HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2014, 02:42 PM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Sportsnet is paying Jays only $225,000 per game. Or 36 million annually. That's not much compared to similar clubs. Jays are in the 7th biggest baseball market. Number one market actually as they have territorial rights to all of Canada.

In comparsion, Texas Rangers have a 20 year deal signed at $150-million (U.S.) a season. The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim get even more. A small club like the San Diego Padres are getting $75-million a season. $36 million per is chump change to what is out there

Revenue sharing will end for them in 2016. Jays need a much better tv deal.
That's Rogers keeping the money off the books so it doesn't end up part of MLB's revenue sharing. Annual rights fees are meaningless when the TV network owns the team.

Old
04-06-2014, 04:10 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Who cares? My country, my town, my rules.
that's what the charte is about

Old
04-06-2014, 04:17 PM
beenhereandthere

Did they play "Les Expos sont la" anytime during the 2 games at the Big O? Anyone who was there know?

Old
04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
That's Rogers keeping the money off the books so it doesn't end up part of MLB's revenue sharing. Annual rights fees are meaningless when the TV network owns the team.
I don't think they could do that, at least the NHL wouldn't let someone. Probably just an old contract.

Old
04-06-2014, 05:52 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
That'd be fraud.

Old
04-06-2014, 06:28 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
That'd be fraud.
Why is that fraud? They don't have competition for the Jays, so the price will remain low. Why pay 100 M a year for a TV deal, when you can do it for 20 M?

Old
04-06-2014, 07:48 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Why is that fraud? They don't have competition for the Jays, so the price will remain low. Why pay 100 M a year for a TV deal, when you can do it for 20 M?
Jays been getting 10s of millions a year in revenue sharing from MLB since it started.

Old
04-06-2014, 08:28 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Jays been getting 10s of millions a year in revenue sharing from MLB since it started.
And? If the MLB comes out and says "All teams owned by a TV Network, where the team is shown exclusively on their channel, must have a TV deal worth the average of the league."

Until then, why should they have to be the nice guys in a dirty game?

I have no real idea what I am talking about.

Old
04-06-2014, 08:41 PM
groovejuice

Don't know about Montreal, but the Expos really got me into baseball.

I'd be tickled to have them back. Totally got screwed in the strike shortened season, when they had the best full season record in the NL, but it was decided to take the split season winners.

They should have more HOFers. A geographical tragedy.

Old
04-07-2014, 03:58 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
They get revenue sharing because the media rights they own aren't on the books..well no I'm sure they are but I can guarantee Rogers isn't going to put down the rights are worth 100's of millions of dollars, that would be dumb. It would cut down on what they get. You can't get a proper valuation on tv rights when the company that owns them is showing them on their own station for peanuts. How can you tell a team owner is also a media empire "Yeah sorry you're going to have pay more to show your games"..plus all it is is money switching hands. It's all going to the same company. Sportsnet (Rogers) pays Rogers 250,000 a game..HMM I wonder where the money is going? It starts with an R.

If Rogers ever sold their media rights the value would skyrocket. But then they'd have to split that up amongst revenue sharing which we all know they would be stupid to do. Rogers could treat the Jays like the Yankees but they're not dumb, they're in it to make money and treat it like a business.

Old
04-07-2014, 05:03 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
And? If the MLB comes out and says "All teams owned by a TV Network, where the team is shown exclusively on their channel, must have a TV deal worth the average of the league."

Until then, why should they have to be the nice guys in a dirty game?

I have no real idea what I am talking about.
And??? Can't you see it?

If Jays are making more money from tv revenue than they are reporting, as alleged by some posters here, they are duking the other clubs out of revenue sharing money. In some years a lot of money. For example in 2005, MLB paid Toronto 34 million from revenue sharing.

Way revenue sharing is all 30 clubs pay into a pool. Every year the total amount would be different depending on how much they made. The teams whose revenue is below the average receive revenue sharing money. For example, last year Jays received 15 million, while Houston received 46 million. The less total revenue a team has the bigger revenue share they receive.

Last edited by BrimStone64: 04-07-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old
04-07-2014, 07:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMTL46 View Post
14,000 attendance for a Friday night game last night in Tampa.
Unfortunately much better crowds for them this weekend, 30 000 on Saturday and almost 23 000 on Sunday. Much better average then the first 4 games against the Jays

Old
04-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Burke the Legend

I assume Rogers still has to bid on the TV rights, I would be really surprised if MLB let them negotiate exclusively since it does exactly what people have claimed, basically cheats the revenue sharing formulas. So far in Canada nobody else has made a serious bid at the contract, maybe it will change now that TSN has lost a lot of hockey content.

Old
04-07-2014, 09:17 AM
AllanMTL46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Unfortunately much better crowds for them this weekend, 30 000 on Saturday and almost 23 000 on Sunday. Much better average then the first 4 games against the Jays
But kinda predictable. Anxious to see how things will go in the long run this season. This team has been good for years and can't even sell out a playoff game...

Old
04-07-2014, 09:25 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I assume Rogers still has to bid on the TV rights, I would be really surprised if MLB let them negotiate exclusively since it does exactly what people have claimed, basically cheats the revenue sharing formulas. So far in Canada nobody else has made a serious bid at the contract, maybe it will change now that TSN has lost a lot of hockey content.
As I think about it can't help but wonder how much Bell is behind this big Expos push? Where they own TSN.

Old
04-07-2014, 09:27 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
And??? Can't you see it?

If Jays are making more money from tv revenue than they are reporting, as alleged by some posters here, they are duking the other clubs out of revenue sharing money. In some years a lot of money. For example in 2005, MLB paid Toronto 34 million from revenue sharing.

Way revenue sharing is all 30 clubs pay into a pool. Every year the total amount would be different depending on how much they made. The teams whose revenue is below the average receive revenue sharing money. For example, last year Jays received 15 million, while Houston received 46 million. The less total revenue a team has the bigger revenue share they receive.
I don't see it as revenue, but just expenses on Rogers. Why spend 100 M a years on rights when you can do it for any cost, since you win no matter what? (It's not really a monopoly when you own the team, right?).

I don't see it as wrong, since I feel legal business trades are already shady. They have a way to bring money into the organization, legally, collect revenue sharing. If they were doing something illegal, wouldn't MLB cry foul? (Again, the purpose of this is in LA, a bidding war among channels happens, thus the price of the contract is raised. In TO, no bidding war, price is much lower)

Old
04-07-2014, 09:30 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Quote:
Rogers got the NHL contract without a bidding war. In construction, you can get around going for tender by talking directly with one contractor and making them a "partnership". I wonder if TV deals can be struck in a similar manner. (Why would anyone want to go against Rogers for the Jays, when they own the team? I can't see how anyone would waste their time)

Old
04-07-2014, 10:20 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
I don't see it as revenue, but just expenses on Rogers. Why spend 100 M a years on rights when you can do it for any cost, since you win no matter what? (It's not really a monopoly when you own the team, right?).

I don't see it as wrong, since I feel legal business trades are already shady. They have a way to bring money into the organization, legally, collect revenue sharing. If they were doing something illegal, wouldn't MLB cry foul? (Again, the purpose of this is in LA, a bidding war among channels happens, thus the price of the contract is raised. In TO, no bidding war, price is much lower)
I suspect this alleged Jays tv revenue is not there. For I have Sportsnet in my satellite package, pay $58 a month for between 100-125 channels. Whatever share Sportsnet gets out of that...i would guess a buck per month, likely less. Doing a search found Comcast offering NESN for $13 per month. Big difference in price. The question would I pay $13 per month to watch Blue Jays games? I wouldn't...just not that big a fan of baseball. Canadians in generally, are just not as enthusiastic over baseball as people are in parts of USA.

Would Quebecers pay $13 per month to watch Expos games? I would early on..but not over long term. Habs games on other hand, if only way to watch, I would definitely pay $13 per month to watch all their games.

Old
04-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Burke the Legend

No way TSN/Sportsnet get less than 1$.

Old
04-07-2014, 11:13 AM
PernellKarl76

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...ing-spree.html

Here is a good article that somewhat explains revenue sharing in terms of regional TV deals

The Blue Jays have Canada as a region, from what I can tell they aren't treated like an MLB national contract that would have to be shared between the rest of the other teams.

Old
04-07-2014, 11:24 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
No way TSN/Sportsnet get less than 1$.
That's about what I pay. I have the sports theme...must be 10-12 channels. Been getting it for $5...but went up to $10 this year. RDS, Sportsnet, 360, TSN, TSN2, GOLF, Speed, OLN, plus 3 or 4 others.

Old
04-07-2014, 10:01 PM
coolasprICE

Liberal majority is good news for Expos hopeful!

Old
04-08-2014, 01:04 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Not necessarily. The Liberals didn't want to help fund the arena in Québec. You think they'll want to build a baseball stadium without a team?

Old
04-08-2014, 06:14 AM
AllanMTL46

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Not necessarily. The Liberals didn't want to help fund the arena in Québec. You think they'll want to build a baseball stadium without a team?
They did?

Old
04-08-2014, 07:33 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Yes it is. But I think PQ handed it to them more than Liberals won. She sealed her faith when she admitted wanting a referendum soon. Bloc were wiped out federally, and the PQ just suffered their worst defeat. Sovereignty is what Quebec does not want to face right now. Too many still remember the '90s economic situation in Quebec. Expos, Nordiques plus many other things are gone because of it and still never achieved separtion.

Closed Thread