HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melnyk Interview (Regarding Alfredsson and teams finances)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-26-2013, 10:50 PM
  #426
FolignoQuantumLeap
Its a trap
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,627
vCash: 500
Here's my take on the situation in general.

The Sens are sports team. They are here for our entertainment. Hockey is entertaining. Finance and business are not. The Sens aren't a public company, they aren't running in an election and thus in my opinion their off ice business isn't really something I care a whole lot about unless it directly affects me. Its my choice to buy a ticket. When I buy a ticket I'm not expecting dividends, financial return or them to improve healthcare or infrastructure or clean energy etc.

All I expect when I buy that ticket is to go to a hockey game and be entertained. That's it. Some people seem to be losing sight of that and embracing the negativity. Personally, I've had a great experience overall with this team and I decided to renewed my season tickets the minute I heard Bobby Ryan was a Senator.

Now, the whole issue is an interesting topic worth monitoring, but really its a waste of time until something happens like a huge rise in ticket prices, talk of relocation, or in two years time contract negotiations with many of the team's big names. But while the team is still here and competitive I don't see the point of this witch hunt unless Melnyk is using team finances to back the Syrian civil war or something that is actually relevant or destructive.

There's enough real **** going on in the world to actually get worked up over and the Sens and NHL are an escape from that imo. Guys like Yost seem to want to make it into something else and I don't particularly agree with that. I'm not saying bury your head in the sand, but at what point does a pass time and form of entertainment become the complete opposite. I think its getting there to be honest. The lockout is over (THANK GOD) and I don't need to be hearing all this half baked bs again for an entire summer. Walking checkbooks should not get this share of the spotlight in sports. That's just the way I see it. Feel free to continue and waste your limited time on Earth.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:55 PM
  #427
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
Right, because tax evasion and creative accounting are only in TV shows right? Companies in real life never hide their losses, and are guilty of whatever soon as their charged? lol first off you claimed the average businessman is engaged in the same behaviour, and are implying that he probably didnt even do anything - that's why they settled for $128 MILLION in the shareholder lawsuit, which incidentally is separate from the his personal fines and his restrictions barring him from legally serving on any board of directors for a 5 year period. You know regular run of the mill average businessman stuff.
There's no need to drop "I am a part owner of a big company and it must be thus", just because you're a part owner of some blue collar company im just an average businessman relating my average buisnessman story of never having been charged with fraud. sorry that offends you. that was also some awesome condescension about both blue collar workers and businesses. lolthat is all glitters and rainbows doesn't mean that Melnyk is a crook and has a super long dubious history because he's been charged once for accounting fraud (failing to mention it was with 3 others), and that none of the allegations were ever proven.
now who's seeing rainbows

There's no need to put words in my mouth. I never called them criminals. It's all within their means to do so, and most companies do so. Don't be naive, it happens all the time, or else we wouldn't need lawyers/commissions/agencies.
yes you did, just because you dont see a problem with white collar crime and that "that's what lawyers are for" (which is an argument for the books) doesnt exclude it from criminal activity.
im naive because i disagree with you that most business people havent engaged in the same behaviour as Melnyk?? do you know what he was charged with?? he didnt overstate his car expenses here buddy.


But I'm sure in this perfect world you live in companies never try to hide their losses, earn money through honest ways, and do the best for their shareholders interest all the time?
said the man who didnt want me putting words in his mouth,lol

Sure it's your right, but currently there is zero factual, sourced, or proven evidence backing up his claims. If Yost was a real journalist, it would be libel. It pretty much already is, but Yost isn't a big enough name for Melnyk to bother.
im no expert but its either libel or its not. i suppose the flip side of that would be that if it was untrue and libellous he would have received a letter from a lawyer but since its not he hasnt

Allegations need proof. Currently Yost is saying: "I heard from my source, but I can't reveal him". That's a load of ******** that even the NHL has called him out on. That "watchlist"? It doesn't even exist.
the NHL said it doesn't?? well then case closed - now who's being naive. the CBC seems to find all of this interesting enough to be asking for details from Yost, also strange that 2 weeks ago CTC was awash in outside accountants having a look at things, probably just routine though.
so im guessing you also feel that Yost made everything up to drive traffic at hockey buzz then since the story seemed to be going away decided to gamble his future law career by concocting and executing a hacking scheme whereby he fake hacked his and employer's info and erased his data.
was his employer in on it too you think? (probably since its routine type behaviour by your average businessman) or was it a solo job by Yost?

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 10:59 PM
  #428
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,356
vCash: 500
^The world is full of crazy people. If your reason for believing a person is that it couldn't possibly be a bunch of things that seem ridiculous, I'd say you're keeping your mind closed. That's not say you have to put on a tin foil hat.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:11 PM
  #429
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Here's my take on the situation in general.

The Sens are sports team. They are here for our entertainment. Hockey is entertaining. Finance and business are not. The Sens aren't a public company, they aren't running in an election and thus in my opinion their off ice business isn't really something I care a whole lot about unless it directly affects me. Its my choice to buy a ticket. When I buy a ticket I'm not expecting dividends, financial return or them to improve healthcare or infrastructure or clean energy etc.

All I expect when I buy that ticket is to go to a hockey game and be entertained. That's it. Some people seem to be losing sight of that and embracing the negativity. Personally, I've had a great experience overall with this team and I decided to renewed my season tickets the minute I heard Bobby Ryan was a Senator.

Now, the whole issue is an interesting topic worth monitoring, but really its a waste of time until something happens like a huge rise in ticket prices, talk of relocation, or in two years time contract negotiations with many of the team's big names. But while the team is still here and competitive I don't see the point of this witch hunt unless Melnyk is using team finances to back the Syrian civil war or something that is actually relevant or destructive.

There's enough real **** going on in the world to actually get worked up over and the Sens and NHL are an escape from that imo. Guys like Yost seem to want to make it into something else and I don't particularly agree with that. I'm not saying bury your head in the sand, but at what point does a pass time and form of entertainment become the complete opposite. I think its getting there to be honest. The lockout is over (THANK GOD) and I don't need to be hearing all this half baked bs again for an entire summer. Walking checkbooks should not get this share of the spotlight in sports. That's just the way I see it. Feel free to continue and waste your limited time on Earth.
that all seems pretty reasonable.
the only part of any of this that i personally even care a little about is that I'm spending a fair chunk of money and i would say that it would be nice to know that my money isnt going to support other ventures.
or that at least it flows both ways.
that and the crazy intensity of the hatred for a guy that many here claim is a useless nobody who is really just writing interesting blogs about contradictory statements by the org which led to other things of interest being 'uncovered'.

It all started with salary disclosure, turn back time and just give gordie his bonus jacket and all will be well.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
  #430
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder
 
WORLDSTARHIPHOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Farhaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
so im guessing you also feel that Yost made everything up to drive traffic at hockey buzz then since the story seemed to be going away decided to gamble his future law career by concocting and executing a hacking scheme whereby he fake hacked his and employer's info and erased his data.
was his employer in on it too you think? (probably since its routine type behaviour by your average businessman) or was it a solo job by Yost?
It would honestly be easier to reply if you would stop putting words in my mouth. There's nothing more aggravating than someone who writes an argument based on what he states the other person is saying. Your whole arguments starts with "You're implying this, you're claiming that".

I also doubt Yost's entire future career of law is at stake because he's implicated in a hacking scheme (that you're proposing, not me, I've never proposed anything like that)on a blog that would likely never to be proven.

You're the first one that dropped your authority as a "part owner of a big company", forgive me for not crying a river when a businessman gets painted in a bad light when allegations against him were never proven.

Look, no one is hating on Yost. People are hating on the assumption train that Yost have provided for us. His assumptions are toxic, and many people are taking it as solid facts, which shouldn't be happening.

No one went after Yosts when he was just pumping out corsis, we're just not a fan one person attacking the other publicly when they don't have evidence.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:22 PM
  #431
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
^The world is full of crazy people. If your reason for believing a person is that it couldn't possibly be a bunch of things that seem ridiculous, I'd say you're keeping your mind closed. That's not say you have to put on a tin foil hat.
of course its possible, I've just assigned a "not very likely" level of possibility to that scenario. If im wrong i can assure ill find that story equally fascinating.
what i find odd is that everyone seems to believe that story (him hacking himself) entirely plausible but are completely dismissive of the possibility of anything else being possible.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:46 PM
  #432
Hammertyme
Registered User
 
Hammertyme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Gatineau/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
that all seems pretty reasonable.
the only part of any of this that i personally even care a little about is that I'm spending a fair chunk of money and i would say that it would be nice to know that my money isnt going to support other ventures.
or that at least it flows both ways.
that and the crazy intensity of the hatred for a guy that many here claim is a useless nobody who is really just writing interesting blogs about contradictory statements by the org which led to other things of interest being 'uncovered'.

