HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Which Award Will Tavares Win First?

View Poll Results: Pick one
Hart Memorial 35 57.38%
Ted Lindsay 2 3.28%
Rocket Richard 8 13.11%
Art Ross 5 8.20%
Conn Smythe 7 11.48%
He'll never win one 4 6.56%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-12-2013, 12:45 PM
  #1
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Which Award Will Tavares Win First?

August thread: Which major individual award will Tavares win first? Curious to see what other Isles fans think.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 01:16 PM
  #2
Riseonfire
R+L=J
 
Riseonfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,577
vCash: 500
You need to make the cup finals to even be considered for the Conn Smythe so that is out for now.

Art Ross - I think he's going to be more the sniper we thought we drafted instead of the playmaker he was the first three seasons, so probably not.

Rocket - This was my number 2 choice, but OV was OV last year and Stamkos is still damn good. Hard, but not impossible.

Lindsey - So long as Crosby and OV are at or near the top of their games he won't get the votes.

Hart - He only needs to be near the top for points and goals. He'll have the C this year which will add a few votes. Plus the rest of our roster is underrated so most of the credit (and deservingly so) will go to JT. By far the most win-able.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:00 PM
  #3
BTrotts19
Registered User
 
BTrotts19's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: LI, NY
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
You need to make the cup finals to even be considered for the Conn Smythe so that is out for now.

Art Ross - I think he's going to be more the sniper we thought we drafted instead of the playmaker he was the first three seasons, so probably not.

Rocket - This was my number 2 choice, but OV was OV last year and Stamkos is still damn good. Hard, but not impossible.

Lindsey - So long as Crosby and OV are at or near the top of their games he won't get the votes.

Hart - He only needs to be near the top for points and goals. He'll have the C this year which will add a few votes. Plus the rest of our roster is underrated so most of the credit (and deservingly so) will go to JT. By far the most win-able.
For all of those reasons, any discretionary awards will always go against him/Islander so I think we would need to win the Cup for him to get some universal love. Hope I am wrong but just the way I see it. Voted Conn Smythe.

BTrotts19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:07 PM
  #4
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,526
vCash: 500
Voted the Lindsay award. All the players in the league know how great he is. If he has a year where he's 10-15 points less than Crosby and the Islanders make the playoffs, I think he can get it.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
  #5
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
After being a Hart finalist this year, it's clear what award he has the best chance to win. With Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Stamkos around... it's going to be hard for him to win the Art Ross. JT91 does have a good shot at the Richard if he continues his shoot first and ask questions later tendencies.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 02:30 PM
  #6
scott99
Registered User
 
scott99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 6,458
vCash: 500
I voted the Rocket. He was 5 goals short last season. He's really improved his shot, likes to shoot, and he's a born goal scorer. Barry Melrose stated early last season that Tavares and Stamkos will be fighting it out for the next decade when it comes to the Rocket Richard award, I kinda snickered at that moment (JT's first 3 seasons he was more of a setup man). Then when JT finished 3rd in goals, I'm not snickering anymore.

scott99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 03:02 PM
  #7
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
You need to make the cup finals to even be considered for the Conn Smythe so that is out for now.

Art Ross - I think he's going to be more the sniper we thought we drafted instead of the playmaker he was the first three seasons, so probably not.

Rocket - This was my number 2 choice, but OV was OV last year and Stamkos is still damn good. Hard, but not impossible.

Lindsey - So long as Crosby and OV are at or near the top of their games he won't get the votes.

Hart - He only needs to be near the top for points and goals. He'll have the C this year which will add a few votes. Plus the rest of our roster is underrated so most of the credit (and deservingly so) will go to JT. By far the most win-able.
I wasn't even going to include the Conn Smythe, but the more I thought about it, the more I can see it happening. Tavares can very easily have another year much like this past one, where he's great but doesn't win one of the regular season awards, but with a better supporting cast in the postseason I can easily see him going into beast mode and carrying the team to the Cup. Obviously this will be the hardest of the 5, if only because it means(usually) that the Isles will have to win a Cup, but that said guys like Crosby/Stamkos/Ovechkin/etc. might prevent him from winning any of the others for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
After being a Hart finalist this year, it's clear what award he has the best chance to win. With Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, and Stamkos around... it's going to be hard for him to win the Art Ross. JT91 does have a good shot at the Richard if he continues his shoot first and ask questions later tendencies.
I think you could argue that the Hart and the Rocket are neck and neck. Third in Hart voting, third in goals. Stick a high-end playmaker on his line and he might be able to win them both.

Can't wait for next season...

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  #8
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,088
vCash: 500
I put the Richard as his first award.
The Hart will follow in order.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2013, 05:27 PM
  #9
Little Black
@LittleBlack87
 
Little Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Shawinigan
Country: Canada
Posts: 175
vCash: 500
Rocket Richard this guy's a pure sniper!


Little Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
  #10
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
The Stanley Cup & it will happen next season...

Edit: actually wait, they award the Conn Smythe before gary says John Tavares, come get the Stanley Cup. So change my answer to the Conn Smythe

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:17 PM
  #11
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Junkie View Post
The Stanley Cup & it will happen next season...

Edit: actually wait, they award the Conn Smythe before gary says John Tavares, come get the Stanley Cup. So change my answer to the Conn Smythe
Thanks bud. Now I'm half mast at work. Appreciate it.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:29 PM
  #12
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,786
vCash: 500
Lady Bing

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 03:24 PM
  #13
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 500
Congressional Medal Of Honor and the Nobel Peace Prize, both in the same year. HF will continue to call him over rated.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 04:09 PM
  #14
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Congressional Medal Of Honor and the Nobel Peace Prize, both in the same year. HF will continue to call him over rated.
He's only marginally talented afterall

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:32 PM
  #15
dspbathroom
Registered User
 
dspbathroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: LI/NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
Can't believe people actually call this kid over rated. The only argument they can hang their hats on is that he hasn't been PPG yet. They clearly don't watch the kid play.

dspbathroom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:35 PM
  #16
RMimagery
Registered User
 
RMimagery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Amity Harbor
Country: United States
Posts: 1,311
vCash: 500
and it's such a lame argument...

81 pts in 82 gms

47 pts in 48 gms

RMimagery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 11:18 AM
  #17
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMimagery View Post
and it's such a lame argument...

81 pts in 82 gms

47 pts in 48 gms
Then take into account that he's already had a 50 assist season, and was on pace for 50 goals last year. He scored about as many goals last season in 48 games, than a lot of the people they argue about have in their best full season (Hall/Giroux/Datsyuk)

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:10 PM
  #18
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Then take into account that he's already had a 50 assist season, and was on pace for 50 goals last year. He scored about as many goals last season in 48 games, than a lot of the people they argue about have in their best full season (Hall/Giroux/Datsyuk)
It's not about actual numbers, it's all about PPG and whatever 'pace' they were on for those people. The fact that Tavares doesn't miss games - it hurts his PPG and thus the other player is superior in their arguments. It seems that the old saying, 'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' doesn't apply. I stopped bothering to argue it anymore because it's pointless.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:55 PM
  #19
blinkman360
Back to Basics
 
blinkman360's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Guido Central
Country: United States
Posts: 8,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It's not about actual numbers, it's all about PPG and whatever 'pace' they were on for those people. The fact that Tavares doesn't miss games - it hurts his PPG and thus the other player is superior in their arguments. It seems that the old saying, 'A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' doesn't apply. I stopped bothering to argue it anymore because it's pointless.
It's really stupid. Tavares' point totals were low(lower) because of his lack of assists, but unfortunately it's hard to get assists when your linemates aren't scoring. He had a huge downgrade on his RW, and his go-to winger had the worst season of his career, goal-wise(you could argue that's because of Johnny's increased goal totals, but Moulson was still on pace for a career high in shots... he was also on pace for a career low in goals).

I think the PPG argument is overblown. I suppose next time Tavares should try shooting some pucks in off of Moulson's head to pick up a few more assists.

blinkman360 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:38 PM
  #20
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Conn Smythe when he leads the scrappy upstart Isles to Stanley's Chalice next year.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 09:43 AM
  #21
PWJunior
Moderator
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,449
vCash: 500
Hockeywriters ranks Tavares as the 6th best 1st overall. A pretty decent read.

Power Ranking the No. 1 Overall Picks From 2000-2009
http://thehockeywriters.com/power-ra...rom-2000-2009/

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 10:29 AM
  #22
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,786
vCash: 500
I still say Lady Bing - Dude is a points machine and doesn't get that many penalties.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2013, 11:05 AM
  #23
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Hockeywriters ranks Tavares as the 6th best 1st overall. A pretty decent read.

Power Ranking the No. 1 Overall Picks From 2000-2009
http://thehockeywriters.com/power-ra...rom-2000-2009/
Pat Kane #2? My only real gripe with that list

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.