HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would Montreal Welcome the Expos Back

Old
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Even if the Expos did break 20,000 fans a game in 1994, you shouldn't need 1st place in the league to achieve mediocre attendance figures.

You guys who blame Fehr, Selig, etc for the Expos leaving town are absurd.
That's the problem with the Expos in Montreal. They had to be in 1st place, on a hot streak and people had nothing elkse to do, then maybe 25k turn out. If the Habs were still playing or something only 10k would show up. Lack of revenue led to a constant exodus of good players out the door every off season and eventually to no team.

Thinking a new outdoor stadium was a long term answer is purely living in a dream world. It might be ok for 4-5 years then die another slow death.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 09:17 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
The last thing the city of Montreal needs is a publicly funded overpriced stadium so the baby boomers can relive the 80s.
However, a privately funded stadium is another matter completely... you just don't see that happening any more. Everyone has their hands out for government funding.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 01:54 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
That's the problem with the Expos in Montreal. They had to be in 1st place, on a hot streak and people had nothing elkse to do, then maybe 25k turn out. If the Habs were still playing or something only 10k would show up. Lack of revenue led to a constant exodus of good players out the door every off season and eventually to no team.

Thinking a new outdoor stadium was a long term answer is purely living in a dream world. It might be ok for 4-5 years then die another slow death.
Yeah, no MLB team has ever moved from a horrible stadium to a good one and seen a long-term attendance boost.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
KrejciMVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
Yeah, no MLB team has ever moved from a horrible stadium to a good one and seen a long-term attendance boost.
wasn`t the old Cleveland stadium terrible before the moved to the Jake and had that sellout streak?

KrejciMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:27 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

So the vast majority of Southern Quebec and Eastern Ontario are not sports fans, and every team is doomed to go out of business in Montreal the second they stop winning championships? If so, that says a lot about the city and the area....and it's not flattering (or IMO, all that true)

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:37 PM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
wasn`t the old Cleveland stadium terrible before the moved to the Jake and had that sellout streak?
It definitely didn't hurt.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...E/attend.shtml

Notice the 14k average attendance valut from the last year at Cleveland Stadium to Jacobs Field? And nine years in the top five afterwards with multiple 40k average attendance. DIdn't hurt that the teams didn't suck ass either, but it's also a market harder hit economically, and half the size of Montreal.

Actually it makes you wonder if they would have been better to have stayed at League Park. They had one 30k+ season in almost five decades there (and they had to win a World Series for that) and decades of less then 10k. Even thought they're back to being pretty below average, the attendance is twice was it was at the mistake by the lake. Odd was a good park can do.

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrejciMVP View Post
I was thinking of the Giants but they work too. The Giants' worst attendance in AT&T park is better than their best attendance at Candlestick. San Francisco was widely considered as possibly the worst baseball market in America in the 70s and 80s, and the Giants nearly moved to Toronto in 1976 and to Tampa in 1992.

Almost from the second that they finally got out of Candlestick and into the downtown baseball stadium people had wanted for decades, they became a top draw and are now a cornerstone franchise that has what many consider to be some of the best fans in the league.

Absolutely no reason that cannot happen in Montreal.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 02:55 PM
TorontoSports

I really feel it could work again in Montreal with a good ball park. In Toronto we have the Dome which isn't great but it's not Olympic stadium. They are going to put a grass field in there eventually. However I'm pretty sure rogers has a long term plan for a new ballpark or retrofit of the skydome because they aren't getting the concerts and shows they used to anymore.

I'm in Vegas right now and I'm walking around with a Jays jersey and I've had two people already tell me that they wish the expos were still around. One was American (oddly enough) and another one was from La Salle...

Obviously there is a ground swell of people who miss the expos. I would think it's way more people that would miss the Impact or Als if they left.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 03:32 PM
GeorgeLebay

Apparently, David Letterman misses the Expos as well

Link

GeorgeLebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 07:05 PM
Harpo
Lyle forever

For the Expos to come back, you would need someone like Quebecor to get involved, because no investor will make money out of this unless they benefit at every level. For example, the Nordiques can be an interesting investment if you will profit from TV revenues, concessions, magazines, etc. But a baseball team and a stadium are quite a bigger investment than the Nordiques.

Maybe if the Nords are back and are a big success, we can hope for Peladeau to bring the Expos back. Then he'll be my hero. I'll subscribe to TVA Sports then.

Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 10:50 AM
MrExpos

Noel Butler ‏@TheSoccerNoel 50 min
MLB returning to Stade Olympique? @evenko press conference Tuesday 13h 00 regarding an MLB "Special Event"

MrExpos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExpos View Post
Noel Butler ‏@TheSoccerNoel 50 min
MLB returning to Stade Olympique? @evenko press conference Tuesday 13h 00 regarding an MLB "Special Event"
I'm guessing this will be to announce a couple of Blue Jays exhibition games for next spring. I'd much rather them move one whole regular season series, but if there's a game at Olympic Stadium I will definitely be there. It's been way too long.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
I'm guessing this will be to announce a couple of Blue Jays exhibition games for next spring. I'd much rather them move one whole regular season series, but if there's a game at Olympic Stadium I will definitely be there. It's been way too long.
But isn't spring training played in Florida anyways. Would probably be a regular season series, I hope anyways

Would make sense a series against our future team the Rays

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

98,5FM says August 29-30.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:26 PM
TootooTrain
-

Here you go fellas.

Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
#BlueJays are expected to announce tomorrow plans for two spring games versus #Mets at Montreal's Olympic Stadium next year.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I would love another team in Canada.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
98,5FM says August 29-30.
I've read March 29-30th. Pretty sure it's going to be pre-season. A lot of teams have one exhibition game at home (instead of Arizona or Florida) right before the first game; it looks like Toronto might be having two of them but in Montreal.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2013, 01:20 PM
Adriatic

I'm amazed how some people still think Montreal is a good sports town that will support teams. Montreal is a horrible pro sports market.

Adriatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2013, 11:03 PM
Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriatic View Post
I'm amazed how some people still think Montreal is a good sports town that will support teams. Montreal is a horrible pro sports market.
I think it's a huge challenge to:

a) compete with the Habs
b) compete with all the other events going on, especially the summer

As someone who remembers Game 1 in Shea Stadium in '69, baseball has changed so much since then. It was #1 in the US then. Football left it in the dust long ago.

MLB economics with 'haves an 'have not' teams make for perenial doormats. If Montreal gets another team and they lose evey year how long before they leave again?

Unless baseball gets a salary cap or Monteal had an ownership group with a huge bank account don't see alot of hope here, at least in the near future.

Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 05:08 AM
DAChampion

A good idea, to limit the financial damage of Montreal ever did get an MLB team, would be to put Montreal into the AL East, shifting Toronto elsewhere. Montreal would get an attendance boost whenever the Red Sox and Yankees were in town.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2013, 08:43 PM
TorontoSports

Marcel Cote wants to bring back the expos

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1497293

Quote:
He is committed to finding a group of business men and women to bring a franchise. Marcel Côté did not comment on this information today, it will return to Montreal tomorrow.

TorontoSports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 12:39 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoSports View Post
Marcel Cote wants to bring back the expos

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1497293
So many hoops to jump through to get the Expos back...not sure if it will ever happen, unless they let the Rays re-locate...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 02:48 PM
MTL-rules

Vlad has officially called it quit. I hope he gets to Cooperstown with a Expos jersey on. Great great player.

http://www.rds.ca/baseball/mlb/vlad-...rence-1.659621

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:13 PM
SB164

Anyone know of a store in Montreal with a wide selection of MLB hats? Sports Expert? Lids? Anything else?

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2013, 03:26 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Anyone know of a store in Montreal with a wide selection of MLB hats? Sports Expert? Lids? Anything else?
eBay would be the best place for a baseball hat.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote