HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Canadian Politics - Part VI Pack Edition

Closed Thread

Old
08-23-2013, 08:11 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Mist View Post
Why wasn't he allowed to ask a question?
Because this isn't Communist China where you can do that sort of thing!

Old
08-23-2013, 08:18 PM
The Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reg Season SC View Post
Because this isn't Communist China where you can do that sort of thing!
No.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...mp-tussle.html

Quote:
As is now common practice at Harper news conferences, the number of questions is decided by the prime minister’s staff and announced to members of the media, who determine by consensus which issues need to be addressed and which reporters are best to pose them.

Political reporters have long complained about the practice, but Harper’s office for years has refused to do things any other way.

On this trip, the prime minister’s deputy director of communications, Stephen Lecce, changed the established practice and instead alternated which reporters he would call upon — one group the first day, the remainder the next.

The two Chinese-language reporters on the trip did not ask for questions until Friday.

In advance of Harper’s news conference at Raglan Mine, reporters were told they would get either four or five questions. On this trip, the fifth question has gone to a reporter from the local media.

In the absence of a local reporter, reporters agreed the fifth question should go to Li. He wanted to ask about foreign investment in Canada's natural resources sector. But Lecce said in the absence of a local reporter there would be only four questions allocated, though he offered to see if a fifth would be allowed.

Among themselves, the travelling media agreed Li should have a chance to quiz the prime minister on a topic that mattered to his readers and would provide the rest of the reporters with potentially useful material.

“I wanted to clarify the federal government policy and the regulations toward foreign state-owned company investment,” Li said later.

The other media members offered to dump one of their questions so Li could ask his. At first it seemed that plan would be acceptable. In fact, Li said Lecce asked him his name in order to add it to his list.

In the end, Lecce stuck to four questions in the alternating format and refused to allow Li to occupy a slot voluntarily vacated by a Canadian reporter.

Old
08-23-2013, 08:20 PM
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls

You're just a ton of fun.

Old
08-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Harper should have taken the question and said "No comment"

Old
08-23-2013, 11:22 PM
DoyleG
Mr. Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Harper should have taken the question and said "No comment"
What?

And have no fun picking on mouthpieces for the Chinese Communist Party?

Old
08-24-2013, 02:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Despite rumours and speculation to the contrary PM Harper confirmed he’ll lead the Conservative party into the next election, scheduled for October 2015.

Reporters raised the issue with the prime minister publicly while he was on his annual summer tour of the Arctic, asking Harper point-blank if he would be leading the Conservatives to the polls just over two years from now.

"Of course," he replied. "I'm actually disappointed you feel the need to ask that question."

Old
08-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Wetcoaster

On Thursday NDP MP Olivia Chow unveiled a 'life-size' Jack Layton (her deceased husband) statue in Toronto on the second anniversary of his death. The statue is called Jack's got your back. Stronger Together: The Layton Memorial features an empty seat where visitors will be encouraged to hop aboard and take pictures of the former city councillor and ardent cycling advocate.

Among the dignitaries in attendance at the ceremony was that other well-know cycling advocate, TO Mayor Rob Ford.

NDP MP Olivia Chow will mark the second anniversary of her husband's passing by unveiling a bronze sculpture to honour the late NDP Leader -- a "life-size" monument of Jack Layton on the back seat of a bicycle built for two that, according to the release, was "donated through fundraising by the Ontario Federation of Labour."

The ceremony that will also "officially recognize" the newly renamed Jack Layton Ferry Terminal.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...-unveiled.html

Old
08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
Wetcoaster

A victims of communism memorial is to be built near Parliament Hill.
A monument commemorating victims of communism will be erected near Parliament Hill.

A group called Tribute to Liberty will receive up to $1.5 million from the federal government to build a memorial on the lawn between the Library and Archives building and the Supreme Court.

Conservative cabinet ministers Jason Kenney and Chris Alexander made the announcement Friday at the site of the planned memorial.

It's expected the memorial will be finished late next year.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...communism.html

Earlier this year the federal government announced that a national Holocaust memorial will be placed across from the War Museum.
The federal government has unveiled its chosen site for Canada's new National Holocaust Monument.

The monument will be located near downtown Ottawa, just down the road from Parliament Hill and across the street from the National War Museum, where the announcement was made.

Tim Uppal, the minister of state for democratic reform, calls the memorial a testament to the importance of preserving the memory of the Holocaust.

"This central location will attract a large number of visitors. It will encourage people to reflect upon the events of the Holocaust, remember the victims, and pay tribute to the survivors," Uppal said.

"It will also encourage people to reflect on the responsibilities each of us has to protect human rights and dignities."

Immigration Minister Jason Kenney was also on hand for the announcement.

"The Holocaust stands alone in the annals of human history for its systematic cruelty and for the brutal murder of six million innocent Jewish men, women and children," Kenney said.

"It is essential that we never forget the lessons of the past and continue to educate future generations about the unique horror of the Holocaust. This important monument is one way that we can do so."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...te-ottawa.html

Old
08-25-2013, 03:23 PM
Pink Mist
RIP MM*

Can we have a Victims of Capitalism Monument too?

Old
08-25-2013, 03:42 PM
Puck
Ninja

tueedcar17co1_1396366cl-8.jpg

Old
08-26-2013, 06:35 PM
Jamie Thomas

vCash: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC
Mac Harb is stepping down from the Senate, dropping his legal action and repaying the remaining $180,000 the Senate says he owes for inappropriate living and travel expense claims.
So one gone, will the 3 others fraud follow? Doubt it, CPC and accountability ain't too compatible.

Old
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
So one gone, will the 3 others fraud follow? Doubt it, CPC and accountability ain't too compatible.
I think we should wait a few days before we start attacking the other senators for not resigning as "quickly" as Harb did.

Old
08-26-2013, 08:47 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Thomas View Post
So former Liberal MP and Liberal Senator Mac Harb pays back $231,000 in expenses and retires with a full pension all the while protesting he was treated unfairly and not given "due process".
A spokesman for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation says Harb can collect his full MP pension immediately. That's worth $122,989 a year and is fully indexed, Gregory Thomas told CBC News.

The pension over Harb's lifetime could be worth "$5,020,790... assuming living [until] age 90 which is average life span of pension plan members. In the event of his passing, his surviving spouse will collect 60 per cent of his pension for life, which is not included in this calculation," Thomas wrote in an email.
Harb reiterated in his statement that the Senate internal economy committee treated him "very unfairly," and said he wanted "to make the point that every Canadian, even senators, should be entitled to due process."

"I always followed Senate rules on expenses, and filed my expense claims in a timely and transparent manner. At no time did anyone suggest my claims were invalid or questionable. And from what I could tell, most Senators made similar claims."
Harb has also dropped his legal action. The RCMP investigation continues.
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/s...penses-retires

Old
08-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Wetcoaster

As Senator (and former General) Romeo Dallaire has learned one should check out organizations before agreeing to a speaking engagement.

Former U.S. congressman and three-time candidate for president, Ron Paul is the keynote speaker.
Senator Romeo Dallaire has pulled out of a speaking engagement organized by a fringe Catholic group accused of anti-Semitism, but his name is still being promoted alongside those of anti-abortionists, conspiracy theorists and former U.S. presidential candidate Ron Paul.

A Dallaire aide said Monday that the retired Canadian Forces general was "embarrassed" and "really unhappy" to have been accidentally mixed up with a southern Ontario group called the Fatima Centre, which is organizing a conference next month in Niagara Falls, Ont.

