HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Top Shelf Prospects: New York Islanders

Old
08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

http://lastwordonsports.com/top-shelf-prospects-new-york-islanders-2/

Quote:
The 2013 draft saw the Isles get a real steal when Ryan Pulock fell to their spot at 15th overall. He joins a strong group of blue line prospects who will help lead the Islanders to more playoff appearances, as they make their move to the Barclay’s Centre going forward. With the issue of finding a new home finally settled, it is now time for the Islanders to focus on continuing to grow on the ice.

LastWordArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:53 AM
crasherino

Quote:
The goaltending with Kevin Poulin in the NHL and Anders Nilsson in the AHL is also in good shape.

That's a bit optimistic, me thinks. Could end up being an OK situation, but hardly in the bag. The Isles future blueline? That's the epitome of something that is in good shape. Top tier prospects, good mix of physical and PMD and tons of depth.

Two question mark goaltenders? Less good shape.

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

That's a bit optimistic, me thinks. Could end up being an OK situation, but hardly in the bag. The Isles future blueline? That's the epitome of something that is in good shape. Top tier prospects, good mix of physical and PMD and tons of depth.

Two question mark goaltenders? Less good shape.
Understatement. If I had to rank our top-7, it would be:

1. Reinhart
2. de Haan
3. Pulock
4. Donovan
5. Pokka
6. Mayfield
7. Pelech

What's crazy is that our 6th and 7th best D prospects could actually be #1 D prospects in certain organizations. IMO, all of these guys are safe bets to get NHL time(barring something health related), which is insane.

Worst case scenario, we should end up with at least 3 top-4 defenders from this group. Honestly, I feel like that's a conservative number. No other team in the league has as much depth in terms of D-prospects with top-4+ upside. I've really never seen anything like it, TBH.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:11 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

1. Reinhart
2. de Haan
3. Pulock
4. Donovan
5. Pokka
6. Mayfield
7. Pelech

What's crazy is that our 6th and 7th best D prospects could actually be #1 D prospects in certain organizations. IMO, all of these guys are safe bets to get NHL time(barring something health related), which is insane.

Worst case scenario, we should end up with at least 3 top-4 defenders from this group. Honestly, I feel like that's a conservative number. No other team in the league has as much depth in terms of D-prospects with top-4+ upside. I've really never seen anything like it, TBH.
You can't mention those seven without adding Pedan...after that ,we have younger D that have upside but Pedan belongs at #8 in the main group. Has to be the best D prospects in the league (at least the deepest), if not I'd like to see who.

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Strome18

Phoenix has a good group.
St.Louis has a decent group.

I still think we have a deeper group than any team.

I predict our top 6 will all come from within.

Not hard to say that .

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post

Not hard to say that .
Well, that certainly seems like Snow's plan and I think it's a good one. Defensemen carry such a premium these days, it's too costly to acquire them in assets and in dollars. Again, it's Snow's MoneyHockey philosophy at work. Cost controlled assets under team control for 7 years at the least gives him roster and salary cap flexibility. Plus, the Isles seem to have adopted the Detroit 'over-ripen' model of development. The kids don't get handed roster spots anymore, they have to fight to win a spot and earn it... I like that.

We seriously could see a completely homegrown defense corps in the next several years, that's pretty cool. Aside from all the other factors, it should help the chemistry that seems so important to the organization now. The Isles place a lot weight in character so most of the next wave of kiddies should be easily plugged into the BORG core with little or no resistance. Because you know, 'Resistance is Futile!'

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:17 AM
dspbathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Well, that certainly seems like Snow's plan and I think it's a good one. Defensemen carry such a premium these days, it's too costly to acquire them in assets and in dollars. Again, it's Snow's MoneyHockey philosophy at work. Cost controlled assets under team control for 7 years at the least gives him roster and salary cap flexibility. Plus, the Isles seem to have adopted the Detroit 'over-ripen' model of development. The kids don't get handed roster spots anymore, they have to fight to win a spot and earn it... I like that.

We seriously could see a completely homegrown defense corps in the next several years, that's pretty cool. Aside from all the other factors, it should help the chemistry that seems so important to the organization now. The Isles place a lot weight in character so most of the next wave of kiddies should be easily plugged into the BORG core with little or no resistance. Because you know, 'Resistance is Futile!'
I'd say that's a great model to emulate. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team that has had as much prolonged success as the Wings.

dspbathroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:45 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspbathroom View Post
I'd say that's a great model to emulate. You'd be hard-pressed to find a team that has had as much prolonged success as the Wings.
We can only hope the Isles can enjoy a fraction of the success that the Red Wings have had over the years. The early rebuilding years were so incredibly painful for everyone, but like a Phoenix... the team has emerged from the ashes with quite a lot of positive things going for it and a steely resolve. Now that there is some semblance of stability, the foundation is finally in place with a clear identity and probably the most envious salary cap structure in the league. If the team continues to progress, the Isles could be a long term contender that still operates fairly close to the cap FLOOR. That's crazy.

One thing I really wonder about is how Snow handles the numbers game in about 2 years. His asset management hasn't been the greatest with Parenteau and Streit walking for pretty much nothing. Of course, there were some extenuating circumstances in both cases. I guess we'll see what happens when we get there.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:04 PM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post

1. Reinhart
2. de Haan
3. Pulock
4. Donovan
5. Pokka
6. Mayfield
7. Pelech

I know we're talking prospects here, but, keep in mind, those people might be 3-4 years out, but when they are NHL ready, we'll still have Hamonic, A-Mac and I'm sure there's another name I can't think of.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 06:24 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Wentworth View Post
I know we're talking prospects here, but, keep in mind, those people might be 3-4 years out, but when they are NHL ready, we'll still have Hamonic, A-Mac and I'm sure there's another name I can't think of.
I would count Dalhuisen in as a solid possibility from all I have read and heard of him. He has the physical tools. Also Hickey just could become a factor.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 07:08 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post

Not hard to say that .
I'd consider trading all of our d prospects for stlouis big 3

duster19 is offline   Reply With Quote