HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

HFNHL Olympics Watch

Old
08-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Hossa

vCash: 500
HFNHL Olympics Watch

So with the orientation camps ongoing, I thought it would be interesting to see which teams will be well represented at the Olympics, at least based off preliminary rosters.

For the Canucks:

Canada

Carey Price - One of five goalies at the Canada camp, and next to Roberto Luongo the most likely to make the final roster. Needs a strong start to secure that spot though.

Kris Letang - Likely to make the roster, but in tough with Canada's depth of right-handed shots. Played ball hockey on a pair with Marc Methot yesterday.

Dan Hamhuis - A solid candidate for a LD spot, particularly if players like Bouwmeester and M. Staal struggle.

United States

Bobby Ryan - Returning player is basically a lock, short of injury.

David Backes - A lock. David Poile has said he is part of the leadership core.

Ryan Callahan - See Backes.

Justin Faulk - US NDTP darling is coming off an outstanding year and has a good shot at a spot. Could be youngest player in the tournament for the contending teams.

Kyle Palmieri - Invited to the camp, but a long shot at this point. USA has a lot of right-handed shots. Has lots of international experience though at WJC and WC.

Beau Bennett - See Palmieri, without the international experience.

Czech Republic

Jaromir Jagr - Seems like the favourite to be captain, if not his country's flag bearer, as in 2010.

David Krejci - A lock for the roster, probable first line centre.

Russia

Evgeni Malkin - Nuff said.

Switzerland

Damien Brunner - May not be a lock, despite being arguably the best Swiss forward in the world right now. Has only twice played internationally for Switzerland, and was not in Vancouver despite being the highest scoring Swiss player in the NLA that year, as was not viewed as compatible with the national team's playing style. Still, hard to imagine he is not there.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Interesting. Sounds like Brunner was not particularly well-liked by his former NHL teammates - I wonder if that's a feeling shared by his countrymen?

Ohio Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
RedWingsLegacy

Brunner probably won't even be in NA this year sounds like an Egomanic that no one wants to sign. If he wasn't I'm sure he'd have be signed in the NHL now

RedWingsLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:52 PM
Hossa

Gents, you're supposed to provide your own team's watch list, not character assassinate Damien Brunner.

And until Doug can cite a link to this supposed character problem, I'm assuming it's like the UFA trading rule change which he dreamed up last week.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:04 PM
SenatorsGM

The Senators have:

Sweden:

Henrik Zetterberg is likely to replace Nik lidstrom as captain of yet another team this year

USA:

Ryan Miller battling to maintain the starters role in goal.
Blake Wheeler has the size and speed to maximize international ice.

Canada:

Reigning Norris trophy winner PK Subban looks to take his exciting brand of hockey to the Olympic stage for the first time.

SenatorsGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Gents, you're supposed to provide your own team's watch list, not character assassinate Damien Brunner.
. Fair enough. Working on Columbus' (short) list.

Quote:
And until Doug can cite a link to this supposed character problem, I'm assuming it's like the UFA trading rule change which he dreamed up last week.
Haha, also fair. Although in that case I did have another corroborating source confirming it was discussed at some length.

In Brunner's case it was on the radio - PTS, I believe - where people seem more willing to share controversial views verbally rather than in print. But without a link, I shouldn't be slamming another team's players. (Even if it was just meant as idle curiosity.) My bad. 😳

Last edited by Ohio Jones: 08-28-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 05:23 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Jones View Post
. Fair enough. Working on Columbus' (short) list.

Haha, also fair. Although in that case I did have another corroborating source confirming it was discussed at some length.

In Brunner's case it was on the radio - PTS, I believe - where people seem more willing to share controversial views verbally rather than in print. But without a link, I shouldn't be slamming another team's players. (Even if it was just meant as idle curiosity.) My bad. 😳
I actually don't care one way or another about Brunner. If it helps explain why he is unsigned, that's better than having no idea. I just find it odd because of how much positive press he got in the playoffs on that kid line with Nyquist and Andersson (see this example), so while it's possible that was all BS, I think it's also likely the attitude question is pure speculation. Honestly, I think Brunner (or more likely his agent) tried to overplay their hand in free agency after half a season of streaky play, and it's not much more than that.

But the national team issue is, from what I know, more of a style of play question. Switzerland has traditionally played a very set style, and expects all four lines to play the same way every shift. It's part of why they are effective in keeping teams close, although they have loosened up with a view to better developing skilled youngsters. But Brunner never really bought into that style, and it's part of why he bounced around the NLA and NLB until being given free reign in Zug.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:11 PM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
This explains everything

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
This explains everything
Rickrolled.

Old
08-29-2013, 01:40 AM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Better than I thought...

Jackets Olympics Hopefuls

Credit to Kevin McGran for his useful summary: http://m.thestar.com/#!/sportsnews/n...8a5b00a8df742f

Canada:
Eric Staal - LOCK. Proven international veteran was among the top scorers in the NHL's abbreviated 2013 campaign. Likely to line up at 2nd line LW beside Jonathan Toews.

US:
Brandon Dubinsky - Dark Horse. Not at orientation camp, but thought to be among the next tier of players thy could earn an invite from GM David Poile with a strong start to the 2013-14 season, particularly if injuries hit the forward ranks.

Sweden:
Johan Franzen - LOCK. Has played 45 games for Sweden, and will be part of a veteran core looking for one last shot at Gold.

Carl Gunnarsson - Probable. A deep blueline boasts some dynamic puck movers, so Gunnarsson (over 50 games played for Sweden) should be called on as a steadying influence. Will need a strong start to prove that last season's slump was due to injury, not regression.

Russia:
Nikolai Kulemin - LOCK. One of few forwards capable of playing physically and providing sound defence - not to mention his offensive chemistry with Malkin. Could surprise with a top-6 role at even strength. Over 70 international games played for Russia.

Finland:
Kimmo Timonen - LOCK. Over 100 games played for Finland. Still one of the top defenders in the NHL, at 37. 'Nuff said.

Czech:
Ladislav Smid - LOCK. Played over 50 games for Czech - although granted most of those were as a kid. But he played well at the Worlds, and anyway, can you name six better Czech defenders right now? Can you name three?

Old
08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
For the Flamettes:

Nobody

Last edited by MatthewFlames: 08-29-2013 at 09:39 AM.
MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

For the Blues, a total of 16 players will get consideration, although it might end up only being half that many who are in Sochi:

Team Canada
  1. Jeff Carter (possible)
  2. Joe Thornton (possible)
  3. Martin St. Louis (possible)
  4. Jordan Eberle (possible)
  5. Marc Staal (possible)
All five have a shot, although none are locks. One would think St. Louis would be a lock as the Art Ross winner and Stamkos set-up man, but many think he might not make it. Eberle is probably the longest shot to make it, given how stacked the team is on the RW and with centermen converting to the wing. Carter and Eberle are probably competing for a depth spot. Thornton might grab a bottom 6 center spot, as he is has done in past, although no sure thing given the bigger ice in Sochi. Staal would be a great compliment to one of the offensive d-men, but his health might hold him back.

Team Sweden
  1. Daniel Alfredsson (probable)
  2. Frederik Petersson (possible)
  3. Jhonas Enroth (possible)
  4. Erik Gustafsson (long shot)
Alfredsson was not named to the preliminary squad, but he had yet to announce his intentions to play this year. Seems likely to be on the team. Petersson has an outside shot, as he stood out for the team at the WC, as did Enroth (WC top goalie) and Gustafsson (led Sweden in ice-time), although Gustafsson would have to turn some heads for the Flyers early in the year to leap past some of the vets.

Team USA
  1. Jimmy Howard (probable)
  2. Dustin Byfuglien (probable)
Neither are sure things to make the team, but both seem more likely to make the squad that not.

Czech
  1. Vaclav Prospal (probable)
  2. Michael Frolik (possible)
Prospal seems likely to make the team, unless he suddenly retires. Frolik has an outside shot given his experience with their international team, his speed and two-way play.

Russia
  1. Viktor Tikhonov (Dark horse)
Tikhonov has been a standout in the KHL and at the WC for Russia, and given they like to reward their KHL players somewhat, he might have a shot if he has another big year in the KHL.

Slovakia
  1. Zdeno Chara (Lock)
He will be captain and play 30 minutes per game I suspect.

Switzerland
  1. Roman Josi (Lock)
He was MVP at the WC and will likely be one of their most important players.

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote