HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Training Camp Invitees

Old
08-14-2013, 08:33 PM
seafoam

vCash: 50
Potential Training Camp Invitees

Not sure if this deserves a thread or not, but anyone want to throw around some names that could be possible training camp invites?

I would welcome Adrian Aucoin to camp on a tryout, maybe even Vinny Prospal too.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:29 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Not sure if this deserves a thread or not, but anyone want to throw around some names that could be possible training camp invites?

I would welcome Adrian Aucoin to camp on a tryout, maybe even Vinny Prospal too.
Prospal is a weird situation. He was offered a position with the Blue Jackets' front office when he retires, but he hasn't shown any signs of leaning towards retirement. He'd be a great fit though, I've always been a huge Prospal fan.

I would try to invite guys from SC Bern if that's possible. Tavares' linemate was Byron Ritchie (36) but they had a lot of chemistry together there and he is a former NHL player. I'd give him an invite.

I would have invited Gilbert Brule, but he's going to Phoenix's camp.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 09:56 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:

I've made this its own thread to keep it separate from FA.

08-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Benedict Kovalchuk
Kovalchuk: A spy?

I'd absolutely love Vinny Prospal on this team, he'd bring some great veteran leadership and he's got gas in the tank yet. Maybe Ron Hainsey, if he's not on a team by then?

Benedict Kovalchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:18 PM
Sparksrus3

Quote:

Do I talk in my sleep?
Amazing!
Really.
YES these 2
Great call!

I would like to see Hugh jessiman maybe get an invite obviously for the tigers

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:19 PM
duster19

Tim Thomas

duster19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:26 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Officer Clutterbuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict Kovalchuk View Post
I'd absolutely love Vinny Prospal on this team, he'd bring some great veteran leadership and he's got gas in the tank yet. Maybe Ron Hainsey, if he's not on a team by then?
I would definitely invite Hainsey. He'd be a solid fit on this team.

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hainsey-Visnovsky
Donovan-Carkner
Strait, Hickey, Finley

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:26 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Alexei Yashin and Rick DiPietro

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 11:28 PM
DktrFaustus

i'd love prospal. i'd be more interested in him than whatever we're doing with PMB.

i haven't watched oakey at all last season. does he even have anything left?

DktrFaustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:38 AM
steveat

I have a feeling RFA Rakshani will be there. He hasn't renewed his contract with HV71. I can only assume he will try his hand at camp and if he doesn't make it, will return to the SEL or the K.

He looks good. Search youtube highlights.

There's still a crapload of UFAs though.

I would also give an invite to Martinek. Possibly some K and SEL players like Pesonen et al.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 04:55 AM
SthlmNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
I have a feeling RFA Rakshani will be there. He hasn't renewed his contract with HV71. I can only assume he will try his hand at camp and if he doesn't make it, will return to the SEL or the K.

He looks good. Search youtube highlights.

There's still a crapload of UFAs though.

I would also give an invite to Martinek. Possibly some K and SEL players like Pesonen et al.
He has signed a contract with HV71's rival Vxj.

And from what I've seen and heard he's preparing himself for yet another season in Sweden. Don't know anything about possible clauses etc, but as I said he's right up in the midst of a pre-season over here right now.
He played on a pretty stacked HV71 team last year, and this years Vxj is really good as well, so he'll be surrounded with good players.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9315

SthlmNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:20 AM
SCBdude
SC Bern 1931 / NYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post

I would try to invite guys from SC Bern if that's possible. Tavares' linemate was Byron Ritchie (36) but they had a lot of chemistry together there and he is a former NHL player. I'd give him an invite.
Ritchie is under contract without an out-clause so that's not going to happen.

Tavares' other linemate was Joel Vermin (21) a very smart and highly skilled forward who's not all that big (5'11'', 196 Ibs). JT said in a interview with Swiss television that he thinks Vermin could play in the NHL. He's the only SCB player who IMO could play in the NHL but he was drafted as an overager by Tampa this year.

So I highly doubt that there will be any SCB players in Isles training camp.

SCBdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 06:54 AM
Dan-o16

I seriously doubt there will be an high-profile training camp invites, barring significant injuries. There's just too many guys signed to contracts, ready to play. Why would the invited players even wish to come?

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:00 AM
bigd

Martinek

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:04 AM
steveat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthlmNYI View Post
He has signed a contract with HV71's rival Vxj.

And from what I've seen and heard he's preparing himself for yet another season in Sweden. Don't know anything about possible clauses etc, but as I said he's right up in the midst of a pre-season over here right now.
He played on a pretty stacked HV71 team last year, and this years Vxj is really good as well, so he'll be surrounded with good players.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=9315
Bummer. I would have thought he would at least "tryout", either that or he thinks his game needs more work? Well, we don't need him. I just wished we played him a little more than 2 games.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:18 AM
kasper11

I would definitely like to see the isles bring a vet dman to camp, force Donovan to earn a spot.

Hainsey would be perfect.

I don't see any vet forwards coming in. With Bouchard and regin we are set even if Nelson and strome start in bport.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 07:46 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I would definitely invite Hainsey. He'd be a solid fit on this team.

MacDonald-Hamonic
Hainsey-Visnovsky
Donovan-Carkner
Strait, Hickey, Finley
Hainsey might be a camp invitee but I don't understand it. He is still young, is not coming back off a serious injury, and has been a middle pairing defenseman for quite a few seasons. Maybe not spectacular but considered steady defensively and uses his good size well. Hainsey would be a good fit to upgrade our shut down D game. Snow should grab him up.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 09:18 AM
rikker

not sure who, but definitely a defensive defenceman, and a defensive netminder

Aucoin and Thomas?

rikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Hainsey might be a camp invitee but I don't understand it. He is still young, is not coming back off a serious injury, and has been a middle pairing defenseman for quite a few seasons. Maybe not spectacular but considered steady defensively and uses his good size well. Hainsey would be a good fit to upgrade our shut down D game. Snow should grab him up.
Forgot where I read it, but at least one prominent writer speculated that teams were avoiding him in revenge for his being so vocally anti-owner during the lockout

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 10:34 AM
crasherino

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
I wonder if teams are staying away from Hainsey for off ice reasons. He was a very vocal in the lockout. And, unless there's something we don't know re injuries, he is more than a serviceable Dman.

I remember reading this article a ways back. Didn't give it much credence, but perhaps they had a point.....

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...by-the-owners/

crasherino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:48 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
Thomas or some other goalie makes the most sense. I don't see a Prospal invite after signing PMB - they'd be redundant. I wonder if Steve Staios has anything left in the tank?

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 12:55 PM
MatthewBarnabysTears

vCash: 50
as long as he wants to keep playing and isn't picky about his role, I don't see any reason not to extend an invite to Martinek. He's better than Joe Finley as far as extra depth goes, and he's pretty much part of the family.

MatthewBarnabysTears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 01:25 PM
OlTimeHockey

Martinek was a perfect depth signing because he played quite well and sat happily most of the year, giving us an emergency call-up that kept the Tigers where they can develop quietly and unfettered.

Thomas....price tag might be too high but.....he's a playoff goalie, which Nabby IS NOT. I expect the playoffs this year, so Thomas might be worth the one year cap hit.

After the two above, if there's a big crease clearing d-man, I'm game.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 02:37 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBarnabysTears View Post
as long as he wants to keep playing and isn't picky about his role, I don't see any reason not to extend an invite to Martinek. He's better than Joe Finley as far as extra depth goes, and he's pretty much part of the family.
I agree, he filled in nicely last season. Nothing special but surely didn't hurt us.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2013, 03:50 PM
JRD76

I also agree about Martinek. I mean, he did put up 3 goals in 13games. Same amount of goals Viz, Hammer and Amac put up

JRD76 is offline   Reply With Quote