The Fatima Centre is a Catholic organization whose publications include references to "the duty incumbent upon Catholics of... opposing Jewish Naturalism" and to "Satan's plans against the Church," which include "the granting of full citizenship to the Jews." The Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center, a non-profit that lists organizations it deems to be hate groups, says the Fatima Centre is part of a movement that is "perhaps the single largest group of hard-core anti-Semites in North America."

Other speakers scheduled for the conference include the president of the U.S.-based John Birch Society, a right-wing American group that campaigns against the U.S. Federal Reserve, says the UN is trying to control "all human activity" and claims Nelson Mandela is "carrying forward a communist program of terrorism and genocide."

The conference's keynote speaker is Paul, the former U.S. congressman and three-time candidate for president. Photos of Paul and Dallaire feature in ads for the conference on the internet and on a billboard near the Peace Bridge to the U.S.

"There is absolutely no way that General Dallaire would be associated with these speakers," his personal secretary, David Hyman, said in an interview Monday.

Hyman said it stemmed from an oversight. The senator's appearance at the conference was booked last March through the agency that arranges his speaking engagements, the National Speakers Bureau.

But when the agency called, they named a different group that was seeking to have the former lieutenant-general come and speak about the Rwandan genocide.

"It was called the National Pilgrim Virgin of Canada. We didn't have a clue that this other organization that were sponsoring his talk had anything to do with Fatima," Hyman said.

In fact, National Pilgrim Virgin of Canada is the official name for the Fatima Centre.

Dallaire's staff only found out last week through a civil rights lawyer.

"He said, 'Do you know who this group is? I'm really disappointed that the senator is going to this conference,' " Hyman said. "And I looked, I went to their site, I downloaded the list of other speakers and started to look at them."

Hyman blames himself for the lack of due diligence.
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/r...h-fringe-group

Old
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
As Senator (and former General) Romeo Dallaire has learned one should check out organizations before agreeing to a speaking engagement.

Former U.S. congressman and three-time candidate for president, Ron Paul is the keynote speaker.
Senator Romeo Dallaire has pulled out of a speaking engagement organized by a fringe Catholic group accused of anti-Semitism, but his name is still being promoted alongside those of anti-abortionists, conspiracy theorists and former U.S. presidential candidate Ron Paul.

A Dallaire aide said Monday that the retired Canadian Forces general was "embarrassed" and "really unhappy" to have been accidentally mixed up with a southern Ontario group called the Fatima Centre, which is organizing a conference next month in Niagara Falls, Ont.

The Fatima Centre is a Catholic organization whose publications include references to "the duty incumbent upon Catholics of... opposing Jewish Naturalism" and to "Satan's plans against the Church," which include "the granting of full citizenship to the Jews." The Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center, a non-profit that lists organizations it deems to be hate groups, says the Fatima Centre is part of a movement that is "perhaps the single largest group of hard-core anti-Semites in North America."

Other speakers scheduled for the conference include the president of the U.S.-based John Birch Society, a right-wing American group that campaigns against the U.S. Federal Reserve, says the UN is trying to control "all human activity" and claims Nelson Mandela is "carrying forward a communist program of terrorism and genocide."

The conference's keynote speaker is Paul, the former U.S. congressman and three-time candidate for president. Photos of Paul and Dallaire feature in ads for the conference on the internet and on a billboard near the Peace Bridge to the U.S.

"There is absolutely no way that General Dallaire would be associated with these speakers," his personal secretary, David Hyman, said in an interview Monday.

Hyman said it stemmed from an oversight. The senator's appearance at the conference was booked last March through the agency that arranges his speaking engagements, the National Speakers Bureau.

But when the agency called, they named a different group that was seeking to have the former lieutenant-general come and speak about the Rwandan genocide.

"It was called the National Pilgrim Virgin of Canada. We didn't have a clue that this other organization that were sponsoring his talk had anything to do with Fatima," Hyman said.

In fact, National Pilgrim Virgin of Canada is the official name for the Fatima Centre.

Dallaire's staff only found out last week through a civil rights lawyer.

"He said, 'Do you know who this group is? I'm really disappointed that the senator is going to this conference,' " Hyman said. "And I looked, I went to their site, I downloaded the list of other speakers and started to look at them."

Hyman blames himself for the lack of due diligence.
http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/r...h-fringe-group
I came across a flyer for this event while in Ottawa, Ron Paul was being touted as attending, as was Dallaire; interestingly enough, they were also touting another prominent Canadian Politician, who seemed to have made a terrible mistake in accepting the invitation and pulled out. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be breaking any laws if I said who it was, as I'm pretty sure these Fatima people weren't doing any secret dealings, but meh.

Old
08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordski View Post
I came across a flyer for this event while in Ottawa, Ron Paul was being touted as attending, as was Dallaire; interestingly enough, they were also touting another prominent Canadian Politician, who seemed to have made a terrible mistake in accepting the invitation and pulled out. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be breaking any laws if I said who it was, as I'm pretty sure these Fatima people weren't doing any secret dealings, but meh.
You would not be breaking any laws - truth is an absolute defence.

So now you have whetted our appetites, who pray tell who was it.

BTW here is the current list of speakers including:
Cornelia Ferreira (Author of various books exposing the New Age Movement and Feminism)

The Hon. Mario Borghezio (Member of the European Union Parliament, Mr. Borghezio wants Europe to return to its Catholic roots.)

Brian McCall, J.D. (He is an attorney, writer, scholar and University Professor of Law. He explains the economic crisis as a result of a failure to adhere to Catholic principles.)

Barbara Skurnowicz (She is currently founder and president of HealthCare Professionals for Vaccine Choice in Michigan, an organization seeking legislation to prevent forced vaccinations as a condition of employment in Michigan for health care workers.)

Joe Scheidler (Perhaps the world’s foremost pro-life warrior, Mr. Scheidler is National Director of the pro-life Action League and has fought for the unborn on the front lines for decades. Known as the Green Beret of the pro-life movement, he has been prosecuted, persecuted and threatened and remains undaunted.)
http://www.fatimathepathtopeace.org/...&id=5&Itemid=9

This covers almost the complete wack-a-doodle gamut of speakers.

Old
08-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
You would not be breaking any laws - truth is an absolute defence.

So now you have whetted our appetites, who pray tell who was it.

BTW here is the current list of speakers including:
Cornelia Ferreira (Author of various books exposing the New Age Movement and Feminism)

The Hon. Mario Borghezio (Member of the European Union Parliament, Mr. Borghezio wants Europe to return to its Catholic roots.)

Brian McCall, J.D. (He is an attorney, writer, scholar and University Professor of Law. He explains the economic crisis as a result of a failure to adhere to Catholic principles.)

Barbara Skurnowicz (She is currently founder and president of HealthCare Professionals for Vaccine Choice in Michigan, an organization seeking legislation to prevent forced vaccinations as a condition of employment in Michigan for health care workers.)

Joe Scheidler (Perhaps the world’s foremost pro-life warrior, Mr. Scheidler is National Director of the pro-life Action League and has fought for the unborn on the front lines for decades. Known as the Green Beret of the pro-life movement, he has been prosecuted, persecuted and threatened and remains undaunted.)
http://www.fatimathepathtopeace.org/...&id=5&Itemid=9

This covers almost the complete wack-a-doodle gamut of speakers.
The name rhymes with Gob Pickleson.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

My pathetic innuendos aside, the Duffy affair might just be headed back into the spotlight.

Quote:
In the emails, Duffy claimed that Tkachuk, who until recently was the chair of the Senate internal economy committee, told him he didn’t meet the Senate’s residency requirements because he lived in Ottawa.

Duffy, who represents Prince Edward Island in the Senate, did not have a valid P.E.I. health card and was not on the voters’ list in that province in 2011. Property tax records also showed that Duffy and his wife were considered non-resident owners of their P.E.I cottage.

Tkachuk allegedly told Duffy that if he went along with Wright’s bailout offer, the Senate committee would throw out the residency issue and go easy on him in the audit of his expenses.

Tkachuk did not return phone calls seeking comment.
http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/wrigh...#ixzz2d8SlDISz

Old
08-26-2013, 10:54 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concordski View Post
My pathetic innuendos aside, the Duffy affair might just be headed back into the spotlight.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/wrigh...#ixzz2d8SlDISz
Good. Hopefully they put the boots to Duffy, Wallin and Brazeau. Harb should be in prison for what he did.

Old
08-26-2013, 10:59 PM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Good. Hopefully they put the boots to Duffy, Wallin and Brazeau. Harb should be in prison for what he did.
This article seems to imply that Tkachuk knew about Wright's bailout offer and encouraged Duffy to take it, which would take this scandal beyond the 4 clowns.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Transplanted Caper

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/...ening-silence/

Quote:
Nearly a quarter century has passed since the RCMP decided it was no big deal for Baltej Singh Dhillon to serve while wearing his turban. Although the issue was passionately debated at the time, most Canadians quickly realized that a civil servant’s headgear hasn’t much to do with his job performance.

Yet all these years later, Pauline Marois’ provincial government in Quebec — along with many of her supporters, if polls are to be believed — still haven’t come to terms with this fact. The intolerant spirit behind the Parti Québécois’ proposed “Charter of Quebec Values” betrays the sort of sour antipathy toward religious symbols that the rest of the country said goobye to in the 1980s and ’90s.

According to a Journal de Montréal report last week, Ms. Marois’ government intends to pursue legislation such that “public employees, including civil servants, judges, police, doctors, nurses and teachers, would be forbidden from wearing ‘conspicuous’ religious symbols such as the Jewish kippa, the Muslim hijab and the Sikh turban.” It’s hard to say whether Ms. Marois is a genuine xenophobe looking to sanitize the province’s workforce in her own secularist Québécois image; or whether she is merely seeking to stir up her nativist base with an ugly wedge issue; or a little of both. But whatever her motivation, the legislation is an insult to Canadian values.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
Editorial is spot on. Mulcair is a coward.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Editorial is spot on. Mulcair is a coward.
I find the Conservative victim complex wrong nine times out of ten, but if a Conservative MP proposed half of what Marois is, the NDP would be losing their mind over it.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Puck
Ninja

Quote:
I had this discussion almost a decade ago during a previous 'Muslim scarves' flap. This (Muslim) friend at work comes from French North Africa, educated in France, and she defended the state banning of scarves and other religious emblems. She explained the French historical perspective, she agreed with it and she told me I was thinking like a typical Canadian (she understood where I was coming from but disagreed). Anyway, the Quebec thinking parallels that in France, separation of state and religion on steroids (as a consequence of the French Revolution). So Quebec is copycatting French law and thinking, even though I am sure their very catholic ancestors would disagree (resistance to taking down crucifix in schools). The only reason the crucifix remains in l'Assemblee Generale is that it's regarded as a cultural heritage symbol.

p.s. if you went over to one of many HF God threads here and proposed banning religious symbols, the agnostic legion might all agree. It depends how you frame the narrative, as oppressing a Sikh wearing a turban or secular state over religion (agnostic modernism vs traditions, science vs superstition).

Last edited by Puck: 08-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old
08-27-2013, 12:10 PM
Free Torts

Quote:
I find the Conservative victim complex wrong nine times out of ten, but if a Conservative MP proposed half of what Marois is, the NDP would be losing their mind over it.
Yep. This is just Mulcair refusing to look reality in the face and take the PQ to task because he's afraid it'll cost him a lot of seats, but this kind of crap is par for the course when you're dealing with the PQ. Separation isn't a winning strategy anymore, so let's go with xenophobia.

Closed Thread