HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alfredsson talk II

View Poll Results: Alfie leaving, Who's fault?
Alfie 115 43.07%
Murray 15 5.62%
Melnyk 137 51.31%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2013, 10:37 AM
BrawlFan

vCash: 500
Alfie leaving. Who's fault?

Pretty simple question, who's at fault here. Is it Alfie for demanding a big salary? Is it Murray for thinking he could get him for cheap and Melnyk had no idea? Is it Melnyk for not recognizing that an extra 2 million out of his "pocket" was not worth Alfie and Ryan vs McArthur and Ryan.

Personally I dont beleive Melnyk is losing money and that he is pocketing all our playoff revenue so my vote is going to Melnyk. But I wanna see your take.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:39 AM
Buckleys

I really have no sympathy for Alfredsson. I may not agree with ownership necessarily, but I don't pity someone who has made as much money as he has. And remember, there is Melnyk's story, Alfredsson's story, and the real story. Alfredsson isn't innocent in all of this, he'll say things to protect his reputation like anyone.

I thought I heard him say when he signed the last contract his plan was to retire before last season, and the extra year was tacked on essentially to bring down the cap hit. Did he not just admit to Ottawa tampering with the cap? Could that cost is a draft pick or a fine? (I am wondering if anyone legitimately knows, or if I heard him say that correctly... I am at work afterall)

Old
BK201

I've been saying this since day oine that it was our managemant. i had to cancel my season tickets there is sometyhing seriously wrong going on in this whole organization from top to bottom and I'm glad i did.

right now I'm a fan of the players with out spending money.

read Mendes article, this guy is a legit gentleman, we called him god because he is the real deal.

he again made the hero we needed when he left, he's like Batman.

Old
Sonny Lamateena

vCash: 50
Did Alfie just cost Melnyk another $3 million? He admitted the Sens asked him to circumvent the Salary Cap, the precedent for that is 3 million, a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
HavlatMach9

Well it's clear that it was about money but not sure whether Alfie asked too much or team offered too little.

I guess it's a good wake up call to the owner and team that even your captain will leave you if you take things for granted when negotiating.

For me it came down to having either Ryan or Alfie, and we're a better team going forward with Ryan.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:41 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Well it's clear that it was about money but not sure whether Alfie asked too much or team offered too little.

I guess it's a good wake up call to the owner and team that even your captain will leave you if you take things for granted when negotiating.

For me it came down to having either Ryan or Alfie, and we're a better team going forward with Ryan.
vey true but he's a UFA market dictated 5.5 6 is not far off the mark. also their whole marketing strategy was based around him it's not just another player hitting ufa status.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:42 AM
BuckyDornster
Speed kills, Del.

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
Alfie has not been the self serving one here. In fact he fell on his sword and took all the blame initially.

The twisting and shouting and self serving PR by Murray and Melnyk pushed him into coming clean.
Yep! He fell on his sword again when asked about the Detroit-Ottawa comparison, saying he regrets saying that and that both teams are competitive.
Murray being Murray, he'd rather spin and point fingers than take responsiblity for his actions, shameful for a man his age and experience.

Hope this team is gangbusters this year, if we take a step back then yikes...and if by some aberrant turn of events we deliver the Ducks at top 10 pick then super yikes.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:44 AM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Yep! He fell on his sword again when asked about the Detroit-Ottawa comparison, saying he regrets saying that and that both teams are competitive.
Murray being Murray, he'd rather spin and point fingers than take responsiblity for his actions, shameful for a man his age and experience.

Hope this team is gangbusters this year, if we take a step back then yikes...and if by some aberrant turn of events we deliver the Ducks at top 10 pick then super yikes.
too much talent here i'd be surprisd.

Old
SensFactor

Seems that what I perceived all along is what really happened.

- Alfie asks for extension with Sens with a fair raise (at least in his view)
- Sens brass thinks they can get him for much cheaper and he will obviously take another hometown discount
- Alfie doesn't want to take a hometown discount and is making negotiations tougher. Also asks BM on what supporting players will give the team a better chance at the cup.
- BM/Melynk take longer than Alfie is willing to wait to come to a conclusion on what they should offer Alfie. In the end a low-ball(home down discount) offer is made.
- Alfie doesn't feel like its going to be enough. Deadline approaches and other teams start calling him for his services.
- Alfie's begins to think "what if I left scenario". The process of leaving begins
- BM/Melynk realize that there is a possibility he might leave. Panic sets in and "blank cheque" offer is made at the 11th hour.
- Alfie is excitied to play out his last year elsewhere and his Swedish comrades in Detroit have convinced him so. He's made up his mind he's leaving.

Bye Bye Lord Alfie. You will be missed. FU Melynk!

Old
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
vey true but he's a UFA market dictated 5.5 6 is not far off the mark. also their whole marketing strategy was based around him it's not just another player hitting ufa status.
It seems more like Alfie knows that he's worth 4-5m, but wanted additional money for playing last year at a measly 1m. If he could have changed the previous contract, he would not have added that 1m year which was all to benefit the team. I understand where he's coming from.

Old
pepty
Let's win it all

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Lamateena View Post
Did Alfie just cost Melnyk another $3 million? He admitted the Sens asked him to circumvent the Salary Cap, the precedent for that is 3 million, a 1st and a 3rd round draft pick.
Of course not, because they didn't circumvent the cap, Alfie played.
They're not going to charge a team for thinking about something.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
They were talking about that on the TEAM1200. Interesting to see if that goes anywhere.

I feel better about Alfie after the presser and thought it was fair to have his say after the Sens kind of threw him under the bus when they talked about the 'blank cheque'. The truth might still be somewhere in the middle, but he's entitled to get his side of the story out there.

It will be interesting to see how this impacts his legacy with the team. Will his number still be retired, will it delay the retirement of his number? I can't see him with a front office job with the team after all this.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:47 AM
HavlatMach9

Everyone's.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Bingo Sens
Behind Enemy Lines

Today redemption is spelled A-L-F-I-E

Old
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
It seems more like Alfie knows that he's worth 4-5m, but wanted additional money for playing last year at a measly 1m. If he could have changed the previous contract, he would not have added that 1m year which was all to benefit the team. I understand where he's coming from.
well he got 5.5 so it seems like he knew he was worth more like 5.5-6 not 4-5 and got his value.

Old
M4TR1X
@MattRicks613

IMO, Melnyk's fault.

They agreed on making it up to Alfie for latching on another season and Melnyk didn't come through with what he said, even though Alfie stayed for 1 more year at $1 mil.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:49 AM
Chip Chipperson

Poll needs a 50/50 option.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckleys View Post
I really have no sympathy for Alfredsson.
This. I still believe Murray out of the 3 of them.

I will agree to what he said about the Sens as a team. I can't wait for us to kick the Wings *****.

SENS > Alfredsson

Old
McManked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 535
No ones.

I'm not blaming anyone. In fact, due to Alfie leaving the Sens are a better hockey team.

Old
Legend Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proust View Post
Ryan etc...

They might not leave, but no one will be doing Eugene Melnyk any favours.
Nor should they...

Old
DeVoice

half dozen of one six of the other...both made their beds now its just a matter to see what bed is more comfy.

Old
Buckleys

Don't get the hate for Melnyk. We might not have a team it weren't for him, and it's tough to see how Alfredsson is innocent.

Old
08-15-2013, 10:51 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
He played the year. Screw it, what's done is done IMO.

Old
Liliaceae
Sens ❤

Too bad I can't vote for 2 of them.

Old
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliaceae View Post
This. I still believe Murray out of the 3 of them.

I will agree to what he said about the Sens as a team. I can't wait for us to kick the Wings *****.

SENS > Alfredsson
booooooooooooooooooooooooo

Closed Thread