HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's your Gregory Campbell moment?

Old
07-11-2013, 12:33 AM
deems

vCash: 500
What's your Gregory Campbell moment?

Meaning you stayed on the ice after a significant injury.

deems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:46 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I once blocked a shot with my foot which hurt like hell. The only problem is my blocking sent the puck flying up ice. I wanted to get off my foot but I had an easy, albeit labored, breakaway that I couldn't pass up. I didn't score and my foot was better a couple shifts later. Wasn't actually that bad, haha.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 07:15 AM
boo10

As a bantam, i took a glancing check which resulted in a separated shoulder. Continued to carry the puck up the ice, set up my winger for an easy goal, then went to the bench an blacked out from the pain.

boo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:08 AM
leftwinger37

Played a playoff game with a broken foot. Pretty dumb in hindsight as we ended up losing in OT. But, hey... It's the playoffs, right?

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:56 AM
roffleburger

Took a slapshot to the face from about 15 feet away, right in the cheek area (I wear a visor) on the penalty kill. The ref didn't blow the whistle because I just got back up and kept playing. My face swelled up to the size of a balloon, but nothing was broken, just really swollen for about a week. I was fortunate enough to be wearing a mouth guard and to have taken the puck directly into my jaw muscle.

roffleburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
McDugan

Hardly Campbell-esque, but in a clinic scrimmage, I hit a rut with my right skate while trying to make a quick direction-change counter-clockwise. Everything turned except for my right leg below the knee. Luckily the unexpected change in forces caused me to fall over, so I didn't wrench my knee completely to hell.

I jumped back up and sprinted back into the play, and broke up a rush, but it didn't feel right. Eventually I came off and ended up sitting the rest of the night. The next few days were pretty bad, couldn't really walk well or bend my knee more than a third of the way to 90 degrees with any weight on the leg. But my knee felt fine - confusing. Turned out I had a small stress fracture to the head of my fibula.

McDugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:32 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
i broke my collarbone getting hit from behind, i played the rest of the game, went out to the bar for beers and when i woke up i couldnt move my arm.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:36 AM
WithOutPaperss

Blocked a shot with my thumb...by accident of course. Broke it, stayed on the ice for an extra minute to clear the puck, got off and taped it up and scored 2 goals that game. Probably best moment of my 20 years of hockey. I could barely hold my stick.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:44 AM
TieClark

I got hit in the back/side of the thigh with a slapshot and could feel my leg swelling so much my pants started to feel tight but just kept playing. Looked terrible the next morning but just a bruise

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 10:57 AM
JR97

Took a high stick to the jaw when dude went for the stick lift from behind me and missed. Split my chin open pretty good and really rattled my bucket. Went to the office, got a handful of band-aids to stop the leak, then came back out and scored twice on the tail end of the 5 min. major. Ended up with about 5 stitches. My jaw wasn't broken but it hurt like a mutha fugga for a few weeks and I'm pretty sure I had a mild concussion.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I caught my skate in a rut during pickup, felt it pop. Sat on the bench for a bit and it felt fine so I got back out there.

That was pretty stupid. I had an MCL sprain.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Closest thing was trying to play through a shoulder injury. I tweaked it early in the day attempting to get out of a pool to the point I couldn't raise it over my head. I remember at one point during the game (while playing D) trying to push off an opposing player with my bad arm (right shoulder, non top hand) and it being useless with no strength and some pain. Ignored it and stopped doing that for the rest of the game and basically had no physical presence or ability to body people up.

Shoulder is good now but it took about 6-8 months before I stopped noticing it not working 100%.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:17 PM
noobman

I played two shifts with what later turned out to be a broken hand from blocking a shot. The worst part was that it was summer hockey in 2007. It was only after I tried to receive a pass and completely flubbed it due to pain that I realized something was actually wrong.

I also got undressed *and* drove myself to the hospital with that broken hand too. I also got to talk to a really cute girl in the waiting room who fainted while working at a retail store.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:16 PM
mbeam

I played a couple shifts in the last ten minutes of a game after getting concussed. Of course, at the time I had no idea but when the game ended, I stood on the ice confused, and couldn't remember anything that had happened since the hit.

A player on my team blocked a shot that sent him off for a breakaway, which he took and scored, at which time he immediately toppled over in pain grabbing his groin. Oh, he blocked the shot with his crotch. Oh, and he forgot his cup that game... I'm wincing just typing it out.

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 01:19 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Blocked a shot with my foot and was out for a couple weeks. Came back for the last game of the year when we had literally three guys on the bench and re-injured it halfway through. So I skated these 2-3 minute shifts on a bad foot. Hurt like hell but was one of my favorite games of the year because everyone bought in and battled.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:03 PM
kolankosf

Shift change and I got on the ice while a guy from the other team got on a breakaway, I managed to catch up and dive, knocking the puck away. As I was sliding head first towards the boards, I span myself to watch where the puck was and makesure I wasn't going to get ran over by the guys starting to skate around the net. Went in feet first and hurt my ankle. I stayed on the ice, by the net as a defenseman until the other guys were able to catch their breath. I got helped off the ice and sat on the bench. I ended up going home 15 mins later and couldn't put weight on my foot.

I very slowly got changed, got my stuff to my truck. No health insurance (it takes 3 months for health insurance to kick in in AB, and my Ontario insurance OHIP had expired the month before). I went to work and my bosses heard what happened, saw I could barely walk, got me on light duty. My ankle was purple and the size of a softball. One of my managers who played that night said it was probably a high ankle sprain.

3 months later, I get xrays done, and I fractured my leg just above my ankle and fractured my ankle in a few spots where I need pins in it. Im not gonna get it done because the pins could lock up my ankle permenantly..... And theres a tournament in late August!

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 05:49 PM
JR97

ouch! I hit the boards feet first full speed last winter. I picked up an errant pass at the blue line, broke in all alone on the goalie, he came to poke check, I went to go around to the open net, he stepped out into my path so I instead of running him over, I went to break behind the net but ran out of real estate and angle and blew an edge.

It hurt like a mutha fugga but I could still skate unless I really leaned on it. A few shifts later I'm in front of the net and the biggest guy out there laid me out and landed on me and my ankle buckled going from already bad to worse. Pretty stupid because it was just a drop-in. I should have bailed when I got hurt instead of trying to get my money's worth. Missed 3/4's of the season in 3 the leagues I played in.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Blocked a shot with my foot and was out for a couple weeks. Came back for the last game of the year when we had literally three guys on the bench and re-injured it halfway through. So I skated these 2-3 minute shifts on a bad foot. Hurt like hell but was one of my favorite games of the year because everyone bought in and battled.
I love those types of games where you have 7 or 8 skaters and everyone understands what needs to be done. A memorable one is where our team had 8 (guy ejected for fighting like 10 mins through, so then 7) skaters. It was against our rival who had our number for a streak of games. I remember at one point on the ice noticing that it looked like we were playing a system without actually communicating anything out. A little 1-3-1 action was out there and against a team that uses its D to send homerun passes when they are down or are getting controlled, it worked like a charm with the only goals against coming 3-5.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 09:44 PM
iLandHer

Broke my wrist in a semi-final game of a tournament on a breakaway collision with a goalie (I did score). Didn't miss a shift and contributed to us advancing to and winning the finals. I later needed surgery to repair it and torn ligaments.

iLandHer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 03:35 PM
WithOutPaperss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeam View Post
I played a couple shifts in the last ten minutes of a game after getting concussed. Of course, at the time I had no idea but when the game ended, I stood on the ice confused, and couldn't remember anything that had happened since the hit.

A player on my team blocked a shot that sent him off for a breakaway, which he took and scored, at which time he immediately toppled over in pain grabbing his groin. Oh, he blocked the shot with his crotch. Oh, and he forgot his cup that game... I'm wincing just typing it out.
I had the first story happen to me. I got kneed in the back of the head one game (some moron tried to jump over me while I was down). Anyway I felt fine but in the last 10 minutes or so I blacked out on the bench. I didn't say anything since it was game 3 (game 7 essentially) and we were only up by 1. It must have been minor because I felt not symptoms after a day or two.

WithOutPaperss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 04:25 PM
mbeam

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithOutPaperss View Post
I had the first story happen to me. I got kneed in the back of the head one game (some moron tried to jump over me while I was down). Anyway I felt fine but in the last 10 minutes or so I blacked out on the bench. I didn't say anything since it was game 3 (game 7 essentially) and we were only up by 1. It must have been minor because I felt not symptoms after a day or two.
That's good that you healed quickly. I had a headache for about a week and the day after it happened, I had a couple moments where some scary things occurred (like not being able to read which bottle was shampoo and which was conditioner - words wouldn't process).

mbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:05 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

A few months ago, my High School team was in the playoffs. During worm-ups for the semi-finals, my dumbass teammate fired a slap shot, and broke my hand. Played in that game, and in the state finals with basically one hand.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 07:14 PM
Steelhead16

I've had more than a few but the 2 most interesting/embarrassing ones........Cruised into the zone with the puck between both defensemen, gave a drop pass to my winger trailing the play. I coasted toward the net to screen the goalie and took my teammates slap shot on the back side of my cup. Smashed my business between the puck and the cup.

Other one, I was racing from the opposite side of the net to cut off a puck carrier before he could get around the net. He saw me coming and sped up and we met forehead to forehead right behind the net at full speed. I got up (he did not) and tried to play the puck. I had tunnel vision and could only see in black and white. I couldn't hit the puck because it looked really far away (like it was down a long hallway). The tunnel vision cleared up but I didn't see color for a week. Finished that game and played 2 more that week in black and white.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 10:41 AM
beth

I split my elbow open during the second shift of my game (despite the pads). Got stitches afterwards. Felt like a badass.

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2013, 11:31 AM
SpringfieldSkins

Nothing too bad. Blocked a shot off of the outside side of my foot. Went back to the bench because of the pain and then played through the rest of the game with the pain.

Could barely walk the next day but I don't think anything was broken so it wasn't too bad.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote