HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Karlsson: "I'm sure I'll be able to skate 100% when season starts."

Old
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
tony d
Real Super Mario

vCash: 500
Hopefully he'll be back to his old self soon. You have to wonder if he rushed back to quickly from that injury.

08-14-2013, 09:35 AM
Prattalot

I cut my finger down to the down and had a numb finger tip for years afterwards. It felt strange but worked just as well as it ever did and several years later the numbness slowly went away. It'll take time but he should be fine.

Prattalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:38 AM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Hopefully he'll be back to his old self soon. You have to wonder if he rushed back to quickly from that injury.
No, he had no more chance of getting injured than usual.

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Rand0m

He'll be fine, I think for long term purposes, it's actually better that it's not feeling "right" too quickly.

The problem is if things feel good too quickly and the area isn't properly healed he could easily get re-injured. This way, he's doing the proper work and rehab and before we know it, Karlsson will be back to his former self.

Rand0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
He'll be fine, I think for long term purposes, it's actually better that it's not feeling "right" too quickly.

The problem is if things feel good too quickly and the area isn't properly healed he could easily get re-injured. This way, he's doing the proper work and rehab and before we know it, Karlsson will be back to his former self.
Thanks. That's good to know. Cool having a doctor from the future posting here.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:01 AM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinManLee View Post
November 20th in OTT
January 14th @ MIN

I want Neil/Kassian/Smith to avenge still.
I wouldn't bet my house on this happening:

Heatley Hate Fest: Neil bustles him then nothing else, Senators lose.
Cooke Hate Fest: Cooke helps score winner, leaves unscahted.

This team just doesn't seem to find an emotional level or focus to send a message unfortunately. Maybe that will change with a new captain. As for Karlsson, a different Karlsson isn't necessarily a bad thing. The long-term goal isn't Norris trophies, it's the Cup. If the new Karlsson sacrifices a few points for an improvement on his already-sterling defensive play then we need less offense, less magic from Anderson and are already in playoff mode...

As the big boss said, it's a team game...

BuckyDornster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
I wouldn't bet my house on this happening:

Heatley Hate Fest: Neil bustles him then nothing else, Senators lose.
Cooke Hate Fest: Cooke helps score winner, leaves unscahted.

This team just doesn't seem to find an emotional level or focus to send a message unfortunately. Maybe that will change with a new captain. As for Karlsson, a different Karlsson isn't necessarily a bad thing. The long-term goal isn't Norris trophies, it's the Cup. If the new Karlsson sacrifices a few points for an improvement on his already-sterling defensive play then we need less offense, less magic from Anderson and are already in playoff mode...

As the big boss said, it's a team game...
release the lehner

Old
08-14-2013, 10:59 AM
HavlatMach9

best summer workout? Even better than last years? daymn son

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:02 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanW View Post
Before people freak out too much about Karlsson saying that his Achilles does not feel right, all players say the exact same thing when coming back from this injury. I remember Selanne saying it when he was coming back, and the player from Van (sorry, his name escapes me) warned about that when Karlsson was first injured. It takes a long while to get used to it, but it does not take away any mobility or speed.
Kevin Bieksa, and yeah, he took awhile to get back to normal. But he did.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:05 AM
Milan the God*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCool16 View Post
Kevin Bieksa, and yeah, he took awhile to get back to normal. But he did.
I think he's referring to Salo, actually.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:25 AM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Nope, it's Bieksa.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...886/story.html

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:26 AM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
Maybe, I think I remember Salo tearing his tendon, and he's had so many injuries that there must be some tendon-related stuff in there somewhere.

Bieksa did get his sliced though and he missed significant time, came back looking uncomfortable, and eventually returned to normal.

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:42 AM
Properly Puemped Up

Quote:

He was cut by a skate so technically him getting reinjured would be by another skate, wouldn't it? His leg is healed, he wouldn't have played in the playoffs if it wasn't. That's also where the achilles would have torn due to strain/overuse if it was going to.

Bottom line is he has to learn to play with whatever combination of reduced feeling/tingling he has. Try to imagine walking without the feeling of your foot touching the ground. Or, better yet, sit on a leg until your foot is numb and try to walk. Not easy.

Properly Puemped Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:56 AM
corksens

Salo is nowhere near the same case.

A ruptured tendon is vastly different than a laceration. Not to mention the over a decade difference in age.

corksens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:17 PM
4thlinescrub
scrub

I'm not confident Karlsson will ever be the same player again.

4thlinescrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:29 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Why aren't you confident? Other players who have suffered the same injury have fully recovered. Just look at Selanne. He had his achillies tendon cut and he is still playing at an all star level. According to him, it took him 6+ months to make him feel normal again. Karlsson will fully recover from this and he will still play like an all star.

Last edited by The Cake Is A Lie: 08-14-2013 at 12:41 PM.
The Cake Is A Lie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Properly Puemped Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Ever22 View Post
Why aren't you confident? Other players who have suffered the same injury have fully recovered. Just look at Selanne. He had his achillies tendon cut and he is still playing at an all star level. According to him, it took him 6+ months to make him feel normal again. Karlsson will fully recover from this and he will still play like an all star.
Bieksa had a great season the year after his injury, Selanne had over a ppg the year after his injury. There's no reason to think Karlsson won't return to his identical form. He knows how his leg feels and we have to believe him.

Old
08-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Rand0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
Thanks. That's good to know. Cool having a doctor from the future posting here.
First of all you have no idea what my background and experience is. Second, I've had a significant number of sports related injuries throughout my life, some chronic injuries, some were one time injuries. Some needed short recovery times others required intensive rehab so although I'm no doctor, I've spoken to enough of them and have personally read up a lot on it.

In Karlsson's situation, from all the information made publicly available, he had a straight 70% cut to the tendon, the rest of the organs seemed to have been mostly unaffected. With clean cuts (and not tears) it's much easier to properly stitch it up and expect a total recovery, the nice thing is they shouldn't have needed to cut any portion of the tendon which is often done in other types of injuries (in chronic shoulder injuries, they often shorten a part of a tendon to "tighten" it). With Karlsson, they re-attached the tendon and gave it time to heal, tendons typically take 8-12 weeks to heal (not fully but enough to begin some rehab) and then proper rehab is needed to regain strength and stability. I'm sure Karlsson had the best medical treatment available on top of the fact he's a young elite athlete, had no prior injury to that part and is incredibly determined to get better.

So for Karlsson, he needed to get the tear repaired, let it heal properly and then start rehab. Rehab isn't focused exclusively on the repaired tendon but the surrounding support structure. Some injuries can be "healed" relatively quickly but things like nerve regeneration can take anywhere from 6months to years before they properly regenerate (the younger the patient, the faster it typically happens). Sounds like this is currently the case with Karlsson, the injury is healed, the rehab and strength on the surrounding support structure is coming along nicely but the nerve regeneration is still happening so he doesn't have much feeling down there (it also depends on what type of damage the nerves sustained, crushed, cut, torn...).

The thing with quickly feeling fine is that the proper rehab for the supporting structure is often then rushed and the risk of injuring something else in that area is greater. By being aware of the injury due to lack of feeling, it makes the patient way more careful and attentive which can only be good long term. Eventually confidence comes back and he can be back to his pre-injury self (maybe even better because he may be focusing his workouts in ways he never did before and they can be beneficial)

TLDR: tendons can heal relatively fast depending on the injury type, rehab has to be done on the injured tendon but also the surrounding support structure. Nerve regeneration can take much longer (which seems to be the case here) but doesn't necessarily affect the "mechanics".

Rand0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:19 PM
johan f

Thankyou Aleks for a very informational post. Good job.

johan f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:25 PM
Stylizer1
Strickly Butter Baby

vCash: 709
Still not convinced it was actually cut 70%.

I think he will come back better than he was.

Stylizer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Icelevel
Never Go Full Eugene

Quote:
First of all you have no idea what my background and experience is.
with all due respect, none of us (including yourself) know anything about how erik karlsson will heal not to mention most of us only know what we've heard from 3rd parties.
Erik karlsson can't say for sure that he will heal 100% and neither can his doctors. Because it is not a certainty and it hasn't happened yet.
You saying that he will be "back to his former self" is irrelevant along with your "background and experience" in this situation because we are talking predictions.
It's like saying Matt Puempel will score 30 goals in his rookie year with ottawa. And you know that because you you've played hockey and scored 30 goals yourself.

Basically, let's wait and see....., and keep our fingers crossed......, and never forget what matt cooke did.

Old
08-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Properly Puemped Up

Quote:
with all due respect, none of us (including yourself) know anything about how erik karlsson will heal not to mention most of us only know what we've heard from 3rd parties.
Erik karlsson can't say for sure that he will heal 100% and neither can his doctors. Because it is not a certainty and it hasn't happened yet.
You saying that he will be "back to his former self" is irrelevant along with your "background and experience" in this situation because we are talking predictions.
It's like saying Matt Puempel will score 30 goals in his rookie year with ottawa. And you know that because you you've played hockey and scored 30 goals yourself.

Basically, let's wait and see....., and keep our fingers crossed......, and never forget what matt cooke did.
Karlsson can say what he wants, you don't have to pick apart semantics. Yes, the future is uncertain, but he's saying that he thinks he will be 100% when the season starts. Players with this injury recover well, so it is reasonable to make this claim.

While one cannot come to decisions based on single cases, if he has information about how the healing and rehab process works combined with accounts of other players' injuries, why wouldn't you want to use that information?

Old
08-14-2013, 10:29 PM
costermonger
sans classe

Quote:
That's a terrible simile. It's like saying Matt Puempel will score 30 goals in his rookie season after he has already scored 10 in the first 20 games, and the stats show the last 10 kids who did that managed to reach 30, etc. We don't need to throw darts at a board and make wild prognostications about Karlsson with no basis in fact - he had a type of injury that is very well understood, has a very effective treatment with a high rate of total recovery, and nothing has been said or happened to indicate he's anywhere but well ahead of the recovery curve - including his complaint about it feeling weird.

costermonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:38 AM
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Well he's headed back to Ottawa, we can see if he has at least lost the limp.

Erik Karlsson ‏@ErikKarlsson65 8h
Omw back to Ottawa excited.!

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 08:30 AM
duckstreet

I wouldn't worry too much about his statements regarding feeling.

For anyone who has not had major surgery: the incision can take just as long to heal as the injury being repaired. Especially if there was nerve damage along the way. Nerves regenerate at a rate of 1mm/day (not per month as stated by other posters) but will not necessarily fuse a severed nerve.

However, that is usually just the surface feeling. The actual function of his foot can be retrained to operate without the sensory feedback that he was used to.

source: the scar from my shoulder to elbow and my numb forearm.

duckstreet is offline   Reply With Quote