HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Closed Thread

Old
04-01-2014, 12:42 AM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
I want a team but I don't want the Rays. We got our team stolen from us, I wouldn't wish that on Tampa fans. At this point, it would be hard for me to form a commitment with a team that isn't the Expos, and it would be near impossible to do it with someone else's team. Expansion or nothing for me IMO

Old
04-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Road Rage

vCash: 500

https://scontent-b-sea.xx.fbcdn.net/...10308469_o.jpg

Wow.

Old
04-01-2014, 09:09 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
I love the Big O. Needs to be revamped though.

Old
04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Russian General View Post
I love the Big O. Needs to be revamped though.
Needs to be a new stadium :p baseball won't come back to the Big O permanently

Old
04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Gaétan Frigon was in town tonight for a conference and I asked about his opinion on Baseball coming back in Montréal. He said he wasn't very optimistic but the numbers drawn last weekend intrigued him.

Also, here's a nice solution to finance the stadium

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/blogu...cest-possible/
I like that idea and didn't know there was a lot of rich immigrant that wanted to come to canada.

Old
04-01-2014, 09:57 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
I like that idea and didn't know there was a lot of rich immigrant that wanted to come to canada.
you have to be careful with all this. The people saying this are people pro baseball. It has been forwarded that some 1500 china people are willing to buy into this ( well maybe and maybe not) once Quebec collects some of the money will Quebec ask ME to make up the difference? Here we go again! Lots of question here...
Lets NOT forget why the expos are gone, Baseball does NOT have a level playing field. Their is NO salary cap. 6 or so US teams control everything.
Same as 20 years ago after many many MLB promises to get a cap.
would you continue to BUY tickets only to see the NEW Expos lose most game due to this imbalance. The same anger would come right back.

Old
04-01-2014, 10:00 AM
BrimStone64

Anybody know what Expos logo stands for?

Old
04-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I want a team but I don't want the Rays. We got our team stolen from us, I wouldn't wish that on Tampa fans. At this point, it would be hard for me to form a commitment with a team that isn't the Expos, and it would be near impossible to do it with someone else's team. Expansion or nothing for me IMO
I get what you're saying and I sort of feel the same. Same reason why I don't want Phoenix to move... or I didn't like the Thrashers moving. It sucks so much for the fans that do exist, regardless of how many or few there are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Anybody know what Expos logo stands for?
Montreal Expos Baseball.

The entire logo is an M, the red part is an E and the blue part is a B.

Old
04-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Burke the Legend

People arguing about tax money going to the stadium lost that one when $400 million public dollars were spent on a new NHL hockey arena for Quebec city.

Old
04-01-2014, 10:20 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
People arguing about tax money going to the stadium lost that one when $400 million public dollars were spent on a new NHL hockey arena for Quebec city.
same people complained about this also.

Old
04-01-2014, 10:25 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
same people complained about this also.
I am not exactly enthusiastic about the concept either (at least the federal government has taken a hard line against funding stadiums/arenas, besides for international events), but we just gotta accept that is reality on how things are done here. Again after the Quebec city arena got all that money 2 years ago, there is no chance a Montreal MLB stadium wouldn't either.

Old
04-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

I don't want the stadium to be publicly funded since there are many more pressing issues.

That being said, I wouldn't be protesting it, since it would mean I get a baseball team

Old
04-01-2014, 10:33 AM
ClasslessGuy

I would have to see a study on how much the provincial/federal government would get from that stadium or team before having an opinion on this.

edit: talking about public funding in general

Old
04-01-2014, 10:47 AM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
you have to be careful with all this. The people saying this are people pro baseball. It has been forwarded that some 1500 china people are willing to buy into this ( well maybe and maybe not) once Quebec collects some of the money will Quebec ask ME to make up the difference? Here we go again! Lots of question here...
Lets NOT forget why the expos are gone, Baseball does NOT have a level playing field. Their is NO salary cap. 6 or so US teams control everything.
Same as 20 years ago after many many MLB promises to get a cap.
would you continue to BUY tickets only to see the NEW Expos lose most game due to this imbalance. The same anger would come right back.
Hmmm tell that to the rays, athletics, pirates and Indians who all made the playoffs despite being in the bottom 10 spenders. Of the 10 teams that made the playoffs 5 had a payroll over $100M while the other 5 had a payroll under $90M. Actually it's funny that the same amount of bottom 10 payroll teams made the playoffs as top 10 payroll teams.

But I'm interested to hear which 6 or so teams control everything? Because **** must suck for the other 24 teams that already have no chance. Of the last 10 World Series Winners only 4 of them were in the top 6 payrolls of that year (3 of which were the Red Sox) so I really don't see your point? There's no way the returning expos pay their players as much as the super-rich teams but that doesn't mean they'll lose all their games and suck.

Please use some concrete evidence when making points instead of just spewing out nonsense thank you!

Old
04-01-2014, 11:03 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
I get what you're saying and I sort of feel the same. Same reason why I don't want Phoenix to move... or I didn't like the Thrashers moving. It sucks so much for the fans that do exist, regardless of how many or few there are.

Montreal Expos Baseball.

The entire logo is an M, the red part is an E and the blue part is a B.

NO, The Expos were named after the Montreal Exposition of 1967.
commonly know as Expo 67 at the time.

Old
04-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
No one said they weren't. The logo still means "Montreal Expos Baseball"

Old
04-01-2014, 11:47 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
I remember when I was 5 and my father explained the logo to me. Blew my ****ing mind.

Old
04-01-2014, 11:55 AM
HabsByTheBay

Just finished the Jonah Keri Expos book, it's outstanding.

My respect for Loria went up, very, very slightly. He did, in a sense, try to make things better.

Loria acquired his large ownership stake mainly through cash calls, which Stephen Bronfman complains about. Problem is, Stevie, you weren't really willing to put up the money capable of financing the team (though he did chip in more than others). The real villains of the book are the consortium group of the 90s.

Charles Bronfman also didn't come off as well in the book as you'd expect. He did great at the start, and he had to deal with an annoying city and provincial government that just didn't want to accommodate the Expos over personal projects, but he forced his baseball people to make some dumb moves and he backed out on the team at a pretty bad time.

Old
04-01-2014, 11:59 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Wow that went over your head!

Old
04-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Pasquatch

Quote:
Always thought the White "L" in the logo was for "Limited", like to read "Montreal Expos Baseball Ltd"...

Eh, what do I know...

Old
04-01-2014, 04:56 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Yup, lower case expos baseball in a M for Montreal

Old
04-01-2014, 04:58 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquatch View Post
Always thought the White "L" in the logo was for "Limited", like to read "Montreal Expos Baseball Ltd"...

Eh, what do I know...
Not sure...kind of odd they would put the white in there though. You could be right

Old
04-01-2014, 05:03 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post

My respect for Loria went up, very, very slightly. He did, in a sense, try to make things better.

Loria acquired his large ownership stake mainly through cash calls, which Stephen Bronfman complains about. Problem is, Stevie, you weren't really willing to put up the money capable of financing the team (though he did chip in more than others). The real villains of the book are the consortium group of the 90s.

Charles Bronfman also didn't come off as well in the book as you'd expect. He did great at the start, and he had to deal with an annoying city and provincial government that just didn't want to accommodate the Expos over personal projects, but he forced his baseball people to make some dumb moves and he backed out on the team at a pretty bad time.
What did he say about all those bad trades? Gary Carter, Mike Marshall, Ken Singelton, Randy Johnson to name a few

Old
04-01-2014, 05:06 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post

Just bought the book today...looking forward to getting into it....I wasn't going to buy it, but this past weekend got me missing the Expos more than I thought it would...now I am hoping the Rays owner wants to move them north!!

Old
04-01-2014, 05:14 PM
Saintpatrick*

With bridges and roads falling apart there are better things to use tax payers money on. If the Expos ever do come back the stadium needs to be privately funded. I hate to say it but after a month or two the novelty will wear off and no one will go to games again.

Closed Thread