
Barnaby

Quote:

pls try again
Rangers are not trading Mclrath whose improving at this point for McNeil whose game has stagnated a bit.

The Rangers also have a better forwards in the fold named JT Miller and Oscar Lindberg. It's not a stretch to say that one of those players take the 3C spot, and possibly as high as a 2C at some point.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:24 PM
OneSharpMarble

Desharnais for McNeil

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:51 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Desharnais for McNeil
IMO, the Hawks aren't interested in picking up a $3.75M cap hit for 3 more year. The Hawks have a bunch of prospects in the pipeline (which might or might not develop) that they will attempt to fill the slot cheaply while they are on ELC's rather than ponying up for DD.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:58 PM
vokiel
I hate blind passes

Couldn't resist

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:52 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post

Couldn't resist

And you should not have. Glad you didn't.

I'm gonna miss this show.

Old
08-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 300
Pateryn+ Leblanc for McNeill

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:28 PM
The Undertaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
MClrath was supposed to be a 2nd.
But he wasn't.

The Undertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Doublechin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post
Based on his play over the last year or so, it seems like his ceiling is more bottom-6 than top-6. It may not even be at center. That said, because he's a power forward, and sometimes power forwards take a little longer for their game to catch up to their body, it's too early to know how good he can be. Where the other 1st rounder taken in that draft, Phillip Danault, improved last season over the previous season and seems to be a more certain NHL level player, McNeill's game kind of stagnated and that's playing as an older and often times bigger and stronger player than many of the guys he was playing with and against in the WHL.

I think McNeill is now in that grey area where the Hawks wouldn't be able to get as much for him as he could be worth, but if he doesn't pick up his game in the AHL this season, he will be worth even less at this time next year. For the Hawks, the cupboard isn't empty of prospects, so it makes sense to hang on to him and bet that he improves.
Totally agree, I think size is the only thing going on for him, his progression has somewhat stalled offensively, he isn't a defensive juggernaut either, his play making is very limited, so I think he ends up as a bottom 6th winger with limited minutes, unless he becomes an intimidating physical player I don't see him achieving any sort of success in the NHL.

Doublechin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 04:30 PM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Does he at least look to be a good 3rd line centre, a poor 2nd line center ?
The Hawks have mentioned he will probably play on the wing with Rockford/Chicago. That might be because of the Hawks depth down the middle in prospects (TT, Danault, etc.).

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote