HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melnyk Interview (Regarding Alfredsson and teams finances)

Old
08-12-2013, 04:34 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Below View Post
30 teams in the league
Sens are 29th in spending

29th = middle?
oh common fuhrsie

now you are comparing spending by teams.
That is different from "spending to the floor"

We may be spending at the middle of the cap and floor, but we are NOT spending to the floor, regardless of our spending vs other teams.

08-12-2013, 04:37 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Says No View Post
The problem is with the wording. You are correct we are not a cap floor team, and we may not be one in the future. But we are on the bottom of the list of team expenditure. So if you don't want to call them a "floor" team, but a "bottom" team relative to what everyone one else is spending, you are both correct.
correct, and whilst not spending money like crazy when we know we CANNOT currently win a cup, in 3 to 4 years we will be in a position to make a run at the cup and sign players at the trade deadline to try to push us over... however that did not help Pittsburg this year did it ....

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:42 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanuuq View Post
correct, and whilst not spending money like crazy when we know we CANNOT currently win a cup, in 3 to 4 years we will be in a position to make a run at the cup and sign players at the trade deadline to try to push us over... however that did not help Pittsburg this year did it ....
I'll disagree with this one. I think our time is now with many contracts expiring in two years, and our team is up to the task to push.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:46 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I'll disagree with this one. I think our time is now with many contracts expiring in two years, and our team is up to the task to push.
I agree. If we were able to spend to the cap, a proven top 6 winger and top 4 RHS D would put us over the top I believe. We have shot in the next 2 years, not 3 or 4.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
I agree. If we can make it to the 3rd round, or at least have 5 home playoff dates this season there will be little excuse not to spend more and have an even better team in 2014-15.

The Senators are not a low revenue team. Probably 12th-8th in revenue in the NHL. With playoff dates the hockey operation should easily break even or make a profit.

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:50 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
For the last year I read posts about how Ottawa would kill it now with the deep farm system and ample cap space...

Not going to happen like that at all... the window is now with the cheap elc... teams financial problems will close the window before it even opened

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Legend Killer

I love how some people think we will magically be contenders 2-3-4 years down the road... Especially with the uncertainty of how our owner will spend, expiring contracts, etc... Thats not even accounting for other teams getting better...

IF we are a 50M team going forward then we wont be contending for much... The time is now... While Spezza and Ryan are under contract...

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 04:58 PM
JPGoHabsGo

Habs fan in peace just giving my 2 cents. Im not sure if its a right on the money opinion but I feel like your team is making the right steps to becoming its own brand. Problem with Ottawa was the divide between Hab and Leaf fans, and now needing to ditch those teams to cheer for the new home town team.

It appears as though now that your team is on the upswing once again, you will be attracting more fans and making more money. Hope Melnyk can get it together so that you don't need to shed up and coming players who want too much money. You guys are a fun rival to have. Much better than those guys in blue and white.

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:15 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
We may be spending at the middle of the cap and floor, but we are NOT spending to the floor, regardless of our spending vs other teams.
The floor will meet or exceed the current level of spending in a few years time.

If they have trouble spending this much, they're going to have even more trouble spending more down the road.

It looks like we will be a cap floor team.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:18 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:

Alfredsson was plan A, Ryan was B
All I can say is thank goodness the choice was made for us. Ryan is a 100 times better piece to add than re-signing Alfredsson.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
All I can say is thank goodness the choice was made for us. Ryan is a 100 times better piece to add than re-signing Alfredsson.
What about Alfie, Silf, Noesen, 1st rounder vs. Ryan?

Old
08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
The floor will meet or exceed the current level of spending in a few years time.

If they have trouble spending this much, they're going to have even more trouble spending more down the road.

I'd say we're a "hoping for a new owner" team.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

well no, i expect over the next 2-3 year that the team will increase it's ticket prices as the team gells. we are currently way under priced. the extra ticket prices will generate between 5 and 10 million in income to pay to keep our current players and maybe even to bring in some new talent.

Old
08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Iggy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown0 View Post
I'd say we're a "hoping for a new owner" team.
That's assuming Melnyk wants to sell. If the team is profitable by keeping salaries low then why would he sell?

Quote:
well no, i expect over the next 2-3 year that the team will increase it's ticket prices as the team gells. we are currently way under priced. the extra ticket prices will generate between 5 and 10 million in income to pay to keep our current players and maybe even to bring in some new talent.
If the team could make $5-10M more in ticket sales then why haven't they done so already? Why are they leaving money on the table?

My guess is current prices are what the market is willing to pay.

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
I was as big a fan of Silfverberg and the prospect of Noesen as anyone else, but I still think adding a bonafide sniper like Ryan was the best thing the team could have done - even if it meant losing 1 year of Alfie. I think he provides us with a very intimidating top line now to go with tremendous depth - and with the young players we have on the roster right now (Pageau, Greening, Condra, Conacher, Turris, Smith, etc.), there's gonna be depth for quite a while.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:33 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I was as big a fan of Silfverberg and the prospect of Noesen as anyone else, but I still think adding a bonafide sniper like Ryan was the best thing the team could have done - even if it meant losing 1 year of Alfie. I think he provides us with a very intimidating top line now to go with tremendous depth - and with the young players we have on the roster right now (Pageau, Greening, Condra, Conacher, Turris, Smith, etc.), there's gonna be depth for quite a while.
Yeah, you might be correct. Just trying to play devil's advocate, although I don't think we are a better team by a large margin. On paper it does look better, we'll see how it actually plays out.

Old
08-12-2013, 05:36 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
That's assuming Melnyk wants to sell. If the team is profitable by keeping salaries low then why would he sell?

If the team could make $5-10M more in ticket sales then why haven't they done so already? Why are they leaving money on the table?

My guess is current prices are what the market is willing to pay.
well, actually Melnyk promised not to raise prices, however i expect after next year to see the prices increase as the team becomes better, sometimes a sellout means you are not pricing your tickets high enough (simple economics) so I believe now that the lockout is gone, there will be a movement on the ticket prices to see what the market will accept

Old
08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Chip Chipperson

Quote:
Ryan, Macarthur >>> Alfie, Silf, Noesen, 1st rounder

Chip Chipperson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:41 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler280 View Post
Ryan, Macarthur >>> Alfie, Silf, Noesen, 1st rounder
Ryan makes 5.1
Alfredsson makes 5.5 (3.5 base)

Under both scenarios we could sign Macarthur

Old
08-12-2013, 05:43 PM
Tuna99

Quote:
For the last year I read posts about how Ottawa would kill it now with the deep farm system and ample cap space...

Not going to happen like that at all... the window is now with the cheap elc... teams financial problems will close the window before it even opened
why do you say that, that's not true

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:44 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
why do you say that, that's not true
of course it is... read countless posts from the fan base about how Ottawa is set to dominate with endless amounts of cap space

Old
08-12-2013, 05:47 PM
Micklebot

Quote:
Ryan makes 5.1
Alfredsson makes 5.5 (3.5 base)

Under both scenarios we could sign Macarthur
Not sure why you mention Alfredsson's base, as he is extremely unlikely not to get the bonus.

You're also ommiting the 900k that Silf gets, so it's 6.4 vs 5.562 (Ryan's actual salary). The only other thing is could we have signed him at 5.5? Perhaps it would have taken 6 for us, perhaps less, who knows. We do have reports that he was asking for 6 though, and that whatever we did initially offer was not enough.

Micklebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
Not sure why you mention Alfredsson's base, as he is extremely unlikely not to get the bonus.

You're also ommiting the 900k that Silf gets, so it's 6.4 vs 5.562 (Ryan's actual salary). The only other thing is could we have signed him at 5.5? Perhaps it would have taken 6 for us, perhaps less, who knows. We do have reports that he was asking for 6 though, and that whatever we did initially offer was not enough.
That makes sense... team went with the cheapest avenue... I like the trade, but we better re-sign Ryan

Old
08-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Topside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rals View Post
In simple terms.

Ticket prices are dictated by demand for product

Player salaries represent a cost-to-owner

those two things aren't directly related.
Is your argument that cap teams aren't better than cap floor teams? I guess I don't understand how they aren't related. The owner will lose money if player salaries are more than ticket sales. The problem is that there isn't the necessary demand for the Senators in Ottawa if they won't accept a price increase. The options would be an owner willing to lose money and keep current ticket prices, or move the team to a place where ticket prices can go up.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2013, 06:10 PM
Karl Eriksson

What about the relationship between success and revenue ?

Playoff games are big money makers, players play for free, prices get jacked, and the arena always sells out.

So in theory:

Spend more money on good players --> win more games --> make the playoffs --> go deep = make lots of money.

It's simplistic, but for marginally profitable teams like Ottawa the 'you gotta spend money to make money' adage might just be true to some extent.

There is also the transfer payment issue. EM can afford to lose money on the sens and still turn a profit when looking at Capital Tickets, the CTC and the Senators on a portfolio (consolidated) basis. He pays himself rent and ticket charges. Those are all private ventures, he can do what he wants with the retained earnings. Not saying he has to, but he can cross-subsidize.

Karl Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote