HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

I wish the Predators would offer Kadri a contract.

Old
09-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
I wish the Predators would offer Kadri a contract.

Toronto has 4.9m left under the cap and they need to still sign Kadri and Franson. I wish Poile would for once go all out for a top notch forward and try to steal him away from the Leafs. Some would say he isn't proven enough to offer 5.5m a year to but Josi has about the same number of games and I am very happy about his contract. Kadri was almost a point per game player last season and at the age of 22, we have yet to see him at his best. Sure we would lose some picks but there is no telling what we would draft anyways. If we did get him to sign something it would at least force the Leafs hand to either match or make a trade prior to the deadline.

It sure would be nice to have a young star like this and this sort of opportunity doesn't come around very often.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Top 6 Spaling

vCash: 500
First impression: Great idea.
After thinking: Awful idea.

5.5 would be an overpayment this year, sure, but the real issue is that we would then have to qualify him at 5.5 mil for every year from here on out, so he would never been cheaper than that. Secondly, there is a decent chance we will draft a player with our 1st this year better than Kadri (he's great, but we could easily get a top 10 or top 5 with a few injuries).

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 02:55 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
First impression: Great idea.
After thinking: Awful idea.

5.5 would be an overpayment this year, sure, but the real issue is that we would then have to qualify him at 5.5 mil for every year from here on out, so he would never been cheaper than that. Secondly, there is a decent chance we will draft a player with our 1st this year better than Kadri (he's great, but we could easily get a top 10 or top 5 with a few injuries).
Well I would offer him more than one year for sure and my bet with injuries or not we will end up barely missing the playoffs or barely making it. Either way the pick will probably not be in the top 10. Even if it is the odds of getting a player like Kadri is already known to be isn't very high.

Think about it this way. How many forwards drafted this year will be point per game players? I'm going to say 3-4 maybe and this year was said to be an amazing draft. I would take the sure thing over the chance anyday.

Old
09-04-2013, 03:50 PM
SeventyOneTN

So we would lose a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd right? If so, I like the idea. especially if we were able to trade some of our excess to get a draft pick back. Obviously it would be more like a 3rd.

SeventyOneTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

And how do we work it under the cap? We don't even have room for that at the moment, plus we need a back up goalie. Also, Forsberg is very likely to make the team out of camp, and the cap space routinely brought up here is taken from Cap Geek who is not counting FF's hit against our cap.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 04:56 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
And how do we work it under the cap? We don't even have room for that at the moment, plus we need a back up goalie. Also, Forsberg is very likely to make the team out of camp, and the cap space routinely brought up here is taken from Cap Geek who is not counting FF's hit against our cap.
Agree with you regarding the cap, but I guess we have a back-up goalie.

-snip-
The initial prognosis is true: Nashville Predators head coach Barry Trotz confirmed to NHL.comís Mike Morreale
that Carter Hutton will back up Pekka Rinne in net.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 06:59 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
Agree with you regarding the cap, but I guess we have a back-up goalie.

-snip-
The initial prognosis is true: Nashville Predators head coach Barry Trotz confirmed to NHL.comís Mike Morreale
that Carter Hutton will back up Pekka Rinne in net.
beat me to it. Trotz said Hutton is the backup

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2013, 07:45 PM
hockey diva

You would have better luck playing the lottery. Kadri is not going to come to little podunky Nashville after being in the bright lights of Toronto. Try again.

hockey diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:12 AM
thecloser

first off I know it has been proven by us missing out on signing big name guys because of being Nashville, but it's certainly not a podunky Nashville for some guys. I understand the situation with Toronto being the big stage but once guys come here they seem to openly say how much they love the area, the team, and the fans. We improved this off-season a little bit with our signings. Plus if you look at our team we have young guys that are going to be main stays in the NHL so why wouldn't Kadri wanna play with guys like Jones, Forsberg, Beck, Stalberg and Wilson. He'd be an instant star status player here just because of his skills compared to some of the other guys we have.

If we offer sheet him we could unload Spaling for a pick and then probably trade Goose as well for a pick or two if needed since we'd be losing 3 picks with the offer sheet to Kadri. I get the salary cap issue but we don't have to be under that until a couple of days before/after pre-season (?) I believe that's correct...if so that gives us a little time to unload the two aforementioned.

Any how, we'd still be improved getting Kadri and dropping spaling and goose. Then Hendricks could step into the center spot on the 4th line, add Clune and we still have the toughness factor of that line. Keep in mind, Hendricks is still 50+% in the face off dot.

Ok, i'm done spitballing but that's my train of thought on this subject. 5.5 for 2-3 years and then re-evaluate. Either way the Leafs cannot match and I'm sure they'd love the compensation.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:19 AM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post

You would have better luck playing the lottery. Kadri is not going to come to little podunky Nashville after being in the bright lights of Toronto. Try again.
Money talks...

Old
09-05-2013, 09:51 AM
29dryden29

Kadri wants to play in a large market. He and his family are still die hard HABS fans I know them. He would be open to NYR MTL Toronto or Chicago or Detroit.

29dryden29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:20 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Kadri wants to play in a large market. He and his family are still die hard HABS fans I know them. He would be open to NYR MTL Toronto or Chicago or Detroit.
I disagree with the OP's suggestion, but would he really turn down a $5.5 offer (OP's suggestion) because he has a list of only five teams he'd like to play for? I doubt it...

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:37 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
I disagree with the OP's suggestion, but would he really turn down a $5.5 offer (OP's suggestion) because he has a list of only five teams he'd like to play for? I doubt it...
He would actually he is a very family oriented kid and like to be situated fairly close to home. Why do you think he played in Kitchener and London in JR.

Old
09-05-2013, 10:45 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
He would actually he is a very family oriented kid and like to be situated fairly close to home. Why do you think he played in Kitchener and London in JR.
Because he didn't have that kind of offer to go elsewhere Seriously though, money has to play into it a little as he hasn't signed yet (he will, of course).

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 10:59 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

If no one else signs him, he'll take what he can get.

Right, Sergei?

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 11:12 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Because he didn't have that kind of offer to go elsewhere Seriously though, money has to play into it a little as he hasn't signed yet (he will, of course).
He is prepared to sit the season out.

Old
09-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Money talks...
Very few good players have interest to come here regardless. We offered Briere the most money but it still wasn't enough. I'm sure that isn't the first time that's happened.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 12:41 PM
Persona5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Very few good players have interest to come here regardless. We offered Briere the most money but it still wasn't enough. I'm sure that isn't the first time that's happened.
Well if the NHL network would cover all teams equally and stop the "original six" bs that comes up every 5 seconds I think teams like the Predators would have a better chance at some of these higher profile players. It won't happen though sadly.

Old
09-05-2013, 01:08 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Well if the NHL network would cover all teams equally and stop the "original six" bs that comes up every 5 seconds I think teams like the Predators would have a better chance at some of these higher profile players. It won't happen though sadly.
It isn't just the NHL network. It is all media in general

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
preds1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
It isn't just the NHL network. It is all media in general
True. I saw a poll on NHL.com asking which goalie you would want in a must-win game.
Rinne wasn't one of the 5 listed. Was surprised a bit actually.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:01 PM
thecloser

Quote:
He is prepared to sit the season out.
anyhow, as mentioned before, I agree....money talks.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-05-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Unnecessary.
thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 05:30 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Heading home for what is probably his final contract didn't factor into Briere's decision at all. It's funny when we get one of the bigger name free agents ... like Stalberg this summer ... the lack of interest talk disappears. It's only when the Preds are one of 29 teams a player didn't sign with that the concept rears its head.

Last edited by 101st_fan: 09-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Heading home for what is probably his final contract didn't factor into Briere's decision at all. It's funny when we get one of the bigger name free agents ... like Stalberg this summer ... the lack of interest talk disappears. It's only when the Preds are one of 29 teams a player didn't sign with that the concept rears its head.
Stalberg was a big name free agent????

Gnashville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 07:31 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Stalberg was a big name free agent????
For this year's class, yes. Especially of those in play at the beginning of the FA period.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-05-2013, 08:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Indeed. He was listed on a lot of the wants list before fa started.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote