HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Stepan

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2013, 07:17 AM
kasper11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Fine, then we can use Kadri who is coming off a career year and got even less.
Kadri scored about the same as Stepan, is not as good in his own end, and most importantly, only has one good year. Stepan has scored 45+ points all three seasons (yes, he only had 44 last year, but that was in a 48 game season).

I think $3.2M would be an ok offer (a little on the low side, but not terrible) for a 45-50 point player. But that completely disregards last season when he played like a #1 center.

Of course, one shortened season does not mean that he should be paid like a top-line center. BUT, you can't ignore it either. He scored at a 75 point pace last season. So, pay him like a 60 point scorer who is good in his own end. Somewhere between his base line (his performance his first two seasons) and his potential.

On the open market, Stepan is easily worth $5M+. So, I don't see how asking for $3.5M without arbitration rights is anything other than very reasonable.

Old
09-25-2013, 07:54 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8se7en View Post
Most guys as established as Stepan (Very effective for over 2 years while on Rookie contract) get more than 3 million and don't sign Bridge contracts.

See Eberle, Skinner and Giroux
Giroux did sign a bridge contract. 3 years at $3.75 million.

His first non-ELC contract was much less lucrative than Skinner's (6 years at $5.725m) or Eberle's (6 years at $6m).

Old
09-25-2013, 10:28 AM
deckercky

Stepan's last season was the equivalent of Giroux's 2010-11 season. Had Giroux signed his second contract after that breakout season, he would have gotten a lot more.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad News Bears View Post
Franson (RFA rights) + Colbourne + 1st Round 2014

for

Stepan (RFA rights)
Hell no. Yuck.

Old
09-25-2013, 10:55 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan20 View Post
Does that leave enough cap room for RNH's extension kicking in and signing Justin Schultz next off-season?
Next year would take creative accounting for sure... I am guessing it would be like this???

Hall ($6M) RNH ($6M) UFA/Trade ($3.75M)
Perron ($3.8125M) Stepan ($6M) Eberle ($6M)
UFA/Trade ($1.5M) Gagner ($4.8M) Yakupov ($3.775M)
Joensuu ($0.95M) Gordon ($3M) Pitlick ($1M*)
R. Hamilton ($0.6M) W. Acton ($0.68M)

Smid ($3.5M) Petry ($3.25M*)
Ference ($3.25M) Schultz ($4M*)
Marincin ($0.87M) Fedun ($1M*)
B. Hunt ($0.55M)

Dubnyk/UFA ($4.5M*)
UFA ($1M)

=$69.7875M

Assuming $70M cap Oilers just squeak under... just need a tough winger to make room on line 1 (does not have to be great scorer) and a similar guy for Gags/Yak... gives us three good scoring lines

Old
09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
StarsFan74

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVicious View Post
After hearing Sathers comments I would looooove for ANY team to offer sheet Stepan at $15Million over 3 years. Would royally screw over Glen Sather, and the team would forfeit a 1st and 3rd for a 23 year old Number one center who is doing nothing but get better every year. C'mon Burkie/Feaster
After that public tantrum he threw after the Oilers offer-sheeted and signed Penner, you'd expect the guy to do the same to another team? I doubt it.

Old
09-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Quokka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
As an Oilers fan... would gladly OS Stepan at $6M/5 years... and not just because of injuries right now... yeah it is lots of money and means we give up 1st 2nd 3rd (would need to get our 2nd back from STL) but we have drafted high enough... time to go for right-now players

This team needs depth bad down the middle... Stepan RNH Gags Gordon would be solid group

-Martin Marincin to STL (6'4 LD who gives them even more depth) for 2nd '14
-Nick Schultz to COL for J.T. Wyman
-Ryan Jones waived
-1st 2nd 3rd to NYR via OS for Stepan

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Stepan-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Gordon-Brown
MacIntyre Wyman

Smid-Petry
Ference-J. Schultz
Grebeshkov/Larsen-Belov
Potter

$200K capspace
I don't the the Oilers have their second round pick because of the trade for Perron. They can only OS up to ~5.046 million. I think it would still be worth a shot but NYR would probably match.

Ah, I see I missed you re-aquring the 2nd. I think that would be unlikely, but I suppose it's possible.

Last edited by Quokka: 09-25-2013 at 11:31 AM. Reason: Can't read
Old
09-25-2013, 11:31 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quokka View Post
I don't the the Oilers have their second round pick because of the trade for Perron. They can only OS up to ~5.046 million. I think it would still be worth a shot but NYR would probably match.
Yes I said that... also see the trade in that post where I proposed moving Marincin to STL for that very pick...

Old
09-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
No way Mac-T would do that to Slats.

Is Stralman worth his 1.7M? Much better than Potter?
Surprisingly yes. He has been stellar defensively (I can't believe I am using that word with Anton Stralman. His play was a major reason that losing Staal didn't hurt us as bad as we thought it would.

09-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Stralman is so much better than Potter that if they were standing in the same room Potter would literally not be able to see him.

Stralman at 1.7 is one of the best values in the league.

Basically, Stralman is awesome and not going anywhere.
I love Stralman and he has been a pleasant surprise since the Rangers acquired him. Good skater, responsible defensively, has offensive upside, and can really be played in any situation. He would be a top-4 defense man on most teams (and personally, I believe he is a more well rounded defense man than Del Zotto, I've lost a little faith in MDZ at this point and would view him as more of a 3rd pairing defense man on our depth chart).

Beyond that, Stralman as been one of our better and reliable performers in the post season each of the last two years. At $1.7m/year he is a MUST to keep on this team.

In regards to Stepan, he's worth exactly what Sather is offering him. $2.8-3.2m per year. It's a similar offer to what Dubinsky, Del Zotto, and Callahan had to deal with. And at this point in team, Stepan wasn't any better than Dubinsky, Del Zotto or Callahan were.

He's a 2nd line center who had a great 48 game season. He hasn't done enough with his first three seasons to merit a significant contract. When he can prove that he is a 70 point two way center over two full 82 game seasons, on his bridge contract, then we can seriously consider giving him a Bergeron caliber contract. Until then, he hasn't done anything to merit a long term / high cap hit.

And no, I don't agree with the kind of contracts that have been given out to players like RNH. But, EDM clearly has a different philosophy regarding reacquiring young talent and a different philosophy with bridge contracts. Sather doesn't share that sentiment. He almost always does bridge contracts. And with a bridge contract, that's all Step is worth.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:02 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
After that public tantrum he threw after the Oilers offer-sheeted and signed Penner, you'd expect the guy to do the same to another team? I doubt it.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Burke's problem isn't with offer sheets, it's with offer sheets over paying and therefor inflating the salaries.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:04 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Yes I said that... also see the trade in that post where I proposed moving Marincin to STL for that very pick...
If you have to do "creative accounting" in order to make an offer sheet work, it's probably not that realistic.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:13 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Championship View Post
If you have to do "creative accounting" in order to make an offer sheet work, it's probably not that realistic.
I would say the whole Trade Rumors/Proposals forum is unrealistic... going to snipe all the other threads/posts too?

Old
09-25-2013, 12:33 PM
Claxton

Lol thinking Burke is going to condone an offer sheet to Stepan and screw over his best friend Sather.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:36 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
I would say the whole Trade Rumors/Proposals forum is unrealistic... going to snipe all the other threads/posts too?
There are certainly degrees of being unrealistic. When you fabricating a trade that HAS to happen in order to make something else happen, then you might as well just be making a thread for the "mythical" three way trade. Something's could be logical, and thus based on some sort of reality that is likely to happen. In this case you're forcing a player on another team, creating the value out what YOU need, and not what that other team needs, and then putting that back in the problem. You've left this trade thread, gone into another "hypothetical", and then brought it back here. It just increases the unlikeliness exponentially.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Keeping it Blue

Quote:
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Burke's problem isn't with offer sheets, it's with offer sheets over paying and therefor inflating the salaries.
Yes. That and doing it without prior contact to the GM owning the player.

Old
09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
There are certainly degrees of being unrealistic. When you fabricating a trade that HAS to happen in order to make something else happen, then you might as well just be making a thread for the "mythical" three way trade. Something's could be logical, and thus based on some sort of reality that is likely to happen. In this case you're forcing a player on another team, creating the value out what YOU need, and not what that other team needs, and then putting that back in the problem. You've left this trade thread, gone into another "hypothetical", and then brought it back here. It just increases the unlikeliness exponentially.
Err so like when the Oilers traded their 2nd in 2008 to get back their 3rd in 2008 from NYI to do the Penner offersheet??? Yes totally illogical... never happens in the real NHL

Tell you what... if you want to moderate the board apply I think they might be looking extra help... until then butt out

Old
09-25-2013, 01:01 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
But you have to actually convince us to move that pick back. And I highly doubt Mactavish would move Marincin for a second. He seems to be progressing nicely.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:05 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
But you have to actually convince us to move that pick back. And I highly doubt Mactavish would move Marincin for a second. He seems to be progressing nicely.
So you wouldn't do it for Marincin?

Old
09-25-2013, 01:08 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Err so like when the Oilers traded their 2nd in 2008 to get back their 3rd in 2008 from NYI to do the Penner offersheet??? Yes totally illogical... never happens in the real NHL

Tell you what... if you want to moderate the board apply I think they might be looking extra help... until then butt out
Didn't say it couldn't happen, didn't say that teams don't do it, I said that if you have to create a condition that necessitates an entire trade thread onto itself to make THIS thing happen, then the likelihood of that first thing happening is very low. On top of that, if it DOES happen, the rate at which it happens doesn't make it any more likely since it's a rare occurrence. In your example you talked of swapping picks, trading a higher one to get a lower one. Trading a player for a pick is different. Does St. Louis need Marincin? Why? Why would St. Louis trade a high pick for ANOTHER D man? If you original thought was more realistic, maybe it would have worked better. Not here. Sorry.
Didn't do any moderating, just pointing out how much more unlikely a thing is to happen when you do what you did, and I'm right.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:10 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
I didn't say I would or wouldnt. I like Marincin as a prospect. I said I don't see the blues or Oilers doing it. Right now we don't have any room on the left side for the next two years. Plus I see us holding onto our picks this year. We've traded away our first two out of the last three years. And we only made four picks last year.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:13 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Most teams just don't have the cap space to offer sheet him. The teams that do have internal budgets.
Except for Buffalo. They have the cap space, no internal budget anymore, and they happen to be in need of a top center. Good thing Regier hates offer sheets.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:17 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
I can't imagine that Stepan expects an offer sheet. It's unlikely most seasons and even more so this season.

His leverage is that Richards/Brassard can't get it done, Rangers lose games and the heat will be on Sather to get it done.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Championship*
#Joel&Ellie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I can't imagine that Stepan expects an offer sheet. It's unlikely most seasons and even more so this season.

His leverage is that Richards/Brassard can't get it done, Rangers lose games and the heat will be on Sather to get it done.
I certainly agree with the bottom portion, however, with Step needing to play and play well to make Team USA, coupled with the fact that he's losing money, how long can he afford to wait? If the Rangers are willing to let the month of October go by before they make that assessment, Step might have hurt himself even more.

Old
09-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Neatman

Quote:
Moving Marincin for a second would be a terrible move. Especially to make a shot-in-the-dark offersheet that would likely be matched. Absolute crazy talk.

Really, the guy could be the Oiler's second best prospect at this point...

Closed Thread