HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Closed Thread

Old
07-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Burke the Legend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
I've been there many, many, many times....

I can buy the Olympic stadium Is crap argument but not the location. No way. If you want to see a game, if this location bums you out so much that you wouldn't go, then I don't much hope in the expos ever coming back. It's been explained and I still don't see it.

Sure a 'downtown' stadium would be perfect but if nobody shows up to see the expos because it's 'mildly inconvenient' to go see them because the location is not ideal, I don't see them ever making it here.

Montrealers want to be downtown where the action is, not take a 30 minute packed, sweaty metro ride to the crappy east end where there's nothing to do before or after the game. You are really downplaying this aspect of culture here.

Old
07-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Runner77

vCash: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
Montrealers want to be downtown where the action is, not take a 30 minute packed, sweaty metro ride to the crappy east end where there's nothing to do before or after the game. You are really downplaying this aspect of culture here.
"Crappy east end". Maybe you should get out more.

The area around the Big Owe is not at all representative of the East End -- that neighborhood adjacent to and between Pie-IX and Viau metro stations is amongst the poorest in Montreal. Quite the contrast when millions of dollars keep getting poured into an unrepairable stadium roof.

That said, I agree with the premise that your season ticket holders tend to be corporate and are best served with a central location like the downtown area. While the team shouldn't only cater to corporations, it's also practical for your non-corporate fan coming from all areas. Downtown is an easier environment to keep patrons spending, helping the city's economy at the same time.

Old
07-28-2014, 01:24 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Not only is the location brutal, the stadium itself is horrible. Baseball is a summer sport meant to be watched outdoors. Going to a baseball game is much more than just watching the game, it is the experience of going to the ball park. Having gone to Fenway Park and to a much lesser extent Rogers Centre (when the roof was open) the atmosphere was completely different than going to a crappy oversized indoor stadium.

An outdoor DOWNTOWN stadium and more games against New York, Boston and Toronto and the sport will work in Montreal. I don't have any doubts.

Old
07-29-2014, 05:15 PM
KrejciMVP

I love the Big Owe, Ive been to Fenway many times but for some reason I always have a blast watching baseball in the dome. However I'd watch baseball from a sinkhole if you asked to me too.

Old
07-30-2014, 08:29 AM
coolasprICE

The biggest supporters of baseball in Montreal, meaning, the loyal season ticket holders, were majority anglophone canadian's / jewish community.

Problem with the east end location is that nobody from the east-end would go to the games. Where as a stadium in the west-island will be full of local west-islanders.

Old
07-30-2014, 08:54 AM
BrimStone64

Been watching Blue Jays last week or so. It is a little entertaining with the young arms and being in a pennant race. I particular like a Gose. It's the speed..whenever he's on base everybody in stadium knows something is going to happen

Old
08-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Been watching Blue Jays last week or so. It is a little entertaining with the young arms and being in a pennant race. I particular like a Gose. It's the speed..whenever he's on base everybody in stadium knows something is going to happen

I'm a Jays fan, born and raised and currently live in Toronto, I just wanted to say that it is exciting and a pennant race can be intense every game means something and we haven't had that in Toronto in a long time. We finally have meaningful games in August and hopefully in September. No matter where the stadium is winning cures all. In saying that however I agree to a certain degree about a need for the stadium to be around a busy local area downtown with easy access. Nothing better to hit up a bar or pub before/after a game for something to eat or drink. For example the Rogers Centre is literally a 5-10 min walk from Union Station. You walk outside Union Station and you have a Jack Astors across the street, there are bars and restaurants all around the area. I think location is key, a downtown stadium a few blocks from the closest metro station and bars and pubs would be ideal. As a Jays fan and Torontonian I'd love to see Montreal get a team back.

Old
08-11-2014, 02:04 PM
HabsByTheBay

20 years ago today was the last Expos game of the 1994 season.

They lost 4-0 to the Pirates in Pittsburgh, ending a three game winning streak. They were 74-40 and 6 games up on the Atlanta Braves.

Old
08-11-2014, 02:46 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Considering MLB implemented the wild card during the 1994 season, it is not far fetched that the Braves and Expos would have had multiple playoff battles during the mid/late 90's. That alone would have been enough to build a new downtown stadium (two blocks south from the Bell Centre). The Braves won a World Series in 1995, Expos could have won multiple championships with that core.

Old
08-11-2014, 02:58 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HH View Post
Considering MLB implemented the wild card during the 1994 season, it is not far fetched that the Braves and Expos would have had multiple playoff battles during the mid/late 90's. That alone would have been enough to build a new downtown stadium (two blocks south from the Bell Centre). The Braves won a World Series in 1995, Expos could have won multiple championships with that core.
So true, and it still hurts...

Old
08-11-2014, 04:31 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm a Jays fan, born and raised and currently live in Toronto, I just wanted to say that it is exciting and a pennant race can be intense every game means something and we haven't had that in Toronto in a long time. We finally have meaningful games in August and hopefully in September. No matter where the stadium is winning cures all. In saying that however I agree to a certain degree about a need for the stadium to be around a busy local area downtown with easy access. Nothing better to hit up a bar or pub before/after a game for something to eat or drink. For example the Rogers Centre is literally a 5-10 min walk from Union Station. You walk outside Union Station and you have a Jack Astors across the street, there are bars and restaurants all around the area. I think location is key, a downtown stadium a few blocks from the closest metro station and bars and pubs would be ideal. As a Jays fan and Torontonian I'd love to see Montreal get a team back.
What did you think of 19 inning game? I'd like to see Jays use speed more. They had speed back in their winning years. Robbie and Devo they could fly. On turf you need speed cut off the alleys more and on offense take advantage of good track to run on.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:42 PM
BLONG7

20 yrs ago today, THE Strike.....1994
Donald Fehr.........

Old
08-12-2014, 06:16 PM
oberan1

Quote:
Could not agree more. I was in San Diego the first week of this past July and there was a game against the Giants at Petco Park. That park is smack in the core of what seemed like an entertainment district, mere blocks from the downtown business center, so to speak. Right across the street from the waterfront and is an open air park.

It was a late afternoon game and the atmosphere around the park was buzzing. Lots of bars, pubs, restaurants, all packed with people before the game. Lots of lots of people walking up to the park, buying tickets off ATM-type machines dispensing tickets. Hate to repeat myself, but the atmosphere is what really struck me. And their team really sucks this year! And I'm going to assume they have a rivalry with the Giants, being another California team.

I think Montreal would have the same atmosphere - if not better. We all know about Montreal's night life, its restaurant scene, etc, etc. It's cultural personality (for lack of a better word at the moment) would only enhance the experience. Games against th Jays, Yankees and Sox would add to the atmosphere.

I too have no doubt it would work, but only with a downtown park. Petco was a serious eye-opener for me.

Old
08-12-2014, 07:53 PM
BrimStone64

The Expos of that era made one move which team great. Something I thought Habs could try and it may pay big dividends. Not to degree Expos did but help out nonetheless. Expos hired a guy from another organization, and he knew their farm system inside out. It directly led to trading for John Wettleland, Pedro Martinez and Darrin Fletcher. Outside of Kevin Kennedy the Expos did not know much of these players. It was on his urging they went after them

Old
08-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Chili

Kevin O'Leary's take.

Pretty much summed things up.

Old
08-14-2014, 09:01 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Kevin O'Leary's take.

Pretty much summed things up.
That was a good interview. Especially liked the part about government sucking the money away from the workers. He said 1/3 of tax dollars in Quebec is being wasted and its killing the small business.

Old
10-25-2014, 06:26 PM
PernellKarl76

vCash: 50
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...m-to-montreal/

Sadly I think Montreal will be what Los Angeles is to the NFL.... leverage for a new stadium

Old
10-27-2014, 04:13 AM
BrimStone64

Quote out of NY Times

"And according to sources, Sternberg has had discussions with wealthy Wall Street associates about moving the Rays to Montreal, which has been without a major-league franchise since the Expos were transferred to Washington in 2005. As one major-league official put it to me Friday: “Say what you will about Montreal, but the Expos drew well over two million fans four times there in their heyday, while the Rays did that only once, their first year."

Old
10-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellKarl76 View Post
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...m-to-montreal/

Sadly I think Montreal will be what Los Angeles is to the NFL.... leverage for a new stadium
After our friend Jeffrey Loria's recent con job of Miami, I can't think of a place worse than Florida to attempt some stadium blackmail.

Old
10-27-2014, 06:10 PM
MTLAzzurri

Montrealers are the type of people who tell their boss they need a big raise and the corner office and then they'll start working harder.

We had an MLB team, and we blew it. Don't whine for a new down town stadium when even in 94 you were too lazy to take the metro for 20 minutes.

Old
10-27-2014, 06:18 PM
Runner77

vCash: 88
Montrealers who can afford to pay for a team, are the kind of people that now live in Toronto.

There was a reason Brochu's consortium of disinterested businessmen was handed the helm -- if we had better, someone else would have vied for the team.

You can't keep bleeding a product and expect fans to buy into it. When your team conducts fire sales every year, you can't build a brand, a season ticket base and ultimately, secure major revenue streams.

Reality is different now in Quebec, with a lot more media money available. However, if Washington waited 33 years for MLB to come back, why would they allow Montreal to re-enter the fold with only 10 years out? Not going to happen. The same tightwads that sank the Expos ship' in Montreal are still amongst the "leading" Quebec elites -- we'll need to see a new generation of billionaires stepping up -- and by the look of our economy, it ain't happening soon.

Old
10-27-2014, 08:00 PM
MJN79

The Rays need a new stadium and after the fiasco with Loria and the publicly financed stadium in Miami where he basically lied to tax payers that they needed a new baseball stadium, I dont see the public sector financing a new stadium in Tampa Bay. If relocation is a possibility in the next few years, what other cities in the USA can have a chance at a new team?

The Rays have lost their GM to the Dodgers and their all star coach, it seems like things are on the downfall in TB.
Montreal has a chance to possibly get an established franchise and not an expansion one. We would need a new stadium downtown or in Griffintown maybe, that would be awesome in the summer. With mayor Coderre's excitement for the return of baseball, I think we might have a chance with TB if things keep going sour there. Lets keep our fingers crossed!!!

Old
10-28-2014, 05:13 AM
Eagle Eye Cherry
guitar player

I say we should build a downtown stadium in the Griffintown area of Montreal. It's kinda like south downtown. There's available space there, just tear down some of the abandoned buildings in the area.

Old
10-28-2014, 06:02 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner77 View Post
"Crappy east end". Maybe you should get out more.

The area around the Big Owe is not at all representative of the East End -- that neighborhood adjacent to and between Pie-IX and Viau metro stations is amongst the poorest in Montreal. Quite the contrast when millions of dollars keep getting poured into an unrepairable stadium roof.

That said, I agree with the premise that your season ticket holders tend to be corporate and are best served with a central location like the downtown area. While the team shouldn't only cater to corporations, it's also practical for your non-corporate fan coming from all areas. Downtown is an easier environment to keep patrons spending, helping the city's economy at the same time.
I suggest you follow your own advice, it's clearly not what it was 20 or 30 years ago, the area is changing, fast, and for the better.

Old
10-28-2014, 06:23 AM
PernellKarl76

vCash: 50
If a Montreal team could get a national TV territory you'd have to think this would be a no-brainer for Bell to fill programming all summer on TSN and RDS

Closed Thread