It all started with salary disclosure, turn back time and just give gordie his bonus jacket and all will be well.
Just go to Toronto and look at their ticket prices. You think their fans care about where their ticket money goes. They are happy to gey seats. It is really none of your or anybodys business to know where his money goes.

Hammertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:48 PM
  #433
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Six View Post
It would honestly be easier to reply if you would stop putting words in my mouth. There's nothing more aggravating than someone who writes an argument based on what he states the other person is saying. Your whole arguments starts with "You're implying this, you're claiming that".

I also doubt Yost's entire future career of law is at stake because he's implicated in a hacking scheme (that you're proposing, not me)on a blog that would likely never to be proven.

You're the first one that dropped your authority as a "part owner of a big company", and forgive me for not crying a river when a businessman gets painted in a bad light when allegations against him were never proven.
allright i regret adding that part in which was done for colour and context since you had implied that i had it in for rich people, and that most people behave that way - which i disagree with. i also felt you were understating the severity of the charges against melnyk as well the nature of those settlements.
i dont believe you really think that a $128 million shareholder lawsuit settlement along with agreeing to being barred from serving on any boards for 5 years (melnyk specifically) is anything other than tacit admission of guilt to avoid the possibility of an ugly public trial.
i also think you'll find plenty of words being stuffed into both our mouths and ill agree its annoying so ill be fine ending it here.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:02 AM
  #434
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder
 
WORLDSTARHIPHOP's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Farhaven
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,972
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
allright i regret adding that part in which was done for colour and context since you had implied that i had it in for rich people, and that most people behave that way - which i disagree with. i also felt you were understating the severity of the charges against melnyk as well the nature of those settlements.
i dont believe you really think that a $128 million shareholder lawsuit settlement along with agreeing to being barred from serving on any boards for 5 years (melnyk specifically) is anything other than tacit admission of guilt to avoid the possibility of an ugly public trial.
i also think you'll find plenty of words being stuffed into both our mouths and ill agree its annoying so ill be fine ending it here.
We'll agree to disagree, we're fans of the same team, and I'm sure we both want the best of our team. It is purely my opinion that the negative accusations Yost is making is not good for this team, especially when it isn't seemingly backed with good journalism. Our ownership isn't going to change soon, I'm just afraid all of this will bring bad publicity for FAs, our existing players, and the UFAs we're going to need to sign in the near future.

I regret that i made it seem like all businessmen were criminals, I just wanted to point out what Melnyk did isn't such a huge monstrosity and a detriment to character that people are making it out to be.

WORLDSTARHIPHOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:16 AM
  #435
Wondercarrot
Casual Thor
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Just go to Toronto and look at their ticket prices. You think their fans care about where their ticket money goes. They are happy to gey seats. It is really none of your or anybodys business to know where his money goes.
you think id care where the money goes if we had the ability to spend to the max whenever we chose to?
also i just need to check but you are aware that before it became his money it was my money - and that i chose to give it to him because i like hockey and assume that it goes towards supporting the team.
if i wanted to invest in say Trimel that's where i would have put my money.
If this team can only spend $50 million on its own merits an that's just the way it is in this market im totally fine with that - it is what it is, and let the games begin and see if we cant consistently be smarter, develop better etc than the other teams.
if however we are being told this market can only support $50 million but in reality its due to additional unnecessary debt being piled on to support other businesses then i think its fair to say a lot of people would be pissed.

so while hes entitled to do that and it may be "none of my business" his business is to separate me from my money and that would be a very poor way to go about doing it.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:39 AM
  #436
Upgrayedd
Earn'em and Burn'em
 
Upgrayedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckman44 View Post
Just go to Toronto and look at their ticket prices. You think their fans care about where their ticket money goes. They are happy to gey seats. It is really none of your or anybodys business to know where his money goes.
Yeah i think many do, also many people do find this topic very interesting so im confused why so many on here simply want to dismiss all of this/ say we have no right to know whats going on (perhaps back in 1950 but it is 2013 nothing is sacred/private anymore).

Upgrayedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.