HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Curious about the MTL situation...

Old
11-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Kylington
Slim Shady

vCash: 500
Curious about the MTL situation...

Ok, so if there's a thread like this please remove it (mods).

Since I live in Sweden I do not have time to watch a lot of games.

I just want to know where this team is failing? I've seen statistics, and it doesn't really tell me much. Is our defense the turd here or are we not producing enough? perhaps both?

I've seen the Subban ice time threads and DD playing bad threads as well, but I do not think those individuals and their ice time matters that much on the team as a whole, right?

But if someone could give me some better explanation I'd love to hear it. I'm sorry if this thread is repeating stuff that's been said/asked already, but as I said I haven't got to see that many games this season sadly so please bear with me

Thank you! Go Habs go!!

Kylington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Our offense has been pretty bad in our bad stretch, but our transition out of our zone hasn't been great either.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Our offense has been pretty bad in our bad stretch, but our transition out of our zone hasn't been great either.
I think what we seen happen is when we had a lot of key injuries Therrien changed the philosophy of our game a little bit to tighten up.. Now that we're getting healthier I guess it's a little hard transitioning (irony) back to a more offensive minded game.

I also did just a little bit of number adding and I know the sample is small but Prust seems to be a key injury to us when he's out. (Didn't factor OT losses just straight win/loss) He really balances out the lines well no matter where he is in lineup.

With him in lineup we're 28-18 and without were 11-10 (more towards a .500)

I think once we get back into a transition game and force turn overs we'll start to see a few win streaks again.

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:55 AM
Habs100

Being so small limits the styles of play and systems the coaching staff can use.

imo Gionta and Plekanec slowing down with age, Galchenyuk and Eller not being ready to be top tier first line players, Desharnais being useless since he signed his contract, and the Briere signing addiding nothing (so far, we should have chosen Jagr, Vinny or Ignla) have all led to the offense being unimpressive.

On defence, we're too small. Too many goals from shots from the point that Carey can't see because the defense can't clear the front of the net. One of Gorges or Diaz have to go if we re-sign Markov and Subban. (Markov-Subban-Emelin-Tinordi-Gorges/Diaz-another big dman).

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedisHab View Post

I just want to know where this team is failing? I've seen statistics, and it doesn't really tell me much. Is our defense the turd here or are we not producing enough? perhaps both?

I've seen the Subban ice time threads and DD playing bad threads as well, but I do not think those individuals and their ice time matters that much on the team as a whole, right?

But if someone could give me some better explanation I'd love to hear it. I'm sorry if this thread is repeating stuff that's been said/asked already, but as I said I haven't got to see that many games this season sadly so please bear with me

Thank you! Go Habs go!!
all offense is seriously generated by Subbanator and General Markov... the rest depends on wich line is hot, cause NONE of our lines can be considered as a consitent producer. none. we basically dont have a true 1st line... heck we dont even have a true 1st line player yet... sad but i truly believe that.
Pacioretty maybe but even him is pretty inconsistent, he will get 3-4 time a year were he scores in bunches (assits too) then will fade away for some time. we lack offensive chemistry but specially one big player like subban in offense so we can spread the danger in all zones. if the opponent can manage subban and markov they are most likely going to win.

Last edited by Montreal Impact FC: 11-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Montreal Impact FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:08 PM
Habs

We are playing at the abilities of our roster. This isn't a great team, our record is a reflection of the talent on this team.

Oh, and Therrien is a terrible coach.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:12 PM
ChoseLa

Appart from Bouillon our defence hasn't been the problem, the forwards can't score, a bit like NY. We haven't been playing that bad, but some forwards are having a very slow start.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:16 PM
LeMAD

Terrible defense and injuries up front.

But really, especially terrible defense with no one except Subban being able to get the puck out of the zone. But we knew it from the start that it would happen.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:17 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 617
This was mentioned last game on CBC. It seems like we can't get any lines going at once. It's either the EGG line or the Pleks line but they don't score at once. We basically only get offense from those 2 lines. Last year we were able to count on offense from at least 3 lines.

donghabs98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:18 PM
JuJu Mobb

We have the worst 4th line in the league.

4th line on the ice = automatic goal against

JuJu Mobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:21 PM
Kylington
Slim Shady

Thanks for all the answers Do you guys think last season was a fluke? I don't think anyone thought we'd go far in playoffs, considering we're quite inexperienced there. But I think we played great in the season overall.

Do you think a minor "rebuild" is needed? getting young guns instead of Gionta etc?

Kylington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:28 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gally11 View Post
I think what we seen happen is when we had a lot of key injuries Therrien changed the philosophy of our game a little bit to tighten up.. Now that we're getting healthier I guess it's a little hard transitioning (irony) back to a more offensive minded game.

I also did just a little bit of number adding and I know the sample is small but Prust seems to be a key injury to us when he's out. (Didn't factor OT losses just straight win/loss) He really balances out the lines well no matter where he is in lineup.

With him in lineup we're 28-18 and without were 11-10 (more towards a .500)

I think once we get back into a transition game and force turn overs we'll start to see a few win streaks again.
Dis is a good post

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Truth is we've had a rough schedule lately too and that hasn't helped. Blues and Sharks made us look really bad. I expect that we'll start winning some games again soon but it's very clear we're not a top team (if that wasn't already clear before the year started.)

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:49 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedisHab View Post

Thank you! Go Habs go!!
IMHO right now the root of the problem is that half of our top-nine forwards are under six foot and several are under 5'8" -- which is a ridiculous midget ratio for the NHL. This limits the style-of-play options for a coach who is not strategically brilliant to begin with.

We're getting better though don't give up!

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 12:52 PM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuJu Mobb View Post
We have the worst 4th line in the league.

4th line on the ice = automatic goal against
When Parros is in the linuep. Otherwise it's fine.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Tyson

If you stop the Eller line, you beat the Habs because the veterans can no longer get it done with the exception of maybe Plekanec. Habs are so badly assembled.
On D, you have two top pairing D and the rest are about 5-6 level with the exception of Emelin.
Even with new coaches, new GM, the theme remains the same. Illogical signings, continue staying small and soft. The tough guy they brought in cannot safely play a shift.
With the exception of about 8 youngsters, this team needs an overhaul!

Tyson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 02:09 PM
Doc McKenna

I think the problem is pleks. He doesn't pass the puck. Oh sure he shoots it right at the goalies chest from the top of the circle every rush he gets, but seriously the guy rarely passes the puck. I have now noticed that Gionta does the same. Since he isn't getting passes, he now elects to shoot. The line has become very selfish with bournival stuck in the middle(or wing rather) but our other line isn't doing much. The forth line has done its job and when prust and moen are playing together with white they actually produce a lot of offence, and draw penalties something that people forget.

Doc McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 02:26 PM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
When Parros is in the linuep. Otherwise it's fine.
More than fine, before the injuries, we probably had one of the better 4th lines in the league. Having both Moen and Prust on there is a luxury most teams can't boast. White between them is no slouch either, but he's looked less than fantastic with the anchors on his line, lately.

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Habs100

I've never liked White at center. He's great on draws, so having him take the draws makes sense. But he doesn't have enough skills with the puck to start a rush and maintain pressure in the O-zone. When he's center, the puck is always in our own zone. I'm hoping Prust or Desharnais or Briere win the job. Bournival should be in the top 9. But if he gets bumped out, I'd also prefer him at center over White.

Habs100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Devourers

In my personal opinion bad coaching due to poor player utilization.

1) Subban should play equivalent or more minutes to Markov, he thrives playing as a #1. Therrien is just lucky Markov has been so good, we'd be in last place had he not been.

2) Giving Desharnais, Bouillon, Parros, and any other defensive liability ice time, especially late in a game.

We could be doing better with better coaching.

Devourers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Doing everything bad ATM.

Coaching, offense, defense, transition etc...

Feels like 2012

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:32 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Terrible defense and injuries up front.

But really, especially terrible defense with no one except Subban being able to get the puck out of the zone. But we knew it from the start that it would happen.
We aren't seeing the same game then, Subban has been pretty terrible in his zone lately.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Aside from a terrible 4th line, our offense vanished.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 04:48 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 450
No offense coming from anyone that isn't Markov or Subban on a consistent basis.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 05:19 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
IMHO right now the root of the problem is that half of our top-nine forwards are under six foot and several are under 5'8" -- which is a ridiculous midget ratio for the NHL. This limits the style-of-play options for a coach who is not strategically brilliant to begin with.

We're getting better though don't give up!
This is the main problem.you don't win playing a perimeter game.....no one goes to the net except Gallagher.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote