Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Top OHL Players Who Could Be Traded/Dealt in 2013-14

Old
08-12-2013, 08:55 PM
defensehockey19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Bisson View Post
Graham may be a hot commodity for more teams than just Erie. When I went to watch Niagara play against Oshawa in the playoffs 2 years ago, he stood out to me more than anything else. His combination of offence and defence will make him one of the stronger D-men in the league. Another hot commodity could be Craig Duinninck in Sarnia. He's got a mem cup, is one of the most reliable defenders in the league, and could bring a great return for a Sarnia team that will probably struggle this year. He's a huge glue guy, and would be a great OA for any team.

I would love Graham in Ptbo.

defensehockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 09:35 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoSanchez15 View Post
There is absolutely no way Nurse is traded this year unless the team is in the basement and they know for sure he is not back next year.

Just my opinion but I would say there is less than 1% chance he is traded this year.
Not just your opinion...I think your bang on. It would take a monumental change of thinking by the Soo management to see Nurse moved. I don't see it, its wishful thinking.

SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 10:11 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Yeah, I agree here. We can debate all day long whether or not Windsor is going to be good. This thread is about top players that could be traded. If Windsor isn't good they'll probably look to trade away their top guys to contending teams to start a rebuild.
...and whether a team is successful or not has a lot to do with which players stay and which players could be dealt. My point was simply that Windsor should be better than last year because of what they faced after the deadline. Not many teams lose that much on the blue-line. I don't see guys like Vail, Sieloff, and Rychel being dealt until the deadline, if at all, because the talent level on this team is too high to be another fail. As long as the team stays healthy, there won't be many top-end guys dealt from here.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:08 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I would put Rychel, Vail, Sieloff, Koekkoek all on top of that list or at least a couple of those guys. Certainly ahead of Monahan since there's a question of him returning and I see no chance of Nurse getting dealt.
I agree...I don't think he'll be back in Ottawa, therefore will not be traded...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:15 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
As long as the team stays healthy, there won't be many top-end guys dealt from here.
Define "stays healthy". Every team has to anticipate some injuries and overcome them to be successful. If a team goes through an entire season without missing anyone (especially in the OHL, where guys can be gone for WJ and NHL camps too), they should consider that abnormal and especially lucky...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 11:29 PM
12Gage09

I think Kerby Rychel would be a good addition to the Knights but do you guys think Warren Rychel would really trade away his son??

12Gage09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:47 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
Define "stays healthy". Every team has to anticipate some injuries and overcome them to be successful. If a team goes through an entire season without missing anyone (especially in the OHL, where guys can be gone for WJ and NHL camps too), they should consider that abnormal and especially lucky...
We lost Sieloff and Koekkoek for the year in January, plus we were without Posa after the trade (prior to the injuries), and Marchese was done after December with the concussion. Those are 3-4 fairly significant blows, especially to the blue-line. If we can avoid that situation again, where we have to put one of our better two-way forwards on D, we should be just fine.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 09:43 AM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanLafortune View Post
Not just your opinion...I think your bang on. It would take a monumental change of thinking by the Soo management to see Nurse moved. I don't see it, its wishful thinking.
Not trying to start an argument. But I don't see why they wouldn't consider trading Nurse. I'm sure they will try to keep him at all costs, but they will no doubt hear and accept offers from other teams. If Sault St. Marie stumbles in regards to their team (in growth process), why wouldn't they entertain the thought of having a young prospect to play with Jared McCann and Sergei Tolchinsky?? Mitch Marner would develop with huge strides if he were able to play with them....

Last edited by tjziel: 08-13-2013 at 10:31 AM.
tjziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 10:22 AM
aresknights

I'm thinking Nurse stays put as well.

A top 4 D I'd go after early- Basso,Austin, Subban ect... whoever Hunter thinks will fit.
After that maybe a depth D and depth F- ESP if Broadhurst is returned. But I'd wait on it for a couple months and hope there's more value later as teams drop out of real contention

Windsor could throw a bunch of quality onto the market if they falter.

Should be lots of chatter n speculation all year with an additional bid to the show avail this year.

aresknights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 12:12 PM
BoxerMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
Surprised you left Dalton Young off that list. Going to throw out a prediction that he gets traded to Sudbury eventually.
I don't see Young being traded now.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...WS05/308130041

BoxerMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:03 PM
tjziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I don't see Young being traded now.

http://www.thetimesherald.com/articl...WS05/308130041
Well, we can definitely scratch him off the list for sure. Actually, I would not be surprised if Saginaw releases him because you do not want that elephant in the dress room! His OHL career might be over.....

tjziel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 01:12 PM
EON 93
Title free since '02

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Well, we can definitely scratch him off the list for sure. Actually, I would not be surprised if Saginaw releases him because you do not want that elephant in the dress room! His OHL career might be over.....
Forget OHL, this kid's career in anything could be over.

EON 93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:11 PM
SeanLafortune
@SeanLafortune

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjziel View Post
Not trying to start an argument. But I don't see why they wouldn't consider trading Nurse. I'm sure they will try to keep him at all costs, but they will no doubt hear and accept offers from other teams. If Sault St. Marie stumbles in regards to their team (in growth process), why wouldn't they entertain the thought of having a young prospect to play with Jared McCann and Sergei Tolchinsky?? Mitch Marner would develop with huge strides if he were able to play with them....
Don't think you are. I'm just stating that it would take a massive shift of philosophy. I'm fairly confident that Edmonton isn't expecting Nurse next year (based on the conversations I've had), and the Soo don't expect him to leave. He could, but thats not the expectation. Would they listen, sure, but I doubt any team would be willing to pay the price. It's the same situation as Ryan Sproul last year.

BTW, I'd suggest the odds of Monahan returning are less then 10 percent.

Last edited by SeanLafortune: 08-13-2013 at 02:21 PM.
SeanLafortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Ward Cornell

I would suspect the two players that could get traded from Kitchener are their 2 OA's Ben Thomson (power forward) and Ben Fanelli (d-man).
Of the two I think it's more likely that it would be Thomson being traded.

edited to add......with Piero Greco the Ranger goalie coach seemingly able to reclaim 'lost' goalies I wouldn't be surprised if Tyson Teichmann being moved
at the trade deadline at a greater rate than they paid for him (he did have a decent year last season .908 save %). Not really sure if having a few extra points in the bank will really matter to the Rangers in a rebuild year.

Last edited by Ward Cornell: 08-13-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 04:00 PM
Torts

I dont see the real need for SSM to trade Nurse.

They have some decent pieces in McCann, Nurse himself, Halagian, Tolchinsky, Pastorious, Ganly, Jenkins and Speers all being 1995 born or younger.

I'd say this would be a competitive year from them and if not next year as well. With Darnell still having to make NHL or come back to junior next year I wouldn't call him an easy trade bait already. Even if SSM is playing subpar this year I can't see them trading him.

As for Steelheads that could be in play. I can see Boyd trying to ship Smosky to a contender for a couple of pieces or picks. Other than that it's more or less just giving the young kids ice time.

Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 08:34 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
I would suspect the two players that could get traded from Kitchener are their 2 OA's Ben Thomson (power forward) and Ben Fanelli (d-man).
Of the two I think it's more likely that it would be Thomson being traded.
I really don't think you'll see Fanelli moved unless he approaches the team and okays it.

The player I fully expect to garner attention mid-year is Evan McEneny.

Tim Wallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
I really don't think you'll see Fanelli moved unless he approaches the team and okays it.

The player I fully expect to garner attention mid-year is Evan McEneny.
I don't expect Fanelli to be moved either but I'm sure teams will inquire about him. I don't see him approaching the team to be moved either.
But Thomson should be well sought after by teams.
I keep forgetting about McEneny, with him not playing much in his first year then his injury a cpl seasons ago it doesn't seem right that he's in his last season. (no way he'll be back as an OA)!!

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 09:03 AM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Have you seen Jesse play? I'm an Ice Dogs season ticket holder and he is the furthest thing I have ever seen from a shutdown d-man back there. He is small, can't play the body, doesn't block shots, and is horrible in the corners. His skating and passing are his strengths.

Carter absolutely will not be traded. Most think he will be our captain this year. Dogs are trying to build a strong team for the new arena and I expect him to be apart of it. Frankly, I think Graham and Mercer are in the plans for that too as an experienced 2nd pairing. (Haydon will be with who knows on the top pairing)
Agreed 100%

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:00 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
I dont see the real need for SSM to trade Nurse.

They have some decent pieces in McCann, Nurse himself, Halagian, Tolchinsky, Pastorious, Ganly, Jenkins and Speers all being 1995 born or younger.

I'd say this would be a competitive year from them and if not next year as well. With Darnell still having to make NHL or come back to junior next year I wouldn't call him an easy trade bait already. Even if SSM is playing subpar this year I can't see them trading him.

As for Steelheads that could be in play. I can see Boyd trying to ship Smosky to a contender for a couple of pieces or picks. Other than that it's more or less just giving the young kids ice time.

And this thinking is exactly why some teams sit in middle of the pack and go nowhere. 2 years back Dubas's team had early season run so he unloads assets galore for Campbell . If they are no better than a 5 or 6 seed you must unload Nurse and build your prospects up for a run next year.

Teams that fail to bring back returns on stars are the same teams who remain mediocre forever and complain how much trading London do.

SimonKnightsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:12 AM
aresknights

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
And this thinking is exactly why some teams sit in middle of the pack and go nowhere. 2 years back Dubas's team had early season run so he unloads assets galore for Campbell . If they are no better than a 5 or 6 seed you must unload Nurse and build your prospects up for a run next year.

Teams that fail to bring back returns on stars are the same teams who remain mediocre forever and complain how much trading London do.

I don't think it's as cut n dry as that Simon. If every team 5th or lower sold it would flood a market and returns would be low.

Sometimes there's value in holding onto certain stars. Every situation is unique.

And if its as easy as selling---what up with the Pete's? sorry for the jab

Old
08-17-2013, 10:42 AM
chewerjones

Quote:

I believe that a lot of GMs over evaluate their talent and believe that they are a few players away from competing for the Mem Cup. It may also be that the owners put a lot of pressure on the GMs to have good teams every year to sell tickets.

Sudbury is a clear example of teams over evaluating their team, and believe that they can win every year, and for this, they haven't had a serious contender in a while.

Its very rare to be a top team like London every year. Most teams have a chance to be a serious contender, once or twice every 4 years, and the other years they rebuild. For this reason, good GMs will play the safe odds and do the latter. Missy made a serious run 3 years ago and they were a goal away from winning OHL championship and Mem Cup. They have been in a rebuild for the last 2 years. Unfortunately, Missy gave away too many future high end draft picks for questionable acquisitions, and their rebuild has been delayed by a year or two.

chewerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 10:48 AM
JL17

Being 5th or 6th means squat... Plymouth likes to sit around a struggle for two thirds of the season then make their run lol.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:03 PM
SimonKnightsman

Just saying ares knight and chewer......forget I even said 5 or 6 slot.

In a year when Mem Cup is hosted outta your conference the west and you land Nurse back to junior the Soo could turn around and land real solid prospects, pics for a sell off of one player.

And next year be a legit contender by surrounding their kids with ore high end kids.

London fans would be pushing for a sell off......we always do and we know the drill.

Do not get too attached to your players cuz next year he is gone and thn you got nothing for him.

SimonKnightsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 03:42 PM
saska sault

Looks like Michael Schumacher is on the market... what kind of price would he get? And probably Justin Nichols as Dubas has recently said this is Murray's big year and Nichols I doubt wants to back up again.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2013, 06:46 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Just saying ares knight and chewer......forget I even said 5 or 6 slot.

In a year when Mem Cup is hosted outta your conference the west and you land Nurse back to junior the Soo could turn around and land real solid prospects, pics for a sell off of one player.

And next year be a legit contender by surrounding their kids with ore high end kids.

London fans would be pushing for a sell off......we always do and we know the drill.

Do not get too attached to your players cuz next year he is gone and thn you got nothing for him.
I get what your saying BUT if your idea for the Soo is to compete next year.....
I feel they'd be better off just hoping
Nurse comes back. A gamble? Sure , it always is but many a 1st rd Dman plays twos year after drafted.
And do you really expect kids n pics traded for this year give the Soo players it needs in a run next year? The pics won't be ready as rooks to provide much and teams won't give you 2nd top kids cause they probably need them themselves if making a run.

If the goal is to compete in 2 or 3 years your idea seems better.